Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Well, after MUCH  internal debate, measuring, and procrastination, I finally accepted that the driver for my DT03 build was not going to fit unless I trimmed the helmet.  I really didn't want to get all "evil doctor" on him, but at the end of the day, the saw won out...

CmB1mex.jpg

Touching up the paint a bit and staring at the newly made hole just left me feeling that something was missing...

Ku1YaFF.jpg

Luckily for me, my daughter saved the day by supplying some good old fashioned Play-Doh!

12U0MGG.jpg

:lol:

Form a brain from play-doh 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ordered a shorty lipo for the Jugger, that should still fit despite the many changes. And some aluminium tube for a roll cage. It's a big project but it does seem to come together.

Is @bRIBEGuy Hannibal Lecter..? :blink:  

So for me this morning, I counted how many more pieces of electronics I need to finish the first half of 2023 and found I needed 4 more 1252MG's.. also decided to swap my brushed MID to run LeMans ESC and 240S (on aluminum lower deck) so ordered those.. the 490 I take off will go on my Turbo Scorpion black version I am planning to do maybe in the Fall.

I can probably stock up on more Futaba receivers too as I know I will be getting the Kyosho 240Z in March timing, my assumption is that Kyosho will also do the 510..(?)

I should be getting my Mini-Z Evo AWD and RTR 1:10 drift car later this month.  B)

• Haha 2

What are your thoughts on the TBLE04 running BL motors?   It is quite lacking running brushed motors as far as modulation.. I am thinking about running one with an older NIB ThunderPower 17.5 on my upcoming XV02-Pro build.. or better just get a XR10 Just stock?   I have many Tamiya ESC's just tossed in a box and they are all new so thought I'd try using a couple of them.  

Your thoughts please.. TIA

Took some time to install the upgrades that arrived for my FF03 today. 

Aluminum steering 54235 + 54261 and motor mount 54223.

7lgRqMil.jpg

lGJ9Ynfl.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

What are your thoughts on the TBLE04 running BL motors?   It is quite lacking running brushed motors as far as modulation.. I am thinking about running one with an older NIB ThunderPower 17.5 on my upcoming XV02-Pro build.. or better just get a XR10 Just stock?   I have many Tamiya ESC's just tossed in a box and they are all new so thought I'd try using a couple of them.  

Your thoughts please.. TIA

I only used tble 02s (do have tble 04s for thunder dragon still in box) for my m05, but if i have a choice between that and justock, i would go with justock. (Just not a fan of tble setting ux). Also not having lipo cut off is another thing i am not a fan of)

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sogogi said:

Also not having lipo cut off is another thing i am not a fan of)

The "No LiPo" thing Tamiya insists on sticking with is maddening.  I have a couple of their ESC's just sitting round because of this.  :angry:

6 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

The "No LiPo" thing Tamiya insists on sticking with is maddening.  I have a couple of their ESC's just sitting round because of this.  :angry:

I got couple lipo voltage meter thingy just in case i want to use lipo for tble esc. I am shocked how much tble 04s is…. More expensive than xr10… (not that lots of people buy that for the price but still..)

Thanks.. yeah, I just ordered the XR10 JustStock..  If I decide to build the XV01 (bought it mainly for the body and wheels/tires for my XV02-Pro) I will try the TBLE04 on it with a 21.5 BL I have in the parts bin.. B)

I also placed orders for other stuff like paints, etc so I should be all set until Fall ..

• Like 1

Had a chance to test out hornet after installation of wheelbase extender as well as leman brushless motor.

wheelbase extender definitely seems to improve transmission slap.

Leman 240s looks like a sweet spot for my hornet. It is bit mild compared to super stock rz, but still has enough pep for sprint.  (+ for the shiny red end bell cap which adds a bling factor)

I did put more $$ to my hornet than I intended, but it is worth it. Very fun one to play with!

5DFF65B2-C8E9-41AF-92B4-B3A5221CEC84.jpeg

• Like 2

@Sogogihave you looked in to any of the mods for the Hornet rear? I've seen everything from brackets or extra shocks through to fishing line mods! For my Mario Hornet I have cut the front springs to soften a bit but still not sure which route to take with the rear...

39 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

@Sogogihave you looked in to any of the mods for the Hornet rear? I've seen everything from brackets or extra shocks through to fishing line mods! For my Mario Hornet I have cut the front springs to soften a bit but still not sure which route to take with the rear...

Haha yes! I am aware of 5th shock mod / brace mod. I didn’t want to drill a hole so I ended up getting hot racing mount which has a stiffer spring + 10mm wheelbase extension. Who knows I may do that mode in the future :)

• Thanks 1

So I learned that I enjoy some speed rather than slow crawling… because of that, decided to put back stock wheels/tires and replace cr tuned motor with sport tuned motor on my cc-01. I really like rally style cars where I can have fun speeding around offroad. (Hence my upcoming build will be tt02 rally)

I will have to test to see if sport tuned motor is way too much or not.

55595B31-5DA2-4A89-ACBB-769AD372EB8B.jpeg

• Like 1

I found this cool snap-in axle brace for my Grasshopper II Black and had a buddy whip one out for me.

TRpyfLl.jpg

ZF3mKIk.jpg

HUGE improvement! Still has articulation but doesn't slap under acceleration anymore. I don't know how this isn't included with the kit...

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/tamiya-grasshopper-2-gearbox-brace

I also installed these shocks I found on ebay. They work pretty good! I had to modify the front shocks to fit the Grasshopper II but other than that they work great. They had no oil in them so I used the Tamiya oil the kit came with and they're nice and smooth.

