Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me, placed a quick Cyber Monday order to my usual hobby shop followed by some house chores.  

Was about to start my Egress black's body (going to do the body first) when my wife asked to swap battery in her car fob and got side tracked checking out my 1:1 cars while in my garage.. in addition, enjoyed some coffee time with my wife afterwards so finally going to start later this am after some WFH.  :D 

Couple of folks seem to have taken interest in my Willy's pretend RC shop accessories on Instagram so I posted up my trash can build from earlier this year using a plastic Easter Egg including a photo of my 1:1 trash can I used as model.  

Update.. started the cutting process.. got the body and wing cut out, will cut the tray, then spend a few hours shaping it to what I call perfection.. which could also mean crap.  :lol:...  :ph34r:  wish me hope..

IMG_2022-11-28-122522.jpg.f8a59e1735139f81568df5786e8c95dd.jpg

Update.. Body is cut, will now get down into the nooks shaping.. 

IMG_2022-11-28-132013.jpg.5c6c2514d0cef8b964bcc271ba77bef6.jpg

Update.. Shaping complete, masked, and sprayed the body and tray.   Going to remove th mask in a little bit.  B)

IMG_2022-11-28-175050.jpg.83ee1f2551dc480b5ccff7db9b3ab348.jpg

IMG_2022-11-28-175058.jpg.42be32d5c6c9f7481838b75926b1b3a3.jpg

Final update for today.. everything looked good except for the wing piece on one side, so I removed the paint and redid it.. drying now.  :D   

IMG_2022-11-28-185512.jpg.e43b98210cf243f2fa372eb1e3f1ce68.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 10

Little bit of fettling this evening after work...

First, it bugged me that Tamiya only made TA04 battery straps out of SSG carbon, when all the other upgrade parts (upper deck, damper towers) were carbon fibre. Well, turns out that these Top Force parts are a perfect fit for my TA04-R. These are Xtra Speed but there is a Tamiya part too (19803319)

spacer.png

Much better

spacer.png

Then onto my TA04-TRF. My insistence on using these aluminium front posts is all well and good, but they were much too short for my chosen body shell (Audi V8 Touring). So, the fix...rather than threading them through the bumper as per instructions, I put an 18mm aluminium spacer inside the urethane so I could sit the body posts on top of it rather than inside it. This meant that the lower pin holes were too high to get a pin in snug to the urethane, but a TRF415 bumper brace tidied everything up and a pair of Yokomo body mount spacer / bushings closed the gap up nicely

spacer.png

They're a nice length for the shell now, which is all painted and ready for stickering

spacer.png

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Then onto my TA04-TRF. My insistence on using these aluminium front posts is all well and good, but they were much too short for my chosen body shell (Audi V8 Touring). So, the fix...rather than threading them through the bumper as per instructions, I put an 18mm aluminium spacer inside the urethane so I could sit the body posts on top of it rather than inside it. This meant that the lower pin holes were too high to get a pin in snug to the urethane, but a TRF415 bumper brace tidied everything up and a pair of Yokomo body mount spacer / bushings closed the gap up nicely

spacer.png

Clever clogs👏🏻

• Thanks 1

Today was one of those evenings where I was able to almost wrap up a fair few of my builds.

At work I printed this, an unattractive black block:

5i8Wglo.jpg

Can you guess what it is? 

I have extended the wheelbase on my GF01 by flipping the rear arms. This means the wheelie bar needs to be pushed back, otherwise it fails to really work and the car can go almost vertical before it engages.

With the longer body of the FJ45 this became super critical, as a wheelie would have dragged the tail lights across the floor, leaving a lovely blue streak across the tarmac.

OCVp7Vk.jpg

Bolted in, pushing the wheelie bar around 2.5 cm further back.

zrhjkkd.jpg

Now the GF01 has a nice wheelie angle again! Well done unattractive block!

Second blocky thing was a riser and mount for the MN-45 FJ40 body so it could be used on the QD

f7PJLX6.jpg

It sits between the body and the chassis, allowing the front tab to slot into the recess, as well as raise the body by 7 mm at the front

vwgdZKk.jpg

929309D.jpg

Works well. The short bed is growing on me. I debating a little crane/winch in the rear to make a recovery vehicle. 

I properly printed a MF01x spacer, so I could have the perfect chassis length for the MF01x pumpkin. Although the Pumpkin low rider sits on an 210 mm chassis, the chassis always looked a little short to me. I printed a 13 mm spacer, allowing for a 213 mm wheelbase MF01x. 

x2I827w.jpg

It's the black spacer in the chassis. This was thanks to @Honza's design. I now have a the stl files for a spacer at any size, so if that's useful let me know, it makes the versatile MF01x even more so.

iQ9EZ9Z.jpg

So how does it look? Absaloutley bang on. The body is just resting on the chassis, it will be raised up to make an mud truck/off road race truck.

