Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 hours ago, JYCM3 said:

One of the cleanest workbench I’ve seen, look like a science lab about to dissect that beetle LOL 

Lol! Kinda fitting but the real thought sounds terrible :D.

7 hours ago, blofeld said:

The finish is fantastic. Is that after run down and polishing or just wet coat clear ?

It's after wet sanding and polishing. I'm attaching a photo of what it looked like after the gloss coat (before I sanded/polished it). As you can see there's some orange peel and it bugged me (ignore the dust specks as those are loose).

Unfortunately, it's winter here and I could never get the right finish. I've repainted and recoated this a couple times and I was never satisfied. Aside from this being my first time to paint a plastic body, I think it's not easy because of the scale. There's just so much coverage and right after I get a nice gloss on one side, it will get some slight overspray when I work on another section so it's hard to prefect. Maybe too I need an airbrush instead if canned paint. At some point I decided to proceed with sanding and polishing.

Just gloss coat before wet sand and polish

MechanicAfterHours-1040611.jpg

After with wet sand and polish

MechanicAfterHours-1040795.thumb.jpg.fa98b9986ce1974986591143b07a78dd.jpg

• Like 10

55 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Managed to get most of the main chassis built up on a 4th Avante2001, built from all my remaining spare parts left over from all the other Vanquish/Avante2001/Egress builds. Used a set of carbon decks made by a local ex-TC member. I didn't have the correct screws so they are nearly all stainless M3 screws but I need to replace with hex drive screws instead eventually. 

Despite me thinking I had enough parts to build another chassis, I realised I didn't have any more hi-caps and I was missing a few small but critical parts such as the diff balls, pressure plates and springs, deck support posts and the two angled steel rear arm stays for the chassis. So I have ordered all that today, £120 in just a few parts.... sigh. However it is effectively a brand new Avante2001 with carbon decks for the same price as as a DT02 (because many of the spares have been sat in a box for 30 years gathering dust so were written off years ago)

The motor is yet another brand new Tamiya Dyna Run Super Touring motor...... we will now (once this is finished) have 7 buggies using those motors...... I think I have a fetish for them :D

1362577740_avante2001_3_new(1).thumb.jpg.24b7405c4ca603590fd5b33331729dee.jpg

Seeing as you've fettled with the Avante class quite a lot, what are the differences in length (if any)  between the 2001, Egress and Vanquish? Could I build a Vanquish using Avante or Egress chassis decks? Not that I know if it would any practical difference in handling in my hands, but ..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Seeing as you've fettled with the Avante class quite a lot, what are the differences in length (if any)  between the 2001, Egress and Vanquish? Could I build a Vanquish using Avante or Egress chassis decks? Not that I know if it would any practical difference in handling in my hands, but ..

No, to convert a Vanquish or VQS to Avante2001/Egress spec would cost approx £250, there are far more parts needed than you can imagine and even the smallest part (such as the conical rear arm chassis spacers) can cost a fortune. The wheelbases are all the same, overall length is roughly the same too but the Vanquish has a big rear bumper that the Avante2001 doesn't. Seriously, if you wanted an Egress it would be cheaper to just buy one than try and buy a VQS and convert that to Egress spec. The Egress is being re-released this year and I suspect we could see a re-re Avante2001 in the next year or so.

Even with all my parts from stock (and that was alot) I have still had to spend a fortune on just a dozen missing parts, many of them tiny such as the alloy rear undertray mount or the centre ball diff thrust washers and discs. Some parts such as the rear wire wing mounts are all but impossible to find so I have made my own. These are very expensive chassis to buy, build and maintain (if used regularly). Not for the faint hearted! :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mud4fun said:

No, to convert a Vanquish or VQS to Avante2001/Egress spec would cost approx £250, there are far more parts needed than you can imagine and even the smallest part (such as the conical rear arm chassis spacers) can cost a fortune. The wheelbases are all the same, overall length is roughly the same too but the Vanquish has a big rear bumper that the Avante2001 doesn't. Seriously, if you wanted an Egress it would be cheaper to just buy one than try and buy a VQS and convert that to Egress spec.

