Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Disassembled the Bolink Digger which were waiting patiently in the stash for some attention. And that is really needed. Some parts missing, some are worn and some needs to be removed or at least they need re-thinking as they were some kind of home brew mods. Which I quite like to a certain degree. Now I need to look for parts and I have no idea if spares are still available.

IMG_20220929_160856_n2NQ4Jrw2D.thumb.jpeg.8cec3e949399869ab255a8440013a59e.jpeg

• Like 6

I spent a good 1.5 hrs cleaning my pretend RC shop this morning.   It wasn't bad at all, the air purifier is definitely helping reduce plasticard dust from scattering all over the room.  B)

Im waiting for my Hakosuka GTR to arrive today.  First thing is to swap the receiver to run off my transmitter.. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Also I just saw this on FB. A shell being developed for the GF01:

That looks awesome.  Who is making that @GeeWings?

6 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I spent a good 1.5 hrs cleaning my pretend RC shop this morning.   It wasn't bad at all, the air purifier is definitely helping reduce plasticard dust from scattering all over the room.  B)

Im waiting for my Hakosuka GTR to arrive today.  First thing is to swap the receiver to run off my transmitter.. 

Does the GTR shell come painted. I’m presuming it’s the Fazer one. I really fancy the Renault GTA on the Fazer chassis. Would compliment my Alpine A110!!! Be still my beating heart I have other projects to complete so you will have to wait!!!

Just placed pre order with fusion for an F104!! Don’t need it but boy it’s pretty. Probably will do as Ferrari or possibly  Red Bull? Though might do a what if Camel were still sponsoring F1 in 2017!!!

• Like 3

Today I put the finishing touches to a couple of weeks worth of painting and decorating

First, the Audi R8 shell for my TA04-R. This was without doubt the most amount of time I have yet put into masking, painting, cleaning and stickering any body shell. So far I've only done the key stickers that cover the masking lines along with the full back end so I could mount the wing. I'll finish the rest of the stickers over the winter

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And second, a 'stealth-mode' AMG GT3. I used the darker gun metal before covering it in flat clear, and am really pleased with how the masking worked around the black areas. I used the stock sticker kit, just left out all the yellow accents, and made new stickers for the wing side-blades using Tamiya's carbon sticker sheet

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It was a really nice shell to work on, the only shame is the use of o-rings and snap pins to secure the wing to the mounts, which is a bit low-rent

No chassis for this one, I've got 2/3 of a pretty high-spec TA04 left over from various bits-a-builds and am waiting on the necessary parts to finish it and then sell, probably with this body shell on it. Should make for a nice package for someone :)

• Like 10

49 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Today I put the finishing touches to a couple of weeks worth of painting and decorating

First, the Audi R8 shell for my TA04-R. This was without doubt the most amount of time I have yet put into masking, painting, cleaning and stickering any body shell. So far I've only done the key stickers that cover the masking lines along with the full back end so I could mount the wing. I'll finish the rest of the stickers over the winter

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And second, a 'stealth-mode' AMG GT3. I used the darker gun metal before covering it in flat clear, and am really pleased with how the masking worked around the black areas. I used the stock sticker kit, just left out all the yellow accents, and made new stickers for the wing side-blades using Tamiya's carbon sticker sheet

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It was a really nice shell to work on, the only shame is the use of o-rings and snap pins to secure the wing to the mounts, which is a bit low-rent

No chassis for this one, I've got 2/3 off a pretty high-spec TA04 left over from various bits-a-builds and am waiting on the necessary parts to finish it and then sell, probably with this body shell on it. Should make for a nice package for someone :)

Both are beautiful but the Audi is out of this world. I’ve got a 1/24th scale one to do. The paint job is daunting!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Just placed pre order with fusion for an F104!! Don’t need it but boy it’s pretty. Probably will do as Ferrari or possibly  Red Bull? Though might do a what if Camel were still sponsoring F1 in 2017!!!

Camel colours get my vote!

2021-03-17_04-28-18

Although of you are considering "what if?" colour schemes, the Caterham one also looks good.

2022-09-29_10-06-47

• Like 5

So I got my Kyosho Hakosuka GTR today.  :D  

Pulled the car out of the box expecting Mini-Z level quality bodywork.  B)

Here is the horror I found.. decals.  I thought maybe it was an aluminum pressed emblem with protective film.. but no.   :wacko:

IMG_2022-9-29-164623.jpg.d12e2d99e6d860b3b28c957cd52eb231.jpg

Completely unacceptable by my standards, I removed the decal and trimmed off the excess.  B)

IMG_2022-9-29-164637.jpg.2599ccc813092020ea28bfda03e9ca36.jpg

Other side..  :blink:

IMG_2022-9-29-164646.jpg.de75511c51e3ca80cac4510b0e3483c5.jpg

Fixed.. :D

IMG_2022-9-29-164655.jpg.5f6ef07330c11a188052cf16d4e0e7e4.jpg

Same with the side markers ..

