Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dang it, I just remembered I was supposed to make a red wall clock frame for Willy since I'd have some red paint out..  :wacko: completely forgot.   :lol:

Oh well, maybe next time.   

What other thing shall I make?  Hydraulic jack?   I suppose if I had a super garage like @toyolien's nice setup, making a 2 post out of aluminum extrusion pieces would make sense.. but I can't anchor the posts to the shelf.. well, I could but don't want to drill holes. :lol:

• Like 2

Was gonna finally build my td4 but got distracted by the pile of parts and hop ups on my table (been awhile since I’ve done anything rc other than buy stuff) so I decided to sort the stuff and try to figure out why I bought it, which I still have a few things I can’t figure out what my plan or reason for purchasing was, maybe it’ll come back to me one day... most likely after I’ve used them and will need to buy another :(. So I ended up putting tires on my ta08, built an almost complete f1 car, sorted my td4 and tc01 stuff and put everything else in a box to probably be forgotten about again :lol:.

6CA775C6-1F37-4315-B52E-7B7DA86AE0BD.thumb.jpeg.cc9395036f70480c2d2c2a1cdac3d1ff.jpeg

• Like 3

On 3/26/2022 at 5:53 AM, firefoxussr said:

I'm blown away at how cool the CLK GTR looks.  This is the 200mm nitro version, bought the shell years ago.  It was pre-cut but unpainted, tried to mold it years ago not successful, bought another uncut copy.  Thought I didn't have the CLK Sportswear decals, so I bought a set of D2 repros from MCI.  This will be the new body for my TT02R spec racing car (previous body was a McLaren 720S from BittyDesign).

spacer.png

And my other club racer, an M08 with a long OOP HPI Lancia Stratos body, the race organizer sold me a pair after seeing my rough/used one that I used to bash around with on my Cup Racer.

spacer.png

I wanted to do a non-standard paint scheme that wouldn't look so bad when the M08's bodywork gets rubbed during racing, I went with the 1975 San Remo winner scheme.  On the left you see the standard paint scheme on the Cup Racer with 3d printed wheels designed by @VagabondStarJXF

Nice HPI Lancia Statos.  I was looking for one but they are discontinued.  

What does OOP mean?

52 minutes ago, Frankster said:

What does OOP mean?

Out Of Production ;)

Today I drove the RC10 on snow for the first time. Despite it being too splotchy and wet, it was still a good run. I'm sure it would be a blast on hard packed snow, but at this rate I'll have to wait until next winter (not that I mind an early spring!). Fortunately the shell is a snug fit, and no snow went into the chassis and old electronics.

20220326-222530.jpg

20220326-222634.jpg

20220326-221949.jpg

During the walk we also stumbled upon some quite Jurassic looking snow prints...

20220326-192747.jpg

We'd love to see something exotic 🦖 (though I'm sure it's just a heron 😉)

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Frankster said:

Nice HPI Lancia Statos.  I was looking for one but they are discontinued.  

What does OOP mean?

It’s a shame as the HPI version is the only one that looks scale. All the other Stratos bodies have looked stretched or in some way mishapen🙁

Being time poor for RC lately, it was very satisfying to finally get some paint on a GT MK2 body today after a fair amount of masking 😅. I ran of steam once the yellow accents where masked so I painted those in, but the rest will have to get done later as my sister has reminded me it’s Mother’s Day in the UK so I’ll probably be on the phone most of the evening…

96244873-C3EB-41A5-BA4E-0934F3C9DE68.md. 

FD96F632-A9D0-44E5-8C30-C5CDFD18D406.md.

• Like 11

I got lost in the moment last night and stayed up until the early hours finishing my scorpion then forgot the clocks went forward (yeah I know phones change automatically but I didn't take any notice of it) good job I wasn't going to work! Actually while I was building it I took the diff apart because its pre-built and I remember someone doing this a while ago because they thought it was a bit noisy and it didn't have a bit of lubricant in it!....and guess what? It was bone dry! 

20220327_085117.jpg

• Like 11

Ordered new windows for the front of the house yesterday - they have a 22 week lead time,  this gives me time to get used to the astonishing cost of them 😂

Anyway the unexpected sale of my WW2 kit this morning was a Tamiya bonus 😊 which was the swiftly repurposed at the garden centre 😎

Loving all the TC content as usual and enjoying RC from a voyeuristic perspective 💥  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Got less done than I hoped this weekend but did get time to prepare the Radio Shack surf body and got a coat of primer on it.

