Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

visited my brother's new house with my parents and saw his new baby (less than 4mts old) for the first time in person. hung out, talked, played with both the dog and cat and played with the slash a bit. there were no convenient areas to drive the truck in immediate area but we had fun doing some figure 8 tracks around 2 manhole covers in forward and reverse. driving in reverse takes a minute or 2 to reorient yourself...

Sifting through some of my RC plastic tubs for something else and came across my old WW jr and Hotshot Jr. Would like to finish off the WW at some stage.

Bought a couple of EC3 plugs and soldered them onto an old multi chemistry charger and a Team Orion 2200mah NiMh that came with some other stuff a long time ago (I don't use NiMhs) and going to give it to a work colleague for his son who has a basic Arrma Granite Voltage that comes with a 1800mah and wall charger. Felt sorry for him.

Was going to tell him that "Back in MYYY day.... we only had 1200mah and 14 hour chargers" sob story 🤣🤣

VD8f7lG.jpg

nQne6dx.jpg

• Like 13

Started paintwork on my brother’s bruiser, used 4 cans in total, will do a final coat on monday and clear coat it:)

128B12ED-A788-49A6-80EC-EC61D7006A25.jpeg

• Like 12

16 hours ago, chuckjaywalk said:

I decided to take a break from my racing buggy because of constant issues with stripped screws. Two pages into building the Blackfoot and... The chassis breaks. I'm just so frustrated and defeated. I'm not even getting to run my cars before they break. It is heartbreaking. 

B018F690-EDEA-48E8-BF54-C24E43A92D32.jpeg

67CCE0A6-FF94-4BEB-AA2F-7D6BD9021844.jpeg

if this is happening will the build could you be tightening the screws up to much or are you useing a electric driver to tighten the screws cause that should not happen on a new kit build tbh

Spray painted more parts today along with some brush painting.  The repaired wheels turned out as it should.  Looks new. 

I haven’t started painting Willy himself just yet.  The prior owner forgot to install the nut in his neck and glued the head to the torso.. :blink: which I separated so that I can paint him, but the bottom of the helmet tore off :wacko: so had to do some repairs.. definitely reusable, just need to wait for parts and putty to dry.  :D

IMG_Jun132021at65035PM.jpg.fb115d998c83c02602b7243bc7914a66.jpg

IMG_Jun132021at65059PM.jpg.d30d302e658fca51eba8d0024b155497.jpg

• Like 5

Today I finally finished my High-Lift Hilux which I built in 2017! 🙄😂

I hate painting and decals so once it was close enough to finished (the mechanical side anyway) I installed the electronics, drove it around the lounge and yard a bit then put it away. I moved house recently and was reminded that not only did I have the truck I'd also already bought the paint and extra decals... no excuses really! Although the cans are too small and the tape too expensive I must say I'm impressed with Tamiya spray paint and their masking tape, I certainly did a better job than I expected to. I had to sand back the bonnet (hood) and give that another two coats because it was a bit rough but no runs, blends, drips or overspray! Result. This was my first hardbody and it really did come out well. The RC4WD decals (stickers) I got are fantastic but the uncut Tamiya ones are a disaster, it's a travesty that they don't come pre-cut and Tamiya should be ashamed. It reminded me that perhaps I don't hate painting, just adding decals, who knows, it's been 10 years since I painted a shell.

I picked the paint scheme years ago and as it went on I thought it was too dark and not enough contrast between the fenders/bed and the rest of the body but it's grown on me. I was going for the bushwacker/pig hunter look more so than the military look. I think the RC4WD decals demilitarise it enough for me. I don't think I'll bother with the finer details (e.g. window surrounds, door handles etc), my hand isn't really steady enough to do fine brushwork.

Built to kit instructions with the addition of full roller bearings and an aftermarket metal front guard, for some reason I really don't like the included front bar. It's using a basic Yeah Racing ESC/55T Crawler combo running off a 4200mAh LiPo stick pack with a couple of 20kg MG servos. I originally put a 35T in it but that was way too fast, the 55 is great. The always reliable Futaba 4YWD 2.4GHz radio gear is controlling the show.

Man, what a babble that ^ was, on to the good stuff...

Finished_01.jpg

Painted_01.jpg

Painted_02.jpg

Painted_03.jpg

Painted_04.jpg

• Like 11

Put in some decent laps with the Comical Hornet and the Neo Scorcher around this month's Postal Racing track. The Comical Hornet retired hurt when this happened after clipping the shed.

