Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alright, Got the Ossum rear axle/diff slightly remixed to use bearing and threaded rod i had on hand and a mount to attach it to the chassi rails.

Dm7QJk0.jpg

Ive started on making the steering brake, no idea if it will work yet, turns out im making an old style drum brake.
Shown below is the drum which attaches to the wheel and the "brake pad", not sure yet if im going to have a wedge pulling into the gap or an oval rotating in there but whichever will be spring loaded so the amount of steering applied will increase the force gradually.

frUJcje.png

• Like 4

I tinkered with the DT-03 today. I rebuilt the rear shocks, changing the oil, put rear universals on, stabilisers, rear suspension shafts. and finally trimmed the body posts.  I couldn’t find anything in stock to replace the front shafts. 
I be love this car. It has had far more time and money spent on it then it really needs and, as the thread that dare not be named said, it’ll never be a racer but I don’t care. It’s brilliant fun. 

E05F22E7-2295-4B14-B463-E468B0B637A2.jpeg

2685DADD-3A7D-4A33-A5B1-2B55FE2D0132.jpeg

• Like 7

I might have possibly, accidently, definitely ordered a new DB01 from Japanese eBay.

• Like 6

Lots of great output as always everyone.@Yoshimitsu too good ! Lovely work. 

@Willy iinenice addition to your collection and love those rare gifted wheels. I think I’ve officially lost track of your collection now though! 

@lsear2905 i don’t know anything about RC boats but sounds like you’ve got a bargain and certainly looks lovely. 

No RC activity for me as between work and caring for my wife (chemo) it’s been a crazy few weeks. Any spare time I have had has been put to playing with my steam deck. If any of you are in to gaming I would thoroughly recommend it. It’s an amazing bit of kit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

@GeeWings kind words for all as usual. 

All the best to you and yours. I recently supported my Mum through chemo, oesophageal cancer. She's through the other side. 🤞

Hope things are going well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nick-W said:

I tinkered with the DT-03 today. I rebuilt the rear shocks, changing the oil, put rear universals on, stabilisers, rear suspension shafts. and finally trimmed the body posts.  I couldn’t find anything in stock to replace the front shafts. 
I be love this car. It has had far more time and money spent on it then it really needs and, as the thread that dare not be named said, it’ll never be a racer but I don’t care. It’s brilliant fun. 

TRF shocks? Interested to know what you got there. Looks great. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nick-W said:

I really like those front tires. 

• Like 1

Thanks @BuggyDad They’re the aeration buggy shocks (54028) blue Dt02 springs on the back and the springs that come with the shocks on the front. The front springs have a small red dot on the top of them but feel firmer than the dt02 reds. 
The shocks were a good deal on PL and I’d never built an aeration damper before so I thought it would be fun to try them out. 

Me too @Sogogi. I’m not sure they add anything but look so cool. 

40 minutes ago, Nick-W said:

Me too @Sogogi. I’m not sure they add anything but look so cool. 

I got those on my SuperAstute as well and they seem to work great when one runs more than usual negative camber.  It's like a support belt for the inner tread (?) to keep the spikes from wear unless you really need them while cornering hard.   Sounds gimmicky yes. :lol:

IMG_2022-5-18-181316.jpg.77b7c6d7d5d6fcd6cfa3910e67388915.jpg

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I got those on my SuperAstute as well and they seem to work great when one runs more than usual negative camber.  It's like a support belt for the inner tread (?) to keep the spikes from wear unless you really need them while cornering hard.   Sounds gimmicky yes. :lol:

IMG_2022-5-18-181316.jpg.77b7c6d7d5d6fcd6cfa3910e67388915.jpg

That Super Astute looks awesome! I’m constantly amazed at how great your fleet is. 

• Thanks 1

Last bit of T for a bit -

just unpacked the FF03, all good lightly used, paint flaking but shell undamaged 👍

image.jpg

• Like 7

Update on the WO-R - Wild One-R

My body reinforcement tape arrived and I applied some on the WO body.

up9K35fh.jpg

srGSvWzh.jpg

QlRa4Fzh.jpg

kmEGNVPh.jpg

Installed the wiring and LED bulbs for the front and rear lights. I had to redo a new one.

IWFNZTCh.jpg

qCjyExBh.jpg

Let there be light!

