Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Willy iine said:

:o Is that right.  In this case I suppose I will use the HB tires off my DT02...    I am just a super-newb with buggies as you all can tell.  :wacko:

Thanks for the info!! :lol:  

Soft groove front tyres fit onto 2WD star dish wheels pretty well IMO...  See below !  Pretty sure mine have had foam inserts when using them.

Edit#   Just reloaded and saw your result @Willy iine

IMG_2340.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've been sitting on this Egress for over a year now (and a re-re Avante). I finally figured it was time to build it - I got a Tamiya motor, vintage Tamiya ESC, all ready to put a show car together. But NOTHING prepared me for how eccentric the design of this car is. Diffs? Weird. Suspension? Weird. Everything is unusual about this car.

It's almost a glimpse into what happens when a company gets hung up on a specific design style (swing arm suspension) and can't let it go.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the car - but sheesh...what an odd duck. I'm sure the Avante will be no better. lol

Resized_20220515_184848_5872.jpeg

Resized_20220514_191433_3910.jpeg

Resized_20220515_090004_6178.jpeg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Thommo said:

Soft groove front tyres fit onto 2WD star dish wheels pretty well IMO...  See below !  Pretty sure mine have had foam inserts when using them.

IMG_2340.jpg

You have two of these beauties?!   Dang.. I'm telling you, I seriously missed the boat the last decade on so many cool RC cars.  :lol:  I totally blame myself.   However very thankful for you and others to share the many experiments and experiences with me so that I don't stray off too far.  

Thanks for the confirmation and pictures!   Very nice.  :D  

So today I'm going to work on cutting the SuperAstute body and tray.. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thommo said:

IMG_2340.jpg

Nice one @Thommo, I'm guessing the soft grooves fit onto the smaller width 19mm star-dish, and just hang over the edges of the rim a little more than the slimmer fit standard tyres. As long as they are nice and snug and don't come off the rim under heavy load cornering or particularly rough surfaces (assume they don't as you haven't mentioned any downsides) then I imagine the small overhang might actually protect the rim more than standard:)

• Like 1

@Unknown Driver Nice!   Egress and Avante are very cool to own for sure.  I enjoy admiring them in my RC shop all the time.   It's great to have pieces if Tamiya's history .. this is why I have been fixated on their older buggies the last several months.  

I'm old school and slow these days so I don't care so much about top speed and top of the line performance.. I'm more into the unique coolness factor and presentation.  SRB, Egress, Avante, HotShot, Evo, SuperAstute, (Javelin), etc all have that.   :D 

12 hours ago, V8 Rumble said:

Still have many decals to put on and securing the body parts.  I've been doing touring car bodies lately and almost forgot how time consuming these tamiya bodies are 😆 

I love the detail. Sometimes I love the build more. 

20220515_214210.jpg

Looking good. I like the alternative colour scheme to box art, wish I had been that brave :) 

Its been a while since I have done a bodyshell and did make a couple of silly mistakes, putting the black on last and darkening the red :( . What a lot of decals though! Just need to build the chassis now. 

u7Lor3V.jpgAD83k6v.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

@Unknown Driver Nice!   Egress and Avante are very cool to own for sure.  I enjoy admiring them in my RC shop all the time.   It's great to have pieces if Tamiya's history .. this is why I have been fixated on their older buggies the last several months.  

I'm old school and slow these days so I don't care so much about top speed and top of the line performance.. I'm more into the unique coolness factor and presentation.  SRB, Egress, Avante, HotShot, Evo, SuperAstute, (Javelin), etc all have that.   :D 

I totally understand that. Right now I have 1 foot firmly in each camp. I race carpet offroad in the winter (B6.3 and T6.2) so I've spent a lot of time studying chassis setup, etc. But at the same time, I love the old stuff - and being hands-on with it helps a person appreciate where the hobby has come from.

It's like racing an F1 car on the weekends and working on Model Ts during the week. Two extremes. LOL

• Like 2

I cut and installed the tray on my SuperAstute. :D 

IMG_2022-5-16-105909.jpg.8bfac30240cbe29871d81c490591a918.jpg

IMG_2022-5-16-105917.jpg.bb32bad75aa2b38b4875bea49638d56a.jpg

IMG_2022-5-16-110403.jpg.b64b979345303ef8f48a855556134dde.jpg

Update.. Test fit reveals rear dampers rub the body.. will need to push the dampers back just a tad.  

IMG_2022-5-16-161445.jpg.026cb154e37f35261a1c4c8024e95ebf.jpg

Update.. I moved the rear dampers 2mm aft.  

