Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Got as far as I could with my DT03 Falcon tribute. Shame the colour was off on the majority of the eBay special stickers. 

0FA05F3F-AF77-4338-B9D7-CA77E0467C8C.jpeg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Had a bit more fun driving in the office. 😁

AJj8Gxf.jpg

What's it standing on? A coke can?;)

Buggy looks so cool mate, the colour scheme is awesome!B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@davidsen Wow, that looks like a breaker box in there with all the wiring!  Nice job!

This is only if you care, but if you take like a size C or D alkaline battery wrapped with sand paper (I use a rolled up magazine for various radius), you can gently clean up the cut marks on the fender and quarter panel wheel arches.  I do it all the time to get a nice clean round shape.  But this again is entirely up to you.  Nice job again.  :D 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@davidsen Wow, that looks like a breaker box in there with all the wiring!  Nice job!

This is only if you care, but if you take like a size C or D alkaline battery wrapped with sand paper (I use a rolled up magazine for various radius), you can gently clean up the cut marks on the fender and quarter panel wheel arches.  I do it all the time to get a nice clean round shape.  But this again is entirely up to you.  Nice job again.  :D 

Nice.  I use the Tamiya PS spray can… so far so good 🤞

1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

What's it standing on? A coke can?;)

Buggy looks so cool mate, the colour schemes is awesome!B)

It don't need no coke can, it can do that on a part used lipo, I think it will flip over on a full one. Time to dial down the punch I think?

BTW, I don't drink coke, it is Monster all the way! 

1 hour ago, davidsen said:

made my GT1 glow... What a mess until all wires are where they belong.

IMG_20220816_225246.jpg

IMG_20220816_225319.jpg

IMG_20220816_213921.jpg

Awesome mate, looks like it means business!

All the classic yellow on this thread today is giving me a Tamiya boner:D

For me finishing up the bin I am making for Willy’s work bench, and making 2 small 1qt oil bottles.. :ph34r:

Uhhh… wish me hope please.. 

IMG_2022-8-17-084812.jpg.e6f221d2988f778f53becdab4e97503c.jpg

In other news, my TurboScorpion #1 was found and getting delivered today.  TS #2 is now stuck somewhere in the FedEx system due to their constipation..  :wacko:

Update.. I think it sort of resembles a 1qt oil bottle..?  :wacko:  Issue is I needed to reverse emboss the side of the bottle due to pure laziness.. well, honestly did not want to spend too much time on it.. I think with a few decals and hope it might turn out okay.. 

IMG_2022-8-17-110026.jpg.93b0dc5b8eeb807bb9e11c4fccb0397b.jpg

I need to make another one..  :ph34r:  

Update.. the other one also shaped.   I think I’m going to paint them white?  Blue?  

My wife said of red it will look like Draino.  :lol:

IMG_2022-8-17-153614.jpg.8278c3ba4b336077269db9e846a939f1.jpg

Update.. decided to paint them blue.  

There's some JX oil decal I have, so will use that once dry.  

IMG_2022-8-17-164718.jpg.6e6827613ea6a18d24b0266a24bcc28e.jpg

Update.. finished the bottles and bin..  

IMG_2022-8-17-200636.jpg.b322dc7a7cb4e02a470d091664cadfae.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks for the hint...simple and clever solution. I will do so.

• Like 2

Moved house today - am now knackered

Have a double garage and a big hobby room for RC now though - so worth it :D

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

Living the dream BG 👌😁

Enjoy the new gaff, and a large bevvy tonight maybe 🍺 

56 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

Congrats!!!   :D 

Yesterday ordered some new wheels/tyres for the 1/24 crawler. Meant to be overnight delivery, instead of going to the big city between where it was shipped from and where I live, it went in the other direction to a different city and is now sitting there overnight 🙄

Went to my LHS and fingered through the box of new Mojave I am paying off and put some more money on it. Can't believe the batteries are going to cost $450 🤐

• Like 1

Today ive done some cutting and drilling on a spare dt03 chassi i got a while back, i was considering trying to 3d print the rest of the parts to put together something like a dt03 but then decided id just order an aqroshot kit since its got the right rims/tires and width to become a Street Blitzer Beetle, if the wheelbase can be addressed.

So the next step will be rejoining.

Some of the drilling ive done was so i could add "stiches" of rebar tie wire to hold the two parts together, it seems surprising sturdy this far but i want to further strengthen the join as well as make it water/dust proof again as the cut is across the bottom of the tub, under battery.

My initial though was that the chassi would be ABS and thereby could be chemically joined using sprue dissolved in acetone/sprue goo.

To prep for this i threw a bunch of cut up sprue bits, from which the chassi had been removed, into a jar of acetone but they have not dissolved and instead just gotten brittle so thats that idea is shot down.

