Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just about finished the resto of my Ford Ranger shell. There are still a couple of details to do, i am missing the small Ford decals for the front wings, and the large Ford diamond for the rear deck (if anyone has any spares...:rolleyes:).

When it arrived, it had one of the worst paint jobs i had ever seen, and had i think been lacquered with nail varnish, so i am really pleased with the way it turned out.

J

DSC_6086.JPG

DSC_6089.JPG

• Like 12

32 minutes ago, junkmunki said:

Thank you for your kind comment.

J

He is right though, that looks remarkable 😍

I've had the 7 dwarfs on the table this afternoon. I decided to break in the 2nd UGT motor and fit it to my M06, even though it is destined for the future M07 I am waiting on. I missed in the motor instructions that Tamiya want you to 'break out' the motor after a cycle and run the motor at 3v AFTER a full battery... yeah, no. I don't mind running 'conditioning' brushes occasionally, and replacing the standard brushes more often than my undies to keep the motor in top performance, but ain't got NO time, to do after run 'break out 3v runs for 5 mins after every pack 😂

I don't mind a gold/champagne coloured silver can, but those ugly uncoated metallic looking stock motors like what came with my M06 was hurting my retinas, so the UGT Tuned motor can stay in the M06 until I get some Lightly Tuneds or Formula Tuneds for the M05/6 and the UGT can find its home in the M07 when that arrives.

Also found and annoying rattle in the M06, a loose stone had found it's way into a small recess in front of the stock motor, and would sound like something sliding side to side when I picked up the car. Thought it was in the gearbox... fell out when I removed the silver can *sigh of relief*!

YH6sumc.jpg

• Like 6

My replacement credit card arrived today so I couldn’t help but drool over the Axial rig currently on offer at Tamico, dreaming of a rig I can run rather than work on forever.

Then I went to the opticians. Ah, will be spending that money on the ability to see where I am going and what I am doing instead! Perhaps I’ll make less mistakes...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

My replacement credit card arrived today so I couldn’t help but drool over the Axial rig currently on offer at Tamico, dreaming of a rig I can run rather than work on forever.

Then I went to the opticians. Ah, will be spending that money on the ability to see where I am going and what I am doing instead! Perhaps I’ll make less mistakes...?

Should've gone to Specsavers

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, berman said:

don't mind a gold/champagne coloured silver can, but those ugly uncoated metallic looking stock motors like what came with my M06 was hurting my retinas,

My Hornet resto doesn’t mind ugly motors :) just sayin’

So, I got my Fast Eddy bearings in the mail the other day for my ebay Hornet. Yesterday after work, a nap and a dentist visit I had a few minutes before dinner to install the Bearings.

During the tear down I cleaned the gearbox and discovered a small chip off one of the teeth on the outer diff gear. Also the plastic bushings inside the trans were extremely worn. 
I am going to get a new diff gear, but for now everything is smooth, even with the nick on the gear.

This morning, I temporarily installed the electronics for my Pumpkin and took it for a test run.

With a 2s Lipo and silver can motor that little thing rips. It’s such goofy, bouncy loony fun. I can’t believe I never owned one of these back in the day. I had such a ridiculously goofy grin on my face driving it. 
Next step will be getting a radio dedicated to this car, then Ampro brace/ battery door.

A new re re shell is down the road , but in the meantime I plan to do a bit of a Weathered post apocalyptic paint job to use the battered original shell’s flaws as features ( I’ll highlight that paint job in its own thread )

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dakratfink said:

My Hornet resto doesn’t mind ugly motors :) just sayin’

I had one in my hornet resto too, so I could use it on the beach without deteriorating the original silver can motor. Didn't take long for the end bell to get rusty, and just biffed it out when I'd finished.

2yffl4J.jpg

• Like 6

Spent my evening on the XV01. Getting frustrated chasing an issue with the rear gearbox. I'm trying to fit the 52T TA06 solid rear axle (to make it more tail-happy) but when I reassemble the rear gearbox I'm getting a clicking / binding as I try to turn the diff, which only happens only once every full diff rotation.

Otherwise, it freewheels as I expect it should, until that point.

There was some excess flashing left on one of the NN parts (spacer) which I tidied up, I thought this improved it but nope, it's still doing it.

I've swapped the main diff outdrive bearings (1510) but not the ones on the gear shaft (840) because I haven't got any spares <_<

There's really thin grease / oil in both gearboxes and I'm now worried it might have been automotive and not compatible with the plastic or the PTFE seals on the bearings.

I guess this is the issue with buying used / assembled by someone else! :angry:

XV01 veteran @Nicadraus, any suggestions?

