Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Working on my project to put an Avante shell on a widened G6-01, but am waiting for parts. So I painted the King Yellow shell that came with the lot, which I only planned to use as a basher. Went with random colours chosen by my five year old but then, when applying the decals, a concept emerged. The King Melon!

Will add a spoiler (and maybe some pips) tomorrow 

D4B7570F-9B3B-48B8-94C1-9FFBA93C0C90.jpeg

D3A43E7C-4A8B-4FDE-BB4B-5592B0AE5EDA.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

i was doing a bit of daydreaming at work for a custom paint scheme for a Manta body and i figured out one but it wont be fun to paint with the pattern and the body geometry it has.  

The Konghead kit, now the long process of waiting for the bearings to arrive begins....

51110929674_ae889453e1_h.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bwaaatch said:

Working on my project to put an Avante shell on a widened G6-01, but am waiting for parts. So I painted the King Yellow shell that came with the lot, which I only planned to use as a basher. Went with random colours chosen by my five year old but then, when applying the decals, a concept emerged. The King Melon!

That looks brilliant!

• Thanks 1

Test fitting the servo placement... I could get a shorter servo so the linkage lines up better but honestly I think this’ll be fine.

Just trying to decide now if I shave some support flanges off the top of the server mounting as I reckon the plastic servo mounting arms would fit then in the original mounting holes, or do I stick it to the metal mounting plate. The metal plate would probably provide more support but then it’s not as easy to remove... :huh:

Going to pop the receiver under the linkage and the ESC on top of the servo.

CFD1F174-133E-4181-A080-8DBE26BC0223.jpeg

Oh and will replace the servo saver with the hi torque when when it arrives to remove some of the slop.

• Like 2

Finished the latest LWB Willy.   

IMG_Apr122021at123243PM.thumb.jpg.1a06d71c0f49b41ed0c51bf2defd5cd5.jpg

I think I am going to take a quick break and work on my re-release Bruiser next. 

IMG_Apr122021at123307PM.thumb.jpg.8e208b6beddb80573904ae95b93deb51.jpg

• Like 5

I get asked this often how I am centering the hood star.  I remembered to take pictures his time, so here is how I do it.. it's real easy. 

IMG_Apr122021at123633PM.thumb.jpg.358b19a2b0312456e1821129d1da033f.jpg

IMG_Apr122021at123647PM.thumb.jpg.1ed00a70cad1ef9fb8139422caf7a55c.jpg

IMG_Apr122021at123705PM.thumb.jpg.fff50d35187a9f75aebecc5fddcef64f.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I think I am going to take a quick break and work on my re-release Bruiser next. 

LOL i dont think any toys will be invading your residence with that MP guard staff...

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Great work - but I think you have a problem  :lol:

Trying desperately not to buy another car myself - though I keep thinking of adding WW2!

• Haha 1

I made  3 more humpbacks today using the 3 cells I had remaining from the last 15pcs cell batch and the 15 that came in last week.  So at the end these packs cost no more than $15-16 each as I could make 5 packs out of the 2 boxes of 15 cells.   I am charging the 3rd one so it is not pictured.

I also did not need to use my jig to make these.. if you think about it the humpback itself supports the cells to stand on its side with decent stability.  

IMG_Apr122021at52500PM.jpg.44f517f0483aff8af431838b2509edb2.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I made  3 more humpbacks today using the 3 cells I had remaining from the last 15pcs cell batch and the 15 that came in last week.  So at the end these packs cost no more than $15-16 each as I could make 5 packs out of the 2 boxes of 15 cells.   I am charging the 3rd one so it is not pictured.

I also did not need to use my jig to make these.. if you think about it the humpback itself supports the cells to stand on its side with decent stability.  

IMG_Apr122021at52500PM.jpg.44f517f0483aff8af431838b2509edb2.jpg

Good job. What will you use these in?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, toyolien said:

Good job. What will you use these in?

Thanks!  These are used on my M38 Wild Willy's.  I'm hoping someone would make 3D print housing for it based on the Tamiya hump back housing some day..

I ordered a bunch of parts for a TA-02 Manta Ray from ebay, RCMart and bought parts from Micheals topforce relating to Manta Ray. This hobby most certainly is a Wabbit hole, thankfully I haven't seen another body  style/kit that has held my mind hostage yet... This would make for kit #4  though some parts still need to be ordered. I'm going to pick up my team associated buggy rims I set aside for the TD 2021 which is scheduled to be released at the end of this month and delivered to the store for pick up a week or 2 after. May looks like a busy RC time for me...

i honestly cant thank MICHEALs TopForce17 enough for helping in this Manta build. his help is indispensable in getting the parts required for this build.

That ABC 1:10 Sileighty body on eBay looks mighty tempting but it's gonna cost $130 with shipping and I already have 3 bodies for the tt02, one being a basher I don't mind breaking, the other 2 are more to baby along. Im having trouble trying to make a logical excuse to buy a 4th body for it, if only it was a bit cheaper...

