Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A belated Happy Birthday @berman I do like that Lotus (have a few Matchbox versions) and know you'll make a fab job of it when it finally gets to you.

Thanks @Re-Bugged for responding to @Willy iine for me - got caught out by the time difference there, I think!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Painted my TD2 today, deviated slightly from box art by painting the wing black (not pictured) for that Ferrari F1 look. While I used the kit recommended red I backed it up with black for deeper red although strangely enough the mud guards ended up darker. I don't mind though, unintentional two-tone color :D,

Also no front body post since I plan to use velcro strip for that area.

20220731_165852.jpg

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, berman said:

Cheers @Re-Bugged, I will lay out my tools tonight in anticipation.

ODSNriO.jpeg

Cheers Si, much appreciated mate 😎

Pleasure good to see your dipping back into TC. 

11 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Badcrumble for the 45th Porsche, do you know whether the Tamiya’s CF chassis set is compatible?  Just wondering as the CF set does not show wheelbase length..(?) and want to make sure it works with the short wheelbase on the 45th..  TIA

The only difference between a regular wheelbase TA02 and a TA02SW is that the SW uses flipped TA01 rear arms, chassis plates or tub is the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Badcrumble for the 45th Porsche, do you know whether the Tamiya’s CF chassis set is compatible?  Just wondering as the CF set does not show wheelbase length..(?) and want to make sure it works with the short wheelbase on the 45th..  TIA

If you're interested in fixing the wheelbase to properly fit the 934 shell, then no. You'll need to either fiddle with the rear arms or get a set of the Maxspeed 230mm carbon fibre plates (and damper stays, to keep it all CF) from eBay, then shorten the prop shaft or prop shaft cups.

My chosen method was to go with the Maxspeed plates then shorten one of the prop shaft cups, worked really well 

• Thanks 1

Installed electrics, body posts and battery plate on my FF03-Rrrr bits-a-build

spacer.png

spacer.png

Last remaining jobs are

• attach the servo to the receiver; the servo lead is too short so I've had to order an extension 
  • install a motor and pinion (the only parts I missed out were the 3x6mm cap screws to mount the motor, on their way now!)
  • install the stabilisers
  • decide whether to hack up the bumper to try and get the 306 shell to fit, or leave it as is and go for a different body 🤔
  • Like 10

Not RCing but discovered today that the airbrush is great for starting a BBQ quickly. 

it7rQIT.jpg

• Haha 8

Continued the clean up of Dual Hunter parts for our rebuild, el kid washed up some plastics and we stripped the diffs. 

Offered up my home made masks against the Dual Hunter body - not bad! Cleaned up the body with alcohol and T's own polycarb cleaner to remove marks from where the previous owner made some body holes. Slightly too humid to get painting just now though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

If you're interested in fixing the wheelbase to properly fit the 934 shell, then no. You'll need to either fiddle with the rear arms or get a set of the Maxspeed 230mm carbon fibre plates (and damper stays, to keep it all CF) from eBay, then shorten the prop shaft or prop shaft cups.

My chosen method was to go with the Maxspeed plates then shorten one of the prop shaft cups, worked really well 

3 hours ago, TurboRSR said:

The only difference between a regular wheelbase TA02 and a TA02SW is that the SW uses flipped TA01 rear arms, chassis plates or tub is the same. 

@Juhunio, @TurboRSR, @Re-Bugged, @Badcrumble, guys thanks for the info!  This helps greatly.  

Now it's really up to whether I can manage adding a touring car into my pretend RC shop.  I like the car, I use to race long time ago so nothing against touring cars themselves.  I don't plan to do any racing with the 45th, just for display and casual driving.

I'm worried I will cave-in to an avalanche of touring cars if I let one in.. :wacko: :lol: haha.. and we all know I have -7 display space available (over booked)  at the moment.. :ph34r:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I'm worried I will cave-in to an avalanche of touring cars if I let one in.. :wacko: :lol: 

I'm a focus group of one, but it's inevitable....

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

I'm a focus group of one, but it's inevitable....

Yeah.. I better think this over real deeply.. and carefully.. B)

• Like 1

Still trying to figure out the electronics for my Optima Mid build. I was thinking of going for a Hobbywing brushless combo, but not sure the esc would fit.  It looks like there's little room between that cool but skinny main chassis and the upper deck... Does anybody know if a Hobbywing 10BL60 or 10BL120 would fit the car in its normal configuration (no carbon chassis)? Looks like it would be necessary to remove the fan if anything?

