Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So an update on that WLtoys 12427 buggy i found in the trash.

It was indeed just a dead battery, after plugging in a working 2s lipo and putting four AA into the radio it works just fine.

And on my plan to put a Beetle shell on it?

Well i havnt ordered a lexan shell yet but i have designed/remixed and printed mounts that work with the holes on Monster/Blitzer Beetle shells.

I had to trim away the rearmost part of the roll cage, pretty much just above the spare tire holding section, to get the Beetle shell to sit right.

After that i looked around for whatever files are already available for the 12427 and found a mount for a summitlink beetle shell, the part interfacing with that shell wasnt of use to me but the bit that screws into the cage in the hood area was just the ticket for the front mount.

I took that part and remixed it, removing the body posts in the design, changing its shape, making a body post that will clamp on to my modified design, made it so that the mount will good support on the inside of the hood of the beetle shell for avoid shell flop and then printing it out. Fit and worked first try.

Then onto the rear mounts, i looked at the holes in the cage and decided on two to hold a mount, measured their distance from each other, eyeballed the post location using a reference pic of the cage, checked the width of the cage vs the width of the beetle shell and figured out how i should design it.

Also fit and worked on the first try.

All three shell mounts attach to pre existing holes in the cage where the body panels used to be located and re uses the panel screws.

I printed my mounts in relatively stiff TPU but rubbery filament, so if receiving knocks they should just bounce instead of breaking,

0DY1GrK.jpg

Files available for free here if anyone wants them:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6214765

• Like 8

More painting of bodies while doing other stuff for me, well trying to I should say.. every time I spray a coat of paint I walk away then the wind will take it and put it in the sand, or a dog runs by and knocks it over, or a dog walks by and grabs it and runs around the yard with it :lol:. Luckily I'm not putting to much effort or thought into this one so however it turns out I'll be fine with it.

Also cut out a TC01 body today, next in line for paint, certainly not one of the most fun bodies to cut out, and still need to cut out the front wheel area :(

IMG_2024.JPG.b56ea02309eee9e051bee4a1033aecdb.JPG

• Like 5

@Blissard Is that styrene?   Looks good.   Nice job.

For me I removed the front one-way out of one of my Mini-Z MR03EVO's as I could not get the rear to settle during off-throttle/turn-in even while using some super sticky tires.   Going to test drive it now.   B)

I was WFH today, but one of my money making gig projects consumed waaay too much time, so could not get to the XM1C..  I still plan to open the box and familiarize myself a bit tonight.   I had to get some fresh air so went to my local forest preserve on my ebike. 

I recently got my hands on new 3d printer a few weeks ago and decided that it was time to pickup a project I had started a while ago. This pan car chassis is one that I roughly based on the team associated rc12i and modified to fit modern components. Currently still making design changes to fix the chassis bending like a wet noodle, but I'm getting closer and closer to running it around the driveway. I've also treated my FF-01 to some new 3d printed parts that were badly cracked when I got it and it's shaping up nicely.

On a different note, I received the new body for my FF-01 in the mail last week and have the paint for it. Now I just have to wait for a free day from college work to sit down and do it.44748721_WithTires.jpg.f9deb18475f7911377fe5e2d90a67a94.jpg

• Like 7

@technics I forgot if I told you that before, but your Stratos is absolutely gorgeous. Keep up the great work, can't wait to see it finished! Very inspiring, and top choice with the Pirelli livery 👌

@Ministrone I love how your BBX turned out, one of the best looking so far in my opinion.

As for me, still on vacay for a couple more days. We went to a new beach, and I did the same thing over there. The sand was of a much finer grain, almost powdery, so the Hornet had much more traction. That enhanced both the fun and the performance.

It's hard to say if the buggy spent more time in the air on in the water... because yes, it went full on swimming for at least three more times 😅

I apologize if I'm posting too many photos, but it's so hard to choose in the heat of the moment 

20230912-003641.jpg

20230912-004559.jpg

20230912-004121.jpg

Screenshot-20230911-235014-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20230911-204834-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20230911-235240-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20230911-235635-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20230912-001346-Video-Player.

Driver Greg Martin sure had a great time out there! He somehow seems to be smiling hereScreenshot-20230912-001547-Gallery.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blissard said:

@Willy iine, Thank you! It is styrene, 2 sheets laminated. Made the lines using hobby knife and a broken wheel bit.

2.thumb.png.9785952025f744438a36ded2edd00b4c.png

Very nice design!  My designs typically look like this.. :ph34r:

IMG_2022-11-24-161738.jpg.0c14dc6f1f7744f7952d6358b0e8fed4.jpg

IMG_2022-11-24-164920.jpg.8d447cf7973658b0390fa9fff8e8b790.jpg

IMG_2022-11-26-152356.jpg.4258a8f4cfcb6ab0d7a4f8e3bbe31023.jpg

• Like 10

For me, got an opportunity from a good friend to paint him a Billy in his color choice so been working on that pretty much all morning when I could. :D 

Given the color, I am pretty sure folks can tell who it’s for.   :lol:  Anyway, I am at the office doing my money making gig for a few hours so hope to finish up real quick and continue on with the second color for his helmet.  B)

I don’t think I can finish tonight as I need to give TS a few hours to cure..  but definitely scheduled to finish and ship out tomorrow.  

