Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I got the missing screws I bought from various stores today and finished the Javelin. 

I installed a battery for photo shoot and  it is horribly clumsy to install/swap batteries with the cage on.  And once I clicked the cage’s side pieces onto the chassis, the cage does not want to come off even with pretty significant force.   I seriously had it with this car, no more Kyosho’s for me. 

Proper send off by Billy. :lol:  

IMG_2022-5-7-133451.jpg.44c6f060a57c53e14a4746e8dfff1a31.jpg

Been reading through your issues with the build Willy and bummed to hear it!  I’ve built a couple of the Kyosho re-res and have been really impressed with the execution.  Haven’t started my Javelin though, so maybe I’ll just continue to admire the box art!

2 hours ago, tamiya3speed said:

Been reading through your issues with the build Willy and bummed to hear it!  I’ve built a couple of the Kyosho re-res and have been really impressed with the execution.  Haven’t started my Javelin though, so maybe I’ll just continue to admire the box art!

Yeah, it’s probably just bad luck and me not having chemistry with their cars.  

I showed my wife I finished the car and thanked her for getting it for me. :D  She said it looks cool and I agree. 

SportTuned motor is too slow for it as the handling is quite good.  

I don’t mean to insult anyone, just playfully playing out my frustration.  If I can go back in time, I would’ve gotten the Optima instead.  

Update.. made a simple stand for the Javelin to keep the weight off the tires.  I also touched up on the side wall lettering where needed.  The spikes are wearing out quite fast.. 

IMG_2022-5-7-170350.jpg.0e795043fe4399a5d18f98235d8a5774.jpg

• Like 3

Well I've got FWD but no reverse on the Golf.   A clean head and another go at the ESC was needed.  Figuring out the trims on this new TX will not be fun.  Figuring out why I have no turning radius is also on tap. I do like how small all of the gear is.

My custom pack from MAXAMPs will hopefully be here this week.  Body has been shipped over to MR in Iowa.  Not the friendliest dood but his work is good.

Loving the sound of this car's gears and throttle reminds me of my Associated 12i I had back in the day.  This thing is going to handle like a dream I can tell already with the stiff chassis.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aerobert said:

Converted my WR-01 Monster Truck to a WR-01 Stadium Truck. Lowered the shell, changed the dampers and put the Blitzer Beetle tires on the MT wheels. The front tires are a bit streched and therefore looks like a tuning car.

I like the result, but I love stadium trucks anyway.

IMG20220507171748_compress65.thumb.jpg.8a02c546b3b60b76e5e89d59bc60a8ac.jpg

Hi @Aerobert I used the rear wider blitzer tire for the front wheels to avoid the stretched look. This may be another option for you.  On the blitzer cars the front wheel rim is actually narrower than the rear and hence the narrower tire

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Proper send off by Billy. :lol:  

IMG_2022-5-7-133451.jpg.44c6f060a57c53e14a4746e8dfff1a31.jpg

😅 who can creat the perfect meme from this photo?!?!

• Haha 1

Fixed the steering that my kid broke on one of my Javelins last week.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mrowka said:

Fixed the steering that my kid broke on one of my Javelins last week.

Sounds good.  Have you considered installing a secondary servo saver horn?  Would it help the situation?  

16 hours ago, toyolien said:

Today I placed a pre order for one of these:

top.jpg

Nice! Show us some pictures once it arrives and start the build.

Congrats! :)

Did a bit of tinkering on the Hornet today, I needed to re-solder the motor wires but didn't have my soldering kit with me, so I had to do it with the old iron claw 😅 It will do for now.

20220501-143809.jpg

Also, I kept going with the Delta cockpit, giving some attention to the helmets this time. Still lots left to do

20220501-152819.jpg

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

Also, I kept going with the Delta cockpit, giving some attention to the helmets this time. Still lots left to do

20220501-152819.jpg

So far the easiest way I've found to mask the faces is spreading a blob of blu-tack. I think I've re-used the same blob on about a dozen helmets now :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Frankster said:

Hi @Aerobert I used the rear wider blitzer tire for the front wheels to avoid the stretched look. This may be another option for you.  On the blitzer cars the front wheel rim is actually narrower than the rear and hence the narrower tire

Thank you for the tip. I've already have some rear tires in the basket since I've saw your DT-02. I love the look of your trucks.

The complete set was just in my stock as the Blitzer is currently wearing street tires, so I've used them. Also still locking for other tire options which would give it a slightly voluminous look.

• Like 1

There are braces now holding the gearbox in vertical position relative to the rear deck/wheels, i noticed quite a bit of flex there due to the extended wheelbase/further back suspension mounts so i added another brace going from the upper mount points of the motor braces down to the lower rear end mounts, triangulating the whole area so the rear is now solid with no flex in the rear deck.

