Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The wife was away, so I had quality-time building the M-05 chassis and enjoying Mack Isbjørn hop up beer. I could only finish one corner, because I am waiting for more suspension shafts from Tamico. 

DSC_0938.JPG

• Like 6

I present Vanessas Leftovers :)

i had the Lunchbox body left over since i used the chassi for my BugBox project , i also had pogos and the motor left over from my Grasshopper.
From my drone flying days i still have 2 3s 1000mah batteries that iv havnt been running in my tamiyas as they are 3s and comparably low capacity.

Figured id make the leftovers driveable by making a chassi for it, from my earlier posts you might have seen me building it up in blender, the parts i didnt make from scratch are as follows:

A printable version of the blackfoot spur gear, i modified two of those to fit my purposes, one had 3mm bearing slots added and the other got drive cups so this build has a no diff, both had their thicknesses increased.
The lower arms from a printable lunch box front wishbone conversion, resized these to fit.
A servo horn designed to fit the mg90s servo i had left over from a tricopter build.
The rims, i took an design that i found for my bugbox and combined it with lego rims front printablebricks.

IMG_20220529_074324.thumb.jpg.7ceda315deccf37f0eea0a578feb6407.jpg

Here is the chassi:

image.png.9db6da9f2751f5b68924443f7b8309b6.png

So this is a relatively simple tub type chassi with bracing going from the front to the back to make it rigid for what it is.

The rear has different mounting points for the shocks to change the angle/ride height, height can also be adjusted with different shock ends, the suspension is individual swing arms, similar to the ORV chassi.
The front has dual wishbone suspension based on the lunchbox design, height can be changed via the shock ends.
All screws are m3s and either thread into the plastic or have lock/nuts where needed.
The tires are lego, the rears rims have a slot that fits over the pin in a regular tt02 rear axle, the fronts are like regular 2wd buggy but differently sized.
It is fully ball raced with 1150s for the rear stubs and something like "830"s (in tamiyaspeak) for the front, bearings in the rim, the spur gear sits on more 830 bearings and the output gear sits in pair of "1812"s.

The front of the tub is separate from the rear so changing the length would be as trivial as making a longer part for it.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Tumbi I like your Beetle!  The darker spot could be from not enough mixing of the paint prior to painting, or if this was a spray, you may have sprayed closer than before?  Does it look glossier? 

For me the test drive and setup for the SuperAstute #2 went well.  I need to use a smaller pinion though.. motor (BZ) is getting a bit too hot with a 24T pinion running 78T spur. 

Will clean up the tires and take some snaps for the gallery only thread.  :D 

IMG_2022-5-28-175840.jpg.7a15ffd49e9e1fecc33ac718c2a87f48.jpg

Wow…look at those beauties 🤩 wow….another stunning built!

@Willy iine thank you! Apreciated

no…I just sprayed with a clear coat…after some little punctual paint brushes (but actually not where those dark clouds came) 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Willy iine said:

That sucks, man.  I've had stores like this that just send refund with no explanation.. and I ask the store and they say 'oh it's not in stock, you're fine, you got a refund.'

I'm fine?  Really, dang I did not know he knows how I felt thousands of miles away.  :blink:   But then all through my life people (especially racists) decided for me how I felt on my behalf so I guess that is fine.  :lol:  Hope you get your Benz from another store soon!!

For me, I tried the new pinion I ordered through eBay and it does not fit the shaft.  Nice.   What crappy manufacturing tolerance they have.  They what, expect me to hammer in their pinion onto my BZ?   LOL   Going to do the AE spur on my SuperAstute #1 as well even though I have a spare Tamiya spare spur and pinion off SuperAstute #2.

Also painted the white SuperAstute wheels black...will mount the tires and paint the letters this afternoon.  :D  Besides this, I had a nice morning driving my 1:1 GR Supra for a nice weekend drive and having a nice chat with my wife while painting/drying the TS paint.