Even with all my parts from stock (and that was alot) I have still had to spend a fortune on just a dozen missing parts, many of them tiny such as the alloy rear undertray mount or the centre ball diff thrust washers and discs. These are very expensive chassis to buy, build and maintain (if used regularly). Not for the faint hearted! :)

I should've specified -the goal is not to convert a Vanquish into an Egress or Avante (I've got both) but to see if I could use the chassis decks instead of the Vanquish tub. The buggy would be all Vanquish, apart from the chassis decks. 

Just now, Robert5000 said:

I should've specified -the goal is not to convert a Vanquish into an Egress or Avante (I've got both) but to see if I could use the chassis decks instead of the Vanquish tub. The buggy would be all Vanquish, apart from the chassis decks. 

er, not sure what you mean. To use the carbon decks you'd need all the other parts such as all the hardware to mount the rear suspension arms (eg. those rare and expensive alloy conical spacers), deck posts (almost impossible to find) etc. You'd end up with an Avante2001. After all an Avante2001 shares the same gearboxes and suspension arms and camber links as the Vanquish. There are just a hundred mostly tiny parts that differ and they cost a fortune.

Anything is possible if you have enough money to throw at it though!

Depends on what you want to achieve too. The Vanquish is a superb off road buggy and far more capable on rougher tracks then either the Egress or the Avante2001 - I have several of each and have used them all regularly. My youngest now has my Vanquish and it does great even with just a sport tuned versus my Avante2001 on rough dirt or muddy grass. Mainly due to its superior ride height and more supple suspension. The Egress and Avante2001 are better suited to flat smooth tracks.

2 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

er, not sure what you mean. To use the carbon decks you'd need all the other parts such as all the hardware to mount the rear suspension arms (eg. those rare and expensive alloy conical spacers), deck posts (almost impossible to find) etc. You'd end up with an Avante2001. After all an Avante2001 shares the same gearboxes and suspension arms and camber links as the Vanquish. There are just a hundred mostly tiny parts that differ and they cost a fortune.

Anything is possible if you have enough money to throw at it though!

Depends on what you want to achieve too. The Vanquish is a superb off road buggy and far more capable on rougher tracks then either the Egress or the Avante2001 - I have several of each and have used them all regularly. My youngest now has my Vanquish and it does great even with just a sport tuned versus my Avante2001 on rough dirt or muddy grass. Mainly due to its superior ride height and more supple suspension. The Egress and Avante2001 are better suited to flat smooth tracks.

Aha, now I follow! Not the first time I've been lost in translation, sorry about that. Yeah, that sounds like too much hassle with little to gain, especially since I would end up turning the Vanquish into something decidedly not a Vanquish. 

Thanks for the thorough explanation, appreciated! 

• Like 2

i got around to installing the new front hop up shocks but the worst happened. the install went good but the threads made by the stock tamiya ball mounts did a minor number on the plastic holes. im not able to do a final half turn to snug down all the hex head screws. i get 0.5mm to .75mm gap if i lightly tug on the eyelets when i check for play. is there anything i can do to make it not back off when running? its a mix of both top and lower shock mounts that have these issues. the previously unused shock mounts could be used but i need a solution so they screws dont back off when running. i did correct the symmetry on front shock mounts but might need to move it to the lower control arm holes on the TT02D. i am considering ordering the  A and B parts trees to get this sorted out. the lower parts B tray are looser than the tops and drilling out are not an option. i could try finding special parts for RC that could do the trick for a better fit.

i didnt gently compress the spring when i tried to install the springs on the mounts so maybe that contributed to it...

IMG_4268.JPG

• Like 2

Managed to squeeze this old thing into a box :ph34r:Screenshot_20210207_110742.thumb.jpg.cf2407bea13d28904e351ec2a83bae8a.jpg:lol:

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Took three different walks with three different cars!