7 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Spent my evening on the XV01. Getting frustrated chasing an issue with the rear gearbox. I'm trying to fit the 52T TA06 solid rear axle (to make it more tail-happy) but when I reassemble the rear gearbox I'm getting a clicking / binding as I try to turn the diff, which only happens only once every full diff rotation.

There was some excess flashing left on one of the NN parts (spacer) which I tidied up, I thought this improved it but nope, it's still doing it.

I've swapped the main diff outdrive bearings (1510) but not the ones on the gear shaft (840) because I haven't got any spares <_<

There's really thin grease / oil in both gearboxes and I'm now worried it might have been automotive and not compatible with the plastic or the PTFE seals on the bearings.

I had a similar problem ages ago with a tl01, it was a bit of crude size of a grain of sand between a couple of teeth 

1 hour ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Oh I'm not an XV-01 veteran. In fact I just acquired mine last July and it was also a used unit. It was only dirty but when I stripped it and cleaned it, it was all good. 

Anyway, you might want to check the belt tensioner screws, washers and shims. Make sure they are at proper order according to the manual. Also the screw on top the rear pulley cover that also holds the belt cover. You must use a screw not longer than 5mm otherwise it'll hit the belt causing drag and will harm/scrape on the belt.

Lastly, check the counter gears especially in front. The old ones are faulty and have design flaws. Tamiya improved and replaced this. The old ones tend to slip from the holding pin because the slot for the pin is too shallow. Then, since it doesn't hold firmly, it will eventually ruin the slot. I bought a set of the newer onr and that solved the problem. 

By the way, the counter gear problem also happened to my friend's XV so it was timing that I replaced all counter gears in both our kits. 

Bought some tyre glue at the hobby shop today.  I was crouching down to look at what body shells they had in stock when something damp touched my hand.  I yanked my hand back and looked at what it was.  There's now a dog sitting beside me.  Note to self: hobby shop has a dog.

Got home and glued the tyres for the M07.  Somehow managed to get a couple of small blobs of glue under the green cutting mat so when I was finished I had to peel it off my desk.  It must have squirted some out when I first took the lid off.  I'm trying to decide if I should go back out today and find some acetone to try to remove it from the desk.  I might be better off just leaving it instead of potentially making things worse.

o1M8qI5.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, berman said:

I had one in my hornet resto too, so I could use it on the beach without deteriorating the original silver can motor. Didn't take long for the end bell to get rusty, and just biffed it out when I'd finished.

2yffl4J.jpg

That’s a gorgeous box art Hornet and a nice looking Hopper! 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Took the M07 out for its first spin ever. Looks like it's pretty well sorted, and definitely able to take more power than what's in it at the moment lol. I should try putting the TZ Superstock 23-turn motor in it!

Running a 20t pinion, 7.2v NiMh, and Sport Tuned motor with HW 1060 esc:

Those little M Chassis cars can take a decent amount of power.

8 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

My replacement credit card arrived today 

Quick try out see if works 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 10/9/2020 at 8:34 AM, junkmunki said:

Just about finished the resto of my Ford Ranger shell. There are still a couple of details to do, i am missing the small Ford decals for the front wings, and the large Ford diamond for the rear deck (if anyone has any spares...:rolleyes:).

When it arrived, it had one of the worst paint jobs i had ever seen, and had i think been lacquered with nail varnish, so i am really pleased with the way it turned out.

J

DSC_6086.JPG

DSC_6089.JPG

Are these what you are looking for?

image.jpg

• Like 1

Worked on the ol’ WR01 twin motor, narrow tread, dual steering thing. Got it working brilliantly with my new GT5 Flysky transmitter. And yes, I can operate those flashing roof lights remotely :D

I’ve got a thread running somewhere, I’ll update it later!

C70119DF-F92A-4516-A86D-C37278C13718.thumb.jpeg.f3b770cb00845926e464cedbcc3f747d.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rwordenjr said:

Overcast day but wanted to get the SHS out 😋

079E37AA-8C34-418E-BBAF-4B396A304B70.jpeg

Stunning!

I hope this comes back in stock at some point. I feel I'm missing a piece of important Tamiya history by not having the golden child of that era.

3 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Stunning!

I hope this comes back in stock at some point. I feel I'm missing a piece of important Tamiya history by not having the golden child of that era.

Thank you ! Thing is a tank lol

Getting these ready, which one would you take racing? B)Screenshot_20201010_211254.thumb.jpg.1a30b71796520b165ee1891df64261b7.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Wez-li said:

Getting these ready, which one would you take racing? B)Screenshot_20201010_211254.thumb.jpg.1a30b71796520b165ee1891df64261b7.jpg

TA04 no contest

• Like 1