Would a standard servo fit, or does a low profile one better suit the task? 

Thanks a lot for any info

Yep, you're done for @Willy iine!;) I don't think you realise it yet, but you've clearly opened the door to your RC shop and planted a Touring car seed somewhere over in the corner. It grows by the day and will soon flourish into one and then many Touring car kits I reckon!:ph34r:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

Still trying to figure out the electronics for my Optima Mid build. I was thinking of going for a Hobbywing brushless combo, but not sure the esc would fit.  It looks like there's little room between that cool but skinny main chassis and the upper deck... Does anybody know if a Hobbywing 10BL60 or 10BL120 would fit the car in its normal configuration (no carbon chassis)? Looks like it would be necessary to remove the fan if anything?

Would a standard servo fit, or does a low profile one better suit the task? 

Thanks a lot for any info

I'm using a HW 10BL120 and I had to remove the fan. You can see it installed in my build:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Yep, you're done for @Willy iine!;) I don't think you realise it yet, but you've clearly opened the door to your RC shop and planted a Touring car seed somewhere over in the corner. It grows by the day and will soon flourish into one and then many Touring car kits I reckon!:ph34r:

Yeah, I'm still on the fence.  If I get the 45th I know I will want to setup a dedicated display for it (and probably a few more special edition Tamiya on road cars or chassis :ph34r:) with some garage accessories to go with the cars.. the issue always comes down to how big and where to place this display in the shop or the extended room next Summer.  Even with the extended room, it will primarily house a driving area and it's not like I have unlimited space.. :wacko: 

The more I think about it, the more I feel I need to move the work table to another room and dedicate my pretend RC shop to just display and lounge/sitting area.. I need to get my buggies off the floor first.. where the heck am I going to display the Optima MID..?  

I'm getting too far ahead of myself.  Poor planning.. fail!   Hey at least I'm good at something!  fail!  :D 

After some feedbacks and further checks on the pictures, I decided to review the model slightly to make the chevron profiles different...

I also included some lettering (a plan under the surface, a text, an extrusion, shaved with a revolve at an offset of .5mm of the surface of the tire).
OXtynUR.jpg4NXmKmm.jpg

I added colours in order to make it more realistic
GuNweBb.jpgy9SrT5G.jpg

When discussing yesterday with a member of another forum, he reminded me about the support issues I had the only time I tested flexible filament on my own printer: they are a mess to remove, which means it is definitely not going to be easy to print in flexible material using FDM. This turned in my mind the whole night. This morning decided to have a look at few options.

First, I went to I.materialise.com to price the STL in MJF rubber like. Very simple : definitely too much. That won't work.
Then I had a check to see if there was other providers doing similar Rubber like printing online, and it seems that only few printers actually print flexible material.

Ultimately, this tire maybe printable with dual head printer and soluble support materials... Not the usual printer most of the people do.
Maybe printing two halves, integrating the sleeves to act as support could work. I may have to create STL for this...

Next element I thought about is a mould. I decided to do an attempt to create stls for a mould. Printing moulds should not be an issue, and won't require any supports in the important side. Which also means proper finish...
I used the tire model as cut in a mould, and made few parts for this.

The mould would be composed of two parts for each halves.
An external side, with the chevron, and the lettering and the tire side
rMAWIR5.jpg

An internal side
1HtFSvV.jpg

Each halves would be moulded separately, and the center part would be removed before assembly of the two halves.
NRaA8VU.jpg

I believe the external mould would help into this assembly, and I created some elements to make sure the two halves would be oriented properly (one of fixations attachement is bigger to make sure it is proper).
6KYajco.jpg

Printing those parts should be easy. a release agent would likely allow for multiple tires from the same mould parts...

I received some feedbacks from a friend with moulding experience and I'll review the moulds slightly, but the general idea is there....

(and while I may not try to print Big Bear myself as I have none, I may want to try to print or mould some buggy tires, and I may try that on some of the other tires I modeled recently)...

• Like 4

13 hours ago, c64orinoco said:

It's a council in Australia - the way to get them to do what you want is to turn up at meetings with a brown paper bag stuffed full of $100 notes. Too easy (as they say).

