Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not Tamiya per say, but managed to get in a bit of RC time and got some more of the wiring/electronics install completed on this monster...
XHUpM2m.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks, I managed to get it running last summer but haven't properly finished it off :ph34r:. You should get one @Willy iine , the colour would go well in your garage :D.

There may be imperfections in your creations but is hard to tell from the other end of the internet! Keep 'em coming!

• Like 1

Not Tamiya BUT I finally finished my Tekno MT410. I've been wanting to build something a little less plastic like and this isn't like anything I've built since probably a Losi kit or Associated kit. The build was glorious. Great instructions, great fit, great feel :wub:.  I'm hoping the running is great too. 

glltTlD.jpg

WakjgYv.jpg

9Pmw5rN.jpg

• Like 5

Here is the "reason" I gave my wife for getting back into RC. To wear the kids out without wearing myself out. BTW this is the first run on the field after swapping out the 17T pinion for a 14T one and the TZ seems to like it more. Still did get rather hot but not as quickly. 

The TD ran funny after the boy squash on it, the front vibrate violently up and down intermittently. Time for a rebuild I think. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Due to an incident which involved me and a stair which lead to a injured foot I had a more spare time then expected today. As gardening was no option today I've continued building the TD4 chassis. That's the progress so far:

IMG_20220729_215036_compress80.thumb.jpg.715d4bc804628d0e74fa3c53c3425f98.jpg

Looks like a car already.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Not Tamiya per say, but managed to get in a bit of RC time and got some more of the wiring/electronics install completed on this monster...
XHUpM2m.jpg

What is that? 

@Aerobert Sorry to hear about your injury.   Hope you're fixed up soon.  Car looks good.  :D 

I fell off my staircase last year ended up with a couple of deep bruises smashing head first into my wife's bookcase up side down like an idiot.  :lol:    Old age catching up to me.. stupidity was always there.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

XHUpM2m.jpg

I bet it's something really cool but; What in tarnation is that???

-RC Perspective

12 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@Aerobert Sorry to hear about your injury.   Hope you're fixed up soon.  Car looks good.  :D 

I fell off my staircase last year ended up with a couple of deep bruises smashing head first into my wife's bookcase up side down like an idiot.  :lol:    Old age catching up to me.. stupidity was always there.  

Sounds like you'll go out with a bang when the time comes :lol:

-RC Perspective

• Haha 1

The Big Bear chevrons made turns in my mind during last night. This morning I woke up with few ideas I had to explore. I went to the office, and during my day of work a few other ideas poped up.

I got back to RC stuff around 23:20, it's about midnight, and I may have a good idea on how to proceed with my tries of tonight...
ZzC09oE.jpg

I just have to refine the wave and some bits, and obviously add the other side, but I think I got the way to proceed now... Will refine this tomorrow :-)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, silvertriple said:

I may have a good idea on how to proceed with my tries of tonight...
ZzC09oE.jpg

How do you get tyres made from the 3D artwork mate? 3D printing parts in plastic I get, but are there places that will make rubber tyres from your designs?

5 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

How do you get tyres made from the 3D artwork mate? 3D printing parts in plastic I get, but are there places that will make rubber tyres from your designs?

TPU is a flexible, rubber filament that can be extruded on many 3D printers.

-RC Perspective

• Thanks 1

So a small update:

Firstly, this is the first time (at the age of 43) that I have actually gone to a council meeting. I am the kind of person that will constantly communicate with the council (or anyone else) to submit my feedback or ideas, but I've never felt the need to actually attend in person. For those of you familiar with how poorly local government is run, prepare to not be amazed.

I arrived at 5.55 (for a 6pm start), only to find out that the council had moved the location of the meeting, but not updated the website. Luckily there was a guy there (not associate with the council) who explained they'd moved the meeting to the council offices, a few minutes down the road. I got there at 6, and the place looked closed... I pressed a big red button next to the doors a few times, someone let me in and I made my way down a rabbit warren of corridors to find the meeting room. There were 2 young guys there from the company designing the skate park, and no-one else. They asked if I skated or rode BMX, I explained neither, I was here about the BMX track shown on the design. They looked at each other sheepishly and explained that they were just in charge of the skate park, nothing else, but they could pass on my feedback to the company in charge of the entire development. At this stage someone from the council arrived (who I would later discover is the Manager of Major Initiatives for the council) who, having realised the council's mistake, sent an underling to round up anyone at the other location. This meant the meeting didn't start properly until almost 6.30. 

The meeting? 90 minutes of a dozen grumpy skaters (almost all in their 40's and 50's) complaining that they didn't want "their" bowl altered, complaining about lines, angles, and all sorts of other skating terms while I sat there (fairly) patiently. I could tell the designers and council members were getting frustrated, but all credit to them for not just telling these blithering idiots to be grateful - the current skate park is in poor condition, a massive liability hazard and the council is willing to spend huge sums of money putting in an entirely new park for them! Finally the 2 designers split the skaters into 2 groups, working with them on some of the finer points of the design, and I seized my moment: I sat down with the lady from the council, found some common ground (she had tried to take her young daughter to the only remaining BMX facility in Knox recently, only to find it locked up and not available for use by the public) and ran through my proposal, did a bit of brown-nosing and finally left at about 8.30.

I even followed up with an email to the council member the following day thanking her for her time, etc... anything to make a good impression. Even if it does happen, I suspect there'll be a lot more work involved and it won't be built for another year or so, anyway.

TL:DR; a whole lot of talking for minimal result, if any.

In other news, 2 servos arrived - I'm slowly stockpiling parts for if/when I finally build my GF01 and WR02.