VlrDwwL.jpg

uRL2T8d.jpg

I just wish they were orange. Haha. 

• Like 4

Having fitted front CVDs to my XV-01 I took off the limit screws and readjusted the transmitter to increase steering throw and then ran it tonight on frozen tarmac in the dark. Frozen, the tarmac has so much more grip and this thing is transformed in tight turns. It's a joy. Sadly I have no time in this cold snap to lay out a postal track. 

I also finally plucked up the courage to paint my Lancia shell. I'm going box art. I may start the decals tomorrow. If I do, I could be done by summer. 

• Like 2

@wun1jeeI saw a brace similar to that before, glad to hear its effective. I will get hold of one.

As for shock colour; perhaps you could get some orange vinyl to wrap them?...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

12U0MGG.jpg

Ahahah amazing!! The Play Dough brained driver is by all means next level 😆👍 well done for not giving up, every buggy needs a driver and so what if his gray matter is slightly exposed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today I kept going a bit with my Kyosho build. I soldered the ESC connectors first, and then trimmed the body shell. Still a bit of sanding to do on the edges, but almost done. Hard to believe it cleared the chassis/electronics at first try, given yesterday's ESC shenanigans I was not expecting that. Also, there is more room for a driver than what I thought originally. Sorting that out will likely be next, along with finishing up the sidewall lettering on the tires.

It's slowly coming together...:wub:

20230116-180706.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Luckily for me, my daughter saved the day by supplying some good old fashioned Play-Doh!

12U0MGG.jpg

That's just brilliant! LOVE IT!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wun1jee said:

I found this cool snap-in axle brace for my Grasshopper II Black and had a buddy whip one out for me.

TRpyfLl.jpg

ZF3mKIk.jpg

HUGE improvement! Still has articulation but doesn't slap under acceleration anymore. I don't know how this isn't included with the kit...

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/tamiya-grasshopper-2-gearbox-brace

I also installed these shocks I found on ebay. They work pretty good! I had to modify the front shocks to fit the Grasshopper II but other than that they work great. They had no oil in them so I used the Tamiya oil the kit came with and they're nice and smooth.

VlrDwwL.jpg

uRL2T8d.jpg

I just wish they were orange. Haha. 

Very nice! I wish i had a 3d printer… 

• Like 2

So I started the Fantom today only to realize I made a silly mistake. I knew that these 1:12 usually run mini servos but to reconfirm how dumb I am, I confused myself and didn't even realize my mistake until I tried fitting a "low profile" 1252MG.. and facepalm.  I know what mini servos are and what low profile servos are..   so dumb.   I ordered the mini servo and so will work on the body first while I wait for its arrival.. :ph34r:

IMG_2023-1-16-232300.jpg.e4f829440d9e42d4ca89aa678da12121.jpg

IMG_2023-1-16-232227.jpg.5f5e7190e6111f88400e894f385f6529.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Sogogi said:

Very nice! I wish i had a 3d printer… 

Me too. I had access to them at work for a little while but they got moved off-site. I'm kind of waiting for one of those Makerbots to go out for obsolete and I can snatch it up. All the others I've seen require too much fiddling.

One way or another I need one of these things. 

Also, how're you liking your CC01? I want to build another one. I missed out on a sweet roller on eBay a couple days ago. My first CC01 was my very first scale truck, built (well, started..) way back in like 2009.

dlws0YS.jpg

rb3xxxS.jpg

In need of a good wash but still kicking after all these years! It's such a great chassis. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Willy iine said:

So I started the Fantom today only to realize I made a silly mistake. I knew that these 1:12 usually run mini servos but to reconfirm how dumb I am, I confused myself and didn't even realize my mistake until I tried fitting a "low profile" 1252MG.. and facepalm.  I know what mini servos are and what low profile servos are..   so dumb.   I ordered the mini servo and so will work on the body first while I wait for its arrival.. :ph34r:

Meh, these things happen to us all @Willy iine, don't sweat it bud. Are you doing box art on that beast?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Meh, these things happen to us all @Willy iine, don't sweat it bud. Are you doing box art on that beast?

Thanks.  Yeah, I completely brain farted.  :lol:

I’m going to do box art (yellow) since I want this car to represent Kyosho’s history.    B)  Good news is the servo is now shipped so I should have it in a week’s time.  

This am before heading to the office for my money making gig, I sanded the body and washed it thoroughly.   I hope to have time to paint the driver tonight.  

IMG_2023-1-17-102050.jpg.20cecab1cf1930237accc16d9b9d543d.jpg

• Like 6

Today I finally finished up my NIB EVO Christmas build and put it in the display cabinet - had to adjust the shelves as with that insano wing it's about 3cm taller than the average buggy!😆

I had the buggy all finished up about a week ago, but got as far as cutting out the undertray and then have had no time until now to get it completed. So I filed and sanded the undertray to perfection (well near as **** it!😂) and fitted it to the buggy. A quick, but careful application of the velcro body tape and a good, hot blast all over with a hair dryer to ensure full adhesion of the stickers and sort out any sneaky lifts over curved areas etc. (of which there were only two👍) and she's ready for her life behind glass...

SNKMPmh.jpeg

kIK6qt5.jpeg

Regarding the EVO Racing stickers up the side and Tamiya stickers down by the front wheel, I went with the orange and silver stickers over the chrome ones in the end. I fitted the chrome ones to one side, and they look cool, but I don't like how you can't see them half the time as they are often reflecting dark surfaces and objects around them. I also think the orange and silver work better with the overall design aesthetic.

bSFSFoa.jpeg

We've all seen an EVO plenty of times, but I'll chuck some more photos in the Gallery thread.

• Like 10