Now im looking at something else to use, any ideas as to what would work well?

Chemical metal plastic padding, two part epoxy or something else? Any suggestions?

@Willy iine You seem like one to be quite knowledgeable in this area since you do high level plastic construction?

• Like 2

@Ziddan  Sounds like a fun project!

Joining two chassis pieces is quite different from styrene as the chemistry is different.  Honestly when I join parts on the chassis, I use fasteners, not cement as the flexible nature make them pretty picky about what glue works and what doesn't. This is why I use aluminum or CF when making my own parts.  

For low impact areas I would use CA, but it's not fusing the pieces together..  sorry not much help here.  :(

Last week I was with my parents in the village.  I rested from the urban rhythm of life.  While I was there, I received an important package.  Resin for printing tires.  I picked it up from the post office today.  I hope to find time and print test tires in the near future.IMG_20220817_181759_779.thumb.jpg.cde8f1bc50953c1285af6bd80078c516.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Ziddan when I join parts on the chassis, I use fasteners, not cement

That is great input, i will look into adding some bracing across the joint, i know i got some sheet aluminium somewhere and then just adding something with a bit of flex as weather proofing-

20 hours ago, Juhunio said:

I've had my eye on those red 4mm serrated lock nuts for a while, but shipping to the UK is AU$33 😳

Have you tried Banggood? I've bought a lot of that kind of stuff from them and quality seems good and the price is great

• Like 2

Picked up some wheels that had just arrived at my LHS (impulse purchase) while on my way to physio. Installed them tonight (104 hex bolts).😬

The other wheels I ordered... ummm... might have to buy another 1/24 🤷

VxBcRP8.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ziddan said:

Now im looking at something else to use, any ideas as to what would work well?

May I suggest you have a good look at the tub and see if it has letter codes on it. ie abs, ps etc. at least then you’ll know what your dealing with. When I shortened my DT02 to fit the beach buggy body better I used strips of plasticard and polystyrene cement. It is very solid. Have you tried to dissolve any bits in anything other than acetone?  Ultimately you really need some kind of brace between the two parts as the join is unlikely to be strong enough on its own. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Have you tried Banggood? I've bought a lot of that kind of stuff from them and quality seems good and the price is great

I have looked, but they don't seem to have these serrated lock nuts in colours (red). Loads of Nyloc nuts, but not this M4 serrated type :(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

My Banggood purchase! :D   Was a Flamingo.. 

IMG_Apr62021at51115PM.thumb.jpg.e1905f15d6ed75c2a8e3f7c163bc8d73.jpg

• Like 3

Sometimes, the hunt for one thing leads you to buy several other, loosely connected items. So, whilst hunting for TRF tools (and I have received an offer for some) I came across this broken box wrench on eBay.

f53sRSa.jpg

Now, having already ordered 2 more of these from Sweden to turn into more useful tools, I wanted to repurpose this one into something I've discovered a need for.

Presenting, the TRF 3mm Thread Forming Tap!

U3ywAL9.jpg

This low effort hack means that I can now press threads with a little more dexterity and control, and also that my tap now has a blue handle on it that cost me all of £11. I'll take the coating off of the broken box wrench and see if I can braze the crack shut, but it seems like it split when it's previous owner either overtightened something or tried to break the torque on something when removing it. Anyway, the bit may live again, and if it doesn't, well my thread tap has a nice handle...

Now to see if I can get the rest of the TRF tools in the door without drawing the ire of the Mrs - The M-07, M-08 & TB Evo 8s have only just received retrospective permission! :lol:

Luke

• Like 3

For me just real simple stuff to start the day.. I realized why place real tools in Willy’s shop when I can just make them.. 

IMG_2022-8-18-102330.jpg.6efabe43315dce83701dd84759fcb8aa.jpg

IMG_2022-8-18-102341.jpg.525c18fff0db9693e9b5e5896105d2a5.jpg

Will give it some paint later in the day.  B)

Going to work on a stool next.. 

Update.. since I have no engineering talent nor know what the heck I’m doing, I am relying 100% on my eyeballs and hope to level the bench and foot support ring.. :ph34r:

IMG_2022-8-18-141447.jpg.f0adb1422cdf28ac1c12f0c8ad934f1b.jpg

Update.. the bench will sit on top.. will give it some color after the cement fully sets.. 

IMG_2022-8-18-150048.jpg.81d3f06142059bea372ac3037637e5fa.jpg

Final update for the day.. 

IMG_2022-8-18-172608.jpg.a81a70f3415c70bf64b02a9ea4796702.jpg

IMG_2022-8-18-183400.thumb.jpg.b98d584f07aaf00223d79bbc08beeaad.jpg

• Like 7