Lastly the brass square section finally arrived. Drilled and tapped it with M3 so it could mount to the Jeep as a heavy weight bumper.

cm0Mkez.jpg

So far seems to work in bringing the front down to offset the rear motor weight. I could have probably gone for 12 x 12 mm vs 10 x 10 mm but you live and learn. I'll paint it black, stick some rubber on the front and add the JP number plate.

Apologies for the low light pictures, I can only work on these at night when everyone has gone to bed.

So all in all a good day. I also 3D printed the first prototype of the CW01 arm to give the Lunchbox double wishbone suspension. Phew.

Tidy, sweep and mop floors, pack away and then bed.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Willy iine said:

For me, placed a quick Cyber Monday order to my usual hobby shop followed by some house chores.  

Was about to start my Egress black's body (going to do the body first) when my wife asked to swap battery in her car fob and got side tracked checking out my 1:1 cars while in my garage.. in addition, enjoyed some coffee time with my wife afterwards so finally going to start later this am after some WFH.  :D 

Couple of folks seem to have taken interest in my Willy's pretend RC shop accessories on Instagram so I posted up my trash can build from earlier this year using a plastic Easter Egg including a photo of my 1:1 trash can I used as model.  

Update.. started the cutting process.. got the body and wing cut out, will cut the tray, then spend a few hours shaping it to what I call perfection.. which could also mean crap.  :lol:...  :ph34r:  wish me hope..

IMG_2022-11-28-122522.jpg.f8a59e1735139f81568df5786e8c95dd.jpg

Update.. Body is cut, will now get down into the nooks shaping.. 

IMG_2022-11-28-132013.jpg.5c6c2514d0cef8b964bcc271ba77bef6.jpg

I just finished building mine, was a nice build as usual, the only problem I had was with the under tray the front pre drilled holes are a bit lower than the original Egress under tray holes, it end up leaving a space between the under tray and the chassis, ill try and get a photo of it tonight.

Unknown-3.jpeg

Unknown-6.jpeg

Unknown-4.jpeg

Unknown-5.jpeg

• Like 13

Well after a few weeks of poor weather and renovating our laundry the laundry is done (save for some painting that will need to be done when the weather finally improves).

The gardening that has been neglected due to poor weather and renovating will need to be attended to in the next few days - hopefully the weather on my RDO on Thursday is agreeable... considering it's the first day of Summer it should be!!

I managed to get in a bit of running larger cars on the weekend, but it ended with new tires being ordered for both the UDR and the E-Revo (even with 20% off specials it was still AUD$243 for 6 tires!). The boat club is still closed (the lake is full of algae) and every time I think the local cricket ovals will have dried out enough to run the Tamiyas, it rains again. @GeeWings will attest to the fact that Melbourne's weather of late has not been great for this hobby of ours.

• Like 2

Not today but yesterday. First I took out the Big Boss

Screenshot-20221127-224354-Video-Player.

Then I went home to winterize the Manta Ray. From this20221127-134843.jpg

to this20221127-142157.jpg

Rudimentary and hard to look at, but works great. At least it's a bit hidden once the driver is back on!20221127-142347.jpg

I did some more ordinary maintenance on the Manta, took out the the calipers after a long time and worked on the turnbuckles to decrease the toe-out a little, then fixed the slack on all four lower shock eyelets by adding some leftover o-rings. It worked great for now, but will have to see how long it'll last.

After that it was time for a delicate operation20221127-131112.jpgglad it went well and with no casualties :)

Lastly, I went out again with the Manta Ray, now all ready for the snow ❄

Screenshot-20221127-155945-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20221127-224819-Video-Player.

All in all, a great RC Sunday 👌

• Like 13

I was busy with my money making gig at the office today so have not had a chance to work on RC yet today.  :(  So tired now that I am home.  I received a bag of aluminum pinion gears for my Optimas and a bag of styrene rods for Willy's garage accessories.. hardly exciting to look at so did not post in the postman thread.  

This week I am expecting more Optima MID stuff and hopefully CF bits for my Kyosho Beetle.. and PS paints I got a super deal on.  So looking forward to that.  :D 

As soon as I take a break and get myself together, going to work on the decals for my Egress black body... wish me hope.. :ph34r:

Speaking of hope, PJ gave me a bonus "emma" which in Japan you write your wish and hang it at a temple for the gods to consider..  It included 3 sticker options.. like good health, finding your love, and wish comes true..  So I placed the wish comes true sticker and will hang it in my pretend RC shop so my hope becomes reality some day..   wish me hope.. :ph34r:  (As you can tell, there is no strategy nor intelligence with me.. it's all hope driven B))

IMG_2022-11-29-162219.jpg.cb0c2af8ebe1d30073b837189809dae3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Finished designing decals for my Avante x Gulltech project. As usual. great fun figuring out the fonts, spacing, shadows and other details.