20210207-190006.jpg

20210207-160259.jpg

20210207-185638.jpg

20210207-191500.jpg

Did you get a new camera? These are, without doubt, the best pictures you've ever taken. Composition, lighting... utterly fantastic!

• Like 2

I have been really busy with work recently so not put up stage by stage pics, but have been working on my Fiat Abarth 1000TCR Berlina Corsa bodyshell.

I ummed and ahhhed for ages about the paint scheme before deciding i should at least have a box art version in the collection.

This is going to be a shelf queen, i am keeping the old shell to play around with.

What a ballache the arches were to cut, i still have to sand and smooth them off and all the other rough edges, but in between work i can put the decals on so this is what i am doing at the moment.

The next step after the shell is done is to clean and upgrade the M02 chassis with new body posts, an ESC and ditch the jammy and dodgy MSC, and get some radials on the Abarth wheels i got. 

IMG_20210205_101232850.jpg

IMG_20210205_101238456.jpg

IMG_20210205_101247172.jpg

IMG_20210205_101253808.jpg

IMG_20210205_102117296.jpg

IMG_20210205_102452146.jpg

IMG_20210208_110217659.jpg

IMG_20210208_110233109.jpg

IMG_20210208_110241449.jpg

IMG_20210208_110246872.jpg

• Like 12

Soldered in the new Volt regulator i bought on ebay to Fly-Sky GT3B. I tried to turn it on now and it went up from 10.1 V to 10.7, main thing is that battery is supose to last 40% longer. Later i will also change to 3 li-ion instead off 8 aaa. Many modded it with Lipo but for several safety reasons i will not use Lipo for this purpose, i will keep those in storage mode :)

43656DCF-896B-4BE0-94AC-49C1C00B4BB1.jpeg

• Like 5

Finally got some time to bash around with my Plasma Edge 2. Have you ever seen a TT02B do a "stoppie" (going up on the fronts due to the force of deceleration, commonly used for motorcycles)? 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

Did you get a new camera? These are, without doubt, the best pictures you've ever taken. Composition, lighting... utterly fantastic!

Thank you! But no, same device, I take all my pics wity a Samsung smartphone that is now at least 5-6 years old. I wouldn't risk placing a fancy camera too close to the cars :lol:

3 hours ago, TanvirQDS said:

IMG_20210208_110217659.jpg

IMG_20210208_110233109.jpg

IMG_20210208_110241449.jpg

IMG_20210208_110246872.jpg

It's beautiful!! Great job there 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I fitted a new prop shaft to my TL01. I bought a couple from a chap on FB and I am really impressed! 

qh1BYo8.jpg

Stock, 32.7gm

xF7rDGX.jpg

Hollow carbon 4.5gm - Just a bit of saving! I don't think its anywhere near as strong as the steel but it's a great Richard waving part. 

8QnxlKb.jpg

The love affair with the TL01 continues :D

• Like 5

DDEE7309-AC0A-4BF1-A6E7-5A5866D8ED62.thumb.jpeg.490407c159e5b2b7437e5225ee994a31.jpegFitted some new wheels and tyres on my Top Force today. First time I’ve bought the Schumacher pre-mounted wheels and tyres. I think the Schumacher rev lite front wheels should also fit the newer Tamiya TRF 4wd buggies?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Quattro 83 said:

DDEE7309-AC0A-4BF1-A6E7-5A5866D8ED62.thumb.jpeg.490407c159e5b2b7437e5225ee994a31.jpegFitted some new wheels and tyres on my Top Force today. First time I’ve bought the Schumacher pre-mounted wheels and tyres. I think the Schumacher rev lite front wheels should also fit the newer Tamiya TRF 4wd buggies?

DA1D2D01-FEC0-475D-80FB-7CB5B68281B3.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quattro 83 said:

DA1D2D01-FEC0-475D-80FB-7CB5B68281B3.jpeg

How can I get that blue rear gearbox brace that you have on there?

2 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

How can I get that blue rear gearbox brace that you have on there?

