Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just did some crawling, this is the only RC of mine that works in the backyard.

I also tried to rally the TL-01...had to leave quick due to weather. Nothing broke but I can't help but notice how much slower it is to my 2wd buggies.

20230904_144137.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Sogogi said:

I really do like the car a lot.. if i were to have places to run locally :(

I too wish I had a local track (or somewhere with a nice surface) I could run on instead of an ok parking lot, all the ones I found around me are dirt. There is a small indoor track but its tiny and is always setup for buggies since that's all anyone seems to race around here. I don't care to compete but would be fun to race around with some other F1 cars occasionally, assuming other people have f1 cars :lol: . They don't get much use as they're not very practical around here but I liked them enough to get them anyway :)

• Like 1

Today I made some progress on the TT-02 Rally. I removed about 90% of the stock bumper cover to make it conform to the bumper-mounted ESC. I used a hack saw, then Olfa knife, then 200/400/1000 grit. It still looked whitish after that, but I moved on.

640596244_PXL_20230905_0424584342.thumb.jpg.0b6f9985fb59cc9b0e18231004e9b635.jpg

I could not resist and grabbed an old bumper to make a test fit. This is going to be fun!

117512351_PXL_20230905_0430486502.thumb.jpg.ff6d025f8a32372150f19b638505d2e5.jpg

That chassis has a slight rear weight bias usually and this time I am hoping to get something at least around 52/48 once I am done. I admit that the previous iteration I built last year already drove very nicely (beyond my wildest expectations in fact!) but I am enjoying the experiment. Might end up reverting back to the way it was before as I sometimes have to do 😐

If I could stop procrastinating the soldering I could in theory test drive it next weekend 🙄

• Like 13

Finally hit the track after taking a break from RC. Was able to help a kid fix his TT-02B, he lost a king pin screw, good thing I had some spares with me

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12

For me today, continuing on with the Billy driver install on the Abarth.. going to start with painting the back of the seat backs and while it's drying, paint Billy himself.  The roll cage (just the rear section) has been installed on the body and looks good.. I think.   I can make the front section too, but I don't have an actual interior for the car (dash, cluster, etc) so decided to just do the mostly visible part.  B)

Then later this morning I should be getting my Mini-Z MR03EVO blue edition, so will outfit iit with the GR Supra body..  I'm pretty excited about this as my pylon test track is tiny and these Mini-Z's drive real well on it.   I am so glad I took the first 2 years breaking in the EVA foam tiles.  The tires are gripping very nicely these days.   :D 

I need to find another M-Four to mount my other MB01's Abarth body.. I have been checking out 1:1 Abarth photo's and came up with a livery I want to try..  nothing super original or anything like that, just the color coordination with decals I will make out of 3M 2080.

Anyway, I will be updating my Stories on instagram if interested.  

• Like 3

Today I fitted my new Hobbywing Max10 G2 Combo to my TT-02R and took it out for a test run using LiPo for the first time (2S).  A significant improvement over my Super Stock BZ on NIMh and I managed 45 mph before running out of road.

Max10.jpeg

45mph.jpeg

• Like 10

Congrats @Beena, on Rally Block tyres too; I bet that was a bit lively?!

How tempted are you to now try 3S? :lol:

In my experience you need twice as much space and you're much more likely to break something... but it is hilarious to overpower a car with 3S power.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

Finished my Rey. (Yes there’s Tamiya parts on it)

IMG_7367.jpeg

That looks fantastic!  Well done sir.

For me, the SBR2 is one of the most fun RC's I have ever driven.  ... nearly 150 packs on mine so it is driven a lot.

Anyway, I really like your MD livery.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Congrats @Beena, on Rally Block tyres too; I bet that was a bit lively?!

How tempted are you to now try 3S? :lol:

In my experience you need twice as much space and you're much more likely to break something... but it is hilarious to overpower a car with 3S power.

Thanks Chris.  It wasn't too bad with the rally block tyres to be honest.  The bigger problem is the road I have been using is really really dusty, as it's a single lane service road for a building site. With trucks and vans going up and down it all day I can only really use half of the single lane because there are some really gnarly cracks and bumps on one side and the other is almost sandy.  So I'm struggling with getting the power down and keeping it in a straight line because of the surface.  I think there was a bit more in the car to be honest but I ran out of road and had to brake.  Maybe a couple mph more.

I think I may have found an ideal road to try next, which is straight, wide(ish) and reasonably smooth.  I'm hoping that my memory is good on it and it's not some battered old dirt track 🤣 I'll find out later on.

3S would be insane!  It was shocking just how much more power 2S is over NIMh (the more powerful motor as well obvs).  Squeezing the trigger to slowly build speed and then gunning it at around 70% throttle and watching it take off like a scalded cat was intoxicating.  I will go 3S at some point, but I need to get a handle on 2S first, as I don't need my repair budget ballooning like my tyres now are 🤣

I have some foam tyres on wheels in the post, so the rally blocks will get a rest at some point.

• Like 1

Another dose of alloy for the C11:

2023-09-05_04-24-05

TRF main shock and RM-01 hop-up fluorine-coated alloy roll dampers.

