Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I see I am not the only one who has had feline assistance with their hobby activities lately. :D

2020-11-05_10-15-20

This evening my cat and I finished fitting carbon fibre shock towers to our TT-02B, the handling deficits of the stock items having been made all too clear by my recent attempts at using it in the postal races. While their resilience is great for bashing, the 5mm or so of undamped suspension travel resulting from their rubberiness wasn't doing the car's handling any good on tarmac. Now that the car has stiff carbon towers fitted, all suspension movement goes via the dampers which should make things better - in theory at least. We'll find out for sure this weekend!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

I had a couple of extra paws help me install my Ampro transmission brace 

C44FEF7B-9500-47C4-9775-AA86D71AF3D1.jpeg

Great part ! Only thing I don’t like about it is it makes the battery holder too small to fit a lipo 😓

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

This evening my cat and I finished fitting carbon fibre shock towers to our TT-02B, the handling deficits of the stock items having been made all too clear by my recent attempts at using it in the postal races.

Dude.  You've dominated every round thus far.  I think we should handicap you by replacing all of your dampers with gummy bears to give us a chance at the podium.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I see I am not the only one who has had feline assistance with their hobby activities lately. :D

2020-11-05_10-15-20

This evening my cat and I finished fitting carbon fibre shock towers to our TT-02B, the handling deficits of the stock items having been made all too clear by my recent attempts at using it in the postal races. While their resilience is great for bashing, the 5mm or so of undamped suspension travel resulting from their rubberiness wasn't doing the car's handling any good on tarmac. Now that the car has stiff carbon towers fitted, all suspension movement goes via the dampers which should make things better - in theory at least. We'll find out for sure this weekend!

24 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Dude.  You've dominated every round thus far.  I think we should handicap you by replacing all of your dampers with gummy bears to give us a chance at the podium.

I think it’s more like a Racing Teapot made a guest appearance to give us a chance as well 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rwordenjr said:

Great part ! Only thing I don’t like about it is it makes the battery holder too small to fit a lipo 😓

My round pack Lipo still fits . 
I used button head 3mm hex screws installed with the head inside the battery compartment.

my big complaint is the 

Up/Down side/side motion of the axel seems to bind . I’m not sure it it is because the pin that runs through my axel isn’t totally straight or if I need to notch out the material in the chassis inside the “bow tie “ area of the brace 

11 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

My round pack Lipo still fits . 
I used button head 3mm hex screws installed with the head inside the battery compartment.

my big complaint is the 

Up/Down side/side motion of the axel seems to bind . I’m not sure it it is because the pin that runs through my axel isn’t totally straight or if I need to notch out the material in the chassis inside the “bow tie “ area of the brace 

Which lipo do you have ?? I’ve tried 3 different ones. I know can put a really small lipo in but then it’ll be rattling around in there. And mine works great so maybe it’s the pin ? 

4 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Which lipo do you have ?? I’ve tried 3 different ones. I know can put a really small lipo in but then it’ll be rattling around in there. And mine works great so maybe it’s the pin ? 

Mine is a Garpot brand stick pack style . It is the same dimensions as a standard 6 cell nimh 

Any feedback on the binding ? 

7 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

Mine is a Garpot brand stick pack style . It is the same dimensions as a standard 6 cell nimh 

Any feedback on the binding ? 

This is the shortest one I have. It doesn’t fit because the screws holding the ampro part in stop the battery from fitting in. Send a pic of your battery in? And also or video of the binding area 

4478641D-F608-4CFB-860D-25E7C50877B0.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

That’s the same battery I have I’ll show you some pics of the compartment with and without battery 

image.jpg

image.jpg

It it really really right fit ? Like hve to force it in?

It’s a rather tight fit , but I do not have to force it. It fits “securely “ though. You’ll also notice the screw heads are pretty low profile 

7 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Are they much different than the Phillips screw in that picture ? I’m using 3mm self tappers 

They are are hex head 3mm screws I forget the exact length. I picked them up in my lox’s hardware store... they are the same shank length as the sum of the stock compartment + the brace , in other words they don’t really protrude out the other side but sit flush 

Installed metal hubs in the Javelin that my son keeps breaking front hubs on.

Added universal joints at all four corners while I had it apart. I'll probably install turnbuckles in the rear suspension this evening. The front already has turnbuckles.

• Like 1

Yesterday I had to tune an MSC like an old carburetor so it would reliably kick into W.O.T. (Success!)

During the test run I nearly lost both rear wheels. (Fail. Glad I tested the "new hot setup" before racing it!)

Then later I busted a motor brush wire, and the whole motor needs more attention than I can give it right now, so I finished a light reconditioning on an old Yokomo can with a 91 ROAR 27T stock arm. Got to drive it around a bit just now, and it seems like success so far! The Yokomo is just as fast (maybe faster) than the Point Blank I had in there, so I think it will substitute just fine until I can get the PB rebuilt.

Unfortunately still chasing radio bugs though :angry:

2 hours ago, Mrowka said:

Installed metal hubs in the Javelin that my son keeps breaking front hubs on.

Added universal joints at all four corners while I had it apart. I'll probably install turnbuckles in the rear suspension this evening. The front already has turnbuckles.

What were the hubs you got, is it these? (I have a javelin too)

https://www.rcmart.com/kyosho-optima-2016-aluminum-front-hub-1-pair-gun-metal-otw116gm-00072526

spacer.png
also what do you mean for the UJs? Driveshafts? They seem expensive

https://www.rcmart.com/kyosho-optima-universal-swing-shaft-2-pcs-black-otw125b-00103052

Bought a Ta04 and TT01, both boxed. :)

Also swapped the chassis on my ta02 from frp to tub, so I can start another TF build B)

• Like 1

I drew and printed some shock towers for a WT01 because the stock ones are dreadful. A monster truck with 15mm of travel is really unacceptable - friction dampers too :blink:

gTxU4DN.jpg?1

13eBjaH.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah all friction dampers are a joke, to be honest. Can’t believe they pass them off in various kits

IMG-20201107-023344.jpg

Got further ahead with the MF01X, using whatever parts have arrived so far (which is far from all sadly). 

If you look closely at the rear upper suspension turnbuckle in the picture (which is horrible; my apologies regarding the focus), you'll notice it's most definitely fouling on the main shaft gear cover on that side. Whoever designed this should be taken out and shot. I even used the upper hole on the top of the rear upright with the lower hole on the bottom and it still fouls.

I have an idea on how to fix it though. That (along with a lot of other stuff) is coming in the mail.

Oh, and for those who are wondering, big-bore dampers fit like a glove on this chassis, with no rubbing anywhere thankfully.

• Like 7