51964019056_c4f286bb9d_b.jpg

• Like 7

Finishing reconditioning the used Manta Ray I picked up. Used rest of a black PS-5 paint I had from the Porsche 911 RSR Safari.   Considered changing the damper color but since the wing decal had yellow, it works.   The black body is a nice contrasts to the primer gray dish wheels C3088DC6-E287-4F92-92C3-744CD43D6B5B.jpeg.95cafe27e5a9970a295b01439e74e6da.jpeg
added a cockpit driver36DFC31F-FCF3-4B5F-8A7A-7C4DB58E98A8.jpeg.898b75cf7c6c6d4540832801987d0f2f.jpeg

used most of the box art decals.  Since some of the text was black I could not use all of them on the black body  

C7BDBB03-62CB-4EA6-98D6-BAB232299F4E.jpeg.9f0af1c1a15734db7feae4e3937374d2.jpegpainted driver   Kept it simple22EAB429-794B-45C6-B6CA-4B99B3662F40.jpeg.f750ef41f4140da42fb4aafd327f6030.jpeg

finished and tested her around the house with electronics installed.  Will take better photos tomorrow.93025CCD-24F7-474F-9A86-2ACFEBD699CD.jpeg.073003f6e454f23a45d7027fcc6fa2ea.jpeg

• Like 11

Good RC day. Other than finishing the Manta Ray, also added some parts to 911 RSR Safari. Installed mirrors, cable management, off-road jack with fuel can, shovel to roof rack with bungee cord.

RC lights arrived and will start installing the light buckets to the body next.  Also driver cockpit arrived and needs to be painted  E8A5AF83-CCB1-408E-8BE8-E21A92E2F535.jpeg.0578d9a272c5bf476612bca7a975111c.jpegE0409941-1D20-448D-A2F1-D18AEA4DA57D.jpeg.dd579ce0bd556c49f7705a85973b04bb.jpeg

• Like 8

On my Holiday Buggy. 

Shock tower support. 

Moved the switch from the side of the ESC to the top of the rear body support.  This way I can get to it without having to remove the body. 

Trashed a waterproof receiver box to fit. :D But it works. 

Notched out the battery tray to fit a 5200mah 2s Lipo from GensAce. 

IMG_20220326_050516.jpg

IMG_20220326_050553.jpg

IMG_20220326_050856.jpg

IMG_20220326_050903.jpg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, King_Pin said:

On my Holiday Buggy. 

Shock tower support. 

IMG_20220326_050516.jpg

@King_Pin where is the front shock tower support from?   I could use reinforcement in my two DT-02 trucks. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frankster said:

@King_Pin where is the front shock tower support from?   I could use reinforcement in my two DT-02 trucks. 

Can't you just make a brace out of ball cups and threaded shaft like on the Avante?   If mine looks too weak that is what I plan to do on my DT02..  Might even use turnbuckles give it a tad reload like on real cars.

Speaking of real cars, since I spent most of yesterday making the rolling oil drain pan, I decided to spend the morning in my car lounge.  I changed the oil on my 1:1 WRX STI this morning and took her out for a nice sunny weekend drive. :D   I cleaned up the car and also did some house chores.  I'm going to check storage voltage on my LiPo's later today and open the Sand Viper kit.  I should have the Egress dampers in the next couple of days so I hope to get the car done by next weekend.

As for Willy's next garage accessory, I'm going to make a replica of my Ponder trash can (right bottom of picture). :D   I also have a small stick-on blue clock on the way which I'm going to place in his display space.  