IMG_2022-9-29-164714.jpg.44ad5d8e8bd88855b97664d39ff62169.jpg

After.. 

IMG_2022-9-29-164730.jpg.911eb056676f4e8163814da8473b3c78.jpg

Other then those, the C pillar decal does not fully sit on the body so the edges are lifted, tried some heat with no improvement. 

I also need to paint the hideous chrome wipers.. but besides that, looks pretty good.  Will take some real pictures after I adjust the ride height and set her up.  :D 

IMG_2022-9-29-164747.jpg.99a35bf221fb41cbba8c87b25b981d50.jpg

If MiniZ bodies were a 10/10, this body is about a 7 as is, 8.5 after cleaning up the decals.  Since I’m more a hard shell guy, difficult to give a 10 on these polycarbonate bodies.. overall I am happy I got it though.  :D 

Update.. painted the wipers proper TS silver color.  :D  Will paint the insert matte black before mounting the arms back onto the body.   

IMG_2022-9-29-180913.jpg.edc44113867c03536baf557b5f884fd7.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Aerobert said:

Disassembled the Bolink Digger which were waiting patiently in the stash for some attention. And that is really needed. Some parts missing, some are worn and some needs to be removed or at least they need re-thinking as they were some kind of home brew mods. Which I quite like to a certain degree. Now I need to look for parts and I have no idea if spares are still available.

There's a good chance that RJ Speed's Legends parts are compatible.  I believe they purchased the parts and designs from Bolink.  Calandra Racing Concepts makes rubber tires for running it on asphalt.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Juhunio said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

No chassis for this one, I've got 2/3 off a pretty high-spec TA04 left over from various bits-a-builds and am waiting on the necessary parts to finish it and then sell, probably with this body shell on it. Should make for a nice package for someone :)

Awesome AMG GT.  I have the shell but waiting to find the right chassis before painting.  Still undecided about the color.  

I started a threat on body paints and how they look in real life.  Can you add your car and paint details?

• Thanks 1

I bought a new record player - the Audio-Technica LP60X (the red one!), as my 15yo is getting into records at the moment. For the audiophiles here, forgive me, but I wasn't willing to spend a fortune on a high end player when they may get bored relatively quickly, but I also refuse to buy the cheap $100 rubbish from Aldi/Kmart etc. I did plenty of research to find something 'decent,' but after an attempted purchase of a used one (which was faulty and the guy gave me my money back) I wasn't game to try used again. I wanted to make sure it had RCA line out to hook up to my Onkyo amp, auto start/stop and could play 33 and 45s, both 7" and 12". I also wanted to make sure replacement needles were readily available.

I had to christen/test it with 'Whispering Jack,' then I let my 15yo enjoy their brand new Arctic Monkeys album.

My CR01/GF01 mirrors arrived from Tony's Tamiya Parts, and I built a replacement rear view mirror for my Mini Z 4Runner, shaped it and glued it all up. Looks great, but it snapped off as soon as I moved it! I've re-glued it, but think next time I'll use Shoe Goo (more flexibility) instead of superglue.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

I bought a new record player - the Audio-Technica LP60X (the red one!), as my 15yo is getting into records at the moment. For the audiophiles here, forgive me, but I wasn't willing to spend a fortune on a high end player when they may get bored relatively quickly, but I also refuse to buy the cheap $100 rubbish from Aldi/Kmart etc. I did plenty of research to find something 'decent,' but after an attempted purchase of a used one (which was faulty and the guy gave me my money back) I wasn't game to try used again. I wanted to make sure it had RCA line out to hook up to my Onkyo amp, auto start/stop and could play 33 and 45s, both 7" and 12". I also wanted to make sure replacement needles were readily available.

I had to christen/test it with 'Whispering Jack,' then I let my 15yo enjoy their brand new Arctic Monkeys album.

My CR01/GF01 mirrors arrived from Tony's Tamiya Parts, and I built a replacement rear view mirror for my Mini Z 4Runner, shaped it and glued it all up. Looks great, but it snapped off as soon as I moved it! I've re-glued it, but think next time I'll use Shoe Goo (more flexibility) instead of superglue.

Nice work on the vinyl. We've been talking in the 'crumble household about having ours restored to working order. It is the DeLorean of record players The Strathearn Story

I second shoo goo - it has been really good for me - if you haven't used it before. It is really stinky though and takes a couple of days to cure. My son and I have been making a dice tray using it this week.

23 hours ago, Nick-W said:

The rib spikes are still in my online basket on Modelsport. They look very cool, but the order was getting expensive. This is only my second car since getting back into the hobby. I brought a DF03 back in February but I think I’m enjoying the DT03 more. Such a characterful car.   

