Jump to content
Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Well, the one rc thing I've done today is to realise a ****-up. I have only just learned that the RSR shell is 251mm wheelbase, so it won't go on my XV-01 or my TT-02SR. And now I have shell, some plastic parts and wheels. Quite expensive all added up. 

So I reckon I have 2 options. I could sell all those bits. Or I could keep them pending a basic TT-02 chassis sometime in the distant future. It is a gorgeous car (IMO). I went for it for a reason. 

I could get a used TT-02, but they are rarely any cheaper than the £110 ish a new RSR kit costs from TTM or Fusion. Needs bearings but there's a lot of value in wheels and shell, so it goes both ways. Either way, resulting car could be both budget rally build (maybe with a beater shell, but the cost of rallying a basic TT-02 can be very small I think) and a Porsche rally (or road) project. Hmmm. One for the future. 

Sorry to hear @BuggyDad.   Totally forgot you need to switch the rear arms around to fit the shorter wheelbase body.  Maybe get a Lancia Martini TT-02 full kit and use body on your XV-01?  Overall a full swap of bodies and chassis.

Yeah Racing also has a 2WD drift conversion kit for TT-02 allowing for much greater steering angle.  May be a good street option but you should check if it  works with the shorter wheelbase. You can let the 911rear end slide out and fish tape in corners.  Kit is pricy though.

https://hk.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-rwd-drift-performance-conversion-kit-for-tamiya-tt02-tatt-s03bu-00079874

 

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Sorry to hear @BuggyDad.   Totally forgot you need to switch the rear arms around to fit the shorter wheelbase body.  Maybe get a Lancia Martini TT-02 full kit and use body on your XV-01?  Overall a full swap of bodies and chassis.

Yeah Racing also has a 2WD drift conversion kit for TT-02 allowing for much greater steering angle.  May be a good street option but you should check if it  works with the shorter wheelbase. You can let the 911rear end slide out and fish tape in corners.  Kit is pricy though.

https://hk.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-rwd-drift-performance-conversion-kit-for-tamiya-tt02-tatt-s03bu-00079874

 

Good luck

Cheers! No worries. Its all good learning. 

As it stands I've now got a way to adjust the wheelbase of the SR, so there's an option there, but I want to try that in proper touring car guise, so will put the Porsche shell on the back burner for a bit. Then as you say, many options for tt-02 models I can steal the bodies off. Probably won't go Lancia though - I've got two! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Made it through to the other side of a Force 8. First of many (I hope) holiday shots.

JKJvCt8.jpg

Ummm @alvinlwh…. (Whisper) Your wires are showing between your wheels 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Cheers! No worries. Its all good learning. 

As it stands I've now got a way to adjust the wheelbase of the SR, so there's an option there, but I want to try that in proper touring car guise, so will put the Porsche shell on the back burner for a bit. Then as you say, many options for tt-02 models I can steal the bodies off. Probably won't go Lancia though - I've got two! 

I know what it is like to hit a brick wall when working on your car.  We have a great Tamiya Club community we have here to provide knowledge and support 🤗

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These last few days I've been working on the Optima Mid driver, cutting and snipping and cutting, just trying to make it fit. I ended up shaving off a significant amount of lexan from the original figure but I expected that from the get go, given how tight everything is in there.

The final position of driver, receiver and wires may end up shifting a few millimeters from how it looks now, but pretty much this is it. I am particularly satisfied about the driver's head finally sitting a good few mms below the canopy, therefore avoiding the parts rubbing onto each other while running. 20230121-185854.jpg

20230121-185924.jpg

Again, a lot of material had to be removed in order to get it to sit nice and comfy. I even sanded the bottom part of the driver's head in order to gain a precious extra mm. You can easily tell the bottom is way thinner than the top if you compare them below 20230121-183916.jpg

I will also have to tap another hole on the right side of the existing one on the helmet, in order for the screw head to be able to clear the belt cover. A bit finnicky, but getting there.

And look at this face! Very 😠      😁

A first for me, quite a different vibe from the forever-spaced out Tamiya driver, this one is intense 😅20230121-180239.jpg

I'll see how I feel when the time for cosmetics comes, but I might decide to try something to slightly mitigate that toughness. Nothing dramatic, just maybe a touch-up on the eyebrows and nose in order to make it look a little more like, say, Akira Kogawa, and a little less like a bloodthirsty ninja straight out of an action movie 🧐:lol: though I have to say it's kinda growing on me...