IMG_1388.JPEG

That's half of the servo-saver 'spring'. :( Does anyone know if the standard Tamiya Hi-Torque Servo Saver is a drop-in replacement for this? I hope I don't have to buy an entire B-parts tree just for this tiny thing.

• Sad 1

Went racing yesterday and had a great day out. Clear 2nd in F1 and made the A main in 21.5T stock touring. I am in the hunt in F1 and the car is flawless, I was 2nd in every heat and the final which is frustrating as I've beaten the guy who came first every other meet. I reckon (based on the finger temp gun) i've got another tooth on the pinion though...

Touring car is interesting. I was in the 3rd heat and won each quali so qualified 8th of 28 drivers. Started 8th in the A main and finished 8th despite some bad luck in the first few laps (got cleaned out a few times, but also 1 mistake was mine). It looks like I'm 8th as the other 7 drivers are that much faster than me, but I'm clear of the rest.  My TA07/RS7 isn't the flashest car there by a long shot.  I'm not sure that matters as the TRF102 holds its own against (or is faster than) the latest XRay and Exotek F1's, so a decent touring car like the TA07/RS7 should be in the hunt and I'm the weak link. Given all the upgrades my TA07 has its basically at MS spec now, just has plastic bulkheads and long dampers...so I ordered SSBB dampers and shock towers tonight. They'll be here in time for the next race meet. I doubt there will be much in it but at least I will be able to mount the current crop of bodies which are designed for the low shock towers.

• Like 3

My Development Hack Mini has gained some new hexes, wheels and tyres.

894119F5-C3FD-4694-9797-2822FE5731DA.jpg

But now it needs body posts and battery stoppers! Should have those in the stash.

“Why?” you ask “He never runs his cars!”. Well, if this weather holds till this Sunday then I’m planning on a multi-generational car park run for this and a couple of other cars. El kid will have this, my Dad my M05RA Swift and I’ll have an M04 (with maybe another M04 as a just-in-case spare).

I’ll also have to fix on an ESC and RX. This is a big thing for me, none of my electrics are stuck on (irrational fear of permanency).Is Velcro an OK solution or should I use double-sided tape?

EDIT: found some bumpers and put foams in the tyres. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I’ll also have to fix on an ESC and RX. This is a big thing for me, none of my electrics are stuck on (irrational fear of permanency).Is Velcro an OK solution or should I use double-sided tape?

Velcro is fine, but make sure you get the type that has sticky tape on the back - unless, of course, you really really have a very irrational fear of permanency!! ;)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I always use a spongy double-sided tape. The thin standard tape will not last very long. But if you have velcro in place you can absolutely use it. It is just a little bit thicker.

• Thanks 1

I think it depends what you mean... Velcro straps? No, they may melt and will certainly affect cooling. Velcro adhesive tape? Why bother with the actual Velcro, just use tape (~0.5mm double sided).

• Thanks 1

Thanks @jonboy1, @Aerobert and @djmcnz. Ages ago I bought some Yeah Racing double sided tape but have never used it.

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-double-sided-mounting-tape-20cm-x-2m-ya-0595-00082256

I also got some freebie hook tape from RCMart for their 18th Birthday. Have never used it.

And I have some 3m sticky-backed velcro. That didn't work too well with my homebrew body attachment attempts for my BMW 2002 shell (but there were probably other issues there too!).

I think I have held back using it after cleaning up a number of second hand chassis.

As Mrs BC oftens says to me in shops "Just pick one!!!!"

Yesterday, I cleaned out my man cave so I can resume tinkering. I haven't spent any time out there for a long while & my wife had started using it as a store room...

I also hit the button on a NIB 2014 Fighting Buggy. Been wanting one since they were first re-re'd, but kept putting it off. Now they're available again I had to grab one. The $75 off coupon helped twist my arm. B)

The rate at which I'm getting through my builds, it's likely this will be getting built in my retirement. :lol:

• Like 6

Spent 2 hours sanding and polishing the roll cage on my latest restore.. it was a long 2 hours..

IMG_Jun142021at90013PM.jpg.0d91562d27c3225cbbd49463882441e7.jpg

And finished painting Willy.  As you can see on the torso, the neck is broken, but salvageable so decided to paint him.

IMG_Jun142021at90039PM.jpg.1c30ba259a933e0d43428654b95a5842.jpg

Hope to finish tomorrow.  :D

• Like 5

@Badcrumble I use heavy duty velco to hold down small Lipo's on my M-Four.  It can withstand good impact so it should do just fine.