Yeah fair enough, that's why I'm hesitant to buy the expensive dampers. Once you add all the extras that you would want, you end up being in the price range of a better buggy (like a TD2 for example) so like you, I am trying not to go overkill and enjoy it for what it is.

I still need a steel pinion, a motor upgrade, and hopefully I will cut it off there 😄

So today my ribspikes turned up. Rather annoyed the wing didn't, but that was coming through a different (more useless) courier company. 🙄

Dsn9nR5.jpeg

10 hours ago, Willy iine said:

So I got my Kyosho Hakosuka GTR  

IMG_2022-9-29-164747.jpg.99a35bf221fb41cbba8c87b25b981d50.jpg

Having seen and driven one of these (I completrly understand the decal over-cut dilemma), I still think they are an amazingly detailed rc, and if I didn't have my limited funds expressed elsewhere, I would get absolutely get one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Willy iine said:

1.5 hrs cleaning my pretend RC shop this morning

Oh please tell me you used a tiny model broom and tiny model dust pan and brush :) Every workshop needs them.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

I bought a new record player - the Audio-Technica LP60X

You could have combined your interest in vehicles with the new record player :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Nice work on the vinyl. We've been talking in the 'crumble household about having ours restored to working order. It is the DeLorean of record players The Strathearn Story

I second shoo goo - it has been really good for me - if you haven't used it before. It is really stinky though and takes a couple of days to cure. My son and I have been making a dice tray using it this week.

I've used shoe goo on many occasions, it's holding together many Lexan RC bodies (and even some shoes!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

There's a good chance that RJ Speed's Legends parts are compatible.  I believe they purchased the parts and designs from Bolink.  Calandra Racing Concepts makes rubber tires for running it on asphalt.

Thank you for the tip. 👍

I will have a look at their websites.

A report from in the field. I’ve just took the DT03 to a mini BMX pump track that’s on the way to the supermarket. It’s tarmac which I don’t usually run on. She did really well but my driving is terrible 😄. I’m sure I used to be better than this.
There’s a few things to take away from the run. I definitely don’t need any more power at the minute, not until my skill level has upped a bit. I might need stiffer springs on the back though and some sort of running protection. 
It was fun but I don’t think I’ll use the track again, it’s certainly left a mark. 

8F3B67BD-6CE4-4787-8FE3-DF653347D7B2.jpeg

68596732-2CAF-4B90-816A-E0732E4E081B.jpeg

A961F4F7-167D-458A-93BC-09BC579A16C6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Gebbly said:

Oh please tell me you used a tiny model broom and tiny model dust pan and brush :) Every workshop needs them.

Thanks for the idea!  I think I am going to make a broom and pan for Willy’s shop. :D 

I have a nice one with a long handle in my 1:1 garage but completely forgot about it as I have a faux iRobot dusting the space routinely every week.  

• Like 1

So for today, I am going to see if I can figure out this rubbing problem on my Hakosuka GTR.. more than half a turn ends up with tire contacting the fender .  :wacko: 

I thought maybe I can lessen the wheel offset, but the car is already running the thinner (thinnest?) brake rotor/hex hub so I will have to work with what I have...   height adjustment did not improve.   I also checked online if others were having the issue, but I think they’re just adjusting EPA (probably using dual rate if ready set transmitter)..

IMG_2022-9-30-074854.jpg.64501f85961b410b40a96cd2498e2841.jpg

IMG_2022-9-30-074840.jpg.d555419574d202f9478140a3a6b37109.jpg

But such a beautiful classic.   Thank you Kogawa-san!   B)

IMG_2022-9-30-080211.jpg.57ec0bd221d21e8d1e8775ec36d1e571.jpg

Update, the rubbing is fixed.  B)

You can see the lines I eyeball drew noting the resulting endpoint angle changes in steps to ensure I’m going in the right direction cause I sometimes loose my bearing and start going the wrong way.. :ph34r: 

IMG_2022-9-30-082643.jpg.0d80680c7f7d3b5c971ce3c6644e58bc.jpg

After fiddling around with the body posts heights I decided whoever drilled the body post holes was off by 1.5mm too far forward, resulting in the body to sit too far aft vs the chassis.  

And with my precision EWH technologies :lol:, I eyeball pushed the body posts forward bending it slightly and slightly eyeball elongating the rear body post holes to allow the body to sit about 1.5mm forward.  I also adjusted the rear body height by using the half increment adjustment at the base.. 

IMG_2022-9-30-083306.jpg.662b916a9ba936e81b30930175bdb9f8.jpg

The rear quarter panel arch sits fine in real life (picture is skewed) with the rear tires so I think this is a go.  

IMG_2022-9-30-083252.jpg.06e6a984bdbdaf1e0e568aa216818c47.jpg

Awesome!  Now waiting for my SR315 to arrive so that I can swap receivers.  The ECU is a 1060 they used.   

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 4