Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My FF03 with the Lexus body and black LRP rims and “winter tires”

did not have tire cement, had to use regular super glue combined with baking soda.  Thats why the white outline on the rims.

about to give it a try.

C1ijNvj.jpg

• Like 3

Finished off a Killerbody 1977 Skyline mounted with some velcro and random bits of plastic to a bare bones bog standard TT01E chassis.

Its got tamiya racing truck tyres on m chassis wheels which feel the arch perfectly (after some trimming) and give it a big rubber side wall which looks more period correct.

Also put some leds in which are now working but took a lot of trial and error and the worst soldering ever seen on the planet.

Resized_20201217_163127_4370.jpeg

Resized_20201217_163052_4726.jpeg

Resized_20201217_162804_5422.jpeg

Resized_20201217_162307_5821.jpeg

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

My FF03 with the Lexus body and black LRP rims and “winter tires”

did not have tire cement, had to use regular super glue combined with baking soda.  Thats why the white outline on the rims.

about to give it a try.

C1ijNvj.jpg

Went very well, call me crazy, but my elders went to the grocery store, and I had to wait about 3,5hours for them to bring glue as it was a “no rush” priority for me... oh boi I washed and dried them next to a wood oven and wraped tape around them to prep them for gluing. I noticed they would became warm after 15minutes they went straight into the ice fridge. For 3-4minutes. The tire grabbed so well to the rim. Some process was achieved?! 

good grip for china tires on asphalt. Last known top speed was on 2s around the 85 kmh range.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2020 at 5:16 PM, Superluminal said:

Fresh kind of madness

Ah, you know me so well already..

So today I did some more on this....

4etP8Ex.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Did some more on the new roof,..

Why didn't I delete the sunroof and just have a solid roof?. That would have been much easier.. 

fX214BB.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TanvirQDS said:

Hi Fabia130vRS love this breakdown you have done, and those are some crazy mods (to me anyway) i didnt know that was possible on a QD car. I am trying to restore my QD cars but havent opened them up yet as im a little intimidated to be honest. Have you got any tips when taking it apart that i could benefit from? Many thanks, Tan.

Hope this helps?

2 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Did some more on the new roof,..

Why didn't I delete the sunroof and just have a solid roof?. That would have been much easier.. 

fX214BB.jpg

Wow, you must be a very patient person! Amazing work!

• Like 1

Started a new (to me) build: the Super Hotshot. I've already encountered 2 problems:

1. The hex head SS screwset I purchased (which clearly says Super Hotshot on it) seems to be missing several screw sizes. So far I've noticed that the most common screw size in this build, the 12mm M3, is not available in this screw set at all. 27mm M3 screws, of which I've need around 4 of so far, also don't exist in this screw set. Maddening to say the least!

2. The rear diff is not spinning as smoothly as the front diff/gearbox, which went together like a dream. The drive gears are fine, but the diff action is VERY stiff at the rear; as if I put very thick diff oil in it (I didn't). I've taken it apart twice to figure out what's happening but with no real findings. 

Pic of the culprit:

IMG-20201218-014432.jpg

Pretty, but naughty. I'll continue tomorrow.

Any advice would be helpful.

• Sad 1

Nothing fancy. But I came across this used vintage motor heat sink and I thought it would be good for a project I'm working on. I wasn't sure if I could restore it to a decent condition but I really like the look because it reminds me of a nitro cylinder head or something more classic. I finally got to work on it and I think I'm quite there. Can't wait to add it the project RC car.

mechanicah-motor.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Started a new (to me) build: the Super Hotshot. I've already encountered 2 problems:

1. The hex head SS screwset I purchased (which clearly says Super Hotshot on it) seems to be missing several screw sizes. So far I've noticed that the most common screw size in this build, the 12mm M3, is not available in this screw set at all. 27mm M3 screws, of which I've need around 4 of so far, also don't exist in this screw set. Maddening to say the least!

2. The rear diff is not spinning as smoothly as the front diff/gearbox, which went together like a dream. The drive gears are fine, but the diff action is VERY stiff at the rear; as if I put very thick diff oil in it (I didn't). I've taken it apart twice to figure out what's happening but with no real findings. 