Oh man I thought I'd try my first on road car and I quite like the look of that Mercedes Benz c11 and I could try to order from them as I've never ordered from fusion before? But I suppose it's not fusions fault they obviously and rightly so look after their regular customers 100% get that! But they do need to do some sort of stock control so it doesn't waste everyone's time I could have bought it from a load of other places and I had notification that I was getting one and then a few days later get a refund by then it's to late everywhere:(

That's the advantage of having white wheels? They can be painted any colour! Did you think of dying them (don't know if you can even get black dye?) 

19 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

Woah! Those look spectacular, as per usual with your builds, Moffman! I backed with bright silver, the next time around I might try to back with black. Though I'd be hard pressed to say whether mine is more gold or copper based on your copper-buggies. On the other hand, backing with black might give it a completely different look.
I donated my Super Hotshot to a mates kids, and they love it, but seeing yours makes me wonder why I didn't give it a new shell and retire it to the shelf. Looks spectacular! 

Cheers mate that's well appreciated:) my super hotshot I got off Ebay and it was one of those purchases that on the face of it was/looked like a bargain......until It arrived:unsure: and it was a complete basket case body was painted on the outside wrong motor in it wrong metal roof (standard hotshot) rear wing split and whoever built it didn't take the parts off the sprues properly and the box had more creases in than my old wrinkled face! Oh and the front shocks were definitely different shade of yellow (older I'm thinking) So that super hotshot is probably the most expensive super hotshot in the UK!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Busdriver said:

That’s a bummer!! I know with pre orders although companies confirm your order they don’t know how many they will actually receive. Most do it on first come first served basis. It seems you were one of the unlucky ones. I would try emailing again as I know I had an issue with messages to fusion going into spam. Joanne at Fusion has always been very helpful in my experience. I’ve spent quite a lot with them because I get good service!!

Yeah like I said to @Willy iine I'm definitely not blaming fusion they obviously have regular customers who do come first I was just a bit annoyed that I got confirmation of my order was being processed then nothing until a refund that I just happened to notice by then everywhere was sold out:( but I've since decided I would go for the new kyosho fantom (the yellow one! I truly have no idea when it come to pan cars) when its released in September instead!......sorry tamiya increase your quota in future!

1 hour ago, moffman said:

Oh man I thought I'd try my first on road car and I quite like the look of that Mercedes Benz c11 and I could try to order from them as I've never ordered from fusion before? But I suppose it's not fusions fault they obviously and rightly so look after their regular customers 100% get that! But they do need to do some sort of stock control so it doesn't waste everyone's time I could have bought it from a load of other places and I had notification that I was getting one and then a few days later get a refund by then it's to late everywhere:(

That's the advantage of having white wheels? They can be painted any colour! Did you think of dying them (don't know if you can even get black dye?) 

That sounds like the seller I was introduce to for my Egress.  He said he’ll get 2 units for me, months past nothing.. then Tamiya discontinued the kit and no one I knew had it in stock any more.. he didn’t even bother  to email me back he can’t get it.. I could’ve just bought off TamiyaUSA had he had gotten back to me sooner.  :angry:

A member here came to the rescue and introduced TC to HubHobby.   I was very lucky to be able to get the Egress kits for much less than what the folks on eBay wanted.  :D 

As for the wheels, I don’t have any dye off hand and knowing I have black molded wheels coming to me anyway, I just decided to paint them.  The SandViper wheels have held up well (was yellow but painted black) so I’m assuming so will these.  :D   It’s just a little tricky mounting the tires without chipping the paint, but it’s doable. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 8:37 PM, Tumbi said:

Fun times at the Skatepark!

had one roll-over 😳 so i did some Painting-repair… and after finishing with a nice Coating, there where some darker spots on the roof - same coat as before… not too much 🤷🏼‍♂️ Same as usual! No idea how this could happen 😢 but well… its my runner…

but still… any ideas?

