Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Removed the factory smoked (tinited) windshield, replaced with new clear windshield.  Also cut out the driver side window and partially cut opened the passgenger side.

All in preparation to install Billy soon.. 

(Before)

IMG_Aug222021at33203PM.jpg.5e423a70c2c32137d922167c7487d2df.jpg

Clear windshield, driver side windows cut open.. and platform to mount Billy drying.. 

IMG_Aug222021at33226PM.jpg.41f3a4cc3a1892a6113651fc24b19abb.jpg

• Like 5

Today, I trashed the gears in the hind end of the SCX10.2.  I thought the large pitch bevel set would be stronger.  Unbeknownst to me “CNC” is Chinese for “made of butter”.  A new set of Axial 2-piece spools just made a $93 hole in my wallet.

These are junk:

64378C22-2FE0-4FC0-B530-34DCD3B2916E.jpeg

• Sad 2

Made a phone/camera attachment for the controller from an old piece of curtain rod and some other random bits...

controller_camera_holder.jpg

• Like 5

Crashed my f1 (twice) doing speed runs, videos in the speed thread if interested. One crash I hit my foot, thought I could steer away from myself but I set the steering so slow thinking less chance of crashing into the curb or spinning out if the car couldn’t react so quickly. Tapped my toe and now I have a car to fix.

364092E8-7DED-434D-AEDF-4D856BF9751A.thumb.jpeg.217c083aa2d5f737e44ed2fc859e04db.jpeg

also took the Volvo out for some runs, got above 30mph then it started to rain, went to shut off camera and realized it wasn’t recording so did a couple more. Not as fast but the truck did better than expected, I didn’t glue the tires so I figured they’d all fly off at some point and I’d crash but luckily they stayed on. :)

• Sad 3

I converted the FF-03RR to short wheelbase to accommodate the new Corolla WRC body I've recently acquired. So now the chassis is FF-03RR-S. Haha!

t9iWkqvh.jpg

4J7qyK4h.jpg

t5o2jrZh.jpg

EQt8BWlh.jpg

Side by side the FF-01 with the origonal 1998-99 release Corolla WRC.

PhOJgUJh.jpg

• Like 6

Grabbed the FF03 out of our storage locker, hoping eBay have a fee deal this weekend 💥

Reminded myself how gorgeous it is all well 😊

image.jpg

• Like 9

Been looking for these Scania emblems forever! I thought I'd lost them, found them in a small bunch of decals in a random box, so hit the hubs with a bit of Molotow and applied them 🙂

Speaking of lost, drove my MAN yesterday in the driveway, lost one of the cab clearance lights. Searched the driveway 5 times, checked the house, closet (where it's kept) emptied the vacuum cleaner, everything... turned the whole house upside down for a 6x3mm part. It's two parts trees to replace (one chrome, one clear).. no luck 😔

L61nv9q.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

For me today nothing exciting, counted stock of TS paints (thanks to Re-Bugged’s reminder :lol:) in preparation to place another order this week, drove my WR02 City Turbo around my little track.   

I have to go to the office tomorrow for work, so probably another slow day tomorrow in RC world.  Hope to receive my 3 Billy’s by Wednesday/Thursday.  

• Like 2

Now that my paint has arrived for the Sand Scorcher I reread the article on rcracer about painting. Then remembered that I don't have nearly ehough masking tape so put everything away again...nothing to do with it being intimidating or anything...

• Haha 7

Put the f1 back together, moved the electronics around for better gps mounting. Seems I broke the servo saver again, bent an arm, lost a spring and e clip, and had to retape the side back on the body. Damage wasn’t bad at all, and I didn’t even have to order more parts. :)

B0BF73A0-8E2F-465F-92CD-E9C9BD954223.thumb.jpeg.dc9bd2c1443fee79e61df71aaf7fb38d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Went thru all these old magazines, and catalogs I found at my moms house. Original stuff from 89/90 era. Bummed the Tamiya catalog has no cover but its got really great photos in it.

20210823_202646.jpg

20210823_202651.jpg

20210823_202656.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Rider400 said:

Went thru all these old magazines, and catalogs I found at my moms house. Original stuff from 89/90 era. Bummed the Tamiya catalog has no cover but its got really great photos in it.

20210823_202646.jpg

20210823_202651.jpg

20210823_202656.jpg

Ooooooh, that's SWEET!

Antonio Banderas Oh GIF - Antonio Banderas Oh Sweet - Descubre & Comparte  GIFs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rider400 said:

20210823_202646.jpg

20210823_202651.jpg

20210823_202656.jpg

I agree with @mongoose1983, old mags and catalogues like this are awesome to flick through again, I occasionally sit down with my old ones for some nostalgia, it’s great

• Like 3

With shipping becoming a problem for the holiday season I proactively placed a fairly large order of TS paints today.  Mainly my usual suspect colors and some extra paint for my Bruiser and Sand Scorcher I will be building this winter.  :D

It looks like my 3 Billy's are arriving today.   

Also ordered more receivers to get ahead of the electronics shortage and inflation!  Prices have already gone up..