I feel like you would never actually be bribing the right person though - it feels like everyone there is somehow middle-management.

Absolutely no RC yesterday - it was my son's 13th birthday, and he was very sick (food poisoning perhaps?) so we all had a very quiet day yesterday (combined with Melbourne's miserable weather).

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

A belated Happy Birthday @berman I do like that Lotus (have a few Matchbox versions) and know you'll make a fab job of it when it finally gets to you. 

Thanks BC. It's what you guys call a 'marmite' car I guess. I feel like the got to the rear of the doors and it was 4pm on a Friday. I think a coupe or hatch would have knocked it out of the park shape wise.

11 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

Pleasure good to see your dipping back into TC. 

I've got a bit more time on my hands now, so hopefully I will spend more time on here. Thanks fella 🙂

• Like 2

@lsear2905  Happy Birthday to your son!  Sorry to hear about his illness..  hope he's feeling better and got some nicer weather on the way to your area.  :D 

I didn't do any RC either today.. I played with my 1:1 car this morning and this afternoon more brainstorming on what to do with my pretend RC shop.. my wife and I had a chat this late afternoon and I think I have a potential path to getting my RC work table out of my pretend RC shop and into the 1st floor piano lounge/my office.  It's going to be tricky however as I need to bring all RC parts bins, building materials including paints, and tool drawers with the table while keeping the lounge looking 'normal' without obvious signs of RC dorky-ness..:ph34r:   My confidence level is still 50/50 whether I can make this happen successfully mainly because my lounge has no closet, no storage area, and more an open space setup..I will have to get a new cabinet of some sort.. hummmmmm...

Happy belated birthday @berman!! I'm sorry I'm late once again Neil but I hope you are happy, safe, and enjoying your hobby.

Today I spent some time out with my RC buddy Ian, this time running a pair of vintage Hornet buggies. Here's some pictures of the cars.

The buggies:

AAgqSRQ.jpeg

Even though the winter has been a tad cruel over here today we had a lil sun so it was very nice to have the chance to go out with the cars.

exNwsUY.jpeg

Ian ran a 1985 Hornet buggy with a Buggy Champ body sporting one of the craziest paintjobs ever!

gGdpmpm.jpeg

Now my car, this time using a beater body, as you can see below has a set of 550 Turbo Blaster tires, a vintage 550 MRP motor, and a set of vintage stab bars. Nothing was a problem with this car today! :)

YcV6myF.jpeg

You all have a FANTASTIC week!!!

• Like 8

8 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

I feel like you would never actually be bribing the right person though - it feels like everyone there is somehow middle-management.

Absolutely no RC yesterday - it was my son's 13th birthday, and he was very sick (food poisoning perhaps?) so we all had a very quiet day yesterday (combined with Melbourne's miserable weather).

Sorry to hear. Both my kids have it too. There is some gross gastro bug sweeping through Melbourne :(

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

Happy belated birthday @berman!! I'm sorry I'm late once again Neil but I hope you are happy, safe, and enjoying your hobby.

Hey Erich! Long time no hear! Thank you for the birthday wishes mate! 😁 And what a birthday seeing those mighty vintage Hornets out for some action! Good to see you still get out for burn every now and again 😎

Well I got the 'chassis' done. Not going with these wheels and won't put electronics in it apart from a servo. But might put some basic CVA oil filled dampers like any of my other non runner chassis, because I loathe these pathetic click-together sloppy friction dampers.

4LPUooc.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, berman said:

Hey Erich! Long time no hear! Thank you for the birthday wishes mate! 😁 And what a birthday seeing those mighty vintage Hornets out for some action! Good to see you still get out for burn every now and again 😎

Well I got the 'chassis' done. Not going with these wheels and won't put electronics in it apart from a servo. But might put some basic CVA oil filled dampers like any of my other non runner chassis, because I loathe these pathetic click-together sloppy friction dampers.

4LPUooc.jpeg

Is that for the lotus? I’m doing a lotus body for my M06 soon but not sure what colour to do. Was toying with Camel yellow with some blue accents as per the Lotus Camel racing colours?

• Like 1

Hey @Mark_McQ, thanks for making me feel even older and more obsolete!  :lol:

It's really wonderful to see these new custom creations to keep our hobby alive.   Keep it up!