Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, casethejoint said:

I finally rebuilt my old Tamiya 6v pack today. The old cells, after 35+ years, were still holding around 180mAh of charge. Amazing really, but time for a refresh.

Found some super-cheap Sub-C NiCads (£7 for 6, delivered). For that price I didn't bother going NiMH.

It is upgraded though, from 1200mAh to 1800mAh - woohoo, feel the power.

Modern sub-c are slightly bigger than the old ones - but they do fit you just need to remove the spacing tabs inside the case which is pretty easy with a pair of nippers.

Will drop into the Sand Rover later in the week and take it for a spin.

Good job on the battery restore!  I wish someone would design a 3D printed battery housing. not only for yours but also the Tamiya hump back..!   I have a couple of the 1200mAh hump backs which are cool for decoration (still holds charge!), but would like to run new 3000+ mAh's in there..

I mean, these look okay.. but would look nicer if in "Tamiya" embossed housing and all..

IMG_Mar232021at53447PM.jpg.6bfcfef8dd1a3c18b27b2fb2a541e7dc.jpg

• Like 1

Haven’t done much RC driving for a while, in fact none so decided to make the most of the nice weather!!! Has cleared the patio ready for it’s spring clean so have a square about 4m x 4m to play with. Out came the Flamingo 3 wheeler and the DL12 Suzuki pickup. These are both a hoot to drive. Totally different but fun. Their batteries seem to last for ever. Today was the first time I’ve managed to flatten the DL12!!!  Then I used the M05 for the first time. I’m 😍. Took it out on the driveway and the road  and just hooned around. I just love the way fwd cars handle. Can’t see the tyres lasting long though. Then I took the battery out as it seemed to have plenty of juice left and put it in my CC02 Bronco (no @Willy iine I haven’t got a new one it’s the old body style on the new chassis) and then went for a 20 minute trek through the woods. Took a fresh pack with me (5000mah) but never needed it. Still had some left in the tank. Oh how I don’t miss the clockwork charger and 6 minute run times!!!!!! A good day all in all.

• Like 3

I wish someone would design a 3D printed battery housing

That would be pretty cool. Does anyone do the build file making part for cash? Maybe some things we could all chip in to, to get the files done so we could download and go get them printed.

I don't mind chipping in to the cost but I don't have the skill set to do the files.

Forgot to say took the TD4 out for a spin on short grass. I have to say I was underwhelmed!!! Perhaps that’s why I forgot to mention it. Mine has a black SS motor and 7.2v NiMh’s which I really don’t think is enough. Very smooth drive though I wasn’t concentrating and drove into a brick wall and broke part of the front bumperette off

• Sad 1

Went out for another try with my TT02B Scorcher on a gravel football (soccer) field, got a couple of laps in and then the rear right wheel rolled away, luckily i didnt lose and parts as the center broke out of the 3d printed rim, rather than the wheel nut coming off.

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I wish someone would design a 3D printed battery housing. not only for yours but also the Tamiya hump back..!

18 minutes ago, casethejoint said:

Does anyone do the build file making part for cash?

If i can get some good measurements and reference pics id be up for giving it a go, im no 3d design hotshot tho and have no intent of charging if i do put something like that out :)

• Like 1

Today my TL-01LA received a pair of Fibre Lyte carbon plates for its quick-release battery holder.

2022-04-03_08-52-46

They are much prettier and better-made than the stock fibreglass items, with clean machined edges rather than the rough ones of the stock items that appear to have been chewed to shape by a small but industrious rodent. They also add to the race-oriented look of the chassis, which has had shiny alloy bits for a while now, but no carbon until today.

2022-04-03_08-52-25

• Like 6

I've gotten a few questions on this car..  Here are the specs once again..

Chassis is an entry level DT02 SandViper (it was like $160 in the USA, comes with bearings and oil dampers), Egress/VQS hi capacity damper set #47455, and HolidayBuggy wheels & tires (you can get the black wheels for the RacingFighter, but the tires are different on the rear if one cares).  Paint is PS23 gunmetal body and PS5 black wing.  The driver is from a Sand Scorcher..   Hope this helps and GL with your SandVipers!

IMG_2022-4-1-180317.thumb.jpg.920c14a1f046ca646490268b70f046a3.jpg

..and YES, the large “Tamiya” decals are included in the SandViper kit. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Haven’t done much RC driving for a while, in fact none so decided to make the most of the nice weather!!! Has cleared the patio ready for it’s spring clean so have a square about 4m x 4m to play with. Out came the Flamingo 3 wheeler and the DL12 Suzuki pickup. These are both a hoot to drive. Totally different but fun. Their batteries seem to last for ever. Today was the first time I’ve managed to flatten the DL12!!!  Then I used the M05 for the first time. I’m 😍. Took it out on the driveway and the road  and just hooned around. I just love the way fwd cars handle. Can’t see the tyres lasting long though. Then I took the battery out as it seemed to have plenty of juice left and put it in my CC02 Bronco (no @Willy iine I haven’t got a new one it’s the old body style on the new chassis) and then went for a 20 minute trek through the woods. Took a fresh pack with me (5000mah) but never needed it. Still had some left in the tank. Oh how I don’t miss the clockwork charger and 6 minute run times!!!!!! A good day all in all.

Oh okay, okay.. I was like how the heck did you get your CC02 Bronco already??!   :lol:  I'm waiting for an email from my LHS in a few weeks..

