Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 9/18/2021 at 7:47 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

Sounds like a great day, especially that part about being able to go to work. I had the bbq going all day, cooked short ribs, smoked bacon and did a lot of other stuff, just not the rc jobs. I have a TT02B which just needs its new radio set up, and the SS doesn't actually go as i couldn't be bothered finding a receiver. Did solder a battery lead though so it feels like i did stuff.

Oh yeah, work... I wasn't rubbing it in 🙁

Normally if the missus works Saturdays my kids (4 and 6) cannot entertain themselves for more than 5 minutes without some sort of rigmarole that needs Dads intervention. Usually one is winding up the other, or they can't do something (normally because they have no interest it actually giving it a go themselves, and want a quick fix) so rc is off the table.

Man that BBQ sounded delish. Couple of IPAs and... 👍

Well I actually DID something today, albeit halfa**ed. Painted and decaled the R5. Was using the tape mask with the plastic film, and managed to wipe the black on the film over the clear part that was next to be yellow. Would have been OK if I hadn't run out of polycarbonate cleaner last time. So I have some black imperfections in the yellow parts of the rear guards, and couldn't fix any bleed through. Oh well.

s5loVb5.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, berman said:

Well I actually DID something today, albeit halfa**ed. Painted and decaled the R5. Was using the tape mask with the plastic film, and managed to wipe the black on the film over the clear part that was next to be yellow. Would have been OK if I hadn't run out of polycarbonate cleaner last time. So I have some black imperfections in the yellow parts of the rear guards, and couldn't fix any bleed through. Oh well.

Really nice job! That looks like seriously tough shell to mask and paint with the thin ares of black. Anything with yellow and mixed with areas of any other colours is going to be difficult I think just because of how bad yellow paints seem these days but it really looks great.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Really nice job! That looks like seriously tough shell to mask and paint with the thin ares of black. Anything with yellow and mixed with areas of any other colours is going to be difficult I think just because of how bad yellow paints seem these days but it really looks great.

Thanks mate, yeah it was certainly one of the more involved bodies I've done, especially with the 3 colours and the masking of the rear. The instructions tell you to remove the protective film, apply the decals for guide, then mask the outside again.. I was like, "Nope". 

That Turbo Tomahawk is beautiful man, absolute stunner! 😍

30 minutes ago, berman said:

s5loVb5.jpg

Gorgeous.
I wanted one of these but knew that I couldn’t do it that kind of justice.

And I’d nowhere to display it.

And I’d already bought an M05-RA.

• Like 1

Half way through my Toyota hilux bruiser/mountaineer clone rebuild still got the interior to do paint the driver figure and wait for a rear window section to arrive! I've changed the bearings in it but to be honest the ones in the car don't look bad at all? I took the servo saver off the steering servo because it's way to soft and just put a servo arm straight onto the servo it's not perfect but it certainly makes in a lot sharper than the stock set up and it cost nothing! Next is the shocks I'm putting better "o" rings inside because the standard are completely useless and I might change the universal joints again because they aren't the best quality! But in was absolutely dirt cheap and very interesting to pull apart!

20210919_112426.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, toyolien said:

My first 2wd buggy race for 16 years!

20210919_134351.jpg

Quality, hope it went well and it was a fun day 👍

Got the overall shape to flow..   I wish Tamiya would just do a Comical Sand Scorcher.. 

IMG_Sep192021at23245PM.jpg.ef323045126159933ca5acb88b535c36.jpg

IMG_Sep192021at23310PM.jpg.729ae9580221549c148e296b00edb75b.jpg

Update.. still more putty and sanding needed, but the overall shape is complete.  

IMG_Sep192021at71933PM.jpg.c6b6c1317a0b6d0b3d21cedf258e8267.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Finished a Turbo Tomahawk build. Kyosho never made an official enhanced Tomahawk like they did with the Scorpion and Optima that im aware of so I gave it a go.

Its basically a half Turbo Scorpion and Half Tomahawk. Its built with;

Tomahawk chassis rails and radio plates, body shell and cockpit.

Turbo Scorpion gear box, steering, suspension mounts and longer wheelbase rear chassis plates.

Scorpion HG wing mount and Javelin wing.

Turbo Optima front gold shocks all round (probably need softer springs for front and stiffer rears i think)

Kyosho G15 15t motor, HW1060, Absima receiver and Savox servo.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Nice work...About those Turbo Optima shocks: the internal difference with the Turbo Scorpion shocks are basically inexistant. This is built with the same clusters, at the exception of the color, only the externals are different with a thread to allow the use of a setting ring. And they also exist in red, but under the ref SCW013 as HG Shocks for the Turbo Scorpion. As basic setup, Turbo Scorpion use 300cst oil while the Turbo Optima use 100 cst oil.

I'm curious : what are the difference between the Turbo Scorpion and Tomahawk gear box (as per my understanding, the Tomahawk as already the differential, unlike the Scorpion)?

On the chassis side I know the only differences are the LWB plates and HG shock towers on the Turbo Scorpion (and the tub, but it is not really the chassis). The rest is the same. 

3 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@Superluminal I would like to know which red you used to achieve that beautiful color, if not a secret..  if secret, no worries.  :lol:

My guess : Transluscent red, backed with Gun Metal and black, but I may be wrong.

3 minutes ago, silvertriple said:

My guess : Transluscent red, backed with Gun Metal and black, but I may be wrong.

Hummm!  Do you also know KFC's herbs and spices?  :lol:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@Superluminal I would like to know which red you used to achieve that beautiful color, if not a secret..  if secret, no worries.  :lol:

Translucent red backed with silver then black.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Willy iine said:

Hummm!  Do you also know KFC's herbs and spices?  :lol:

Well, no! I did not experiment with that, so no way I can guess :D

I did a few experiments with the Transluscent red while I was asking myself what colour combination to use for the Super Hotshot. I did not tried that combination, but based on the behavior of those I tried, it could be very well that one... And I remember someone mentioning this combination with a close result to Superluminal Turbo Tomahawk on some french forum...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, silvertriple said:

66% correct - silver behind the red

1 minute ago, Superluminal said:

I'm a bit surprised it looks that dark, which is the reason I thought it was Gun metal. Maybe lightning of the pictures play as well...

Just now, silvertriple said:

I'm a bit surprised it looks that dark, which is the reason I thought it was Gun metal. Maybe lightning of the pictures play as well...

Alas, Im in the UK. We dont have a sun anymore.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Thanks!  You used standard Tamiya PS paint colors?  

1 minute ago, Superluminal said:

Alas, Im in the UK. We dont have a sun anymore.

Well, that may explain...

I'm currently going in the deep of the instruction manuals from both Turbo Scorpion to see if there is actually a difference with the Tomahawk on this aspect... I'm curious as the Tomahawk is on my wish list...

6 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks!  You used standard Tamiya PS paint colors?  

Yep;

Ps-37 translucent red

Ps-12 silver

Ps-5 blackspacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3