Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So this morning I dug up the wire to my lamp post outside (yesterday my contractor accidentally cut the wire while repouring concrete to straighten the post) that I bandaid fixed due to sun down and this time shrink tubed the jumper wire I soldered and e-taped the entire cord over the shrink tube.  I decided since this is 2021 and there are many stand alone solar lamp posts on the market, I'll just replace the lamp with a solar one when this wire goes bad.   It's an old lamp anyway..

It was a muddy job..but fixed.  Going to take it easy today as this evening I have another contractor come out to winterize my lawn irrigation system.. I did the prep for that this am as well, to stop the water and release any back flow which there was none, and partitioned my garage so that the storage area where the control box is located blocks view to my 1:1 cars. 

I realized TamiyaUSA is sold out on the GF01TR's last night.. I took too long. It was a good deal.  I still cannot find anyone in the USA that has ample stock of the spike soft tires.. if there were, I'd just buy another GF01 and rear WR02 wheels and those tires..  this chassis would be for my 2nd comical Sand Scorcher build..

UPDATE:   So before I sound like a procrastinating cry baby, I placed an order for one GF01TR through a local vendor, 1060, SR215, CVA oil dampers, and ala carte bearing set.  :lol:   I was originally going to order 2-3 units from TamiyaUSA at the low price, but could not decide which day I would be at the office or be working from home which was the biggest issue holding things back.   Tamiya requires signature at the time of delivery.. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Had my first go at panel lines using Kyosho Micron tape today. Turned out alright, but not sure I'll be doing it all that often. My eyes, my eyes! :blink:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

I masked up and painted my lexan replica Lunchbox for my wife to use as a basher. It was my first time having to mask things myself and also a bit of an experiment using a translucent paint which I then backed with silver. The translucent was tricky to get even adn I had a couple of splatter dots, but over all Im pretty happy with how it came out, especially with the customised stickers on that replace the "Vanessa" bits with my wife's name. Just need to drill out the body mount holes (it's just resting on a roll of tape, hence the slightly dodgy angle and heigh) and it'll be ready for its first outing. Oh and I've also got a set of black wheels and another set of tyres coming, so when it's on the shelf it can revert back to shiny and new boxart colours. 

20210929_214342.thumb.jpg.067ea505f58eeadfd2eb4318c4613395.jpg

20210929_214353.thumb.jpg.3d2358c36a63671a257ace3f75347e41.jpg

• Like 7

@GazzaRose That color goes well with your decal.  Would you consider a driver in your LB?

For me, finally got the lawn sprinkler system winterized with RPZ removed safely..  next up, I will paint the lamp that I fixed this morning on Friday before temps drop outside, routine furnace check by my usual tech in 2 weeks time, and I will do an oil change on the whole house generator, portable Honda generator, and 24" snow thrower..  meh, I first need to get fresh gas in the jerry can.  Still a ways to go before I can concentrate on just RC..

Managed to track down the source of (some of) my steering woes. After driving different cars and experiencing the same behavior, I discovered that the steering pot on my transmitter was failing intermittently--possibly a loose wire or just a bad pot, and I wanted it to be reliably fixed, so I swapped the entire sticks to the opposite sides. This transmitter only has spring return on one side, so I swapped that stuff back over to the correct side too. Plugged it all back into the correct places and everything works perfectly again! Whew!

Now to test those servos that I suspect may not have gone bad after all...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Had my first go at panel lines using Kyosho Micron tape today. Turned out alright, but not sure I'll be doing it all that often. My eyes, my eyes! :blink:

Easy way I recently discovered to do panel lines, Gundam markers (or in fact, any Fineliner pens). On my static models, I may do enamel wash, but got a feeling that it wi not stick to PC shells. 

4 hours ago, GazzaRose said:

especially with the customised stickers on that replace the "Vanessa" bits with my wife's name. 

Could be easier to just get her to change her name to Vanessa? 😂

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 7:11 AM, Frog Jumper said:

No action shots of the Dragon.  My phone was almost dead and I needed it in case my son called.

Here's a couple of the Ranger:

OadVVgf.jpg

6wJmJqS.jpg

Got any pics of this chassis with body off? Is it a ORV Ranger of some kind or an actual Ranger? New to the model so not familiar with them all.

17 minutes ago, Rider400 said:

Got any pics of this chassis with body off? Is it a ORV Ranger of some kind or an actual Ranger? New to the model so not familiar with them all.

It’s technically a Frog with a KBF chassis (the Frog Jumper).  I’ve switched out the Frog mounts for the AmPro rear mounts and the Brat front mount, so currently it’s the Black Ranger…

Here’s an old pix of the same car (with the mounts mentioned above), when I was playing with different wheels.  I’ve subsequently taken the alloy rear arms off and replaced them with OG rear arms.