The RM-01 only uses one of them for roll damping, but it is a tiny little lightweight 1/12 thing, so I thought the bigger, heavier Group C chassis might benefit from two. Plus I like that they are symmetrical. This prevents the pitch/roll interactions that affect some single roll damper setups, and I think it looks nice.  🙂

• Like 13

I finished installing Billy onto my Abarth.  I will be taking pictures in a bit and will try to post them here.. but if not, please check out instagram #pretendRCshop.   It turned out pretty much exactly how I hoped, so I think that is good news..  :ph34r:   Billly looks proper in the comical looking cool car. B)   I left it a very simple white/blue dark blue theme with white roll cage, white helmet, gray suit, blue gloves, and red seat back for accent which goes with the "E" decal under the front windshield.

And I could not source another M-Four.. dang it..   I may just end up making my own RWD chassis,..  2WD's are easy to make.

Update.. for some reason I can only upload the front photo.. I get the -200 error.   I deleted a few pictures so there should be sufficient memory.  Will try again later.   :(  this site really needs to get with the times.

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 2

I ordered a bunch of stuff that I "need".....LOL.  Part of me feels like it may have been a bit of retail therapy after NOT placing an order with MCI Racing over the weekend.  20% off sale.... cool!  Couple of motor stickers in cart, plus a single sticker sheet means.... WHAT!?!? $25/$35 for shipping withing Canada?  NOPE!!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Another dose of alloy for the C11:

2023-09-05_04-24-05

TRF main shock and RM-01 hop-up fluorine-coated alloy roll dampers.

The RM-01 only uses one of them for roll damping, but it is a tiny little lightweight 1/12 thing, so I thought the bigger, heavier Group C chassis might benefit from two. Plus I like that they are symmetrical. This prevents the pitch/roll interactions that affect some single roll damper setups, and I think it looks nice.  🙂

These dampers also come with the F104 ver.II and the quality is amazing. You do have to drill the head to prevent any rebound as they do not have a volume compensating bladder - unless rebound is desired on your modded chassis.

Keep the updates coming, your group C looks phenomenal and very up-to-date for a 1991 (ish?) design!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

These dampers also come with the F104 ver.II and the quality is amazing. You do have to drill the head to prevent any rebound as they do not have a volume compensating bladder - unless rebound is desired on your modded chassis.

They do indeed - that is how I got hold of these ones. They have been sitting in my spares stash ever since I upgraded to TRF shocks on my F104 V2 Pro, waiting for their time to shine, which has finally come. The heads are drilled as I have no need for rebound in this application.

I think the bladderless design of these is rather clever, as they are true constant volume dampers with seals at both ends of the oil chamber through which the piston shaft passes. As the damper is compressed, the amount of shaft entering the oil chamber is always identical to the amount of shaft leaving at the other end, so the oil chamber volume remains constant without a need for a bladder. 

• Like 1

For me, got done setting up my new Mini-Z MR03EVO with the GR Supra body and took it out for a test drive.  Very nice as expected.  :D 

Going to drive my RTR MR03 next with the MX5 (ND) body and wheels/tires.  B)

10 hours ago, IXLR8 said:

That looks fantastic!  Well done sir.

For me, the SBR2 is one of the most fun RC's I have ever driven.  ... nearly 150 packs on mine so it is driven a lot.

Anyway, I really like your MD livery.

Thanks

I did the shock oil and rear mounting position mods as shown everywhere on YouTube. Then I added my own “Tamiya” chassis stiffeners, and a lime green duel motor cooling fan.

IMG_7368.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

They do indeed - that is how I got hold of these ones. They have been sitting in my spares stash ever since I upgraded to TRF shocks on my F104 V2 Pro, waiting for their time to shine, which has finally come. The heads are drilled as I have no need for rebound in this application.

I think the bladderless design of these is rather clever, as they are true constant volume dampers with seals at both ends of the oil chamber through which the piston shaft passes. As the damper is compressed, the amount of shaft entering the oil chamber is always identical to the amount of shaft leaving at the other end, so the oil chamber volume remains constant without a need for a bladder. 

Well, I guess your Group C build pictures, combined with the Mercedes kit being available again at the same, time proved too much for me. I bought a kit this evening 🙄 and it's not even my birthday 😜

So I am embarking on the slippery slope of nostalgia, chasing the dreams of 11-years-old-me back when the kit came out.

• Like 3

I was able to get the other Abarth photos uploaded.  :D  Please check out the gallery only thread if interested.   

More pictures on Instagram.  #pretendRCshop 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Well, I guess your Group C build pictures, combined with the Mercedes kit being available again at the same, time proved too much for me. I bought a kit this evening 🙄 and it's not even my birthday 😜

So I am embarking on the slippery slope of nostalgia, chasing the dreams of 11-years-old-me back when the kit came out.

Great stuff! What are your plans for the build? Stock or modified/modernised?

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Great stuff! What are your plans for the build? Stock or modified/modernised?