FeQY1OUh.jpg

s7Reat1h.jpg

While it looks funny that the entire yellow housing illuminates, I actually like it. More visible at night drive.

bVDYOoth.jpg

RXXC9U7h.jpg

fMT8Yuzh.jpg

Hope the front star-dish wheels and tires arrive this week. Can't wait to do a proper photoshoot with this one.

• Like 14

Must say as dampers go Tamiya are superior when it comes to working as they should, even the stock plastic dampers from Tamiya is working better than the bling alternatives on the market.

I smelled trouble when i saw these 3Racing oil dampers did not have a sealed/hole top and on top off that just had the standard rubber buble seal and no exrta runber band. Oil is pumping out from the top as expected, so top needs to be sealed, but thats another day. spacer.png

spacer.png

<_<
Edit: Removed rubberband on top as thought it might help to tighten top more, it helped (there was no manual, found more ppl with same issue googeling, hard to find the exact manual also)

• Sad 2

A lot of 3D printing this week-end, but this time, something really new, at least for me...

I39Y8fg.jpg

oWeeoLr.jpg

COlH0GO.jpg

2CR5aLj.jpg

And yes, right, you see a tire :-).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Looking good there @Nicadraus!   Hope you get your wheels soon. B)

For me, made an extension cable for my 1251MG (for XV02-Pro), swapped motors on my TurboOptima, and painted the driver suit to rid gloss.

IMG_2023-3-26-125731.jpg.f76609502b14408623cc43aa63aed30c.jpg

IMG_2023-3-26-125752.jpg.7a627bacee233c0b3c0c98c24008e79e.jpg

IMG_2023-3-26-125815.jpg.bf9f259c730d407506905322be0352a1.jpg

IMG_2023-3-26-125835.jpg.1d5f649e556287af570aaac6f5cb61cb.jpg

• Like 13

So. Im going to waffle here. But Ive had a beer, and Im on cloud 9. My Dad, bless him is a silver age Comic Collector. He has been all my life. I remember him buying some absolutely states of comic books. In horrific condition and me saying “Dad, why have you spent, in some cases thousands of pounds on incomplete, poor condition comics!?” And he always said to me the same thing. “Keith, as long as you get it, you can always upgrade and sell the old one on”. 

AS ive always said. My first RC was a used Tamiya M-01 Mini Cooper. However, the first RC is remember meaning something to me was Tamiya 58241. A Ford Focus WRC. So today using my Dads advice. I bought this tatty incomplete one off eBay for £110. 

o3BUYTG.jpeg

My plan was always to upgrade it, but I had one. Well at least I won one on ebay and it was going to be posted. 

Imagine my shock when half an hour later I got a notification on facebook marketplace of all places advertising a complete one, 40 miles away. So I gave my Mrs my best Puppy Dog Eye impression and promised to sell the one that Id not yet received. And off I went to get it 😁

RkfVuEJ.jpeg

Its mint and gorgeous to be fair

0r8B8Ud.jpeg

BKR6ziX.jpeg

Then imagine hearing these words off the very nice chap selling it me…..

”Dont suppose you want a Tamiya Cosworth as well?”

Yes please!

E5jaRXS.jpeg

duZxdqs.jpeg

Ill add more photos in my thread but Im now here 

1jPz4It.jpeg

Anyone wanna buy a lung or a kidney?

• Like 11

Last week, right after the photoshoot, I took the Optima Mid out for her maiden run.
I'm only posting about it now because of a busy week, and I needed to sort out pics/videos to back up the report...!

Playground conditions were nothing short of perfect, which is why I managed to skip the "contemplation phase" that usually happens to me after completing a build. A thin powdery layer of snow over crusty icy snow is an absolute treat to rip through with anything that can run fast!
And hey the Mid can run.
Thought to myself I'd take it easy, but in fact the handling felt so intuitive and resposive right from the start that it proved hard to keep it going slow.
Within minutes I was driving it almost as hard as I run my Hornet. It kept zipping and jumping flawlessly through the snow dunes and I just couldn't get enough of that, what a great feeling to drive and behold. A couple tumbles sure did happen but with no consequences, thanks also to the aforementioned weather conditions (the crusty snow would give in when crashing onto it), but the car shows to be indeed durable: after a full battery pack of spinning wheels in anger, the car came back scratchless with only the tire lettering in need of a touch up. This will obviously change when running on dirt, so I better take it as a bonus for now and get her some spik and span shelf time while I can.
Since the surface was loose, I could't tell exactly how agile the car would be on a firmer surface/tarmac but I got a good feeling about it and can't wait to find out anyway. I'll switch to the stock tires for that.