Pic of the culprit:

IMG-20201218-014432.jpg

Pretty, but naughty. I'll continue tomorrow.

Any advice would be helpful.

That rear gearbox sounds normal. It loosens up over time and a super stock with strong magnets only makes it stiffer. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rwordenjr said:

That rear gearbox sounds normal. It loosens up over time and a super stock with strong magnets only makes it stiffer. 

Thanks for the tip, although it's not the drive gears that are stiff. It's just the differential gears, which should allow the axles to freely spin opposite each other even with a strong motor holding the spur stationary. I'm thinking the bearings of the output shafts aren't seated in all the way, compressing the diff gears together when I close up the gearbox. I'll get to the bottom of it eventually.

53 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Thanks for the tip, although it's not the drive gears that are stiff. It's just the differential gears, which should allow the axles to freely spin opposite each other even with a strong motor holding the spur stationary. I'm thinking the bearings of the output shafts aren't seated in all the way, compressing the diff gears together when I close up the gearbox. I'll get to the bottom of it eventually.

I doubt you've done something wrong. Pretty much everyone has mentioned the rear gearbox issues so don't go too crazy taking all apart again. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

I doubt you've done something wrong. Pretty much everyone has mentioned the rear gearbox issues so don't go too crazy taking all apart again. 

I've just finished scouring the net for info on this issue, and it seems you're right. Thanks for saving me the trouble of cracking the gearbox open a 3rd time lol.

On with the build then...

10 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I've just finished scouring the net for info on this issue, and it seems you're right. Thanks for saving me the trouble of cracking the gearbox open a 3rd time lol.

On with the build then...

No problem, the only thing I thought maybe did wrong when I built mine was the motor plates. Make sure they match up with what pinion you used. 

• Like 1

So far today I’ve resisted buying a Mammoth Dump Truck. It is only 8.19am though 😂

• Haha 5

It snowed like 6 inches. 

uQDdyFq.jpg

YmaoxvR.jpg

bW5prQR.jpg

VWKN20V.jpg

KGSMzNp.jpg

6zNawwj.jpg

The photos give you the illusion of the jeep going places... but it would get stuck after every 4 feet.  I love the thin tires, but they would dig in and wouldn't go anywhere.  Hopefully it would do better when it melts a bit. 

• Like 5

The Blackfoot got a lightbar! The 5 LEDs were already mounted to a tiny bit of PCB because I've "creatively repurposed" them from a small cheapo flashlight--it originally ran on 2 button-cells, CR2025 or 2032 or something, but obviously that wouldn't do. I kept the existing switch and wired it into an old 4AA battery box with 2 cells fitted, so it should last quite a long time now. Also "winterized" the whole car--the servo & Rx got wrapped up in a little ziplock bag, and it's now rolling on Nikko Big Bubba tires for more traction (and back to the normal Blackfoot bumper to clear the larger front tires). Ran it last night before I fabricated the lightbar and it's a blast... first time I've ever been able to drive an RC in the snow and loving it!! Now it'll run anywhere at any time of day or night :D

lightbar_121820.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/18/2020 at 5:17 AM, Juggular said:

It snowed like 6 inches. 

uQDdyFq.jpg

YmaoxvR.jpg

bW5prQR.jpg

VWKN20V.jpg

KGSMzNp.jpg

6zNawwj.jpg

The photos give you the illusion of the jeep going places... but it would get stuck after every 4 feet.  I love the thin tires, but they would dig in and wouldn't go anywhere.  Hopefully it would do better when it melts a bit. 

Glad to see somebody else doing some snow driving! :) looks puffy and fresh, you would need quite fat tires for it. But give it a couple days, once it sits in a little it will be more packed and suitable for driving with your thin tires. If you're lucky and it freezes overnight you might then find a crusty top layer, and then it's good times guaranteed 👍 enjoy!

• Like 1

Snagged another Big Boss and the remnants of a Big Brute on fleabay. No bots this time. I have a little something planned. Hopefully it pans out.

• Like 5