Initially I was planning on sourcing a repro body of the Jaguar. But the only one available is the L&L one and the price is really steep. Also I think the C11 is really good looking and the fear that Tamiya would re-release the Jaguar anytime now is real 😅 so I'll keep the C11 for now.

As for the chassis I won't build it completely stock as this is just not my thing. At the same time given the nostalgia aspect of that project I want to keep the early 90's feel. So I think there will be minimal hop-ups. I will still use machine thread/hex screws and ball bearings. I will source black knuckles and a black diff case. And I want to make a modification to have the same length turnbuckles at the front. I have a few ideas sloshing around the back of my head for that!

This is exciting but I hope Tamiya continue making tires for it as I was hoping to run it regularly.

• Like 1

For me, taking a break today from RC just driving my Mini-Z's (on road) this morning.  :D    I need to head to the office for my money making gig later on so did not feel like starting the MX5 body.    By the time I get back I'll be too tired so I think I'm going to enjoy more Mini-Z... with my crawlers.  

Still no update on my Defender with the accessories Mini-Z 4x4.. :wacko:   Taking forever to get my hands on one..  I know they are available in the USA as Kyosho sells them directly.. my vender just needs to get their act together already.

So next up is trying to figure out the body for the MB01 (hopefully the MX5 will fit properly this time) and then work on the M06L Beetle after that.. hopefully by then I would begin seeing the WC Ultima's starting to ship..

54 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

This is exciting but I hope Tamiya continue making tires for it as I was hoping to run it regularly.

You could buy a stash of them if you are planning to drive it... like 20 sets..  Then you will never have to worry every again.. probably.  :lol:

I have over 20 full sets of wheels and PitShimizu tires for my m-chassis that are still unmounted. B)   I don't plan on running my F1 that often so I did not buy any spare tires.  It's really just display to represent that category in my pretendRCshop.

20 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

You could buy a stash of them if you are planning to drive it... like 20 sets..  Then you will never have to worry every again.. probably.  :lol:

I have over 20 full sets of wheels and PitShimizu tires for my m-chassis that are still unmounted. B)   I don't plan on running my F1 that often so I did not buy any spare tires.  It's really just display to represent that category in my pretendRCshop.

I am totally new to foam tires and my understanding is that they provide great grip at the expense of being prone to tearing and wearing out very fast. Others with more experience please chime in!

@Willy iine where I live is 20% humidity or less and hot most of the year. I am Mister Worried (in general) and Mister Worried is worried about his stash of expensive RC tires drying out and cracking, not to mention loosing their magic within the first year of storage! I know you have different views on how tires 'mature' but I have experienced quite the opposite at least on my M chassis Tamiya tires. So I make it a point not to own too many tires at any given time. I do have up to 2 sets of spares for rare/hard to find stuff like wide super slicks or wide super grip radials for the Porsche. Even that is a hassle for me as I have to remember to regularly coat them with SXT3.0. For cars that use readily available tires like Rally Blocks I try not to ever keep any spare tires but rather order one new set in the next PJ order, when needed. So the same philosophy will apply to the Group C. It would be reasonable to buy one spare set and then just hope I can still find them in the future.

I think running out of tires because you ran your car too much is a nice problem to have :D

Finally started building the BBX chassis. For some reason the project went stagnant for a few weeks, even after I did the worst part (to me) of painting.

This is where I called it quits some time after midnight, so technically still a today post!

58719 - BBX 08.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

I am totally new to foam tires and my understanding is that they provide great grip at the expense of being prone to tearing and wearing out very fast. Others with more experience please chime in!

@Willy iine where I live is 20% humidity or less and hot most of the year. I am Mister Worried (in general) and Mister Worried is worried about his stash of expensive RC tires drying out and cracking, not to mention loosing their magic within the first year of storage! I know you have different views on how tires 'mature' but I have experienced quite the opposite at least on my M chassis Tamiya tires. So I make it a point not to own too many tires at any given time. I do have up to 2 sets of spares for rare/hard to find stuff like wide super slicks or wide super grip radials for the Porsche. Even that is a hassle for me as I have to remember to regularly coat them with SXT3.0. For cars that use readily available tires like Rally Blocks I try not to ever keep any spare tires but rather order one new set in the next PJ order, when needed. So the same philosophy will apply to the Group C. It would be reasonable to buy one spare set and then just hope I can still find them in the future.

I think running out of tires because you ran your car too much is a nice problem to have :D

I can understand what you're saying.   You know what's best for you.  

I see that you're in the USA.. you have central HAVC on your house?   I keep my tires sealed (heat sealed) in a dark closet away from sunlight.  I have tires I bought over 20 yrs ago (yes, back 1999)  that are still soft and pliable, very grippy.  The PitShimizu's I have are from 2015..  I wrapped a new set on my Abarth the other day and very good grip.    The trick has been to keep it sealed in room temperature in a dark area... even place in cooler box if desired.   But this is just me.  B)

Running out of tires is an irritating problem for me.  :D    I know folks that restore vintage RC cars from like 40yrs ago.. biggest issue they encounter is tire availability.   I hoarded repo and factory originals for my M38 in a safe place.  :lol: