Jump to content
Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Today I finished putting together my M-08R chassis. I'm really looking forward to a spin with it. Can't at the moment because tyres aren't glued, and they come off just on a quick zip round the living room, and I won't glue them til I get some foams (or maybe I'll cut some out of some rally ones). 

20230131_203328 20230131_203409 20230131_193059

I think I spent as long thinking about electronics placement and wire routing as building the rest of the chassis. Why do I always do that?

Slight issue with the body is it would suit slightly bigger wheels. I'm likely to ignore this though, or at least hold off a decision til I paint. I think possibly the small wheels might help give it a bit of a period look. Ferrari Dino was early 70s.

And also a question... 

My body clips aren't going to work with the contours of the body at the back. 

20230131_211251

Can't get them in a low enough hole because of the central high area, and if I could they'd scratch the high sides that slope back from the roofline. Ideally I'd have a post at 90°, holes running front to back, but the post is not straight beneath, so I can't rotate it. I could perhaps drill a hole front to back but I'm not sure the post would be strong enough then. Maybe it would if I filled the surrounding holes with epoxy first. What would you do? Any neat solutions out there for where clips don't fit? I could drop a spare in before the clip but it'll still scratch the body I think. I suppose I could do magnets but I've drilled it now... 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also got a bit further with my first attempt at box art since 1987.

20230131_230949 20230131_231010

Just the one manual step left - all the plastic bodywork extra bits, and their decals, which isn't much. But I need a pot of semi-gloss black paint first. 

It's a marathon not a sprint, this one... 

 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Today I finished putting together my M-08R chassis. I'm really looking forward to a spin with it. Can't at the moment because tyres aren't glued, and they come off just on a quick zip round the living room, and I won't glue them til I get some foams (or maybe I'll cut some out of some rally ones). 

20230131_203328 20230131_203409 20230131_193059

I think I spent as long thinking about electronics placement and wire routing than building the w rest of the chassis. Why do I always do that?

Slight issue with the body is it would suit slightly bigger wheels. I'm likely to ignore this though, or at least hold off a decision til I paint. I think possibly the small wheels might help give it a bit of a period look. Ferrari Dino was early 70s.

And also a question... 

My body clips aren't going to work with the contours of the body at the back. 

20230131_211251

Can't get them in a low enough hole because of the central high area, and if I could they'd scratch the high sides that slope back from the roofline. Ideally I'd have a post at 90°, holes running front to back, but the post is not straight beneath, so I can't rotate it. I could perhaps drill a hole front to back but I'm not sure the post would be strong enough then. Maybe it would if I filled the surrounding holes with epoxy first. What would you do? Any neat solutions out there for where clips don't fit? I could drop a spare in before the clip but it'll still scratch the body I think. I suppose I could do magnets but I've drilled it now... 

Keep existing post for future body change, 3D print new posts with correct hole orientation?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Frankster said:

Keep existing post for future body change, 3D print new posts with correct hole orientation?

Is a good idea. Time investment required in learning to use CAD may be substantial! Unless someone's already done it... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorting screws...

Sorting screws.....

Sorting Screws.......

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

What would you do? Any neat solutions out there for where clips don't fit?

Shorten the clips by cutting the ends off with a pair of wire cutters. The bits beyond the kink around the post do ****** all anyway 🤷🏻 

Edit: oh I see what you mean, the other side of the clip will still foul on the central raised section of the body shell👎

Chassis and body look awesome btw👍😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Sorting screws...

Sorting screws.....

Sorting Screws.......

Time consuming, but satisfying, am I right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kol__ said:

Time consuming, but satisfying, am I right?

Sadly yes.  Ha ha!

Running out today to get some more parts organizers for (hopefully) the rest of them.  Managed to get 3mm Cap, Button, and Pan head machine screws sorted, so next up is self tapping and sub-3mm stuff.

Being organized is so much more work than being a lazy slob.... :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Shorten the clips by cutting the ends off with a pair of wire cutters. The bits beyond the kink around the post do ****** all anyway 🤷🏻 

Edit: oh I see what you mean, the other side of the clip will still foul on the central raised section of the body shell👎

Chassis and body look awesome btw👍😎

Cheers buddy! 

Come to think of it, I might be able to bend the curved/closed end of a clip up to clear the middle hump and snip a couple of mm off the sharp ends to avoid scratching the side vertical. Hmmmm

I might go relatively ambitious and try to mask off all the black and chrome body details. Although not Tamiya quality it is still quite a nice shell. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to start work on the Jugger's roll cage, made from 6mm aluminium tube. Never did that before so some curse words are in my future.


To help I ordered a 6mm pipe bending tool that should make that job a bit more manageable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

I might go relatively ambitious and try to mask off all the black and chrome body details. Although not Tamiya quality it is still quite a nice shell. 

jZRMSTC.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ray_ve said:

Want to start work on the Jugger's roll cage, made from 6mm aluminium tube. Never did that before so some curse words are in my future.


To help I ordered a 6mm pipe bending tool that should make that job a bit more manageable.

Cool.  It would be interesting to see how you weld the pieces together.  GL!!  

 

 

 

For me, just driving my Mini-Z EVO AWD's in between meetings and work related projects.   These cars are phenomenally fast with their 8400V motors.  Very cool.   Nice stability too especially my WRC hatch with staggered tires.  I'm going to install a front one way soon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What did I do today?    I cleaned the drool off my keyboard after viewing the upcoming BBX!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Sorting screws...

Sorting screws.....

Sorting Screws.......

Upt.....ya missed one.   Over there.   No over there.   Yeah, that's the one.  :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

jZRMSTC.gif

So... 

What paint for best attempt at chrome bumpers if applied inside lexan? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

So... 

What paint for best attempt at chrome bumpers if applied inside lexan? 

Molotow maybe? I used PS silver and it definitely didn't come out chrome!

31E64360-75AF-41FD-9A5B-9ABD87B1B39C.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put cc-01 wheels/tires.

curious to see how it performs

02E45899-6086-4A36-B34E-80A0C281DAA4.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OnTheTrail said:

I cleaned the drool off my keyboard after viewing the upcoming BBX!

Only drool?😂😂😂

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Installed the motor today, despite not having the ESC yet.

Nice fit, with a 72T Spur there is plenty of room for a bigger pinion. Currently, 60T :lol:

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Only drool?😂😂😂

Well Tamiya new releases are like internet porn.......

 

:D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Molotow maybe? I used PS silver and it definitely didn't come out chrome!

31E64360-75AF-41FD-9A5B-9ABD87B1B39C.jpg

I see a spare tire inside the window… to fit location of body to chassis?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting for 3D printed chassis to arrived.  

I asked my wife about make a “Free Candy” van from a Lunchbox.   Maybe add Mister Softee music.   She said a hard no 🙅‍♀️(we have kids and idea creeped her out).

Can anyone else make this happen?

82D9653F-7DBD-44EF-951A-FC40137F31B3.jpeg.751fbebb3088addcab78241f40ba98ee.jpeg

 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Frankster said:

I see a spare tire inside the window… to fit location of body to chassis?

Just a work in progress shot, body propped up on the tyre :D. Once I've sorted all the steering links I can fix body position and then finish off with sticker. One day...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...