Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have to report I did not do anything RC related today.. :ph34r: 

Reason is one of my musical instruments was acting up and had to fix it first.. then my BT receiver arrived and the output was so hot I needed to rearrange my rack to add a compressor/limiter between the player and my mixer.. and once that was set up, I sat in my music room and listened to all sorts of tracks to see how the unit sounded with the rest of the system.   I checked my watch and it was supper time so..  I failed today, what have I done..I am sorry.   

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I have to report I did not do anything RC related today.. :ph34r: 

Reason is one of my musical instruments was acting up and had to fix it first.. then my BT receiver arrived and the output was so hot I needed to rearrange my rack to add a compressor/limiter between the player and my mixer.. and once that was set up, I sat in my music room and listened to all sorts of tracks to see how the unit sounded with the rest of the system.   I checked my watch and it was supper time so..  I failed today, what have I done..I am sorry.   

😅

take a break and let rest of us get a chance to catch up

• Haha 3

With the main and basher bodies of thr M-06 (mostly) out of the way, I started on the chassis. Built up the gearbox with YR bits and a LT motor. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

just call it a Rally version for extra ground clearance 😉

Thanks to you, I got a M-06, and thanks to you again, I have to get a 4WD M chassis! 

• Haha 1

Yesterday, I discovered that all 4 hi-caps on my recent Egress build were slowly leaking from the bottom of the cylinder.

Today, I removed them and have so far dismantled the fronts to see if I can work out why.

Components wise, they were assembled as per instructions with the exception of TRF x-rings (which I have not used before) in place of the stock o-rings. Green slime was applied to the spacer, x-ring and cylinder end mating surfaces. 50wt Losi oil was used which is supposedly quite a bit heavier than the stock Tamiya yellow silicone oil.

I have measured the dimensions (as best you can measure something so soft with vernier calipers) of the x-rings against o-rings and they are pretty much the same, except perhaps the ID, which appears to be slightly larger, by slightly I mean 0.1 - 0.15mm different. Hard to be certain though.

Just wanted to run this by you guys and see if anyone can shed some light.

Super Relaxing Build day today in the way of a permanent chassis for my already painted Scorcher body. Dare I say a ‘Shelf Queen’!!

I haven’t put any oil in the shocks other than a smidgin to lube the rubbers, all the metal parts have had a light polish and seal with 303 car sealant to ward off any premature tarnishing, and all the fixings have had a dap of grease on them, just in case this should ever end up in the hands of someone like @jonboy1 to restore to make his life a bit easier 😉

Perfect end to 2021, gotta love an SRB 😁

624A9CEF-EE1E-4D45-9B5F-78B05263F1D1.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

D20828CF-CE8C-47EB-9492-43E139E504A3.jpeg.1c6b7730179c9fdb83c1bccd9a63559b.jpeg9A420BE2-7B15-48EE-A53C-916A79D7F98F.jpeg.5d3edb1473e16f7e706d00052d97e168.jpegC2CECC5B-469B-4A28-ADEF-C93702780F9A.jpeg.aa464370a231c9468af21415f1134926.jpeg

Added window frame and misc decals. The red Honda on the nose makes the car look like Rudolph. Rear lights were a pain.  Also the rear light bar is too fluorescent for my taste. 

need to add mirrors, wing and magnetic body posts.  

last 10% takes the longest time to complete 😅

22D48F1E-1923-4C1D-B768-F6C7CC100721.jpeg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Zealot said:

Yesterday, I discovered that all 4 hi-caps on my recent Egress build were slowly leaking from the bottom of the cylinder.

Today, I removed them and have so far dismantled the fronts to see if I can work out why.

Components wise, they were assembled as per instructions with the exception of TRF x-rings (which I have not used before) in place of the stock o-rings. Green slime was applied to the spacer, x-ring and cylinder end mating surfaces. 50wt Losi oil was used which is supposedly quite a bit heavier than the stock Tamiya yellow silicone oil.

I have measured the dimensions (as best you can measure something so soft with vernier calipers) of the x-rings against o-rings and they are pretty much the same, except perhaps the ID, which appears to be slightly larger, by slightly I mean 0.1 - 0.15mm different. Hard to be certain though.

Just wanted to run this by you guys and see if anyone can shed some light.

From my experience with all sorts of dampers in the past, ones that leak just do.  It’s usually due to micron level lack of compression on the o-rings.     GreenSlime sometimes work, but it’s 50/50. 

I have packets of x-rings arriving today.  I shall use those on my Egress build.  X-ring are wear items, they need to be replaced on occasion. 

@Re-Bugged Very nice!!   My SandScorcher does not run oil in the dampers.  :D  (mainly shelf queen as well)..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trimmed, sanded and masked the Alfa body today. Then started painting but after two coats it's started to rain and I had to stop. Hopefully tomorrow it will be dry so I can continue.

A little teaser...

IMG20211231161302_compress60.thumb.jpg.56e4d3d61c0004e3da66121612273f03.jpg

• Like 7

well today i got to do a bit of tinkering in a long time last week i deceided to finish of the shock rebuild on my revo but do you think i could find the rebuild kit i know i brought but nooooooooooooooo. (just like a pen as soon as its put down and we turn away from it its gone ) so i managed to find the only one on e-bay and it turned up today so rebuilt the rear shocks and noticed the front didn't seem right so re oil'd them again justa acouple of things left to change and it will be good for a blast for the first time in prob 6 years

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Aerobert said:

Trimmed, sanded and masked the Alfa body today. Then started painting but after two coats it's started to rain and I had to stop. Hopefully tomorrow it will be dry so I can continue.

