Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mad van does look fantastic. I'm looking forward to @GeeWings's version! 

I do really like some of the Kyosho stuff, to me it's about the only other brand that appeals. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

Mad van does look fantastic. I'm looking forward to @GeeWings's version! 

I do really like some of the Kyosho stuff, to me it's about the only other brand that appeals. 

I’m trying to get on with it but back to searching for scraps of time this week!

You're right though, there is some lovely Kyosho kit. The mad van, big brute, double dare and Optima are all on a ‘one day’ list..,

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

I’m trying to get on with it but back to searching for scraps of time this week!

You're right though, there is some lovely Kyosho kit. The mad van, big brute, double dare and Optima are all on a ‘one day’ list..,

That would pretty much be my list too, still I've got enough Tamiya (and RC cars) for a lifetime. 

Sanded and painted the Avante driver this morning.  Basically going for the same style except very minimal decals this time on the SuperAstute.  It’s going to be very stealthy like my SandViper. :D 

IMG_2022-5-24-085937.jpg.36bf89338d9a7b1f2f86e86687f10b93.jpg

Update.. Finished the driver.. pretty subtle design with minor variation from last time.  Again used some 3M 2080 for the visor.  B)

IMG_2022-5-24-144333.jpg.d3ec61c4a6d4508b1283958f1574cd4f.jpg

• Like 6

It works!

On to design an actual box for the gears :)

Initially im going to let it be long, gears and motor in line, as that will put the weight of the motor near the center of the chassi, also it will have no diff, at least to begin with.

Ill be going for making ORVish swing arms for the rear suspension for it as i really like how that works on the custom gearboxes ive printed/modded for my sand hopper and bugbox chassis, one part rather than at least three if doing lower/upper/hub carrier so comparatively simple.

S98J2h6.jpg

Later on i may go back to completely redesign this, putting in a diff, making the spur gear have a long axle on it so that the motor can sit centered relative to the diff and maybe on top of the spur to make the whole gearbox taller but shorter but for now ill be happy to just get this working :)

• Like 5

Got the first coat of primer on this year's teapot racer. 

2022-05-24_07-10-32

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Three hours and almost an entire roll of masking tape just to paint the grill and diffusers black :blink:

Masking is definitely my least favourite part of the hobby...that thin strip between the grill and front diffuser is an absolute pig 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

43 minutes ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

Ordered a hotshot and it should be here by thursday!

Awesome!  What color would you paint yours?

IMG_2022-3-9-110838.jpg.1c8fa526341445966c669249930d2c6a.jpg 

Not sure if you care, but paining the back half of the lamps TS semi-gloss black made it look so good.  Front half is matte white on mine.  

GL with your build!!

• Like 2

@Juhunio Wow!  Did you consider just brush painting the grill, lower front bumper, and rear valance?  Is it a special color you are using?  GL with the painting!  

15 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@Juhunio Wow!  Did you consider just brush painting the grill, lower front bumper, and rear valance?  Is it a special color you are using?  GL with the painting!  

I’ve tried brush painting polycarbonate spray paint a couple of times and it never works, so painstaking masking it is 🤨

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

I’ve tried brush painting polycarbonate spray paint a couple of times and it never works, so painstaking masking it is 🤨

Oh I see.. hummmm.. I wonder why it did not work.   Maybe bristles too stiff?  

15 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

For something like that I usually just paint the whole body then paint some black polycarbonate on the outside for the details for a matte look. But then I do use the polycarbonate brush on black PC1 from Tamiya.

James 

11 minutes ago, InsaneJim69 said:

For something like that I usually just paint the whole body then paint some black polycarbonate on the outside for the details for a matte look. But then I do use the polycarbonate brush on black PC1 from Tamiya.

James 

I’m pretty sure those brush on PC paints have been discontinued haven’t they? Shame, they would be super handy 

1 minute ago, Juhunio said:

I’m pretty sure those brush on PC paints have been discontinued haven’t they? Shame, they would be super handy 

Is that right.. :wacko:  I use my super soft bristle brush for polycarbonate paints, both acrylic and oil based.  But I mean you know what you're doing so never mind!  :lol:

8 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

But I mean you know what you're doing so never mind!

Debatable 😂

• Haha 3

Just gotta add some mounting points and the gearbox is ready to print:

ad6thKp.png

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Yes they have, but I still have my 2 pots for small details. They last ages 👍 

James 

• Sad 1

Strippin' paint, strippin' paint...

Having fun, I sure ain't...

:blink:

20220522_125656-01.jpeg

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Strippin' paint, strippin' paint...

Having fun, I sure ain't...

:blink:

20220522_125656-01.jpeg

Looks like a long night ahead!!  ;)   I don’t know, but that looks like a wicked cool design right there.   Maybe just install super clean grill and lamps and might look good (?).  Like a hydro-dipped wrap design.   :D 

• Like 1

Finished cutting and shaping the gearbox cover and under tray.  :D   Cutting this tray cleanly is a project all on its own.  :lol:

IMG_2022-5-24-175258.jpg.9a21d7ad35c88006394e6efd7c53494c.jpg

Tomorrow I shall begin cutting the body.. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

I am thinking maybe yellow but the red looks so good.

Thanks.  Yeah, yellow sounds good.  My original HotShot I had back in the 80's was black.  Black with the gold wheels looked real cool too.   

I think it's the gold wheels that sets this car apart.. not sure.   My re-re came with white wheels which was okay, but for red, the gold wheels makes it look so much more special. :D 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Willy iine said:

IMG_2022-3-9-110838.jpg.1c8fa526341445966c669249930d2c6a.jpg 

Very nice indeed, a Hot Shot is at the top end of the wish list now 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Something you could do when your only painting a small part of a body @Juhunio, is cover large areas with paper. I’ve also wrapped a rag around the body under the paper at times too. Saves a heap of masking tape.

96244873-C3EB-41A5-BA4E-0934F3C9DE68.md.

• Like 7