Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, krisby said:

Thoroughly good day in the sunshine with a box of beer and a few Gins later on. Hopefully more of those to come over the next few weeks.

Sounds like you had a good rc day but no need to rub it in about the weather 🙄ours was wrap up well and enjoy a hot cup of tea whilst watching it pour down with rain 😥

2nd coat on the rear light indicators, brake discs and tyre lettering in my lunch break- and 1st coat of silver on the wheels for the HCT as I am WFH today  :D

• Like 1

Technically last night, I sold my Holiday Buggy :( I need the money more than the car, but I don't have to like it.

• Sad 3

Serviced the rear shocks of my DF-01 this morning. It was about time, after one year of intense use since I last touched them.

20201222-122708.jpg

I've had these shocks for a couple years and by now I can say they are pretty good. They are unbranded from RCdamper (fleabay), and I recommend them hands down, at least these for the DF01. Bling aside, they perform well and consistently. In my case I only had to do some sporadic maintenance on the rear ones, the fronts are still as new and never needed to be touched so far.

20201222-122654.jpg

• Like 8

Tinkering away on my latest build while waiting for various screws/hopups/miscellany to arrive from abroad. I ran into a very strange issue: the servo is too thick (height-wise) for the bottom electronics box to properly mate with the top half of the chassis. Is that a thing with the HS/SHS? I thought standard size servos were pretty much all the same thickness no?

IMG-20201223-013110.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/18/2020 at 12:28 AM, Mechanic AH said:

Nothing fancy. But I came across this used vintage motor heat sink and I thought it would be good for a project I'm working on. I wasn't sure if I could restore it to a decent condition but I really like the look because it reminds me of a nitro cylinder head or something more classic. I finally got to work on it and I think I'm quite there. Can't wait to add it the project RC car.

mechanicah-motor.jpg

Looks to have cleaned up really well. How'd you do it? 

Been delaying the Terra Scorcher body shell. It's cut and half masked, but every time I look at it I think yeah...tomorrow. And it's been like that for a week...

Meanwhile, by now it snowed enough to justify building a temporary track. I had time to only do part of it, enough to bounce around and a little run back and forth. I hope to be able to finish it tomorrow as I'm off work, in which case the shell will have to keep waiting.

Screenshot-20201222-143509-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20201222-143648-Video-Player.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, BigJag said:

Looks to have cleaned up really well. How'd you do it? 

I had to use the following: small detailing file for the crevices and chipped areas, sanding block, rotary tool with sanding bit, and sanding to polish (I think I went as far as 1000 grit). Then used some metal polish.

• Like 1

Saw this on FB, it was 1.5hrs drive away and asked the seller to ship, but he said he was coming to my city the next day, and ended up only being a 20 minute drive to the other side of town, so went and picked it up from him today 😊

Physical appearance is all good. The body is toast, and the wheels are curb rashed but I don't need them anyway. Chassis being on TC wheels has very minimal scratching 😁

As it is a 239mm chassis, I am going to convert it to a VW Beetle. I have a Kharmann Ghia body, and two sets of beetle wheels, but might leave the Kharmann for when I can find a M04L or M06L I think, but may test fit the Kharmann body when I paint it over the holidays.

0fZs1i4.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Tinkering away on my latest build while waiting for various screws/hopups/miscellany to arrive from abroad. I ran into a very strange issue: the servo is too thick (height-wise) for the bottom electronics box to properly mate with the top half of the chassis. Is that a thing with the HS/SHS? I thought standard size servos were pretty much all the same thickness no?

IMG-20201223-013110.jpg

Which servo are you using ? I used standard Futaba and no issues. 

3 hours ago, berman said:

Saw this on FB, it was 1.5hrs drive away and asked the seller to ship, but he said he was coming to my city the next day, and ended up only being a 20 minute drive to the other side of town, so went and picked it up from him today 😊

Physical appearance is all good. The body is toast, and the wheels are curb rashed but I don't need them anyway. Chassis being on TC wheels has very minimal scratching 😁

As it is a 239mm chassis, I am going to convert it to a VW Beetle. I have a Kharmann Ghia body, and two sets of beetle wheels, but might leave the Kharmann for when I can find a M04L or M06L I think, but may test fit the Kharmann body when I paint it over the holidays.

0fZs1i4.jpg

I saw that pop up and wondered if you'd add it to your collection. It seemed a good price

• Like 1

My wife insisted we got up @ 5am today to collect our food order and complete the Christmas food/drink shopping.

I can’t work out whether we are-

A. Bonkers

B. Getting old

C. Alpha parents (5 teenagers)  

Anyhow as they say happy wife, happy life 😊

• Haha 6

@Grumpy pants in my house Mrs BC and the boy won’t rise before 10am if they don’t have to. Who am I to argue? It has given me the opportunity to work on my Christmas project before starting work

DEC620D7-7C2E-40E0-AE1C-036EED940BB5.jpg

I am seriously running out of time!

• Like 3

Bought Mrs RB lots of books to read over Christmas to should give me some guilt free Tamiya time 😄

Receiving is in the giving as they say. 

• Like 4

Thought that collecting Tamiya RC's was a slippery slope, now I've found another.