The font used for 'Being nuts is neat' on the Avante rear wing is LEGOTHIC BOLD, in a stencil effect version of this font from 1972. The ‘g’ has been customised to shrink the descender and the ear. Whole thing is slanted to 14 degrees. I picked up on that style for some of this lettering, The rest is from other fonts, as outlined in my main post: 

Apols for light rudeness in language!

spacer.png

• Like 5

On 11/28/2022 at 2:41 PM, Willy iine said:

when my wife asked to swap battery in her car fob and got side tracked checking out my 1:1 cars

First of all super jealous with the building of your egress but its gona look fantastic mate! But going back to your good ladies car fob (key fob in the uk) a few weeks ago I had to change mine! Just a little funny story although at the time it kinda wasn't funny:( I'd just slowly recovered from the dreaded covid and my first day I tested negative I had got my appetite back and decided to go and treat myself to fish & chips so off I go to my local fish & chip shop in my car on the way there a message comes up on the car dash "key fob battery low change soon!" Ok i thought I'll do that tomorrow parks up outside shop gets my piping hot fish & chips car wouldn't let me back in! took emergency key out of the fob got in and dashboard reads "key fob not recognised" oh and I had no phone aswell because I forgot to take it so off I walked back home and yes you guessed right it started to rain very heavily:angry: I didn't think when that message appears it means change the battery within 15 minutes?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

43 minutes ago, moffman said:

First of all super jealous with the building of your egress but its gona look fantastic mate! But going back to your good ladies car fob (key fob in the uk) a few weeks ago I had to change mine! Just a little funny story although at the time it kinda wasn't funny:( I'd just slowly recovered from the dreaded covid and my first day I tested negative I had got my appetite back and decided to go and treat myself to fish & chips so off I go to my local fish & chip shop in my car on the way there a message comes up on the car dash "key fob battery low change soon!" Ok i thought I'll do that tomorrow parks up outside shop gets my piping hot fish & chips car wouldn't let me back in! took emergency key out of the fob got in and dashboard reads "key fob not recognised" oh and I had no phone aswell because I forgot to take it so off I walked back home and yes you guessed right it started to rain very heavily:angry: I didn't think when that message appears it means change the battery within 15 minutes?

Oh man, that sucks.  It happens to me on my daily driver, I too ignored it and sure enough the next time I tried to get onto my car fob was completely dead…. at least I was at home, so just a hassle of running a few min late to swap batteries.  It’s like I should keep a CR2023 always in the glove box and switch it out as soon as I see the error message! 

12 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Oh man, that sucks.  It happens to me on my daily driver, I too ignored it and sure enough the next time I tried to get onto my car fob was completely dead…. at least I was at home, so just a hassle of running a few min late to swap batteries.  It’s like I should keep a CR2023 always in the glove box and switch it out as soon as I see the error message! 

Mate you've just hit the nail on the headB) that is exactly what I have done a spare one is under my arm rest.......once bitten!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moffman said:

Mate you've just hit the nail on the headB) that is exactly what I have done a spare one is under my arm rest.......once bitten!!!!

I'm going to do the same!!  

• Like 1

Got my esc in the post and installed it in the xv01, had a surprisingly hard time getting the wires to fit under the cover. Also didn’t have a long enough sensor wire to run it sensored but oh well. Hopefully the weathers nice enough tomorrow to run it.

CD6414BF-0608-44D6-89D0-C3401B8AA3A9.jpeg.e293f287e2cac137508a86f55b5fbad4.jpeg

Then I came online and felt the need to order more hop ups and stuff for the tc01, almost started buying stuff for the xv 01 but I was able to resist, I’m trying to keep it stock and only upgrade if something breaks. Don’t know how long that’ll last but wish me luck :lol:

• Like 4

Looking good,  Willy:). For those of you finding the grey wheels dull and cheap looking I can give you a tip: JC Racing are now doing the Egress wheels in chrome silver. They would look superb on it. I have to say I like the grey ones in the kit as well, but it's nice to have options and a more common diameter. 

• Thanks 2

Today I took out a couple of vehicles to the local park to play the Blue GF01 and Orange QD.