The car is now driveable with individual rear swing arm suspension and hard mounted gearbox, making all the weight of the motor+gearbox sprung weight instead of having it sitting unsprung on a solid rear axle.

IMG_20220508_095343.thumb.jpg.5e3214f86d5b649fe920720f94649185.jpg

• Like 2

yVkZLuM.jpeg

Work on the 1/14 scale Tamiya legends continues, 4x4 Clod on a GF01 with the mini King Cab for company. You can see how the mini King Cab is much smaller than it should be vs the Clod, but that's the QD buddy chassis it is on.

I'll add Clod sympathetic livery to it today, and maybe get Edgarmon driving.

• Like 1

Done a few jobs on my TRF 201, didn’t think these bits could be harmed 😂

6D05CE7F-B25C-4D2B-AC57-AB98185A1AB8.jpeg

4A06356A-F8CE-4995-9ED5-F724B6D1BB8D.jpeg

A bit of ‘playtime’ in the garden today with my WO runner. 

Decided to put 3 batteries in the recycling, as 2 are dead and the 3rd was stuttering after 5-6 minutes of run time.

Leaves me 1 Nimh @ 3300 which is good for now, I checked the fitted TBLE -02 takes LiPo which it does and in time I’ll switch over as I have 2 new LiPo batteries and alarms here already. 

Work, family, house and a trip in 2 weeks time all take priority for the next month so Tamiya time will be TC only 👍

47-A5-DDFF-9995-4-CB3-9-FF8-E0-D6-E78009

• Like 4

I was Racing by Post when I lost all drive. Given I was stood opposite I assumed the slipper had massively slipped. This is the scene I came to:

y4maSTRxorcfw0pmUcMustwjNq8GPFqFDb5Fc2D8

Yes - it ejected the gearbox drive cup that far

Note to self - don't reuse e-clips. At least 40+ year old ones that have been re-used in multiple buggies already. Or maybe check them first or something

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Steering servo upgrade for "Old Squeaky". Amazon 25kg servo and I made a longer servo horn to assist with more steering throw. Dialed it in by taking out some L/R EPA.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Well I bought a Tamiya Plasma edge 2 TT02 b, first buggy I have ever bought really excited. Was thinking of getting some aluminum shock towers cause I heard that they flex a lot. Future plans are to get used to driving it and slowly bring on hop up parts and eventually take it to a a track. I understand it is a beginner buggy but I am no where near the skill of a pro or anything but just seeing how far I can go.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, rc4ever said:

Well I bought a Tamiya Plasma edge 2 TT02 b, first buggy I have ever bought really excited. Was thinking of getting some aluminum shock towers cause I heard that they flex a lot. Future plans are to get used to driving it and slowly bring on hop up parts and eventually take it to a a track. I understand it is a beginner buggy but I am no where near the skill of a pro or anything but just seeing how far I can go.

Great starter buggy.  Must have is ball bearing and glue for the tires to the rims. 

On 5/6/2022 at 2:58 PM, Willy iine said:

Final update.. I hope I make @Badcrumble proud.  Thanks again for the suggestion!!  :D 

IMG_2022-5-6-190451.jpg.95f7192cf374988425b01ef39bb0f799.jpg

More pictures in the gallery only thread if interested.  Thanks for checking them out.  

That looks great, it really does. I know you wanted more of a dome on the top but it looks dead on to me. Lovely paint finish too, as always. Glad my suggestions have given you some fun projects!

Edit: managed to run the FTX Outlaw in the garden this afternoon but didn't have enough batteries charged to sustain the kid's attention. The Outlaw eats batteries, a good candidate for going LiPo but that means I need to learn how to switch it over on the ESC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

That looks great, it really does. I know you wanted more of a dome on the top but it looks dead on to me. Lovely paint finish too, as always. Glad my suggestions have given you some fun projects!

Edit: managed to run the FTX Outlaw in the garden this afternoon but didn't have enough batteries charged to sustain the kid's attention. The Outlaw eats batteries, a good candidate for going LiPo but that means I need to learn how to switch it over on the ESC.

Thanks,  Badcrumble!   :D    A real fire extinguisher has more of a flat-dome shape where as mine is more a round dome shape so it doesn't follow the contour 100%, but since this is a comically distorted version I kind of forced it to work by mounting a huge squeeze handle.  :D 

As for your LiPo, unless you are using different voltage settings or something where you need to switch the input power, I would just use the ESC in NiMH mode and run a battery alarm when running LiPo so that you can run both chemistries.  I usually set it to go off around 3.8v so that it's also a good storage voltage (3.75 - 3.85v per cell).

IMG_Aug202021at71227AM.jpg.0ef40b7c87a063464bc4f724c6ff6172.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1