Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Ziddan said:

Throttle pinned quite a bit, was lucky to find the pin, followed the tracks backwards from where the car stopped :)

The Sand Hopper so much better with individual rear swing arm suspension, it looks quite similar to the ORV chassis, the whole rear end would lift/bounce when driving crossing its own tracks, now its just the wheels moving up and down.

All the weight of the motor is now sprung, rather than unsprung as with the stock rear end.

Car sounds like fun!  Good job finding that tiny pin in the vastness of dirt!  

Reseated the rear cage on the SS as it wasn’t sitting quite right and checked the chassis was set centrally to the gearbox and then packed it all away for another day.

Put my Blazing Blazer and my Super Champ in the loft out of the way for now, as I wanted to tidy up the spare bedroom a bit. 

• Like 1

Continued on with the Javelin build..  :D   I have to say the black on black parts are VERY DIFFICULT to see for my aging eyes.. and the top deck being FRP is a bummer.. Kyosho should just raise the price $50 and include a proper CF upper deck..    The car itself is quality and not much play or wobble which is good.  B)

However, Is there a trick to making the Javelin oil dampers not leak?  I need to figure this out, otherwise I can't use these dampers as it just keeps leaking out oil..  the outer gasket is like near useless.  @moffman any tips you can suggest me try?  TIA 

I should've ordered more HiCaps .. :blink:

IMG_2022-5-1-185202.jpg.2fa86b707eff37172224851b89c7dbf4.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

Ordered a tamiya mf01x beetle, servo, tt02 shocks, steel pinion, bearings and jconcepts firestorm tires for my clod/ regulator chassis.

Nice 👏

My SRB project is on hold for now whilst I source some parts and I’m not ready to take on the painting of parts yet, so  I thought why not strip down the used WO and then rebuild it clean and shiny. 

Then I thought that is just making work for yourself 🤦, 2 projects and nothing to run...so now I’m charging up 4 batteries whilst I go and cut the grass, figuring run it until it breaks, or the SRB is finished or until Summer is over 💥

There must be some # Hastag nonsense in there 😂

I’ve even got a brand new BMX ramp in the shed that was bought in 2020 and has not been used 😉

9-C9-C53-A1-A0-E0-4-AB1-95-AB-3-FF11-B37

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Continued on with the Javelin build..  :D   I have to say the black on black parts are VERY DIFFICULT to see for my aging eyes.. and the top deck being FRP is a bummer.. Kyosho should just raise the price $50 and include a proper CF upper deck..    The car itself is quality and not much play or wobble which is good.  B)

However, Is there a trick to making the Javelin oil dampers not leak?  I need to figure this out, otherwise I can't use these dampers as it just keeps leaking out oil..  the outer gasket is like near useless.  @moffman any tips you can suggest me try?  TIA 

You have to make sure the opaque outer gaskets are completely flat and none of the gasket is touching the thread  because it nips it then when it's under compression it leaks! The shocks are brilliant just as smooth as the hi-caps so I definitely wouldn't swap them for hi-caps don't waste your money the only one I would swap them for and its purley cosmetic is the gold turbo optima shocks! Its looking really good:wub: we need to see the finished buggy!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Got this revive rc undertray a while ago but just got around to putting it on!  fits perfectly no need to put any velcro in the recesses the screws do the job perfectly but the spray film took me ages to remove I had to apply heat to get it off!

20220502_104210.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, moffman said:

You have to make sure the opaque outer gaskets are completely flat and none of the gasket is touching the thread  because it nips it then when it's under compression it leaks! The shocks are brilliant just as smooth as the hi-caps so I definitely wouldn't swap them for hi-caps don't waste your money the only one I would swap them for and its purley cosmetic is the gold turbo optima shocks! Its looking really good:wub: we need to see the finished buggy!! 

I need to remind this when I start building my Ultima 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, moffman said:

Got this revive rc undertray a while ago but just got around to putting it on!  fits perfectly no need to put any velcro in the recesses the screws do the job perfectly but the spray film took me ages to remove I had to apply heat to get it off!

20220502_104210.jpg

Good to know it's such a good fit, I have the same undertray waiting for my turbo Optima build.