The GF01 always impresses. To me it's a perfect modern Tamiya, almost zero issues, no hop ups needed (apart from copious bearings and a pinion. It's quirky and fun, but also handles quite nicely, in a way that doesn't mean  you spend 90% of the time turning it back up again.

4nIwghQ.jpg

It was able to go both ways over this rock. Widening the wheelbase allows stops it tipping over so much, which helps. Although it's now a little less wheelie prone, that's perhaps no bad thing. The wet ground and non glued tires are probably reducing the initial traction. It's not a fast truck but feels very responsive. 

QD monster truck - **** how I wish Tamiya would bring these back. With a little brushless they zip along and a brilliant pace. This is a just a  18T motor, with a 12T they are insane. With a tiny 20mm motor AA batteries work perfectly, so it's light at 1.6 kg and almost seems to float along.

GShjl0J.jpg

JwnaA2E.jpg

Wouldn't go the other way over this,  but still not too bad. It really excels in the flat and short grass and dirt. It tends to bounce over long grass (whereas the GF01 goes through it) but will get stuck on very long stuff. Rear end wants to come out under braking, but it handles nicely all the same.

pNnryWb.jpg

All in all not a bad 30 mins. I am running these in the kids outdoor water play area in my park, which is locked up and fenced off from October to May so always empty at this time, thankfully I am much taller than children, so I can hop over the fence! 

J5hRy3T.jpg

• Like 8

On 11/26/2022 at 10:53 AM, Saito2 said:

Thanks! I did manage to get a lot of mulch in my shoes though :lol:.

Every. dang. time. I go out with an RC. :lol::lol:

• Haha 2

So this morning the decals were pretty dry so did a final press down on the edges using a heat gun and trimmed off the excess where needed.  Thanks to hope, I think it turned out good.. B)

IMG_2022-11-30-093502.jpg.3bde544b11c24ef3567ce126a0fcbef7.jpg

Next up, chassis!  

IMG_2022-11-30-093757.jpg

Final update for today.. :D  So far so good.   

IMG_2022-11-30-172950.jpg.08205a5b16df20d15b2db197daf02d7c.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

So this morning the decals were pretty dry so did a final press down on the edges using a heat gun and trimmed off the excess where needed.  Thanks to hope, I think it turned out good.. B)

IMG_2022-11-30-093502.jpg.3bde544b11c24ef3567ce126a0fcbef7.jpg

Next up, chassis!  

IMG_2022-11-30-093757.jpg.33e77f018da42ac6f0626a92f1b831c9.jpg

Oh wow! Another drool machine. :D

Can't wait to see for the finished project and some pics side by side the SA.

• Like 1

Having had a great time running my TT-02B Pink Metallic Special with its not-at-all-special runner shell earlier this evening, I decided to drill my DT-01 runner shell for Grasshopper II body post locations so that I can use it on my Grasshopper II Black Edition too.

2022-11-30_08-36-23

Limited edition and rare cars are great to look at, but I don't like running them vigorously for fear of damage to the shells. Runner bodies allow me to enjoy the cars as both runners and display pieces, so I am slowly acquiring runner bodies for all of my rarer cars so that I can enjoy driving them. 

• Like 6

While trying to finish my Avante Black Special build, I decided that I would try to single-handedly jump-start the entire world's economy .  First, by spending way too much for a 2011 re-re painted body and wing complete with decals applied in box art blue. 

Then, thanks to @Andreas W, purchased yellow Egress wheels from JC Racing and kindly took warm bath in shipping costs to Japan. 

As if being squeaky clean and dry wasn't good enough for me, I pranced on over to UK Monsters and grabbed a Pro Independent Front Suspension Kit for my beloved Lunchbox.  Took another bath in shipping for good measure and cleanliness and all..

Hopefully that will get the ball rolling and keep us all afloat for 2023:P

• Like 2

Today (last night/before this morning? Between something like 3am and 530 am, i slept between 6pm and midnight so ive been up) ive built both gearboxes of a Fire Dragon chassi.

Gonna make it a Thunder Scorcher, (shot chassi+sand shell).

Now off to work.

• Like 3

Wired up the Egress black and gave some color to the driver and wheels.  The gray wheels looked incredibly cheap as is..:wacko: like a Mini-yonku wheel.. even my Gamebol's wheels are painted.. B)

IMG_2022-12-1-091415.jpg.220a4c0066373062726ee62db71ff3a2.jpg

IMG_2022-12-1-091359.jpg.323052ce8ca752c0ccf8f93b0a6a1420.jpg

Update, passed bench test, will work on the driver and tire lettering this afternoon.  :D 

IMG_2022-12-1-111406.jpg.0caf606613ff2a767ec29d2fadb75a75.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 4