IMG_Oct172021at103711AM.jpg.571cfadc9ea31cf44981f8a9008f3438.jpg

• Like 5

About three hours of applying decals today and finishing off the body parts for the Kyosho Lotus GT1

spacer.png

spacer.png

More pics in my build thread

• Like 13

this is likely the worst place to ask this question but how much is nostalgia worth you you?

long ago when me and my brother were young, we had a never used tyco turbo outlaw 7 sprint rc shelf queen that was given away. i wish i was able to have found it but thats long gone. now i found one online, same model mostly functioning/never used. some minor damage and small missing parts. it would be a pain to work on ie  plastic wheel nuts should i ever need to remove the wheels.i saw it at $500 CAD now its $300 CAD it has some rear damage and rear pylons/guards are broken. this thing cost maybe $100 range??? back in the day. original box and parts are in the bid.

edit: i caved and bought it... it will be a shelf queen and light casual runner if i want. i didnt see any other for sale in that great of a condition. its missing the rear bumper guards likely broken when the back got damaged. i dont think i will be doing anything crazy with this. i hope it arrives in one piece safely. this is the pic provided by the seller.

i got enough RC cars but im going to write this off as a early birthday purchase.

turbo 7.png

• Like 7

A little bit of spraying today. I may have mentioned I had a couple of cars which were ruined with a reaction between the clear coat and Mr Sheen polish, making the clear coat feel sticky. I got fed up having a car that felt gummy to the touch and picked up dust like anything,  so I cleaned up and recoated with some Hycote clear.

J9mjAzO.jpeg

0QibK7F.jpeg

4qklxi0.jpeg

Now it looks much cleaner, and doesn't have that gummy feel. Whilst I was doing some work I cut some new windows too, using clearer transparent plastic, so you can see more of  Edgarmon. 

I'm a really big fan of a Hycote range, I've had zero coverage issues, it dries in minutes and doesn't smell too bad.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, nel33 said:

this is likely the worst place to ask this question but how much is nostalgia worth you you?

long ago when me and my brother were young, we had a never used tyco turbo outlaw 7 sprint rc shelf queen that was given away. i wish i was able to have found it but thats long gone. now i found one online, same model mostly functioning/never used. some minor damage and small missing parts. it would be a pain to work on ie  plastic wheel nuts should i ever need to remove the wheels.i saw it at $500 CAD now its $300 CAD it has some rear damage and rear pylons/guards are broken. this thing cost maybe $100 range??? back in the day. original box and parts are in the bid.

edit: i caved and bought it... it will be a shelf queen and light casual runner if i want. i didnt see any other for sale in that great of a condition. its missing the rear bumper guards likely broken when the back got damaged. i dont think i will be doing anything crazy with this. i hope it arrives in one piece safely. this is the pic provided by the seller.

i got enough RC cars but im going to write this off as a early birthday purchase.

turbo 7.png

Not all the wrong place. 

I'm a big fan of Taiyo cars, as are a few of us. Was it Kev or MadAx who was also looking for one of these. One on UK eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224634777045?hash=item344d46add5:g:eK8AAOSw1LphrT57

I don't own one, but my favourite looking RC ever  was the Taiyo Racing Pick Up 4x4.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, moffman said:

20220327_085117.jpg

It turned out gorgeous, congrats! Well worth the early hours for sure 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nikko85 said:

Not all the wrong place. 

I'm a big fan of Taiyo cars, as are a few of us. Was it Kev or MadAx who was also looking for one of these. One on UK eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224634777045?hash=item344d46add5:g:eK8AAOSw1LphrT57

I don't own one, but my favourite looking RC ever  was the Taiyo Racing Pick Up 4x4.

cant be sure which member was looking for which one as the 9 is mainly red with yellow. the 7 is as you can see yellow with silver. i always thought it was ugly back then now i appreciate it and have grown to like the color contrast. not sure what i can do to fix the rear guards but if i can do something that wont mangle it then i will attempt it.

at work we have some materials that are of similar thickness and material. dont think i can "borrow" some of it but they do know where to order some of it. this plastic rod is mouldable with heat and can be painted. it will require me to make a rough shape form but it can work. if needed i can glue it also.

• Like 1

@nel33 Anything not readily available is definitely a keeper.  Nice grab!   If it was $100 back then, probably worth minimum 3x the price today, at least that is how I look at vintage cars.   For example if I saw a M38 going for $450 with a partial build/unfinished body, that is a super deal.

I hope someday someone will value the many DigiQ cars I have.. may not seem to be worth anything now, but never know in 10-20years.   Might still be worth nothing.  :lol:   

@moffman Was the Scorpion Kyosho's version of the WildOne?   Looks great!

• Like 1