38F6924B-C42F-4BA9-851A-34FD4D82B15C.jpeg

Add a roof rack? To me this is the main drawback of hard bodies. I had a lovely red truck painted orange, first five mins huge rollover and now odd red bits on the roof that look really bad.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

That sounds like the seller I was introduce to for my Egress.  He said he’ll get 2 units for me, months past nothing.. then Tamiya discontinued the kit and no one I knew had it in stock any more.. he didn’t even bother  to email me back he can’t get it.. I could’ve just bought off TamiyaUSA had he had gotten back to me sooner.  :angry:

A member here came to the rescue and introduced TC to HubHobby.   I was very lucky to be able to get the Egress kits for much less than what the folks on eBay wanted.  :D 

As for the wheels, I don’t have any dye off hand and knowing I have black molded wheels coming to me anyway, I just decided to paint them.  The SandViper wheels have held up well (was yellow but painted black) so I’m assuming so will these.  :D   It’s just a little tricky mounting the tires without chipping the paint, but it’s doable. 

I sprayed a set of sand scorcher 3pc wheels a while ago with tamiya PS silver I lightly keyed them first then sprayed and the paint finish was really good and quite tough it never chipped at all!

• Like 1

Did some pinion adjustment after a motor replacement while watching the Monte Carlo GP.

1653836893272.jpg.40e2dc489a48a6230fdbd4d30613d791.jpg

Or is it the Monaco GP?

• Like 4

I think it’s the Monaco GP and it takes place in Monte Carlo which is the capital of the Principality of Monaco 🇲🇨!!!!!

• Like 1

Took Vanessas Leftovers out for a first drive, it doesnt drive well :P

The front end seems alright, the rear just goes sideways if little over walking pace.

Yes im aware that the lego tires probably arent all that good but they are hollow rubber and i used similar on one of my toy grade cars back in the 90s, worked fine there but it had quite a bit less power turning them.

With the body on its really bad, taking it off made it a bit better and putting the rear suspension into the lowest+softest position improved it, still pretty bad tho, spun out easier than my Sand Hopper with the torque tuned motor.

When trimmed the out of control turning mostly seemed to go to the right, the motor side, so i expect the weight there is part of the problem.

I think im going to redesign the gearbox to centralize the motor, lower the center of gravity and maybe add another reduction to decrease the speed a little

@Ziddan Regardless, you're off to a good start!  :D 

For me, a I tried out new 48 pitch pinions on my SuperAstute #2 and decided for my driving 21T is the right size for the AE 78T spur for my SuperStockBZ motor.  

Passed the 3 second rule running 12 min straight.   :D  I can go down to 20T pinion so quite a wide range of gear ratios I can run.   

The 81T spur I will try on SuperAstute #1 will give even more variety.  

Also made a stand for the SuperAstute.  

IMG_2022-5-29-145054.jpg.bbae8d5c84f9612118f66acfd31c39af.jpg

IMG_2022-5-29-145108.jpg.8c2d77ab5cf2b046ce88904609d1bf3d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

@Ziddan Regardless, you're off to a good start!  :D 

For me, a I tried out new 48 pitch pinions on my SuperAstute #2 and decided for my driving 21T is the right size for the AE 78T spur for my SuperStockBZ motor.  

Passed the 3 second rule running 12 min straight.   :D  I can go down to 20T pinion so quite a wide range of gear ratios I can run.   

The 81T spur I will try on SuperAstute #1 will give even more variety.  

Also made a stand for the SuperAstute.  

IMG_2022-5-29-145054.jpg.bbae8d5c84f9612118f66acfd31c39af.jpg

IMG_2022-5-29-145108.jpg.8c2d77ab5cf2b046ce88904609d1bf3d.jpg

Looking so fast…so clean…so good…so timeless! 🤤

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tumbi said:

Looking so fast…so clean…so good…so timeless! 🤤

Thanks.. btw, why the crying face?  :lol:

Btw, regarding your Beetle, since these are vintage Baja Beetles, I think road warrior scars actually give the body character.  I'd just keep touching up any blemishes and even weather it with some rust showing through.   :D  I think your Beelte looks real good even with the dark spot. 