• Like 2

My MK2 on test bench. Very pleased with the result:

spacer.png

One thing though regarding the servo, Its my first «expensive» Savox servo and it has fast response and good swing radius, i can already tell that this M-O8R will be My best handler on smooth tarmac (i believe that is all i will drive it on as its not only low but very «open»). The But is i can hear static sound from it and it do small stutters when i swing on test bench, when i drive though its very smooth as i wrote, is this normal?.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Blissard said:

@Willy iine, That's really clean work, makes me want to build something tubular. Did you build the snake plant too ?

Thanks!  Yes I did.  B)

I also did these plants..

IMG_2023-1-1-110129.thumb.jpg.a450f0747f4f53fb1cb60083261758c4.jpg

IMG_2023-1-6-134731.jpg.ad811d4c35487d7a93ddc5ccaf10980d.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, simalarion said:

My MK2 on test bench. Very pleased with the result:

spacer.png

One thing though regarding the servo, Its my first «expensive» Savox servo and it has fast response and good swing radius, i can already tell that this M-O8R will be My best handler on smooth tarmac (i believe that is all i will drive it on as its not only low but very «open»). The But is i can hear static sound from it and it do small stutters when i swing on test bench, when i drive though its very smooth as i wrote, is this normal?.

1252MG rocks!   :D   That and the 1251MG are my go to servos for my faster cars.   

In fact, I received my 1252MG this morning for my XM1.  

Cr tuned motor installed.

I think it works well with stock gear set. Nice slow speed and some pep when needed.

IMG_8726.jpeg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Blissard said:

@Willy iine, They look awesome! Outstanding work, and thanks for the idea. I will definitely build some myself. I have so many styrene leftovers.

Thanks and looking forward to your photos as well! B)

So I got the second color sprayed on Billy’s helmet.   B)

Finished Billy's torso and steering wheel.  Only thing left is Billy's face which I will do tomorrow morning and silver stripe the border between the blue and orange.    (photo's in my Stories on instagram)  I need the TS to cure a bit more before I commit to high strength adhesive and handling.  I gauge by whether there is lacquer smell outgassing from the surface or not.  

In the background my wife is making progress on Willy's helmet-less head.  She made 3 heads and said she wants to tweak it a bit more before handing one over to me to paint.   She said she is also making the body too, but not sure if she's just going to do that with synthetic clay all together or make a mold from that Mezco doll I use..

I also got a bunch of Mini-Z tires today and wrapped one on my Hakosuka GT-R (MR03EVO).. oh man, the car drives so well now.  :D   

On 9/12/2023 at 3:35 PM, Ziddan said:

0DY1GrK.jpg

Files available for free here if anyone wants them:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6214765

I'm impressed, I don't think I've ever seen a WLToys modified to look good like yours.

On my end, M05-1 is back together, and I might have cooked the motor in the TL01. It's an old Yokomo motor with some hard miles on it.

The M05 drives much nicer without a diff locker in it, in time the Yeah Racing shocks will need new eyelets (they're brittle).

20230913_163908.jpg

• Like 4

A couple weeks ago when I was installing the Big Bores on my M08 I managed to scratched one of the shock caps. Well that wasn't gonna fly so I called Tamiya and obtained a part number for a new set of shock caps. The maildude came today and dropped off the new shock caps along with spares in case it happens again. 

Oh, and I actually switched the scratched shock caps for the new ones. Fun little project. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rinskie said:

A couple weeks ago when I was installing the Big Bores on my M08 I managed to scratched one of the shock caps. Well that wasn't gonna fly so I called Tamiya and obtained a part number for a new set of shock caps. The maildude came today and dropped off the new shock caps along with spares in case it happens again. 

Oh, and I actually switched the scratched shock caps for the new ones. Fun little project. 

I didn't know you could get that kind of spares. Did you call "Tamiya USA"?

• Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 1:49 PM, Blissard said:

instrument panel

Are you a (aircraft) pilot by any chance? I think the car guys call it a "dash board" while pilots call it an instrument panel. 🤓

3 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Are you a (aircraft) pilot by any chance? I think the car guys call it a "dash board" while pilots call it an instrument panel. 🤓

Instrument board? Haha

6 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

I'm not a pilot, and since English is not my native language, I wasn't sure of the correct term. I thought dash referred to the plastic part that covers the instrument panel. :) 

I went fruit-bat crazy and ordered an Axial scx24. Crawler dude, huh? Oh man, those dang youtube videos ... :D

• Like 4