Also, if you use 3M VHB tape, you can use motor spray (or automotive MAF cleaner) to cleanly dislodge them when necessary.    

• Thanks 1

Because of a fortuitous early finish from work today, the sun shining, being home alone put me in the mood for masking up and adding some silver accents to my FB body 😁

i7aBen0lQ8a92FC6MGOQaw.jpg

fullsizeoutput_13bd.jpg

fullsizeoutput_13be.jpg

• Like 12

@Re-Bugged that looks awesome! Is that all paint, no decals?

I forgot to get a spring kit for the SSBB dampers but luckily rcjaz have brilliant customer service so I was able to add them today. 

Has anyone here upgraded to them? I have ordered 42353 which has the upgraded V parts, using 5.8mm connectors. The picture shows it coming with both 5mm and 5.8mm ones and I've taken a punt and hoping that it has 5mm v parts as well, and if it doesn't then i have 53334 v parts for the normal/old trf shocks 42102 so hopefully they'll work. Does anyone know?

2 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Because of a fortuitous early finish from work today, the sun shining, being home alone put me in the mood for masking up and adding some silver accents to my FB body 😁

i7aBen0lQ8a92FC6MGOQaw.jpg

fullsizeoutput_13bd.jpg

fullsizeoutput_13be.jpg

Just gorgeous!!!!! I'd love to see a group shot of all your recent models because they must look stunning together!! Thanks for sharing this - love it :) 

2 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

There is always so much to like on this thread 👍

I love the variation of it, it’s my go to spot as is the Activity button to at least try and keep a finger on the pulse 😉

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

@Re-Bugged that looks awesome! Is that all paint, no decals?

Thanks mate, yes it’s all paint. I did consider going black or a very dark blue with kit decals (of which I have nothing against) but then you don’t often see custom paint jobs on these so I thought I’d give it a go. Mrs Re-Bugged liked it a lot with the just the red added on the  grey in it’s Matt pre clear coat finish (as did I to) but the ideas started flowing and got me to this stage. It might get a couple of Decals yet but I’d need a bit of help from someone I know who’s working on producing custom decals.

Funny thing was after I’d started it though I suddenly thought what about doing one of these in a Kellogg’s Frosties theme, driven obviously by ‘Turbo Tony’ or maybe save that idea for a Lunchbox or something 😉

2 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

Just gorgeous!!!!! I'd love to see a group shot of all your recent models because they must look stunning together!! Thanks for sharing this - love it :) 

Cheers Bud, I’m definitely hoping it won’t look out of place next to the Sand Scorcher. Than I just need another SRB chassis to sit the Buggy Champ on for a trio 😃

It was seeing those painted pin stripes on the your mates Scania you did that got me thinking 👍🏻

• Like 3

@Jonathon Gillham Yeah, he did it with all paint.  That is some mad masking skills.  I'd take a short cut and slice up some vinyl, but he did it the masterful way!

Update:   I just noticed my iPad had not refreshed over a few hours.. Re-Bugged had already replied.   ooops!   :lol:

Edited by Willy iine
Little slow this am..
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@djmcnz Did you use TS5 (laquer) on your truck?  I love that paint scheme.    Nice job.   

Completed the assembly, will decal later today.   This car had all sorts of problems including broken chassis parts, broken body bits, and broken driver figure, but at the end I think it was worth the trouble.  

This is my 10th restore so going to take a break from restoring any more chassis and touch up on all the small areas I want to polish up further on each car.  

IMG_Jun152021at104758AM.thumb.jpg.f6e15db20703ee59b97e3208fe5f048f.jpg

IMG_Jun152021at104714AM.jpg.bfb5328e9022e2dc1be8a20ab673aa6f.jpg

IMG_Jun152021at104729AM.jpg.a4b066f3858425e3431c0e60d6efbd85.jpg

IMG_Jun152021at104748AM.jpg.c102c7ee10a1cb6f2b39fbacaa091700.jpg 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@djmcnz Did you use TS5 (laquer) on your truck?  I love that paint scheme.    Nice job.   

Hi and thanks. :)

No lacquer, just primer and TS-05 (Olive Drab) over TS-04 (German Grey). It's going to get very light use so didn't think a lacquer would be necessary, if I were to lacquer it I'd probably consider TS-79 (Semi-gloss Clear) or TS-80 (Flat Clear), I quite like the matte look.