Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My RC burn-out doesn’t appear have lasted too long, in part thanks to my son asking to get the trucks out at the weekend.

Today I took advantage of a 20% off eBay voucher to buy a servo for one of the two models I had pre-ordered before I started feeling ‘meh’.

I was going to purchase an HW 1060 to go with it but the same UK-based seller wanted £35?! I’m not even sure that ESC is the one I want for this model (though I could do with a couple to replace some that have recently started to glitch).

On the train home I skim read a BigSquid blog post which finished by suggesting that the global chip shortage will affect RC in 2022. Fear mongering? Maybe not when John Holmes mentioned that one of his projects had been delayed due to COVID-related shortages.

• Like 3

@Badcrumble I think there will be some level of shortage of RC goods and kits in 2022.   That and transportation related delays. 

I am trying to get a hold of 2 more kits that should carry me well into mid-late 2022.  

58 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@Badcrumble I think there will be some level of shortage of RC goods and kits in 2022.   That and transportation related delays. 

I am trying to get a hold of 2 more kits that should carry me well into mid-late 2022.  

LOL all the more reason to go crazy and buy 15+ kits in the next week so you know you will get the kits you want...

my TD, sabre and various GUndam kits are more than enough right now for 2023 with my levels of procrastination...

I mean come 2022 we'll probably have to sell our children to get bread, so RC cars will be the least of our problems! 

You could well be right, @Nikko85, though maybe some excess kits would go first to offset the gas bill.

I have more than enough ‘projects’ in my stash to see me through without the two kits I pre-ordered @nel33. Tempting though it may be to buy more, I have simply run out of space.

You can bet @Willy iine that it will be the one last piece that I need to finish something off that will be out of stock throughout 2022.

For a start, where are all the MF-01X hop-ups?!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nel33 said:

LOL all the more reason to go crazy and buy 15+ kits in the next week so you know you will get the kits you want...

my TD, sabre and various GUndam kits are more than enough right now for 2023 with my levels of procrastination...

Glad I'm not the only sufferer. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, toyolien said:

Glad I'm not the only sufferer. :rolleyes:

i procrastinated for a year on 1 Gundam kit and can easily procrastinate for 6 months on a build. rc builds can get as long as 3 months for me depending on if i have sudden impulse to work on a project. if i let that single moment pass without acting on it then the opportunity is GONE. i got 4 Gundams and 2 rc cars on the to procrastinate list LOL.

i also got a few anime related manga/LN alongside some thriller fiction books on the procrastination list...

I procrastinated today.. no RC due to working at the office..  Meetings after meetings after meetings after..  :huh:

Tomorrow I’m going to spend some good quality time with Willy and Billy for sure..

New rear tires and bearings for this. Also a hurried repair of the front shock top mount as it’s slightly cracked…

B29DB61E-9818-452A-A25F-4F86E9148080.jpeg

• Like 2

Pinion for the Marui Shogun came in, so the motor could finally be mounted and added electronics.

I also realised I had 4 NOS tires that I used to buy for a Kyosho model, and they fitted the Shogun perfectly so wheels are now complete.

VzlXVtq.jpg

Took it for a small test-drive in the garden, and it runs perfectly and smooth. So now all I need to finish this car is to get a can of PS-5. ^_^

1jpBJFK.jpg

• Like 6

So what I worked on today..

Side mirrors for my Willy’s Wheeler City Turbo.   Cause cars look weird without side mirrors.  

I took the largest one from the random mirrors I bought and trimmed the base to fit the City’s triangle window.  I removed the post because I will be 3M taping them on instead of drilling a vintage body in new condition. 

IMG_Oct132021at121949PM.jpg.a563b428cbae5e569a8666db9b37d033.jpg

IMG_Oct132021at122010PM.jpg.c7154cd7c3a3b220c03ca8fa63880cb7.jpg

Once the paint dries I will brush paint the base and matte it down to match the faded white body color.  

