Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

48 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Amazing!!!

Whats paint and whats decal?

Black paint mainly with the rear spoiler and around the grill yellow, and a whole load of painful decals(stickers) 😕

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, svenb said:

Group shot

Beautiful! The body posts though... :wacko:

@dannymulder Don't do it! Also, how much posted to Australia? 

• Like 1

Stripping the butt-ugly lime green from this original Blackfoot body.  

Ik46Ls7.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, svenb said:

Finished latest Capri😊

Possibly 1 maybe 2 more I'd like to do. 

Thanks to @yogi-bear for the help with the decals 👍

IMG_20200524_221949.jpg

Those graphics are awesome!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tamiya_1971 said:

Stripping the butt-ugly lime green from this original Blackfoot body.  

Ik46Ls7.jpg

Are you using the brake fluid method?

12 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Are you using the brake fluid method?

Oven cleaner. 

Have you guys tried oven cleaner on anodised parts? I’m wanting to go down the polished aluminium route, getting away from the blue but not too sure if the process of un-anodising compromises structural integrity on such small parts…

The active ingredient in oven cleaner is sodium hydroxide (lye).  Aluminum is a relatively active metal.  Keep a watchful eye if you use oven cleaner on annodized parts.  It can cause pitting if left too long.  

Wet sanding with 800 grit followed by scrubbing with Ajax is another option.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 3:35 PM, Peter_B said:

Nothing Tamiya related, unless you count listing a few things on eBay to make space in my newly organised hobby room.

Did think about selling the set of Juggernaut wheels and tyres that I have for my TXT-2, but I can't decide whether to or not.

I’ll buy them if you do! :D

6 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

Shipping cost are a expensive one to Australia almost 49 euro

8 hours ago, Ferruz said:

treats :lol:

20200524-151046.jpg

I'm getting some Manta Ray junk these days to customize, because I never really liked the model. But WOW looking at your custom paintjob and wheels, I'm loving it. You did a GREAT job with that Manta Ray. :)

2 hours ago, tamiya_1971 said:

iginal Blackfoot body.  

Ik46Ls7.jpg

It all depends on the type of enamel you used. I've done that easily with brake fluid, and if that doesn't work caustic soda and a lil elbow grease will get it all off.

• Thanks 1

Today I wasted some Tamiya fluid and a lil precious time changing the rear pogo shocks of my Lunchbox van. Unfortunately I had to replace them back immediately. Think these are RC10, maybe Duratrax? 

The gold ones lifted up the whole thing almost 7mm, which is something I was NOT wanting for the truck. So I removed them immediately and had to go back to the stock ones that I painted black. The chrome bottles and springs take away some of the truck's charm in my opinion.

At this point I kinda liked the change:

xjNf9ox.jpg

And this is how the truck looked like with them:

VdrYozL.jpg

Wasn't happy with them, so I had to get the Lunchbox back to stock:

tIVLt3K.jpg

Wasted time, and also some Tamiya shock fluid replacing the one in the gold shocks. Not a happy camper.

You all have stay safe and have a good week! :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, •Axle said:

Have you guys tried oven cleaner on anodised parts? I’m wanting to go down the polished aluminium route, getting away from the blue but not too sure if the process of un-anodising compromises structural integrity on such small parts…

I did on my original HPI Baja where everything on it was anodized purple. It took me several nights to get the purple off, but it looked great when it was finished. Oven cleaner worked really well, but like @SupraChrgd82 said, leaving it on too long could cause pitting, so just keep watch.  Test it out on something old and see if it's something you want to do. Wear gloves and safety goggles and even throw on a mask so you don't breathe in those awful fumes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tamiya_1971 said:

I did on my original HPI Baja where everything on it was anodized purple. It took me several nights to get the purple off, but it looked great when it was finished. Oven cleaner worked really well, but like @SupraChrgd82 said, leaving it on too long could cause pitting, so just keep watch.  Test it out on something old and see if it's something you want to do. Wear gloves and safety goggles and even throw on a mask so you don't breathe in those awful fumes. 

I don't access to over cleaner. It's not cheap. Here's my latest caustic soda experience. And there was more enamel layers behind the black/grey.

wv25PBi.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

10 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

@dannymulder

Thanks👍

I never cut body posts🙄

I’m waiting for a new Flysky GT3C transmitter and some receivers from China, so thought I would switch the build around of my new comical Frog to doing the shell first.

Now that I’ve got to grips with the waterslide method of adding decals I’m pretty chuffed with the result. Basically box art, with the exception of some additional pink on the sides of the wing and choosing not to use the large red  ‘Tamiya Racing’ decal on the front end. I think the font used fights with everything else and it’s a bit too large for the space. Went with the brilliant Frog decal instead and left the roof a bit cleaner.

DCC21807-1D25-48B8-B427-D8C80C067411.jpeg

• Like 5

I’ve still got the spotlights to do. Haven’t decided on using the covers or not yet. 

6CFF8803-3BE2-4B61-941B-17AFF90671D9.jpeg

• Like 2

As usual, bought for my kids (in particular my daughter this time, who loves pink) but I’m already feeling upset at the thought of them crashing it! 

EFB178B3-85AD-4C54-912B-30695E6B083C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Wow, showed my Mrs, she thought that was real ^^^

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 78Triumph said:

Took my MF-01X out for a run.

That is super sharp! Nice photos and scenery!

• Like 1