Also, I decided to rebuild the gold shocks. I can't say that they leak leak, but I still don't feel good about the slight moisture on the outer plastic ring. Might be a tell-tale sign, and in any case I demand a better result from components of such a high end kit. So, the moment i receive the green slime, I'll rebuild them again with NIP Associated O-rings and hopefully call it a day.

20230121-190003.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Kol__ I watched the RCKicks video on the Fantom thanks for the info.  I think the biggest difference is his primary objective is getting video content out quickly to his subscribers and followers on social media where as I am just a regular ol Joe building cars for my own personal enjoyment at my own pace.  I can spend 10x the time he did if I wanted to perfecting the body and no one would care.

I am sure he can do A LOT better than what he showed on that clip given he takes his time.  B) 

Yeah you may well be right mate, but if so that's a shame as the focus imo should be on the finished product being of the highest spec possible. Each to their own though, we all have our own goals and pressures etc. Od course.

I think you win hands down on time taken to do the job properly and giving it the attention to detail it deserves. Look forward to seeing the completed car bud👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ferruz said:

The final position of driver, receiver and wires may end up shifting a few millimeters from how it looks now, but pretty much this is it. I am particularly satisfied about the driver's head finally sitting a good few mms below the canopy, therefore avoiding the parts rubbing onto each other while running. 20230121-185854.jpg

20230121-185924.jpg

If this doesn't work out bud, you could always go the route of @bRIBEGuy's helmet chop/brain exposure option and leave the roof clear!😎😂

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

Yeah you may well be right mate, but if so that's a shame as the focus imo should be on the finished product being of the highest spec possible. Each to their own though, we all have our own goals and pressures etc. Od course.

I think you win hands down on time taken to do the job properly and giving it the attention to detail it deserves. Look forward to seeing the completed car bud👍

Thanks!   I posted the finished car in the galleries thread.  Please check it out when you have time. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the TS out today..

98F8AAEE-9DD9-41FD-87F9-6D014DAE24B4.jpg

I would normally be able to drive on the mud flat here but we’ve had some seriously high tides so is underwater!!

At least there’s parts that weren’t..

9A1432D1-0689-4859-8AA4-F045C50E15A0.jpg

Just love this thing, its everything I could want in a buggy for fun, with its looks, handling & character.

I did have to screw the steering rods up 2 & half times to make them shorter reducing toe-in as the inside of the front wheels rubbed on the trailing arms when on full lock with suspension compressed. With that sorted it then turned on a dime.

The suspension works beautifully, the body appears to float along on a level plane while the wheels soak up the bumps.

The MAX10 3300kv combo is plenty quick enough for me and once the VERY minor split second jitter take off from stationary has gone is very smooth.

Over the moon with this one 😁

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a wonderful very "VW" day today. Took our 1:1 '69 Beetle to a car show here today which was awesome. 350 vehicles of all Marques out in the sun and raising funds from donations for the local ambulance service. 

Came home this afternoon and thought mmmmm, I'd like to stretch my original MB's legs gently on the lawn. So I did.

Doesn't get driven often and when it does its very very gently. I reckon it looks happier now having been let out again to do what it was made to do :D

Something very cool about seeing a 37 year old classic tamiya model blatting around the garden in the afternoon sun. Classic Tamiya nostalgia at its best B)...

Also did a bit more on the wooden moulds for vacuum forming for my Kenworth W924 logging truck build which is based on a King Hauler.  I.must say, scratch building from styrene is pretty darn satisfying even if it takes a while.

Enjoy your weekend all.

Cheers

Kurt

20230122_195828.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

Took the TS out today..

98F8AAEE-9DD9-41FD-87F9-6D014DAE24B4.jpg

I would normally be able to drive on the mud flat here but we’ve had some seriously high tides so is underwater!!

At least there’s parts that weren’t..

9A1432D1-0689-4859-8AA4-F045C50E15A0.jpg

Just love this thing, its everything I could want in a buggy for fun, with its looks, handling & character.

