Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, svenb said:

Very nice Matthew

I have a Calsonic r33 body which I think is the 58314 supplied. Looks very much like yours but with different wheels 🤔

Thanks Steve!

I'm no Nismo expert so I've found the whole Skyline body set thing a bit of a rabbit-hole TBH...particularly when it comes to finding the 'right' rims for each one (which is why I've got two sets of Skyline rims for sale on eBay right now 🙄)

From what I can tell, in layman's terms compared to the R34, the R33 has a different design around the lights and intercooler, a longer panel behind the rear arches and sits on silver Y spoke rims

That 58314 also has a different front end to the R34, and overall looks flatter...maybe a bit more squat and curvy around the front arches?

I'm probably talking absolute bobbins and a true Nissan aficionado will come along with the real detail soon, but those are the differences I can see with mine eyes 👀

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Thanks Steve!

I'm no Nismo expert so I've found the whole Skyline body set thing a bit of a rabbit-hole TBH...particularly when it comes to finding the 'right' rims for each one (which is why I've got two sets of Skyline rims for sale on eBay right now 🙄)

From what I can tell, in layman's terms compared to the R34, the R33 has a different design around the lights and intercooler, a longer panel behind the rear arches and sits on silver Y spoke rims

That 58314 also has a different front end to the R34, and overall looks flatter...maybe a bit more squat and curvy around the front arches?

I'm probably talking absolute bobbins and a true Nissan aficionado will come along with the real detail soon, but those are the differences I can see with mine eyes 👀

I bow to your superior knowledge sir.👍🏻

I only have the one Skyline body and one on the way but won't be increasing my Nissan collection.

• Like 1

Not just now buy yesterday.

Went to the park with the lady, a good book, some brews and a buggy. Eventually I summoned up the courage to run it amongst all the people -it was quite crowded- and, to my pleasant surprise, there were only cheers and no drama. Great, but I'll take an empty spot over this any day... it's just that sometimes they are not available.

20230805-190956.jpg

20230805-191049.jpg

Screenshot-20230805-191255-Video-Player.

• Like 10

Looks great @Juhunio!

For me, I started the body detail from the driver.   Will work on this some more tomorrow.   

IMG_2023-08-07-183636.jpg.7a7c3c1d82879d37e3a8d1985895cff6.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Thanks Steve!

By no means an aficionado but the R34 is easily spotted by the rear lights being two different sizes; larger diameter to the outside and smaller diameter inboard - R33 had two circles of matching diameter above a square indicator / reverse lense. 

As for wheels, proper minefield. Tamiya never made the proper Impul RS Super Cast 6-spokes from the 1999 season Calsonic, which are probably more closely resembled by the Tamiya Celica GT4 style 6-spoke rather than the TE37 style. From 2000 onwards the Calsonic team ran with a 5-spoke wheel design (Impul RS-GT), these are really close to Tamiya 53232 "One-piece Racing Spoke Wheel".

Both cars looking very cool either way. I keep thinking about doing an R32 Calsonic to accompany my HKS R32. Probably by the time I make that decision the R32 bodyset will be harder to find, usually that's how my timing works!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

By no means an aficionado but the R34 is easily spotted by the rear lights being two different sizes; larger diameter to the outside and smaller diameter inboard - R33 had two circles of matching diameter above a square indicator / reverse lense. 

Just had a look and you're right, that is a clear difference.

The R33 body set is 50740, which looks like it uses 50739 rims or the super lovely 53131 aluminium versions

That 58314 body set that @svenb has got looks different again...do you know what Skyline variant that is?

2 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Both cars looking very cool either way. I keep thinking about doing an R32 Calsonic to accompany my HKS R32. Probably by the time I make that decision the R32 bodyset will be harder to find, usually that's how my timing works!

Thanks very much 👍 The Gr.A Calsonic body set pops up on Japanese Yahoo fairly regularly for not too silly money. I've just seen an R33 set there though which was 'ouch!' money 

• Haha 1

@svenb's one is the 2001-onwards R34, which was far more aerodynamic and came after some changes in regulations in the JGTC / Super GT. The earlier cars are more closely related to their road going counterparts. Things got a bit wild after 2001... Look at the 350Z compared to the road car!