A little teaser...

IMG20211231161302_compress60.thumb.jpg.56e4d3d61c0004e3da66121612273f03.jpg

There are so many Alfa builds in the forum recently, thanks to @Re-Bugged I suppose? 

• Like 2

On 12/29/2021 at 9:48 PM, Busdriver said:

Managed to find a window in the weather when the inside of the shed with the heaters on was just ok to spray my 2 CC02 bodies. First is the Unimog. It just had to be green, I might have to put a Matt coat on the outside cos whoever heard of a shiny Mog??? 540FE592-4604-43C6-A672-23FAEDD0E8C0.jpeg.6df7e1883b9a1562aaaedef4647ff942.jpeg
D9D2066F-0F9E-4552-A56E-63F33240E431.jpeg.1a5323ada1b10bcd5e2255ff5cd52568.jpeg

Now I am tempted to get an Unimog, RCMart had agreed to refund me the extra tax in store credit and they have a 406 going cheap. 

Rebuild with ball bearings my brand new BZ motor for a quick project.

I struggle a bit with the bearing a the bottom, this was pretty tight, any tips for that one ? I think I damage mine during installation. Motor without any load runs warm quickly.

fYyv9gb.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

There are so many Alfa builds in the forum recently, thanks to @Re-Bugged I suppose? 

I missed the boat one the further batches. I always want one and when my wife asked me what I want for Christmas, it was pretty clear. But it would be a lie to say the Giulia of @Re-Bugged was not the inspiration.

• Thanks 1

To kind @Aerobert @silvertriple & @alvinlwh, I to missed out on the previous run of Alfa Giulia’s as well after seeing some other fine examples on here. So stumbling across them again at Tamico, it was a no brainier and straight into the cart.

There was talk on Big Squid of the Alpine again a while back, but unfortunately that hasn’t materialised. My other favourite looking M-Chassis car. So I bought a Truck instead to see what the other end of the spectrum was like😉

44331ED5-ECC0-44D4-BA3C-3B61BB6D9E19.jpg

Just wanting to say if your in it for the build, it comes in copious quantities with a 1/14 Big Rig 😉

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Willy iine said:

From my experience with all sorts of dampers in the past, ones that leak just do.  It’s usually due to micron level lack of compression on the o-rings.     GreenSlime sometimes work, but it’s 50/50. 

I have packets of x-rings arriving today.  I shall use those on my Egress build.  X-ring are wear items, they need to be replaced on occasion. 

Yes, that's exactly what I suspect is the case (all it can be, really) despite them measuring up the same thickness as the the o-ring. The different cross-section may result in less or different deformation of the x-ring.

These shocks and x-rings are brand new built a couple of weeks ago and never run.  The only work they've done is me compressing the suspension by hand on the bench, so I think I can rule out wear.

So, there's 2 options. Rebuild them with the stock o-rings and see how they go or keep the x-rings but add a shim to compress them more. I would like to try the latter (if only to prove or disprove the theory) however I don't have any ready-made shims in a material that is sure not to scratch the shock shaft, which may cause leakage in itself. Would have to make some.

47 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Yes, that's exactly what I suspect is the case (all it can be, really) despite them measuring up the same thickness as the the o-ring. The different cross-section may result in less or different deformation of the x-ring.

These shocks and x-rings are brand new built a couple of weeks ago and never run.  The only work they've done is me compressing the suspension by hand on the bench, so I think I can rule out wear.

So, there's 2 options. Rebuild them with the stock o-rings and see how they go or keep the x-rings but add a shim to compress them more. I would like to try the latter (if only to prove or disprove the theory) however I don't have any ready-made shims in a material that is sure not to scratch the shock shaft, which may cause leakage in itself. Would have to make some.

Before I tried x-rings long time ago, I made these circular shims out of transparencies with holes punched out in the middle.  My wife is a crafty person (Mac's auto-correct changed to 'crazy person' :lol: wahaha!) and she has various sized hole punchers and there was one that was pretty much exact to the damper shaft diameter.  I sandwiched a sheet between the 2 o-rings and it gave enough compression to stop the leaking..   

Finished up fitting the plastic bits to the bodies while watching Hogmanay at home since the First Minister had cancelled New Year. 

Just side mirrors on the NSU. 

spacer.png

And the chrome bits on the Ghia. Looks even more classy now. If James Bond is German, I am sure this is the car he drives. 

spacer.png

Happy New Year everyone. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

To kind @Aerobert @silvertriple & @alvinlwh, I to missed out on the previous run of Alfa Giulia’s as well after seeing some other fine examples on here. So stumbling across them again at Tamico, it was a no brainier and straight into the cart.

There was talk on Big Squid of the Alpine again a while back, but unfortunately that hasn’t materialised. My other favourite looking M-Chassis car. So I bought a Truck instead to see what the other end of the spectrum was like😉

44331ED5-ECC0-44D4-BA3C-3B61BB6D9E19.jpg

Just wanting to say if your in it for the build, it comes in copious quantities with a 1/14 Big Rig 😉

This is possibly what will happen. My wife was a little bit disappointed that the build of the chassis was completed after four days. I said if you want to see me longer occupied with a kit I need a truck. Let's see what happens. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3