If you message me I’ll send you over his details. Cheers

On 2/3/2021 at 11:01 AM, lsear2905 said:

So, some more boating is definitely on the agenda now, I picked up FOUR new boats on Sunday at the RC boat club.

Proboat UL19, Proboat Sprint Jet 23", Traxxas M41 and Proboat Valvyrn. This is the current fleet, but I doubt I'll keep all 4 additions...

• I really don't like the look of the Valvyrn, but it was a package deal. The motor is tiny, it looks toy grade and the canopy is a PITA to use,
  • The Traxxas M41 is quite intriguing - I thought it was just a Spartan in a different hull, but there's some interesting changes to the layout inside the hull, too. If it's noticeably more stable than the Spartans, well, one of the Spartans may just be kept as a spare hull,
  • The Sprint Jet looks incredible, and it's a completely different style of boat - I've wanted one of these for a long time, and it's self-righting, too, and
  • The UL19 - this has been something I've always loved the look of but never really considered actually buying. I think I'm most excited about this one.

OK, so an update:

Valvryn: No, just no. Interesting concept, poorly and cheaply executed with many fatal flaws. No wonder it was very quickly released, heavily discounted and then discontinued.

Traxxas M41: Yes, absolutely yes. This boat on 4S was utter boating perfection - rode beautifully, fast enough, turned well, looked great (I just need a scale driver!).

Sprint Jet: A steep learning curve, yes, but really enjoyable. I'm bringing 4 (3S) batteries just for this one next time - really excited to get more time with this one.

UL19: Looks great on the water, but I'll admit on 4S it was underwhelming. It was sitting too low, so I repositioned the rudder for the second run... and my batteries didn't have enough a high enough 'C' rating so this one requires another run or 2 before I make any conclusions. In the meantime, I am getting new batteries with a higher 'C' rating.

I finally got the new Avante2001 shell painted in my new team colours. Was a right PITA to do this, took about 4 hours to mask off because I decided to not only do a racing stripe down the middle in dark gunmetal but I thought I'd do the lower skirts in dark gunmetal too, my thinking is that with the very bright uppers it would make the body seem more curvaceous and less bulky. Then there was the cockpit to mask off and the diagonal line between yellow and orange.

Six colours used (Gunmetal backed in black, orange backed in white, yellow backed in white and smoke cockpit canopy)

Should have all the parts by the weekend to convert and complete this chassis as an Egress and to get the other Avante2001 chassis finished. So I'll need a new Kamtec Egress which will also get the same colour scheme.

2134989472_avante2001_3_new(4).thumb.jpg.e340b2ae04cc3c252957973ba5ed5281.jpg

• Like 22

31 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

I finally got the new Avante2001 shell painted in my new team colours. Was a right PITA to do this, took about 4 hours to mask off because I decided to not only do a racing stripe down the middle in dark gunmetal but I thought I'd do the lower skirts in dark gunmetal too, my thinking is that with the very bright uppers it would make the body seem more curvaceous and less bulky. Then there was the cockpit to mask off and the diagonal line between yellow and orange.

Six colours used (Gunmetal backed in black, orange backed in white, yellow backed in white and smoke cockpit canopy)

Should have all the parts by the weekend to convert and complete this chassis as an Egress and to get the other Avante2001 chassis finished. So I'll need a new Kamtec Egress which will also get the same colour scheme.

2134989472_avante2001_3_new(4).thumb.jpg.e340b2ae04cc3c252957973ba5ed5281.jpg

Excuse my French but Holy **** that thing was Sexy!, its the best looking Buggy i have seen. And your Colour Theme suits this one per*******t, Con grat !. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, simalarion said:

Excuse my French but Holy **** that thing was Sexy!, its the best looking Buggy i have seen. And your Colour Theme suits this one per*******t, Con grat !. 

Thank you! :) Yes, I'm really pleased with this. It took about 8 hours in total to do the shell and wing but it was worth it. The trick of the eye by using the dark lower body section works well from all angles. Definitely makes the '2001 look sleeker IMHO. 

• Like 1