Update.. the mirror base is painted black and while waiting for it to dry, I decided to try my new acrylic smoke that arrived today to tint Billy’s Beetle head lights (originally Sand Scorcher body) as they are just too white for the color scheme I have.  

I just brushed painted them on the inside.. looks okay so far.

IMG_Oct132021at33724PM.jpg.f4b1c28855f864c3e4415938d32afb4d.jpg

This is how clear they were before..

IMG_Oct132021at34133PM.jpg.60271ebec87eebab93f5939170956b6f.jpg

Will let these dry for another 15 min or so. 

Update… I like this tint.  Now matches the factory Blitzer Beetle’s tinted headlights for only $2.50!!  Had I bought the L-parts tree, $35.  :lol:

IMG_Oct132021at40500PM.jpg.e73ffa7bf42cb38ea8d27b0084cbc4aa.jpg

Update….

IMG_Oct132021at61020PM.jpg.68d45c14fcbeef71b910937309f0f010.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 6

Packed up the RC workshop, or as the wife calls it, the dining room…  dang in-laws coming into town…

• Haha 4

Still lots of tidying to do along with decals and alloy to add once they turn up in the post.

I also want to add a roll bar and snorkel exhaust but need to find kit that fits.

Anyway, finally got the Land Cruiser out for a very quick test drive. Didn’t realise quite how easy these things pull wheelies! Oh, and the forward rolls took me by surprise too. Not sure how long this will stay in one piece 😆

D6390197-6BB2-4522-8BE1-2EB38F0EB5A1.thumb.jpeg.e0a376cb9c73780b4b3d879a196d624a.jpeg

961BD570-8A68-49FF-B3E0-9A16139F8F40.thumb.jpeg.cf5e63d39857b38a9dfc90ccee6c35fb.jpeg

• Like 4

What I worked on today..  

Yesterday I installed some generic side mirrors I found online on my City Turbo.  General fitment was pretty terrible as the pictures I posted earlier.   What it didn't show was how horrific it dog eared when looked at from the front..

IMG_Oct142021at75707AM.jpg.94ea01966174ea0f265c9e7586339db3.jpg

I should've checked that angle before installing as I could have heat gun manipulated it, but after all the paint it's not so easy to do.  So I remounted onto the car adding a slight angle.  

You can see the slight over lap onto the window frame.   It's not recognizable unless I point it out and looked at close up.  

IMG_Oct142021at75737AM.jpg.4a49660bbd184b58533cca463072ec8e.jpg

Not perfect but I'm not a perfectionist so this will do for now.  Rather this than having a gap between the window and mirror base..

IMG_Oct142021at75754AM.jpg.f34a5d7d295b947e0702b6c963a45af9.jpg

IMG_Oct142021at75814AM.jpg.5753c1637b4e34806feb87f6803260ff.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

Tyre writing. Looks great if you don't get too close 😅

NrG1vvj.jpg

I'm not really a buggy fan, but **** that TD looks good! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

Tyre writing. Looks great if you don't get too close 😅

NrG1vvj.jpg

Mine after just one run (zoom in on the rear). 

spacer.png

16 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Took the kids out on our last full day in London. 

spacer.png

You are one brave person, that RC  plane looks crazy expensive.its nice to see the old planes when they are displayed. Looks like they are ready to be removed from the mount and just take off from nearest runway the can find..

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, nel33 said:

You are one brave person, that RC  plane looks crazy expensive.its nice to see the old planes when they are displayed. Looks like they are ready to be removed from the mount and just take off from nearest runway the can find..

Is that Hendon or Bentley Priory?

2 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Is that Hendon or Bentley Priory?

Hendon 

3 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Mine after just one run (zoom in on the rear). 

spacer.png

What did you use? I usually use "Sipa" oil based markers which hold up pretty well but I didnt have yellow so had to use a Posca water based paint marker and I don't thinking it's going to last very long lol

19 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Took the kids out on our last full day in London. 

spacer.png

So that's where that gigantic Airfix kit ended up? LOL

Supermarine-Spitfire-model.jpg

• Haha 4