Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 minutes ago, naturbo2000 said:

I really mustn't. Otherwise it'll end with me getting carried away and grafting in a carbon fibre astute chassis. I've already seen that fibre-lyte do one and I reckon it's an easy swap.

qe0kXsL.gif

It can be done quite easily:)...

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/99554-madcap-vintage-modified-build/&

• Like 2

20220223_224916

Various little jobs done that mean this is now good to run, plus fitted big sand paddles and raised the ride height. Should hopefully get a chance to run it tomorrow, or at least over the coming days, and have a good gravelly dirt area to try out... 

(Associated B64D with truggy conversion) 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, naturbo2000 said:

Yes. That's exactly what I've got to try not to do.

c3Adhgu.png

I equate this with Anakin being representative of us average Joe's... being taunted by the evil spirit of Senator Tamiya.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, naturbo2000 said:

With tangential relevance to "falling down the rabbit hole" an Alice in Wonderland quote: "I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it." 😉

14 minutes ago, naturbo2000 said:

Too late, once you start hearing voices in your head, you must oblige..    Do not fight it, it will only make things worse.  

:lol:     Now @naturbo2000 is worried he joined some kind of weird cult.

:wacko:  <= naturbo2000

• Haha 2

Don't worry. I already know I'm going to fail at not doing the thing.

Fingers crossed I can stall on the gearbox needing some attention. Though "obviously" I've now started investigating the Super Astute TTC. I thought shooting for an Avante was going to get expensive...

Resurrecting the Madcap was going to be a cheap way of keeping the kids off my Top Force Evo. What a fool I've been.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Willy iine said:

Now @naturbo2000 is worried he joined some kind of weird cult.

Let's face it, he pretty much has. A cult led by Senator Tamiya who feeds on the souls of those ever tempted by the next mod... his power grows with every penny spent... as the collections grow so does his grip:ph34r:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

Let's face it, he pretty much has. A cult led by Senator Tamiya who feeds on the souls of those ever tempted by the next mod... his power grows with every penny spent... as the collections grow so does his grip:ph34r:

You are so right.. he's like Kaonashi.. and those re-re Avante's are ridiculously expensive again.  I ordered 2 units NIB from a private seller and a factory body set today.  It's coming from across the pond so it will be a long 2-3 weeks wait..  :blink:    I decided I like the factory blue version better, so going to paint mine blue/box art.  :D

So that's it for me this year..  3 cars:

1. Avante (re-re).. one to build, one for shelf.

2. nicherotors 4WD City Turbo 

3. CC02 Bronco

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Buy it bud, you're worth it;)

Thanks ;)

But I only really want it so I can have a decent buggy that I can be less careful with (as replacement parts will be easier to come by). I wonder if I should just get a Traxxas Slash or Bandit. That way I won't have to hold my breath every time the kids have a controller in their hand ;) I know that's a totally different proposition but the problem is every time I build a car I get far more protective of it than I thought when I started the build :D

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

SmHJjFi.jpgI may leave the body as is, or paint as a King Cab, for a QD King Cab. Now I've converted the wheels to hex, I could also perhaps run very slightly smaller wheels. These are 115 mm OD tires (Pumpkin Standard) but going to 100 mm might work a little better? Or just leave as is, and make a king cab more of a monster. 

Totally missed this post of yours yesterday.

Yes, you have to do a King Cab! I'm keeping my eye on eBay for a bargain for exactly this reason. No bargains in sight yet though :angry:

9 hours ago, Willy iine said:

TMI!!!  ;)

no, you are calculating TMI the wrong way...

you find the correct TMI when you take the *this following text has been censored so it doesn't break the forum rules*

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

Mine is longer :D

Size isn’t everything!!!!!!

• Haha 1

The real life 1:1 scale LC40 search was a bit of a bust. The project was too much to take on and the completed FJ40 became a bidding war, not somewhere I want to be!

But then got my GF01 started. It's a simple build so it's a good way along. I've kept it simple this time (no bling) with just bearings and some basic shocks from YeahRacing (still to fit). Not quite sure what will sit on this one yet. Probably one of the Radio Shack shells. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Totally missed this post of yours yesterday.