1 hour ago, moffman said:

Thanks moffman!   Is there a trick to getting the gasket on without deforming them?  I ask because I had to pull pretty hard over the threads to get them to sit in the slot where there is no thread.  I am assuming I am damaging them by dragging the gasket over the threads causing the leak(?)

Learnt a lot today with a few battery packs in the garden with my WO.

1st in spite of rusty 540 and caked on mud and sand it is set up nicely and runs well, other than the dirt there are almost no signs of it being run before hand. 

The front washes out if there’s too much throttle when turning and it does jump but lands on its nose every time.

The BMX r/c ramp and roof lights are not a great combo 🤦

My battery stash is poor and the 2 x 4300 Nimhs are useless, however I bought them 8-10 years ago.

I did buy 2  lipos a couple of years ago so it will be time to switch over soon.

The silver can is fast enough around our garden, the last time I tried a WO was 2013 or ‘14 with the same set up, but in a bigger area and I was deeply disappointed in the lack of speed.

So either I’m getting slower, my memory is playing tricks with me or at the time I was using much faster models.

1st time driving any r/c since August 2020 with my Konghead 😊

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks moffman!   Is there a trick to getting the gasket on without deforming them?  I ask because I had to pull pretty hard over the threads to get them to sit in the slot where there is no thread.  I am assuming I am damaging them by dragging the gasket over the threads causing the leak(?)

If you look closely they have a tiny step in them just marry them up to the step on the shock cylinder (gap between the threads) and make sure they are flat then you'll have no problem with leaks!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

Good to know it's such a good fit, I have the same undertray waiting for my turbo Optima build.

Just have the patience for the over spray film!

• Haha 1

@Grumpy pants sounds like fun!   I am definitely getting slower on my reaction time mainly because of the uneagerness to go fast as it just tires me out.  :lol:  I like to use that precision when I play my musical instruments instead.

For me I ordered more HiCaps since I have a decent sized order going to Asia today, but in the mean time I assembled the Javelin's dampers with oil.  I may have damaged the gasket on the leaking one when I was putting it into position.  Luckily the kit came with 2 spare gaskets so used those and so far they aren't leaking.   However I do plan on swapping them out when the HiCaps come in.. or just abandon the car as shelf queen all together.   Not sure, I am just not feeling it with this car honestly.   I think the biggest set back is the FRP upper deck and areas where they just went cheap on hardware.. they should just bump up the price and give us a pro-edition with everything included.  like a version for ossan (adult guys).

So far today..  :D 

IMG_2022-5-2-085247.jpg.fadcb9140b2297a406a9954ede96b19c.jpg

• Like 4

Back to my favourite playground for a couple days, last time I drove the cars here about a month ago it was still covered in snow. This time I've enjoyed the lack of it, along with some spring heat finally

20220502-112933.jpg

Screenshot-20220501-225516-Video-Player.

More action shots will be in the RC gallery thread

• Like 10

So this is the first time in my life I had to intentionally mount the receiver diagonally to make things fit.  :lol:  

I’m telling you man.. Kyosho’s playing with an old guys head and they’re probably cracking up somewhere.. :blink: :lol:

At least it fits.. ?  

IMG_2022-5-2-114320.jpg.30ffc81d1e9dffa1e33fd6d4677ae851.jpg

The torso piece (cover) goes on diagonally and then I turn it as I slide it backwards into its slots.   

IMG_2022-5-2-114300.jpg.374e4083ea7e3c65b897c6f773ad5951.jpg

Electronics is 1060, 1252MG, SportTuned motor, and SR215.. and will run NiMH for now.  I may swap the motor to SuperStockBZ later on.. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

So this is the first time in my life I had to intentionally mount the receiver diagonally to make things fit.  :lol:  

I’m telling you man.. Kyosho’s playing with an old guys head and they’re probably cracking up somewhere.. :blink: :lol:

At least it fits.. ?  

IMG_2022-5-2-114320.jpg.30ffc81d1e9dffa1e33fd6d4677ae851.jpg

The torso piece (cover) goes on diagonally and then I turn it as I slide it backwards into its slots.   

IMG_2022-5-2-114300.jpg.374e4083ea7e3c65b897c6f773ad5951.jpg

Electronics is 1060, 1252MG, SportTuned motor, and SR215.. and will run NiMH for now.  I may swap the motor to SuperStockBZ later on.. 

