Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, GermanTA03Guy said:

Also trying to make writings on the tires and failing. It always wipes off, even after hours... See the pen I used... Any tips on this? I want to make notes like which insert (inside) and also achieve cool scale looks on the outside. Like the latest kuhfarben builds. Maybe truck Norris, if u read this, can you give a hint what you use? Thx guys. 

IMG_20211006_222446.jpg

IMG_20211006_222514.jpg

Try an Edding 780. Worked well on my tires. If the tip is too thick extract some paint from the marker and use a toothpick for writing.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Willy iine said:

What kind of material are you gluing?  If it's styrene based I use Tamiya's standard plastic cement (orange cap).  It sets in about 2min and cures rather quickly.. full cure takes a good 24 hours depending on how much cement you applied.  

IMG_Apr62021at52351PM.jpg.72ff4a913b7e2d1e7d2f2f1733820d4a.jpg

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/finishing/plastic-cement-20ml/

If it's more like the bumper material I'd drill a hole in the pipe and screw it onto the other parts.  

Hi, I think it's styrene I think, it only says plastic on the Tamiya package. Probably the Tamiya cement is really good for this. I just have to make an order online then, as they don't have it in the local stores.... So once again spend 50+ to not pay shipping.... 

4 minutes ago, GermanTA03Guy said:

Hi, I think it's styrene I think, it only says plastic on the Tamiya package. Probably the Tamiya cement is really good for this. I just have to make an order online then, as they don't have it in the local stores.... So once again spend 50+ to not pay shipping.... 

Paying shipping is a false economy ;)

• Haha 3

For today just finished up the last detail on Billy's Beetle and took it out for a spin.  No rubbing issue, drove great.. so fantastically funny looking.  :D

IMG_Oct72021at100121AM.jpg.6fe77e2e150568d9c42ab050f6436933.jpg

IMG_Oct72021at100159AM.jpg.99bbdae0d6a9f816c9b8dbc7341787c7.jpg

IMG_Oct72021at100227AM.jpg.06a57b13cec37e70cfaa1e8bcf608236.jpg

IMG_Oct72021at100240AM.jpg.c940ce3c1937f0970794f3f0bb0e7f8e.jpg

Going to clean up the shop today.. and wrap my display shelves with the new matte black wood grain vinyl.  

Update.. cleaned my RC shop and room.. it was quite involved.  Going to do the shelving wrap next.  

Update… test wrapped the matte black.  Looks so much better.  Will do the other 3 shelves.  

Before..

IMG_Oct72021at31027PM.jpg.afaf05485bfc5e1a39f88ebbeb581a36.jpg

After..

IMG_Oct72021at31045PM.jpg.a4f58a5df206f447af4824e06b03c100.jpg

Update …. looks like I got a brand new shelf.  :D

IMG_Oct72021at34116PM.jpg.62416b0543f736133e7523d1a09247f6.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, GermanTA03Guy said:

Yeah, I hear ya.  A few days ago I bought those slicks for my GF01 and it was like $50 total for the tires, wheels, inserts, and paid $55 for FedEx.  Gotta pay to play.  :blink:

I took my latest car to the park. There's a water play/paddling pool for under fives, but they turn off the taps and lock the area up at about five, perfect time to do a little driving. There's also a little track to go down.

X9CtaGp.jpg

Taking the car around I really could see the appeal of crawlers, driving in a small area you have to be so carefully of not hitting any rocks - but something that is slow, and could go over a few of them is appealing.

XedRMTI.jpg

The 1/14 MF01x handles great, fast (too fast for this small place) with nice handling. Despite the light rain the tyres gripped well.

• Like 6

finally remembered to put these online so i can share. my mom helped with filming the Manta ray. jconcept sprinted square tires on it in the vid. my mom was a bit concerned that you couldnt see the car clearly when it was too far away but thats what they are supposed to do. it didnt bother me one bit as its more fun. the mantas is fairly zippy and nimble.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

That is a cool truck, @Nikko85.  I love that it is an original you came up with too.  One-off cars rock! 

Thanks - I usually come from a "what can I design myself" way of thinking, it's just more fun for me. 

I'm not the most patient, steady of hand, good at prepping etc. or exacting so I'm never going to make a kit box art as well as many, or spend the £££ on big hop ups, but I do like having something one-off!

I've only been into Hobby grade cars for about 9 months or so, so it's taking time to learn what goes where, but mechanically speaking (differentials aside, witchcraft obviously) it's starting to make sense.

I started with converting "toy grade" ones, which was fun, but it was annoying if a part broke and a lack of spares - so Tamiya it is. 

There are lots of cars I really like the look of (Blackfoot, King Cab, Rock Socker, Pre-runner etc.) but I've always enjoyed trying to make something that looks like what I like, not just getting it.

• Like 1

I started working on the decals for the HKS R32, I used the soapy water technique for the larger ones like the hood, it feels a bit sketchy, I'm always worried about getting proper adhesion, but on the other hand it's so much easier, it's the first time I manage to put such a large decal on without a single air bubble.

Pl9Xnjj.jpg

• Like 8

@VileQuenouille I install 1:1 car vinyl and clear bra using soap solution and tack , but for RC I only use distilled water.

Also using a silicon squeegee and emboss heat gun is helpful for me.