Test fit also revealed that the front body post is a bit too short.. not sure if I cut the body all wrong, but made a new front body mount to accommodate a side to side clip mount.  

Also bent the larger clip the other way for the left side so that the clip itself does not eat into the body.  :D 

Now going to mask the windows using factory decals and spray it black. 

IMG_2022-5-16-165415.jpg.9de3515a1c39088e8084c4ca8bfbd0d6.jpg

IMG_2022-5-16-165432.jpg.aacbc074adadd80d088801e24c9ea4ff.jpg

Final update for today. :D  

IMG_2022-5-16-180204.jpg.9bb2812b48b3a3b37bdab1ce6a046fa0.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, JeffSpicoli said:

Pick up some styrene tubing - let's see if I can make a rollcage heh.

1rk4OOt.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/14/2022 at 10:41 PM, El Gecko said:

Wow, that is so nice!! Do you have the body too?

The body will just be a typical TBG / MCI combo.  Just a single color.  I like to keep my pickups super simple in regards to paint.

SH BUILD 20.jpg

• Like 5

Still not much time for RC in my life at the moment but have snatched a few minutes here and there to continue playing with the Radio Shack F100 on the GF-01 chassis:

GF01 track

GF01 track

I've reduced the track width by fitting new shorter arms. It takes just 10mm off on each side but really makes a difference as I think the standard GF01 is too wide for this body. 

• Like 5

Having created a narrower GF01 for my Military Truck I've also gone the other way with my last GF01 chassis and widened the track width to accomodate a Tandy van shell I picked-up. It's my take on the Kyosho Mad Van! I can't quite decide if I like it or not. Thoughts?...

Wide van

Wide van

• Like 3

@Willy iine and @Kol__ if you can't find the .5 mod pinions its easy to swap the Super Astute spur and pinion to 48p. You just need the Associated B4 (or TRF201) spur and slipper pads . I can find part numbers if you're interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I did in the last four days...

I was commissioned by my friend to build this CC-01 and copy his 1:1 FJ Cruiser the best I could.

YvY7pWih.jpg

HMuJ2dbh.jpg

SFoUOjfh.jpg

m7b1015h.jpg

More of the build here:

• Like 6

4 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Having created a narrower GF01 for my Military Truck I've also gone the other way with my last GF01 chassis and widened the track width to accomodate a Tandy van shell I picked-up. It's my take on the Kyosho Mad Van! I can't quite decide if I like it or not. Thoughts?...

Wide van

Wide van

What's not to like mate? It looks badass! Gasmonkey garage badassB)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Lol, thanks! I’m not sure what Gasmonkey Garage is but I can see some photoshop action and vinyl print incoming ;) 

Kind of like this?   I’m trying to fit an Avante driver and cockpit into my SuperAstute..  (the outer body protective liner is still on the body, it will be gloss black at the end).. 

IMG_2022-5-17-075646.jpg.c0e81329eb38a5bb8aeda562e4174908.jpg

IMG_2022-5-17-080506.jpg.9d545bcd35acc137215f925a7d1e0185.jpg

I think I got him to fit.  :D  Will paint later tonight.  

IMG_2022-5-17-080800.jpg.366027a504264e82e0bef13ddaee9b87.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

What I did in the last four days...

I was commissioned by my friend to build this CC-01 and copy his 1:1 FJ Cruiser the best I could.

YvY7pWih.jpg

HMuJ2dbh.jpg

SFoUOjfh.jpg

m7b1015h.jpg

More of the build here:

Tell your friend his 1:1 car is missing a large bull bar… and needs to convert ICE to fully electric 😅

• Haha 3

Today I changed the servo on my other stadium truck and shopped around online. Saw a used DN-01 but could not get past the body.  Also saw another Mini Cooper classic but it was on a M-01 chassis….  

Need to stop window shopping and finish my builds

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Nice job @Nicadraus !!   I could not tell for a moment which was RC and which was real.   :D 

Plus one on this, I had to double take until I saw the body posts!:D Top work @NicadrausB)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kol__ said:

The main dude on that show (bit of a nobber, but in sort of a lovable way) is obsessed with bright green and will get it on any car he can! He would be loving your green machine!B)

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

my SuperAstute..  (the outer body protective liner is still on the body, it will be gloss black at the end).. 

IMG_2022-5-17-075646.jpg.c0e81329eb38a5bb8aeda562e4174908.jpg

Awesome Willy, I was hoping you wouldn't go box art!!!B)

• Like 2