Use the tamiya driver figure if you have one knocking around? the kyosho driver is rather rotund (need to lay off the pies) you will have more space to put electric stuff and I just make the original holes bigger! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, moffman said:

Use the tamiya driver figure if you have one knocking around? the kyosho driver is rather rotund (need to lay off the pies) you will have more space to put electric stuff and I just make the original holes bigger! 

:lol:

Well, I wanted to build the kit as is for the time being.. HOWEVER, Kyosho appears to have given me the screw bag set for the Optima instead as I am missing all the M2.6x8 screws to assemble the roll cage.. and missing the nylon wheel nuts.  

I've pretty much had it with this kit.. borderline hate this car now.  :angry: 

Only reason why I'm going to finish it is because my wife bought it for me.  I'm going to see if any of my TOP screws are compatible.. it's got a small hex head so I don't have those in my regular screws bin.. 

Cant wait to start my Super Astute build later this month.  :D   with optional CF deck of course.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

15 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Well, I wanted to build the kit as is for the time being.. HOWEVER, Kyosho appears to have given me the screw bag set for the Optima instead as I am missing all the M2.6x8 screws to assemble the roll cage.. and missing the nylon wheel nuts.  

Only reason why I'm going to finish it is because my wife bought it for me.  I'm going to see if any of my TOP screws are compatible.. it's got a small hex head so I don't have those in my regular screws bin.. 

Cant wait to start my Super Astute build later this month.  :D   with optional CF deck of course.  

I heard (in the turbo Optima build tread I think) that the Kyosho customer service is impeccable.  If you contact them about the screws chances are big they send you the correct screw bag.

• Thanks 1

So today I recieved my Le Mans 240S Motor…

and my ESC…

the other parts are waiting too…  (not as bad as I am…I guess) for the Optima Mid to arrive… 

@Willy iine lets see if I‘ll have to mount things diagonal too 🙈

9CCB2FB5-E806-4740-B826-F3F6546A7D92.jpeg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Willy iine said:

the gasket is difficult to put in place for the first car. Once you done more than one, you know how to do the trick. Align the recess with the part where there is the filet, and put alternatively on each side of the gasket to get it thru until it is seated. You may put a bit of shock oil on it before, but it's not absolutely necessary. No trace of leaks on my Turbo Scorpion, my Javelin and my Turbo Optima... If it does leak, the gasket is not seated properly. And there is one or two additional gasket within the spare parts bag, in case you need one (I saw many complaints of broken gasket on forums due to user mistakes)

52 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

That's quite sad your not getting on with the kit:( and its very very unusual that things are missing in it! I love building a kyosho kit other than the mess ups that I inflict on a kyosho kit when I build it:wacko: I've had absolutely no issues with them? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

I heard (in the turbo Optima build tread I think) that the Kyosho customer service is impeccable.  If you contact them about the screws chances are big they send you the correct screw bag.

Thanks.   I checked McMasterCarr and they don’t have the OD 4mm M2.6 socket screws (neither do I, it’s an odd size) so decided to place a bunch of Kyosho screw orders as they only come in a 5 pack.  There are other screws missing too but those I can cover from my screws bin.

I am glad I decided to build it and not sell it years later to some kid.. he would definitely be heartbroken.  For me, it’s just a matter of dealing with the hassle.  :angry:

I’m going to test drive it later since it passed bench test and will finish it whenever the screws arrive.  It’s okay, the car just reinforced me that I’m a Tamiya guy.  

2 hours ago, silvertriple said:

the gasket is difficult to put in place for the first car. Once you done more than one, you know how to do the trick. Align the recess with the part where there is the filet, and put alternatively on each side of the gasket to get it thru until it is seated. You may put a bit of shock oil on it before, but it's not absolutely necessary. No trace of leaks on my Turbo Scorpion, my Javelin and my Turbo Optima... If it does leak, the gasket is not seated properly. And there is one or two additional gasket within the spare parts bag, in case you need one (I saw many complaints of broken gasket on forums due to user mistakes)

Yes definitely a user mistake on my part.  Thanks for reminding me I am so dumb.  My pops will absolutely agree with you.  :D