I got around to putting my 4 seasons on my daily driver now that no freak snow storms are foreseen. Not a fan of having 1 set of car tires and swapping the rubbers 2x a year. I prefer having both on rims to make things easier on my schedule and wallet.

• Like 1

@Willy iine I must admit I've been admiring every Willy you've been showing us, but I'm curious: what is special about the one that's in the glass case, vs the rest of the collection?

My RC'ing has been pretty quiet since the Easter long weekend - with the end of daylight savings it's dark when I get home, I lost my RDO because of the Easter Monday public holiday and then it rained, hailed and was just generally miserable on Sunday. I did run some boats (they don't care if it's raining) but I doubt I'll see some wheel time for a few days...

On another note, I have a Dump Truck (GF01 chassis, but heavy, hard plastic body) and a Konghead (G601 chassis, but light, lexan body). Would I benefit from having a GF01 Landcruiser as well? Is it a substantially different driving experience or just more of the same? I'm thinking it'll drive pretty similarly to my Lunchbox. But I really like the look of it...

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 8:03 PM, Bwaaatch said:

i just realized this, did you happen to see a bottle of the new water melon flavored mountain dew somewhere?? i bought 2 591ML bottles at a gas station recently and the colors are a perfect match...

mt dew.png

47 minutes ago, nel33 said:

i just realized this, did you happen to see a bottle of the new water melon flavored mountain dew somewhere?? i bought 2 591ML bottles at a gas station recently and the colors are a perfect match...

mt dew.png

Hehe! Don’t think so. I think the choice really was a random one in the spot. Considered two tones of pink/purple but then choose the green simply as a contrasting colour — it must be near the opposite side of the colour wheel.

I think I do have this guy floating round my house though, so possibly some subconscious influence there.

343F1C6B-ED5A-4EF2-80B8-347389F729B6.webp

13 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Fantastic 👍

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bwaaatch said:

Hehe! Don’t think so. I think the choice really was a random one in the spot. Considered two tones of pink/purple but then choose the green simply as a contrasting colour — it must be near the opposite side of the colour wheel.

I think I do have this guy floating round my house though, so possibly some subconscious influence there.

343F1C6B-ED5A-4EF2-80B8-347389F729B6.webp 48.1 kB · 1 download

i see, so its not the mountain dew, it must be subluminal instead. i think i have my subluminal thing also, the 1995 happy meal toy car radar racer and its influence on me loving the Thunder Dragon design... this particular hotwheels car one oneting i clearly remember from back in the day and ive always liked it design.

radar racer.jpg

6 weeks yesterday until we move house, 7 weeks until the loft conversion starts.

Well excited, half our house is packed and. in storage already. 

Hopefully eBay will have the usual selling fee deal this weekend and I’ll put a couple of Tamiya up for sale.

I’ll have to continue to enjoy Tamiya for the foreseeable future  through the forum 👍

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, nel33 said:

i see, so its not the mountain dew, it must be subluminal instead. i think i have my subluminal thing also, the 1995 happy meal toy car radar racer and its influence on me loving the Thunder Dragon design... this particular hotwheels car one oneting i clearly remember from back in the day and ive always liked it design.

radar racer.jpg

Nice. Reminds me of two things. Firstly, Peugeot Quasar. 
Second, the wave of Tamiya Mini 4wds from the early 90 that all featured this kind of cab forward look.

8D12E275-4665-471A-A2E4-81C9B38C23CA.jpeg

78ABDE3E-5211-472F-8042-84805246507E.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Bwaaatch said:

Nice. Reminds me of two things. Firstly, Peugeot Quasar. 
Second, the wave of Tamiya Mini 4wds from the early 90 that all featured this kind of cab forward look.

8D12E275-4665-471A-A2E4-81C9B38C23CA.jpeg

78ABDE3E-5211-472F-8042-84805246507E.jpeg

that Peugeot is rather distinct to say the least. that hot wheels car of mine probably had the same effect of just being an outlier design though a few in that series had few interesting window designs. those mini 4wd models are interesting but very toyish... i believe they were more gravity powered on high walled tracks than battery powered.

to avoid going off topic too much, id suggest you google the Mcdonalds hot wheels design called the back burner. like literally slap exhaust manifold like design on the door panels and huge motor in the "bed of the truck" i just noticed this correlation not even a minute ago. that Peugeot design was either stolen by hot wheels or Peugeot... LOL

2 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

6 weeks yesterday until we move house, 7 weeks until the loft conversion starts.

Well excited, half our house is packed and. in storage already. 

Hopefully eBay will have the usual selling fee deal this weekend and I’ll put a couple of Tamiya up for sale.

I’ll have to continue to enjoy Tamiya for the foreseeable future  through the forum 👍

Good luck with the house move and subsequent conversion.

Hope it gives you some space for Tamiya! 

I wish I could take that FF03 off your hands but I'm out of space :(, especially for on-road cars. I need a new garage...

• Thanks 1