I did have to screw the steering rods up 2 & half times to make them shorter reducing toe-in as the inside of the front wheels rubbed on the trailing arms when on full lock with suspension compressed. With that sorted it then turned on a dime.

The suspension works beautifully, the body appears to float along on a level plane while the wheels soak up the bumps.

The MAX10 3300kv combo is plenty quick enough for me and once the VERY minor split second jitter take off from stationary has gone is very smooth.

Over the moon with this one 😁

That's epic mate, great car, great place to run and cool photos too. Niiice....

Kurt

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Willsls1 said:

Did the bumper mod on my TT02B. Waiting on UJs and a Neo Scorcher body from overseas. 

 

 

20230121_213204.jpg

Interesting, what is the TT02B bumper mod? Adding a TT02 foam bumper?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beetlemankurt said:

Had a wonderful very "VW" day today. Took our 1:1 '69 Beetle to a car show here today which was awesome. 350 vehicles of all Marques out in the sun and raising funds from donations for the local ambulance service. 

Came home this afternoon and thought mmmmm, I'd like to stretch my original MB's legs gently on the lawn. So I did.

Doesn't get driven often and when it does its very very gently. I reckon it looks happier now having been let out again to do what it was made to do :D

Something very cool about seeing a 37 year old classic tamiya model blatting around the garden in the afternoon sun. Classic Tamiya nostalgia at its best B)...

Also did a bit more on the wooden moulds for vacuum forming for my Kenworth W924 logging truck build which is based on a King Hauler.  I.must say, scratch building from styrene is pretty darn satisfying even if it takes a while.

Enjoy your weekend all.

Cheers

Kurt

20230122_195828.jpg

Very jealous of your day in the 1:1 Bug 😁 Those kind of meets bring out the best in people.

The old MB looks as tidy as it’s full size cousin too.

I’ve still got this T-Shirt that I can’t bring myself to chuck out even though it’s pretty grotty now. Happy memories…

BBBAD3CA-D89E-4185-B806-D2C4BCB794FB.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@rebugged, cheers mate.

Don't throw that t-shirt out...ever! Very cool and I'm sure the 'patina' adds to its charm... Lived in London for a couple of years back in 2000 but never got to the Brighton Breeze event unforunately....did go to the Volksworld show once though which was awesome :D...

You'll be happy to know the MB was also perched proudly on the back seat in the Dub at the car show today along with my Acoms transmitter from 86. I like to take it along as it's another good conversation starter and you never know, it might get someone thinking of the Tamiyas they had BITD and bring em back to the hobby. Good times for sure.

Thanks for sharing the t-shirt pic. Good stuff.

Kurt

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Interesting, what is the TT02B bumper mod? Adding a TT02 foam bumper?

Pretty much. Have to modify the bumper holder to fit. Lotta guys on the FB group are doing it and looks pretty legit. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2023 at 12:28 AM, Ferruz said:

I found the front bonnet decals, the big ones, to be by far the hardest to apply properly. Not to freak you out, just a heads up on what I thought to be more challenging. 

Here goes nothing...... 

😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2023 at 12:28 AM, Ferruz said:

I found the front bonnet decals, the big ones, to be by far the hardest to apply properly. Not to freak you out, just a heads up on what I thought to be more challenging. 

Here goes nothing...... 

2023-01-22_09-26-32

😬

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Here goes nothing...... 

2023-01-22_09-26-32

😬

A hairdryer helps bucketloads on those ones.....good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Headlights are 3 pieces each 😢

AE2810DA-46E9-49C3-A029-8D379A68B999.jpeg.60275ac62223b61bf3fed1624608b25b.jpeg

 

I also should have installed the stripe between orange and Corsa gray before window frame trim

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2023 at 10:44 AM, Re-Bugged said:

So there I was just sitting in the hobby room checking over the Turbo Scorpion for some photos tomorrow and suddenly realise there must be something amiss with Kyosho’s spell check…

B31E2C54-5DB2-49C2-BA7B-FF109AD0AC79.jpg 

Wonder if the vintage ones are like it, or just the re-re’s?

I looked at that about 4 or 5 times thinking "I'm I missing something".......then oh yeah!:rolleyes: 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...