IMG_2264.JPG.4939cc4a08ee7007afec6f29875e9f1b.JPG

This how I started then this happened!!!!!!

First a radio ariel and mount for the rear

IMG_2271.JPG.88b6fbaa4047089a9a090b8784023b20.JPG

Then after watching a vid about Jeeps realised that the gear stick/transfer case knobs were black not greenIMG_2273.JPG.4096edc777b2b0aaaa5584eda2fa6ace.JPG

Then the engine compartment looked boring

IMG_2272.JPG.b3ccf3c5015787f4f45fd682ab6f7377.JPG

So out came the brushes and voila

IMG_2278.JPG.044e8be6d38b83da14adb251e40e2c3c.JPG

I have also started to aquire a few (well lots) of 1/6th bits and bobs. They are not cheap.

IMG_2269.JPG.fe8a30e462f4c1f62c9ef3ec05dc8212.JPG

Here we have camouflage net, a bedding roll, armaments

IMG_2277.JPG.d2be7cd3c2db438319a4845bbb88d84a.JPG

and sand ramps. Have just won a fleabay auction on a 1/6th Bren gun and ordered 10 Jerry cans. Then I noticed that there was a hole in the floor just behind the seats. I looked through the range of ROCHobby accessories and guess what a large calibre machine gun on a tall mounting. Bit pricey though so made up one from some brass tubing I had.

IMG_2276.JPG.3a33f01a9b5699a957149649b55a1fb9.JPG

Then ordered a .50 cal browning for £7 to go on top.  Bren Gun, Jerry cans and .50 cal are in transit. Eventually it should end up looking a little like an SAS style JEEP or US rangers.

Now strictly not all of this was today but it all came together today.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I saw that pop up and wondered if you'd add it to your collection. It seemed a good price

I saw it when it was listed, it was nice that it had the stabilisers and the low friction shocks (it apparently had a Technigold in it too), but more than I wanted to spend so left it for about 3 days, then ended up going back and asking if he would take a cheaper price, so got $30 off. I gave it a once over last night, I am pretty happy with it 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Which servo are you using ? I used standard Futaba and no issues. 

I'm using a Power HD 20kg servo, which is a pretty standard size I assume. I checked it against a Futaba, and they're within 0.5mm of each other in thickness. I am using YR alloy servo stays, which stick up above the servo slightly, so that might be it. I'll try using the stock plastic servo stays the next time I have time to tinker.

Stickered up a body that I painted during the summer (not sure if it was this or last year though)

88A595E7-D03D-490C-B219-3CC94B27571C.jpg

Need to figure out the offset for the rear wheels, and then locate where I stashed the rear wing and light buckets.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I'm using a Power HD 20kg servo, which is a pretty standard size I assume. I checked it against a Futaba, and they're within 0.5mm of each other in thickness. I am using YR alloy servo stays, which stick up above the servo slightly, so that might be it. I'll try using the stock plastic servo stays the next time I have time to tinker.

Yea that’s got to be the difference.

Good times in the snow today, took me a couple hours to finish building the track but it never stopped snowing, so I had to keep shoveling between runs. Quite the workout but totally worth it,  now that it's ready I just wish I could share the fun!

The track is narrow, but thanks to the postal racing I've improved enough not to stall in the snow at every lap :lol:

I'll hopefully get some faster runs in tomorrow when the snow settles.

20201223-174226.jpg

20201223-175710.jpg

20201223-201708.jpg

20201223-201807.jpg

20201223-202052.jpg

• Like 15

Currently at work (keyworker life :lol:) but can't wait to get home for a well deserved drink and to strip and clean this beauty. 

Screenshot_20201224_103423.jpg

• Like 6

Had a daft go at a 1/14th pallet (UK size chep type). Needs a good sand over and painting yet

IMG_20201224_185917.jpg

IMG_20201224_190013.jpg

• Like 10

Began working on a Big Brute chassis I nabbed for a touch over $30. Got a Kyosho Pulsar radio with it which is cool. Hopefully it works. The chassis top cover is missing of course. Someday, when I reach the other side, I will ask where all those top covers went. I'm guessing they reside in the same mystery pile somewhere as missing battery retainers and socks that disappear from the laundry.

20201224_162049 (2)

Today it poured rain ALL day! Very unusual this time of the year to say the least, in any case it pretty much melted my track and made everything else super slushy so there was no outdoors action whatsoever.

At which point there were no excuses: I had to go back to the TS body. I've been masking most of the day, man how I dislike it... I seem to have managed a tricky part, though it really took forever. Let's say so far it's Tamiya Masking Tape: 1 and Ferruz: 1. Tie/draw (I take masking matters very personally so the masking tape gets personified as well 😬😬😬).

Ps this is the frustration speaking, Tamiya's own masking tape really is the best for this application, it's just that my patience doesn't go as far as its quality ^_^

20201224-144914.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Schwarzfuß 

Blackfoot’s German cousin Off to the showground!!! Wheels were painted on Wednesday but have been in the airing cupboard since. Fitted the tyres this morning. Just a rollbar and spots to source. 

• Like 1