Sfd6Y8h.jpg

45 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

It’s technically a Frog with a KBF chassis (the Frog Jumper).  I’ve switched out the Frog mounts for the AmPro rear mounts and the Brat front mount, so currently it’s the Black Ranger…

Here’s an old pix of the same car (with the mounts mentioned above), when I was playing with different wheels.  I’ve subsequently taken the alloy rear arms off and replaced them with OG rear arms.

Sfd6Y8h.jpg

Think Im confused about the front mount. Is the (front top) shock mount custom or?

54 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Sfd6Y8h.jpg

What did you think of the alloy rear arms?  Always tempted by the ones on eBay, but the cost is just too insane.

Messing around trying to find a wheel that works 

I’m thinking  black ones might be better or maybe I’m overthinking it 

3790CC4A-D639-49C0-8D1A-D3E544630643.jpeg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, djmcnz said:

That looks amazing @Juhunio!

Thank you! It's a replacement for my 49400, I was never really happy with the first attempt. Despite Tamiya calling the paint 'Light Blue' (PS-3), it really isn't....

spacer.png

I wanted something more like this classic

spacer.png

And in the end PS-32 did the trick. It's called Corsa Grey, but it really is pale blue. Maybe a tiny bit too pale, but close enough for me and definitely closer than PS-3

spacer.png

• Like 7

Not too pale IMHO, that really does look good, the attention to detail is enviable and that colour makes it instantly recognisable, much better than the PS-3!.

I have a couple of Porsches to sort out, after a trio of buggies! 🙄😁

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, djmcnz said:

Not too pale IMHO, that really does look good, the attention to detail is enviable and that colour makes it instantly recognisable, much better than the PS-3!.

I have a couple of Porsches to sort out, after a trio of buggies! 🙄😁

Thanks again, really kind. Two details that will bug me until I can sort them....I could only get hold of the Vaillant sticker set, which is missing the shaded stickers for the air intakes in the front (they come with the Black Edition stickers). Also, the centre grill sticker has a ghosted 'Shell' logo in it, which will upset the marketing team at Gulf no end :lol:

7 hours ago, Rider400 said:

Think Im confused about the front mount. Is the (front top) shock mount custom or?

Yes, two 3rd party front shock mounts with 50519s.

7 hours ago, tamiya3speed said:

What did you think of the alloy rear arms?  Always tempted by the ones on eBay, but the cost is just too insane.

They are awesome. I managed to get the very last set from .50 Calibre several years ago ($60 for the pair).

So while I love them and want another set, $250 is waaaaaaay too rich for my blood…

Terry

3 hours ago, KalEl63 said:

Messing around trying to find a wheel that works 

I’m thinking  black ones might be better or maybe I’m overthinking it 

3790CC4A-D639-49C0-8D1A-D3E544630643.jpeg

Looks good as it is, but I’d say black (or graphite, gun metal)as well!   

• Thanks 1

Here’s what I worked on today.. this is for the upcoming comical Sand Scorcher body chop.   

Made a winch bracket.. and painted the bits.  NOS bottle is drying on another rack.

IMG_Sep302021at55443PM.jpg.3a46e4ec06fd03eb1cc451f47a858fdd.jpg

IMG_Sep302021at55531PM.jpg.2bb4aa105da019ec0db0aab6e863f53e.jpg

Using my existing GF01TR for the chopped body as I got another NIB kit today..and since too dumb to make 3D printed parts.. 

IMG_Sep302021at55452PM.jpg.6ab64681cc41fe91f78474066be296d9.jpg

IMG_Sep302021at55505PM.jpg.eb17a48da7a5ba3f3ae46ff8bdfcf8f9.jpg

IMG_Sep302021at55517PM.jpg.cf17b026faa7b871dcacd668acf859ad.jpg

Chassis is now ready for the new SandScorcher chop which should arrive hopefully tomorrow..

I will build the new GF01TR kit maybe next weekend so that my other Billy (Monster Beetle Trail Billy) doesn’t feel he got pushed off the team.. :lol:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Thanks again, really kind. Two details that will bug me until I can sort them....I could only get hold of the Vaillant sticker set, which is missing the shaded stickers for the air intakes in the front (they come with the Black Edition stickers). Also, the centre grill sticker has a ghosted 'Shell' logo in it, which will upset the marketing team at Gulf no end :lol:

Ha, I could only see it after you pointed it out. I'll have to look at the decals I have, I got my Vaillant stickers from Tamico when they released the Black Edition and I can't remember what's in the pack.

• Like 1