So all in all my first experience running the Mid deserved a 10 out of 10 mark, it was half an hour of absolute quality time!
I'm not feeling great in life in general lately, so this flawless maiden run really did help lightening the mood a bit. Looking forward to more.

Screenshot-20230320-004828-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20230320-005012-Video-Player.

20230322-004136.jpg

Screenshot-20230320-003816-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20230320-003532-Video-Player.
There is something about spending three months striving to build a car to your highest standards, and then driving it like you stole it the minute it's powered up. A feeling both cathartic and disturbing at the same time, for sure 🤯🤪🤠

Screenshot-20230320-003838-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20230320-004530-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20230320-005054-Video-Player.Love the sound of a belt drive!

Screenshot-20230320-005135-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20230320-005203-Video-Player.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

Last week, right after the photoshoot, I took the Optima Mid out for her maiden run.
I'm only posting about it now because of a busy week, and I needed to sort out pics/videos to back up the report...!

Playground conditions were nothing short of perfect, which is why I managed to skip the "contemplation phase" that usually happens to me after completing a build. A thin powdery layer of snow over crusty icy snow is an absolute treat to rip through with anything that can run fast!
And hey the Mid can run.
Thought to myself I'd take it easy, but in fact the handling felt so intuitive and resposive right from the start that it proved hard to keep it going slow.
Within minutes I was driving it almost as hard as I run my Hornet. It kept zipping and jumping flawlessly through the snow dunes and I just couldn't get enough of that, what a great feeling to drive and behold. A couple tumbles sure did happen but with no consequences, thanks also to the aforementioned weather conditions (the crusty snow would give in when crashing onto it), but the car shows to be indeed durable: after a full battery pack of spinning wheels in anger, the car came back scratchless with only the tire lettering in need of a touch up. This will obviously change when running on dirt, so I better take it as a bonus for now and get her some spik and span shelf time while I can.
Since the surface was loose, I could't tell exactly how agile the car would be on a firmer surface/tarmac but I got a good feeling about it and can't wait to find out anyway. I'll switch to the stock tires for that.

So all in all my first experience running the Mid deserved a 10 out of 10 mark, it was half an hour of absolute quality time!
I'm not feeling great in life in general lately, so this flawless maiden run really did help lightening the mood a bit. Looking forward to more.

Screenshot-20230320-004828-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20230320-005012-Video-Player.

20230322-004136.jpg

Screenshot-20230320-003816-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20230320-003532-Video-Player.
There is something about spending three months striving to build a car to your highest standards, and then driving it like you stole it the minute it's powered up. A feeling both cathartic and disturbing at the same time, for sure 🤯🤪🤠

Screenshot-20230320-003838-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20230320-004530-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20230320-005054-Video-Player.Love the sound of a belt drive!

Screenshot-20230320-005135-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20230320-005203-Video-Player.

Whatever challenges you have in life right now, I wish you the very best with. Small consolation but I for one think you should be very proud of this thing and hope you continue to get a great deal of enjoyment from it. Keep sharing these snowy pics. They rock. 

• Thanks 1

Glad you enjoyed driving the OM @Ferruz. That's the true benefit of this hobby (or any hobby), to have fun and a great time.

Cheers bud. Hope you'll be well. :)

@GeeWings Praying for your wife's recovery buddy. Hope she gets well soon. 

• Thanks 1

@GeeWings I'm sorry to hear about your wife's illness - I hope she is getting excellent treatment and someone is supporting you, too, I can't imagine what you're going through.

@Ferruz Our hobby gives us these moments of joy - I'm glad you appreciate them even during tough times. 

You'll all be happy to know I actually squeezed some Tamiya time into my RC'ing this weekend - Saturday night I ran the Lunchbox and the DT02 Kumamon Buggy, and yesterday I put 2 batteries through the Konghead, too. I also ran boats and crawlers, of course, but I did enjoy my Tamiyas, I promise! I have the same front wheels as @Nick-W on the DT02 and find they're great on it, they're actually designed for running on sand (which I've done) but I also run on cricket/football fields and they work well there, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1