• Like 5

Novafox finally done.
Classical black Sport Tuned Motor, fully ball raced, I mean, 4 more for the wheels  B). Cut out front window to have a better look at the driver, enlarged rear window to have a better access to the power switch. And at last, I played around with the decals. Yes, I think I love it.

DSC_1423_1.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, lsear2905 said:

So a small update:

Firstly, this is the first time (at the age of 43) that I have actually gone to a council meeting. I am the kind of person that will constantly communicate with the council (or anyone else) to submit my feedback or ideas, but I've never felt the need to actually attend in person. For those of you familiar with how poorly local government is run, prepare to not be amazed.

I arrived at 5.55 (for a 6pm start), only to find out that the council had moved the location of the meeting, but not updated the website. Luckily there was a guy there (not associate with the council) who explained they'd moved the meeting to the council offices, a few minutes down the road. I got there at 6, and the place looked closed... I pressed a big red button next to the doors a few times, someone let me in and I made my way down a rabbit warren of corridors to find the meeting room. There were 2 young guys there from the company designing the skate park, and no-one else. They asked if I skated or rode BMX, I explained neither, I was here about the BMX track shown on the design. They looked at each other sheepishly and explained that they were just in charge of the skate park, nothing else, but they could pass on my feedback to the company in charge of the entire development. At this stage someone from the council arrived (who I would later discover is the Manager of Major Initiatives for the council) who, having realised the council's mistake, sent an underling to round up anyone at the other location. This meant the meeting didn't start properly until almost 6.30. 

The meeting? 90 minutes of a dozen grumpy skaters (almost all in their 40's and 50's) complaining that they didn't want "their" bowl altered, complaining about lines, angles, and all sorts of other skating terms while I sat there (fairly) patiently. I could tell the designers and council members were getting frustrated, but all credit to them for not just telling these blithering idiots to be grateful - the current skate park is in poor condition, a massive liability hazard and the council is willing to spend huge sums of money putting in an entirely new park for them! Finally the 2 designers split the skaters into 2 groups, working with them on some of the finer points of the design, and I seized my moment: I sat down with the lady from the council, found some common ground (she had tried to take her young daughter to the only remaining BMX facility in Knox recently, only to find it locked up and not available for use by the public) and ran through my proposal, did a bit of brown-nosing and finally left at about 8.30.

I even followed up with an email to the council member the following day thanking her for her time, etc... anything to make a good impression. Even if it does happen, I suspect there'll be a lot more work involved and it won't be built for another year or so, anyway.

TL:DR; a whole lot of talking for minimal result, if any.

In other news, 2 servos arrived - I'm slowly stockpiling parts for if/when I finally build my GF01 and WR02.

Well done for hanging in there! Most people would have just given up. Really hope this story has a good ending. Please keep us updated.

1 hour ago, lsear2905 said:

For those of you familiar with how poorly local government is run, prepare to not be amazed.

I work in the LA and can tell you this, the problem is the managers. Too many layers of unqualified people managing people who know what to do but are unable to do things correctly. Oh, the worst thing? The endless chase for spreadsheet. I am very certain that council managers get hard when looking at spreadsheets, the more cells, the better. 

I was recently asked to explain why I only spend £75 out of the £300 I was allocated, out of a budget of £1.7m! That was very literally 0.0176% of the total budget! 

10 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

Well done for hanging in there! Most people would have just given up. Really hope this story has a good ending. Please keep us updated.

That is how LA works, grinds you down till you give up. Usually, there will be no good ending. Projects are often directed by the unqualified and clueless only to make themselves look good. 

1 hour ago, YelloMello said:

Novafox finally done.
Classical black Sport Tuned Motor, fully ball raced, I mean, 4 more for the wheels  B). Cut out front window to have a better look at the driver, enlarged rear window to have a better access to the power switch. And at last, I played around with the decals. Yes, I think I love it.

DSC_1423_1.jpg

I've never really been a big fan of the Novafox. But I am now. That's so good! Lovely work.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, alvinlwh said:

That is how LA works, grinds you down till you give up. Usually, there will be no good ending. Projects are often directed by the unqualified and clueless only to make themselves look good. 

Depressing isn't it.

And people wonder why I retreat to my "toys" hobby!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GeeWings said:

Depressing isn't it.

And people wonder why I retreat to my "toys" hobby!

Promotion/managers in LA seem to change people. In my previous LA, my manager used to be a nice (enough) guy, but he got promoted and promoted again, and got progressively worse. Power seems to get to their head. When I was in the private sector things were not like that. 🤷

1 minute ago, alvinlwh said:

Promotion/managers in LA seem to change people. In my previous LA, my manager used to be a nice (enough) guy, but he got promoted and promoted again, and got progressively worse. Power seems to get to their head. When I was in the private sector things were not like that. 🤷

Humans are weird creatures that's for sure. 

24 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

Humans are weird creatures that's for sure. 

That is why I have no desire to be a manager even though there were openings. I do not want to be a SOB. Also, Middle management in the LA is the worse, get pressed by the SOB from the top, and have to manage bottom feeding SOB like myself. No thanks! 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

That is why I have no desire to be a manager even though there were openings. I do not want to be a SOB. Also, Middle management in the LA is the worse, get pressed by the SOB from the top, and have to manage bottom feeding SOB like myself. No thanks! 

Sorry, what is LA an abbreviation of? Also, I am particularly persistent (some might say stubborn) so I'm not giving up on this.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

Sorry, what is LA an abbreviation of? Also, I am particularly persistent (some might say stubborn) so I'm not giving up on this.

LA is 'Local Authority' (Local Government, the Council for a specific area).

So what exactly was your proposal for the BMX track? That one should be included in the park? Or there's one already included in the design that should be designed in a certain way perhaps?