Yes, you have to do a King Cab! I'm keeping my eye on eBay for a bargain for exactly this reason. No bargains in sight yet though :angry:

I could look into it. A WW2 chassis could also be a candidate, reverse the rear arms to get to 190 mm or so, then get the body as low as you can, with slightly smaller tires, perhaps 90 mm

Just this!!

DCB625AA-184D-49D0-8A8D-00092EBF898E.jpeg.79072bbf6f3e4c573053e815e98b5dcb.jpeg

F9193F2C-08CF-4989-ABDD-5592F3AABEBC.jpeg.0c591bf7bdd92fd3f5cfd0b36d6c5e88.jpeg

ADA6D428-B117-4C02-A5BA-59A21FF34A01.jpeg.dc654c0b159709ea4147285cd17e80d3.jpeg

D5A00EDC-125C-41BF-9E86-9FEEE27897A4.jpeg.44b52c1af689089e1247fa2e0e1d32ec.jpeg

Brand new M05 has been being built over the last few days. The body was masked yesterday and sprayed today. Let cure for 24 hours and I’ll start the stickers. Looks like lots!!!!!

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Willy iine said:

So that's it for me this year..  3 cars

Only 3 cars @Willy iine? ...I'll check in with you in 4-6wks time and see how you're getting on with that rationale;)

• Haha 3

My 2 ongoing builds. Highly recommend the Kyosho bike if you want to try something a little different. And this pic made me wonder...is box art drawn to scale??

egress and kyosho bike.jpg

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Only 3 cars @Willy iine? ...I'll check in with you in 4-6wks time and see how you're getting on with that rationale;)

:lol: Haha!     You sensed I have a taste for my nostalgic itch of doing a re-re Hotshot in black as how mine was in the 80's.. that car was kick-butt for its time.  It destroyed all my friends cars (starting with an annoying Fox I was determined to kill :angry:) and their ego's.   It was fantastic.   My buddy gets a hotter motor for his Fox, I get an even hotter motor for my Hotshot.   Complete domination of my neighborhood.  :D

I mean, Avante and Egress and 4WD touring cars all started from the Hotshot, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Room335 Nice!  How small are the pieces on that Kyosho bike?  I always wanted a static 1:12 model sports bike to decorate my pretend RC shop, but my eyes are no longer good enough to do static models.. I've been looking at a few diecast prebuilt models..

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

:lol: Haha!     You sensed I have a taste for my nostalgic itch of doing a re-re Hotshot in black as how mine was in the 80's.. that car was kick-butt for its time.  It destroyed all my friends cars (starting with an annoying Fox I was determined to kill :angry:) and their ego's.   It was fantastic.   My buddy gets a hotter motor for his Fox, I get an even hotter motor for my Hotshot.   Complete domination of my neighborhood.  :D

I mean, Avante and Egress and 4WD touring cars all started from the Hotshot, right?

Haha! Sounds like a blast @Willy iine, I was transported off to some sort of US ET/Goonies childhood world for a moment there! Sounds like you crushed the competition:)

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2022 at 6:33 PM, c64orinoco said:

When Tommy G had hair !  I grew up with the D'Gen / Late Show etc and I confirm that this is "comedy GOLD"....  I recommend you have a little look at episodes of "****scared" and "Charlie the Wonder Dog" if you have a Golden Retriever !

"Graham and the Colonel" were super stars of sports broadcasting back then !  Thanks @c64orinoco  for the reminder !

• Like 2

@Kol__ You'll be disappointed to know I haven't bought anything beyond bearings just yet.

But I'd be lying if I said there weren't browser tabs open for:

• VQS Hi Caps that I'm pretty sure can be made to fit
  • Fibre-lyte Super Astute deck and shock mounts
  • JC Racing for some Egress style wheels
  • That Super Astute Rere TTC on ebay right now (£150 for a gearbox to go in a 30 year old car that cost less than that in the first place...)

After which, I'm thinking I'll have done a whole "Trigger's Broom" and my Madcap wouldn't even be my Madcap anymore. And the total cost will be more than my Top Force Evo.

Sigh. This hobby is ridiculous. Will cheer myself up by going off to buy some camlock wheels for the Avante I don't own.

• Like 3