Another really cool one is the Pennzoil livery R34, which has a NASCAR-like number on the roof and is bright yellow. I wonder if MCI do the decals for that... Also was an original TA03 body I think?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Following on from an earlier post in this thread (A Tale of Two Skylines), I made a decision...to sell the finished vintage 50430 body set (now sold) and keep the other one that I had drilled for the Surikarn body posts on my TB Evo III bits-a-build. It is such a specific set up that I was unlikely to be able to sell it and there was no way I could just chuck it out, so I kind of had to make the best of it.

This meant I needed to find suitable 24mm rims for the Evo III and in the end (at least for now) I have settled on these 47302 5-spoke white rims with pre-glued tyres

spacer.png

They're not the worst match in the world for the R32 Gr.A in the short-medium term. I know there are some vintage Cross rims that will be perfect but having missed out on a set I need to wait for another to appear on the Japanese auctions 

spacer.png

spacer.png

But these look pretty good, particularly when placed side by side with my Calsonic R34 which I also just finished stickering over the weekend. Sitting on its correct 6-spoke white rims, the two make a pretty good looking pair I think

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So jealous, Im considering selling a fair few of my collection to recreate this. I think its time for my nitro’s to go. The wheels on the R32 look like the stock TT02SRX Ones

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

@svenb's one is the 2001-onwards R34, which was far more aerodynamic and came after some changes in regulations in the JGTC / Super GT. The earlier cars are more closely related to their road going counterparts. Things got a bit wild after 2001... Look at the 350Z compared to the road car!

Another really cool one is the Pennzoil livery R34, which has a NASCAR-like number on the roof and is bright yellow. I wonder if MCI do the decals for that... Also was an original TA03 body I think?

The Pennzoil R34 is also on the TL-01 I believe 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Thanks Chris, this inspired me to do a bit of reading this afternoon. I found this article to be pretty good as a 'beginner's guide'

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/03/18/rhapsody-in-blue-the-history-of-calsonic-and-nissan-racing.html

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

The wheels on the R32 look like the stock TT02SRX Ones

With added pre-printed tyre lettering 😍

• Like 1

been a while i did something. busy life and work. had to use my printer to get something printed. had purchased some vinyl sticker sheet and my gifted printer does vinyl stickers. not the best quality darkeness but it should do. i still need to resize and mess around to try and get right format  to actually print the other stickers but some stickers were still the right size. the spaceballs is or the lunch box. the manta im trying to get more centered. will have more time to mess around thursday.

a big help from yogi-bear to get the stickers to this current point and size.

manta stikercs small.jpg

• Like 3

Just agreed to buy a ULEZ compliant car, which TBH I am very cross about. 

No fun money left for 2023 now 😭

At least Tamiya are ULEZ compliant 😂

• Haha 2

Busy AF with adulting lately, so very little hobby time.  I've been chipping away with my Ozzy/Willy figure... so at least that's something.

While I removed most of the original jewellery (bracelet, sing, thumb ring), I kept the watch.  It' looks pretty good in person.... but only "okay" blown up on a computer screen:

qkFIgUf.jpg

It did get a few other minor details after that shot. 

I wasn't really into the big "Cross" necklace on the figure, but the texturing of the shirt would make it really hard to remove fully unless replaced in kind.  I started to remove it preemptively to make that discovery...ha ha ha.

tG8NgZC.jpg

I was sorta set on doing a Flava Flav style clock necklace, until I stumbled across this in my "Tamiya Spares" bin...

u8xQlo6.jpg

This hearkened back memories of when jacking car symbols to make necklaces a was a big thing, and so the new direction of the project was defined...

ToYpeaP.jpg

Nicely this plan landed bonus points from wifey who is a big "Mercedes Fan" in F1.......

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

This is the listing, and me in front of it, and the Z, and another one for good measure: https://www.nissan.co.jp/HERITAGE/DETAIL/180.html

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-09 at 10.06.39 AM.jpeg

• Like 2

More tuning on the M06 just to dial out some understeer, still a fun if ugly to look at chassis. Please don't inquire about how I have the wiring setup...

20230808_191452.jpg

• Like 4

For me, did not get much done as I had to go to the office for my money making gig today.. and this am swamped with work  :blink:

Couple more steps to go..