• Thanks 1

A big Milestone crossed today...

otOjzsL.jpg

All plastic parts for both Nichimo RC Midships and Pegasus Exceed are now in CAD... I will need to find a bodyshell for the Exceed, so I can complete the virtual family pictures... Still lot of work to do with parts validations and modification of some parts to get them printable, but the hard work is done... About two weeks of work before I can call this phase fully done...

• Like 7

@Willy iine thank you! Yes… you‘re right! Some scars add caracter! Road Warrior… I like that 😉

and btw its not a crying face - its more a salivating face! Such an Amazing Car!

today I ordered another Body for my Optima Mid… I hope the Optima will arrive Monday or Thuesday… 🤞🏼🤞🏼

• Like 1

Not so much today as the last couple of days, but I got black, blue and smoke done on the AMG GT3

It's an early photo, the body still needs some sharpening up with PC cleaner and I'm hoping the stickers around the diffuser and grill are going to tidy up the slightly scruffy edges 

Plus then needs flat clear outside

spacer.png

Definitely feels like its gonna be a fiddly sticker job. So far I've just done the front and rear light inserts...14 stickers already! If I never have to do those six tiny little white-dot stickers again, it will still be way too soon :lol: So small....they stuck to everything (tweezers, scissors, thumbnail, t-shirt) except the lexan :blink:

spacer.png

• Like 11

Got a last minute idea for the main site competition yesterday. Worked all day like crazy on that idea, doing finicky stuff that would usually take me weeks to do. Fortunately no bad mistakes (rush is not your friend in these situations), and I even managed to follow through with it before the deadline. I will probably go back to it to add some more details I couldn't afford doing today, but am glad I managed to pull it off on time 😅

Feeling a bit like @Willy iine now, as for once I've done a lot of progress in a single day :lol: I usually can't keep my focus for so long.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Not so much today as the last couple of days, but I got black, blue and smoke done on the AMG GT3

It's an early photo, the body still needs some sharpening up with PC cleaner and I'm hoping the stickers around the diffuser and grill are going to tidy up the slightly scruffy edges 

Plus then needs flat clear outside

spacer.png

Definitely feels like its gonna be a fiddly sticker job. So far I've just done the front and rear light inserts...14 stickers already! If I never have to do those six tiny little white-dot stickers again, it will still be way too soon :lol: So small....they stuck to everything (tweezers, scissors, thumbnail, t-shirt) except the lexan :blink:

spacer.png

Looking good! Guess your struggels are worth it! I know those super sticky stickers :)... but in the end they are in the right place!

Love your Gulf-Porsche too! Show some Pics pleeease!

• Thanks 1

Today I noticed with a big disapointment, that my Optima MID wont arrive today... but tomorrow :) will survive those 24 Hours!

To reduce my suffering wait... I took out my cars for a short ride!

IMG_4397.thumb.jpg.b553c2b1269e53194fb36857c104804c.jpg

(the Picture isn't from today... Otherwise my Monster-Beetle would have silver lines and some more Road-Warrior Scars)

• Like 8

@Tumbi Very nice cars!!   I like all your cars, but I like your black Beetle especially.  Something about curvy black cars I like a lot.  :D 

I've not done anything RC yet today.. I was out for a nice morning drive in my Golf-R since it is a holiday in the USA.  :D  Cleaned her up after the drive. 

This afternoon I plan to install a SportsTuned motor in my DT02 and drive it on my makeshift track.    The standard silver can is too slow since I got use to my SuperAstute's running BZ motors.  :lol:

• Thanks 1

So, today I pulled my old nemesis, the box with the unfinished Cat XLS Masami out of the darkest storage hole on earth. No idea if I’ll finish this time around, or if I just get frustrated after a couple of steps and chuck it back. 

@moffman gave me a few pointers a couple of years back, so I’ve got hope. But not confidence. 

477229E2-32E9-4BF7-AD70-483FA752F595.jpeg

• Like 6

Today I wanted to put this for the 20th anniversary competition… but i was too late 🙈 thought it was 30th of may…

anyway… i like it

BBCC8712-6ACE-4DAB-BC58-C1B0C6C098DC.jpeg

• Like 7