Sounds great you had a blast!! :D 

Took a day off work to finally start assembling my 4WD Blitzer Beetle.  Need to visit the hobby shop to pick up a few parts. FDA71FC1-4360-4096-A8A1-82F5CF623AE4.jpeg.5fba08befddb4c23a9dc31d1b63a1b31.jpegE1812BDC-F206-4C00-AFDE-17A330C32209.jpeg.3c2a6ef0842c789c032f02f40a576da3.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Frankster said:

Took a day off work to finally start assembling my 4WD Blitzer Beetle.  Need to visit the hobby shop to pick up a few parts.

Looking sweet, if you are interested ive sorted tt02b beetle shell mounts, free 3d printable files are up in one of my threads over in TC design :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ziddan said:

Looking sweet, if you are interested ive sorted tt02b beetle shell mounts, free 3d printable files are up in one of my threads over in TC design :)

Thank you.   I like apocalypse one you made with Dredd as the driver.  

Thanks for the offer.  I am using carbon towers. Will your mount work?   I don’t have a 3D printer but there is a guy around here who charges for printing a file. 

39 minutes ago, Frankster said:

I am using carbon towers. Will your mount work?

The front one screws to the body post holes on the front diff, the rear mounts to the wing mount holes and slots over the original rear body post.

I think both should be possible to attach but ive slightly modified my front shock tower and printed a custom lower profile rear one to give more clearance.

The carbon towers you have look as/or taller than the original ones so i dont think the shell will get down far enough to hook in in the rear and for the front post to reach the hole in the hood.

Extending the front body post to reach should be piece of cake, getting a good firm rear mount might be harder but i saw someone bending an rod and attaching it to the rear tower to mimic the SRB roll bar for the rear to clip onto, that might be worth looking at.

Obviously this is a DT02 but the same kind of rear "rollbar" can be applied to a TT02B.

What the heck is this right?  I will post again if things go according to plan.. :ph34r:

IMG_2022-4-4-121619.jpg.7db92923a875a172a969ad4029fb9447.jpg

BTW, my wife gave me an “A” for the SandViper.  :lol:    But she said the driver looks all wrong.  Really?  Dang it.. I thought Douglass looked pretty good.. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As of this evening, my M-05 also sports Fibre Lyte carbon plates for its battery quick release. 

2022-04-04_09-14-04

While fitting them, I noticed a cracked front upright that I must have missed during the last post-run inspection. Fortunately I have spares, so I'll be replacing that shortly. 

• Like 2

9 month build, wife did most of it to be honest..

ycoYIji.jpeg

Probably needs new bearings and oil as seems to be quite noisy.

• Like 11
  • Haha 7

10 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

ycoYIji.jpeg

Congratulations! Looks like it is race-ready out of the box, no upgrades required. 👍

• Haha 2

I wasnt going to buy more RC stuff until next month but i got notified that my tax return will be arriving within a few days and that its about 1500 bucks so i guess ive now got a dt02 Nissan Titan+some assorted bitz incoming :P

• Like 3

You can really see the level of precision with my wobbly lines.  :lol: .. :ph34r:

IMG_2022-4-4-172557.jpg.b8926af2db3647279cfb9be0ecfa2974.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ziddan said:

I wasnt going to buy more RC stuff until next month but i got notified that my tax return will be arriving within a few days and that its about 1500 bucks so i guess ive now got a dt02 Nissan Titan+some assorted bitz incoming :P

Nice~!!!  :D 

In my case I usually have to pay a little bit..  usually around break even but never know.   

1 hour ago, Nikko85 said:

ycoYIji.jpeg

Congrats!!!  Very cute.  :D   

2 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

ycoYIji.jpeg

Congratulations 🎉🎈🎊 

Better photos in daylight.  9B8153CA-9D61-4B58-B0CF-FBC0941696D3.jpeg.45970bd27070b48647fb94b8b57ff707.jpegWill add a TT-02 dust cover as you can see daylight between the chassis and the body. Took this from the Safari Porsche as a test. 4720C632-F8C7-4529-978B-989BA029F528.jpeg.2fbdecf4dc05af28559842232dad23fc.jpeg
Tested my completed Monster Beetle body on the chassis1FEEA834-7FD2-4D9C-A7D3-C312724C0A42.jpeg.05707fc7d74789f4f3f3ddafb9f226b1.jpeg

Need to figure out a bumper solution to protect the hard shell.  This will be a runner.1207C02C-B1BE-4A45-BE3D-B4E899EE9C62.jpeg.a26cf334400cc771257eff7030def76d.jpegF3729379-0A77-4F75-81BD-5289D484123D.jpeg.84162c276cb54532cce95fd2ad1e5a61.jpeg25577160-63D2-482E-8333-09A510555CED.jpeg.7e7bb1fc24bd236e3730975a86800ab7.jpeg

• Like 8

Proper garage needs a proper fire trash can. :D 

IMG_2022-4-4-210745.jpg.41f3ca91e69170fef8a0ac97c9b02176.jpg

IMG_2022-4-4-210802.jpg.61968b6c10ebfee67a0fe6b69e9b2605.jpg

Mine is a comical version of this..

IMG_2022-4-4-232756.png.c4c414e458c12c0ae523c60597636220.png

I hope to paint it bright red later in the week.. B)

• Like 8