IMG_2023-08-08-200915.jpg.2e55990d0c639463dd1e55add1efa79c.jpg

• Like 3

I feel like I am getting closer to sorting out my M08. I just came back from a test drive and man alive is it a different car. It's smooth with a slight on power understeer. The off power direction changes are almost telepathic and the rear end only steps out on me exiting a turn if I give it way too much trigger, just as a rear wheel drive car should be. Now I feel like I could get it around a track without spinning out exiting a turn. I am slowly becoming SUPER pleased with the little thing. 

• Like 2

decided to try and place the silhouette sticker another way instead of messing around with the file for smaller size. used masking tape to hold the manta sticker on the wing. had to remove some glue from it and saw i can make the sticker ever more cleared. not sure if i damaged the ink with a bit of goo-gone but i can always reprint it if needed. the Maximal logo ended up being a bit holographic from the cleaning but that was completely expected and planned for, seriously.... my printer or the sticker sheet arent too strong so the Jawesome is a bit hidden by the blue paint. still happy with the result. the body shell isnt completely secured at the time of the photo. i made this gen2 transformer themed: Depth charge and i borrowed the catchphrase Jawsome from the old Street Sharks TV show.

complete manta ray.png

• Like 1

I haven't been posting or doing much due to a mild stomach ulcer, but thankfully it is gone now,  hopefully for good.  

In the last 2 days I have gotten back to work on my cars, I also got some stuff in the mail today;

(1) A Sandscorcher body kit, I got it cheap and it will be a spare body for the Blitzer Beetle, I will paint it matte black with an orange and blue stripe on either side.  

(2) A cheapo red wing that I got from aliexpress, I was hoping that it would look good on my Firedragon and it sure does, the red even matches the red on the Firedragon (I will have to make a bracket to attach it);
unnamed.jpg

• Like 1

Got the electrics into the Fantom chassis. Such a tight squeeze and I won’t know if the ESC power connector placement will work until I have the body post holes cut and can test the body height/position.

Kyosho Le Mans 490 brushed motor, Hobbywing 1060 Quicrun ESC, Core RC 5008 1/12th servo.

You might notice bicycle frame protection tape where the chain runs. And I have ordered velcro cable tidies to hold the battery (nimh) in place.

Finished at the weekend, hopefully.

IMG_4238.jpeg

• Like 7

Nice job @_Ben_!    On my Fantom (EXT) I used one of those micro servo's Kyosho offers for these cars.  Initially I confused myself mis-reading micro servo as a low profile servo and did not realize the mistake until I could not fit my 1252MG in there.  LOL :lol:    There was a few days delay, but at the end turned out real good.  I bought a spare servo just in case.

Speaking of 1252MG, I should be receiving one today for my WC 60th Annivarsary Ultima.  B)   I already received the receiver for it earlier in the week... just need to decide whether to run my 19x1 Chameleon from the late 90's on it, or just get an entirely new Trinity BL motor..  the issue is some motors have a hard time fitting into these cars depending on where the terminals are located.  If the take-off points are located on the face of the endbell like Tamiya's BL no issue, but I've had instances where I just could not fit some BL's on Kyosho cars.. obviously their LeMans BL fit fine.

IMG_2023-4-20-182947.jpg.921fef250ba6fc1e9bc8596a4c57127f.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Nice job @_Ben_!    On my Fantom (EXT) I used one of those micro servo's Kyosho offers for these cars.  Initially I confused myself mis-reading micro servo as a low profile servo and did not realize the mistake until I could not fit my 1252MG in there.  LOL :lol:    There was a few days delay, but at the end turned out real good.  I bought a spare servo just in case.

Speaking of 1252MG, I should be receiving one today for my WC 60th Annivarsary Ultima.  B)   I already received the receiver for it earlier in the week... just need to decide whether to run my 19x1 Chameleon from the late 90's on it, or just get an entirely new Trinity BL motor..  the issue is some motors have a hard time fitting into these cars depending on where the terminals are located.  If the take-off points are located on the face of the endbell like Tamiya's BL no issue, but I've had instances where I just could not fit some BL's on Kyosho cars.. obviously their LeMans BL fit fine.

Thanks!

Yeh, the brushed Le mans 490 only just fits in the Fantom chassis - the only orientation that works, means the motor sticker is hidden, so I had to add my own "KYOSHO" sticker to the other side of the can. Because looks matter.