11 minutes ago, Yoshimitsu said:

Has anyone else done this on their Beetle? Just looking for tips on painting the lenses.🙏😁

IMG_20211007_202345.jpg

Very cool.   I’ve seen people use color sharpies and coat the inside.   

You know, I was scratching my head how to use those lenses while I was painting both Blitzer and Scorcher tails.  :lol:  

• Like 1

i figured out it was useful to connect the battery to the skyrc  GSM015 spedometer helps alot if i want to charge up the battery... off to go for a speed run on grass and see how the shock preloads behave on the manta. any suggestion on securing GPS units on body shells? electric tape and painters tape is my test example for the time being.

1 hour ago, Yoshimitsu said:

Has anyone else done this on their Beetle? Just looking for tips on painting the lenses.🙏😁

IMG_20211007_202345.jpg

I've painted mine on the inside with clear red in multiple coats. If you are aiming for orange, white and red I would suggest liquid masking. But never done that before.

• Like 2

In other news, I had some time left so out fitted my stock GF01 with the orange body I will be using and lowered the body as far as it could go without rubbing.  Suspension set up is unaltered so it has full stroke.  

These slicks grip well on EVA foam.  

IMG_Oct72021at54350PM.jpg.92748ad101d3b137f12eb0a3e3b05200.jpg

spacer.pngIMG_Oct72021at54934PM.jpg.412b0b721684b6ce14fa24c5a60a30b1.jpg

IMG_Oct72021at55640PM.jpg.6bf7bdfb51881204a6ad59abdd57180e.jpg

I think I’m going to put a big muffler on this car too.. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

In other news, I had some time left so out fitted my stock GF01 with the orange body I will be using and lowered the body as far as it could go without rubbing.  Suspension set up is unaltered so it has full stroke.  

These slicks grip well on EVA foam.  

IMG_Oct72021at54350PM.jpg.92748ad101d3b137f12eb0a3e3b05200.jpg

I think I’m going to put a big muffler on this car too.. 

That makes me want a GF-01 Land Cruiser. Awesome.

• Thanks 1

so where to start from?? left at 6pm (admittedly a bit late given this time of season) and traffic forced me to go a slower route to my parents ' place. 35 minutes the gps unit must have been on during the drive as it was nearly dead after first full charge... charged it up a bit and took the manta and controller leaving backpack and spare battery at their home. did 2 long run circuits on the grass lasting only 2-3 minutes until the battery started giving low voltage warning. went back a few min to try the other battery and forgot that spare battery didnt fit the manta chassis... the small 3mm bulge on the end where the wires stick out from didnt let me install the battery door on the chassis.

put back near dead battery and saw the gravel path  in the park and decided it was the best surface for speed given offroad tires on the mantta. got 2 25ft runs and hit 30kmh max. flipped the car and i rolled on the grass nearby. the electric tape didnt hold it in place luckily the gps didnt fly far at all. gonna try painters tape which i conveniently forgot to bring with me... i wonder what speeds i will get with the 19t pinion... didnt even get enough time for a good grasp of the handling on grass...

so much headache and logistical errors for 4 minutes max of useful run... though any younger sibling trying to use the older ones' rc car could probably relate LOL. 6:45pm  the sun really started to disappear fast and i dont have any lights on the kits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I still haven't got my shell painted yet but I did build a bench for Kumamon...

112546786_ScreenShot2021-10-08at12_28_20pm.thumb.jpg.9040232ce2163ec1c0d29ec9567dace4.jpg

• Like 2

Painted the wheels on the Giulia, and picked up some more DF03 Heatsink bars from LHS, as I needed one extra bar for my M06, now I have 5 bars spare 😄

Also might cut out my spare Giulia body set, and get it ready for paint.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, GeeWings said:

I still haven't got my shell painted yet but I did build a bench for Kumamon...

spacer.png112546786_ScreenShot2021-10-08at12_28_20pm.thumb.jpg.9040232ce2163ec1c0d29ec9567dace4.jpg

Whatever that box is, please do up like a picnic hamper.

Edit: I've just realised that back rest is the spare bumper - utter genius! I may have to liberally borrow this idea for Edgarmon's comfort!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Did a workaround for missing j parts and battery holder on my ta03 'resto'... Using genuine Tamiya parts, I think from Tb07 evo, posts for steering (approx 17mm high, m3 on both sides) and holding the decks apart (approx. 25mm, m3 on both sides). 

IMG_20211008_100456.jpg

IMG_20211008_100508.jpg

IMG_20211008_100521.jpg

• Like 5

Finally got everything together to kick off this lil' beauty! I just can't start a build until I have everything I need.

spacer.png

Still undecided on whether to go 53153 Acto-Power or 53263 Dyna-Run.

• Like 11

Both really cool Tamiya brushed motors. Hard decision. I only have the dyna run and it's quick. For relaxed scale running it doesn't have to be that quick. Which gives you longer run times and maybe less maintenance (acto). I saw a diagram on here some time ago. Dyna run is 13turns and 33000 RPM, acto is 15t and 29000 RPM. The dyna run should be a bit faster... Both look great and similar.. Oh I see you have them on the picture... They look fantastic. Or keep em that way like new, and put a mild brushless in... They deteriorate so fast and the stickers get demolished etc..