• Like 1

Few seconds of work to add a variant of the rear lights holder for the Super Hotshot, with the ability to add a personalised license plate (30*15) such as the ones you can get in one German online shop very well known on the internet...

3ALhU5K.jpg

The parts has been added among the already published files on Thingiverse...

My son asked me to add lights to his remaining unequipped cars (Slash and DT03)... I know what I will do next. I'll start by the DT03, as I want to do it also for mine. The intention is to use the front shock tower and and the U fixing the front lower wishbones, and allow the use of standard led buckets as you can find anywhere on the internet. And for the rear, I would eventually include them in a wing...

The Slash will be another story: I would prefer to stick to the original placement of the 1/1 version, which means within the body (and this one is painted already, so I will have to think twice about how to process this)...

On 8/22/2021 at 7:58 PM, ImALlama said:

Crashed my f1 (twice) doing speed runs, videos in the speed thread if interested. One crash I hit my foot, thought I could steer away from myself but I set the steering so slow thinking less chance of crashing into the curb or spinning out if the car couldn’t react so quickly. Tapped my toe and now I have a car to fix.

364092E8-7DED-434D-AEDF-4D856BF9751A.thumb.jpeg.217c083aa2d5f737e44ed2fc859e04db.jpeg

also took the Volvo out for some runs, got above 30mph then it started to rain, went to shut off camera and realized it wasn’t recording so did a couple more. Not as fast but the truck did better than expected, I didn’t glue the tires so I figured they’d all fly off at some point and I’d crash but luckily they stayed on. :)

So did you end up spraying PS paint on the outside then? The car looks glossy and very nice (other than crash damage :/). I am just about ready to spray my horrible silver F2012 that I bought used. I was thinking PS-60 on the outside. Your feedback would help!

5 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

So did you end up spraying PS paint on the outside then? The car looks glossy and very nice (other than crash damage :/). I am just about ready to spray my horrible silver F2012 that I bought used. I was thinking PS-60 on the outside. Your feedback would help!

Haven’t touched it yet unfortunately, still waiting for my all paint to arrive. I planned on going with a matte finish that way I don’t have to do any extra work to make it look good (because I’m lazy :lol:). If it stops raining I’ll put a coat of paint on it and post the progress tonight. Hoping the rest of my paint shows up in next day or two so I can have it painted by the weekend.

• Like 1

@Pylon80 here’s some pics of my f60 body, not sure which red it is but I sprayed ts clear over it on inside, trying to show the difference in finish when painting inside vs outside if just painting and doing nothing else. I’d put a thick layer of clear and wet sand/buff it out to make it look good if going for a nice glossy look.

D19CF662-0C80-4EA2-BA65-02C438CD17A7.thumb.jpeg.8330c93df1d3fcf7a041f7563d9481f2.jpegA80B08C4-4DCB-4EE4-93C9-6B1B522732E0.thumb.jpeg.7573dbc1195d000844bf5e04064caba1.jpeg724A6755-1AC4-4E8C-90AE-6017AB4054BE.thumb.jpeg.a841f46b09baf92cdf5499b16b0ddbf5.jpeg

• Like 3

Found this by fluke today while working on my half-gutted apartment.

It's from that odd, short period of time I spent modding Walmart toy cars before finally working up the courage to buy the Hornet.

Cute little motor new in box, takes me way back in time when I used to race Mini4WD as a kid

20210817-112935.jpg

On another note, it looks like the renovation in our unit won't start until mid September (flood happened over two months ago😒) so my wife and I decided to take a break from the stressful situation and go on a little car camping trip like last year. Quite relieved and excited to go since we didn't expect any vacation time this year. Gotta make the most out of a situation! The Hornet was an excellent road trip companion last time, and it just got new tires, so I have no doubt on which car to take along :)

• Like 6

I bought a FF03 today! I think.. maybe. The pictures/description/details were all a little different, so I sent the seller a message trying to clarify. I tried to keep my question as simple as I could assuming they didn’t speak English and it would get translated (items in Japan), and they clearly had no idea what I was asking (or my question/their response didn’t translate right). So I rolled the dice and I either have my first fwd tamiya on the way or some really expensive ff03 parts coming :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Glued Billy’s helmet.. this set was manufactured in the Philippines and the injection is horrible!  It reminded me of a Revell plastic model kit and that is not a complement.. 

IMG_Aug242021at81624PM.jpg.a6caa8fe5faa63fc3e425f7245b1e1d1.jpg

Both sides have this much step due to rear half being considerably larger in diameter.

IMG_Aug242021at81642PM.jpg.1715b7aa879e0a8d4473f68e3ff76825.jpg

IMG_Aug242021at81655PM.jpg.1203e0ffe10ad4cca5eff617061e6d64.jpg

I can make it look nice so it’s not a problem per se, but Tamiya should not be selling low quality like this under their name.  :wacko:  

I'm beginning to wonder if this Billy is even authentic..  I've made many Billy's thus far and this one seems different.. the plastic is also shiny in certain spots (like on cheap low quality plastic) which I've not seen before.  I have 2 more of these sets.. 

• Sad 2