Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@Scoob45 Awesome collection you got there!   Do you collect Novak receivers by any chance?   

I have these from the 90’s and a whole bunch of R133 and R135 JR FM receivers.  :D 

Love your lathe.   I still have mine too and a handful of motors I put together with armatures I bought in Akiba.  

Everyone was running 9 and 10 turns at the time barely keeping 3min run times while I ran my custom 12 turn with nearly the same speed, but run time of 5min.  which had a huge advantage 2min into the race as my 2000mAh packs were far from dumping.  

IMG_2022-3-11-110838.jpg.0641ed5ca778e4ee5f656278d54172f3.jpg

• Like 1

I have am illness where I hear voices in my head associated with a tracking number..  :ph34r:         I blame @mtbkym01.. 

:lol:  

• Haha 3

I've been tinkering for a long time with a monster truck build... not based on a Tamiya... but it does have some Tamiya parts in there!

Got the interior finished up today after a few weeks of slowly tinkering around...

20220310_185842-01.jpeg

20220310_185734-01.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice work, @bRIBEGuy!   Is that a cup of water to the left so he does not spill it while dorifuto?    :lol:

(just in case it is an Initial D joke.. )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Nice work, @bRIBEGuy!   Is that a cup of water to the left so he does not spill it while dorifuto?    :lol:

(just in case it is an Initial D joke.. )

Thanks @Willy iine.  The cup of water is a reference yes... but it's back to the first Jurassic Park movie.  ;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Thanks @Willy iine.  The cup of water is a reference yes... but it's back to the first Jurassic Park movie.  ;)

Ahhh, the rippling water scene!  

@Willy iine I don't have any vintage receivers. Used to have the novak with the adjustable frequency...can't remember the model name. Those XXLs are classics. Since Novak went out of business I made it a point to snatch up the good Ebay deals when they come around. I remember the old Sanyo 2000 Nicads and the era when runtime was a huge aspect of a winning setup. My first battery pack were Sanyo 1400SCRs. Man I'm getting old lol.

I love messing around with the old motors. I have tons of brushless gear as well and would hate to go back to using brushed/ Nickel battery setups alone but there is something I miss about the tuning aspects of that era. To me the BL stuff is like modern autos with computer controlled super efficient high horsepower engines while Brushed is like working on an old carbereted classic. Lower power for there size and low efficiency but simple and mechanical. The brushed motors have a smooth broad power curve that is familiar and takes me back. I can't get a BL motor to feel quite the same. They tend to feel explosive which is a lot of fun for sure. I have some very low turn mods as well. I recently spooled up a Fantom P-94 based 10x1 on my dyno and the sound of a low turn brushed motor @45000 rpm was familiar but I had forgotten how much they scream lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

Sand scorcher for sure. Are hornet wheels the same size as the sand scorcher internally?

I tried to find a definitive answer but it’s really hard to find a consistent set of measurements.

The ones I ordered are listed as compatible with sand scorcher and grasshopper. Other places I’ve seen them as grasshopper and frog. I THINK that the hornet rear is a different diameter. 

2 hours ago, Frankster said:

TGIF. Finally finished the decals….

Super-cool frankster. That looks awesome. 

7 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

I've been tinkering for a long time with a monster truck build... not based on a Tamiya... but it does have some Tamiya parts in there!

Got the interior finished up today after a few weeks of slowly tinkering around...

20220310_185842-01.jpeg

20220310_185734-01.jpeg

Haha! Love it mate. You should sent a pic of it to Jeff!!:lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frankster said:

TGIF. Finally finished the decals….

Ah nice Frank, that looks awesome mate, such nice work and def a step above the box art!!B)

6 hours ago, Frankster said:

Double post, again. Anyone else getting the forum hanging and crashing on saving posts at the mo? Is happening to me daily currently:angry:

Took my two 3Rs out for a drive and found that I lost 10mph compared to last week's run. 

M4:

spacer.png

MG Evo:

spacer.png

And it stopped dead after about 5 minutes. Looks like I finally managed to toast a silver can. Got home and took a closer look. A brush had fallen out. 

spacer.png

So took the chance to put in the Speed Passion 17.5T and changed the FDR to a more sensible 4.93 from the 2.79 of the silver can. 

spacer.png

Will be getting less top speed out of this one. I had however changed the sensor to a +10 degrees one and set the bell end to +11 degrees giving a total of +21 degrees. Hopefully this will improve the disappointing performance of the motor. 

spacer.png

And freed up a brushed ESC for the MST TCR-M build. 

20 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Double post, again. Anyone else getting the forum hanging and crashing on saving posts at the mo? Is happening to me daily currently:angry:

Yeah, I thought my iPhone was slow, but it appears to be the site today.  Lots of traffic maybe?  

I got an update that my Avante #2 finally cleared customs and on its way to my local post office.  Hopefully in the coming days I will receive it.  

• Like 1

Just now, Willy iine said:

Dang @alvinlwh, my 1:1 hobby car has less rust than your RC car!  :lol:  

I tried changing the screws to stainless but they round too easily so I am not sure what to do next. WD40 only worked for a while. 

1 minute ago, alvinlwh said:

I tried changing the screws to stainless but they round too easily so I am not sure what to do next. WD40 only worked for a while. 

Yeah I would use a light application of  dielectric grease.  

1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

Yes, I imagine it’s the same indexing issue that sometimes impacts the bigger threads. Just don’t click “submit reply” twice, even if it seems to be stuck on “saving”.

• Like 1

installed the last upgrade parts with 48pitch spur & pinion, and sticked the electronics to the chassis of my FF-03. only a few things more is needed and it is complete.

IMG-0077a.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

This? 

ACF50 ACF-50 Corrosion Block Waterproof Grease (57g) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007G2KVGI/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_DDZXKNRPKRAMNWQE88HN

That stuff is excellent, used it on all my motorcycles for years. For an RC car I reckon you'd be better off using a paint brush to apply it to only certain areas. You can buy it in liquid form as well as aerosol.

• Like 1