Jump to content
Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, JimBear said:

I went fruit-bat crazy and ordered an Axial scx24. Crawler dude, huh? Oh man, those dang youtube videos ... :D

 

Very cool.  I'm more oriented towards the Mini-Z so been playing with the Mini-Z 4x4's.  Those little crawlers became a whole lot more fun once I got my little terrain setup going (it's like a huge egg carton terrain sold by Kyosho.. pretty cheap too like $80 for 5 tiles).  It is so relaxing just to sit there and watch the little vehicles command the intense inclines and obstacles.  :D   and driving over the little bridges I made.    I plan to expand it a little more once I get settled in a bit on my road car Mini-Z's and m-chassis projects.    

Do you plan to make your own terrain or do you already have a setup/going to drive it outdoors?

 

For me, going to finish up Billy this morning and drop it off at the post office later afternoon.  He will be racing in Japan later this month so it will be fun to hear how he does.  :lol:   Besides that, going to organize my batch of Mini-Z tires and wheels I recently got and then work some more on the XM1.   I'm still on Step1..  :ph34r:

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Very cool.  I'm more oriented towards the Mini-Z so been playing with the Mini-Z 4x4's.  Those little crawlers became a whole lot more fun once I got my little terrain setup going (it's like a huge egg carton terrain sold by Kyosho.. pretty cheap too like $80 for 5 tiles).  It is so relaxing just to sit there and watch the little vehicles command the intense inclines and obstacles.  :D   and driving over the little bridges I made.    I plan to expand it a little more once I get settled in a bit on my road car Mini-Z's and m-chassis projects.    

Do you plan to make your own terrain or do you already have a setup/going to drive it outdoors?

As far as crawlers go, I am just dipping my toe in. I really like the Mini-Z idea - small spaces and being able to run indoors. I have obviously been ogling the Mini-Z Optima 4wd, but I am spreading myself (and the wallet) thin being all over the place at the moment, so that has to wait.

Partly, it was your adventures in cardboard terrain that got me going. For starters I guess it'll be outdoors, moving indoors when the weather gets less fun. I have the idea to build some portable "set pieces", to use as a puzzle. At first I was thinking of buying something, but I couldn't find the Kyosho tiles and the other options getting into the 200+ euro range is not an option. And I anyways think I might be able to cobble something up with cardboard and plaster and dirt. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blissard said:

I'm not a pilot, and since English is not my native language, I wasn't sure of the correct term. I thought dash referred to the plastic part that covers the instrument panel. :) 

It's not mine either so I could be wrong 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, JimBear said:

As far as crawlers go, I am just dipping my toe in. I really like the Mini-Z idea - small spaces and being able to run indoors. I have obviously been ogling the Mini-Z Optima 4wd, but I am spreading myself (and the wallet) thin being all over the place at the moment, so that has to wait.

Partly, it was your adventures in cardboard terrain that got me going. For starters I guess it'll be outdoors, moving indoors when the weather gets less fun. I have the idea to build some portable "set pieces", to use as a puzzle. At first I was thinking of buying something, but I couldn't find the Kyosho tiles and the other options getting into the 200+ euro range is not an option. And I anyways think I might be able to cobble something up with cardboard and plaster and dirt. :)

Sounds good!   My wife said to use chicken wire (or similar) and paper mache for my upcoming outdoor track for my future TRX4..  with enough support under the chicken wire, it should be structurally sufficient to support the vehicle weight... plus much lighter in weight than landscape stones.  Then at the end, gloss it up and then spray the surface using those stone surface sprays that make surfaces feel like rock.

I plan to set this up in my screened patio so that I have a roof over my head.  :D   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI - Tower's 4X point sale still going until tomorrow, and there's new releases that I noticed today!

I ordered up the Super Sabre, Squash Van and a Buggy Champ (All backorder status, but saved a bunch!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This morning I stopped at a park on the way to work to run my beloved RWD TT-02 Porsche on the basketball course that I know to be very grippy there.

I just transitioned to a wheel transmitter and here is why. I have Tactic TR325 receivers on all my cars. They are tiny, antenna less, use the SLT protocol that is available on my stick TX and they cost 30$ a piece. When I found that I could get another Rx with a wheel transmitter for 37$ I though I would spend that extra 7$ just to have a spare wheel TX for my kids to try RC, soon. Here's what it looks like:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/ttx300-3-channel-slt-transmitter-with-tr325-micro-receiver/TACJ0300.html

Well I still can't upload pictures 😞

But anyway, I have used it for about 3 hours now and I am feeling surprisingly happy with the wheel and trigger. I might actually continue using it and dedicate the stock transmitter to airplanes and helicopters. What surprises me the most is that such a basic Tx actually has steering EPA. It doesn't have model memory at that price point obviously but it takes me about 1min to change from one car to another, now that I got the hang of it. That's RC on the cheap! Another nice thing (personal) is the actual wheel is not too shiny-flashy-chrome-bling like the vast majority of wheel transmitters on the market.

Again, I still can't upload pictures and it's been a few weeks now, am I the only one?

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Pylon80 Good to hear you're liking your new radio!

 

As for the uploads, are you getting the -200 error?  If so, try uploading the same picture in a larger file.  It seems the site has some kind of compression software now and when the image size is too small it brings up that error..   for me, it's besides the point as my attachment memory is always at 99-100%.. :ph34r:

 

So I finished Billy this morning and picture are in my Stories on instagram if interested in seeing what he looks like.  He has a dual tone helmet and suit.  I think it turned out fine despite the shaking hand I was fighting against this morning.. seems like when I am tired I experience this off and on.  I'm also hungry.  :lol:  Time for some apple cider donuts!  :P

I'm letting him dry for another 4 hours before I pack him up and ship out today.  B)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blissard said:

@Pylon80 Do you also get -200 warning ? Simply opening my pictures in paint and saving them as jpeg worked for me. I guess it reduces the size.

I do. I could open in paint on a computer but I am too technologically inept to know how to do that from my phone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cut the Escort body for the M-08 yesterday. I still have some sanding to do,  but we are getting there. All in all this is a postal racer, so it will look good enough. I like the stance with 7mm hexes rear, 5mm front and Carten wheels with +1mm offset.

 

I got the servo (Power hd b7) the other day and it fits like a glove. 

20230914_114309.jpg

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Andreas W said:

I cut the Escort body for the M-08 yesterday. I still have some sanding to do,  but we are getting there. All in all this is a postal racer, so it will look good enough. I like the stance with 7mm hexes rear, 5mm front and Carten wheels with +1mm offset.

 

I got the servo (Power hd b7) the other day and it fits like a glove. 

20230914_114309.jpg

Looks like the rear is begging for a low profile nut ;)

Nice to see your speed demon coming alive! That's going to be fast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We started the way back towards home and opted for a small detour, in order to check out an RC shop in a nearby town.
I had no idea what I was in for, though I got a clue when I saw their shop sign outside, boasting a Super Clod Buster.

20230912-140225.jpg

Once inside, I was gobsmacked. It was like entering the Taj Mahal for the Tamiya/vintage RC enthusiast.


They had a huge stock of pretty much every current/recent release from Tamiya, Kyosho and Losi along with the usual Traxxxas, Arrma and Big Bro stuff. The Tamiya stock was especially massive: from the Grasshopper to the BBX, to a big selection of body sheels they have it all, you name it it's in there. Kits I only saw in pictures so far were all suddenly at hand's reach. This photo barely shows a fraction of it. I was gonna take more, but got overwhelmed!

20230912-141428.jpg

I got so overly stimulated that I swear I had to exit the shop for a few minutes to clear my mind! 😅 This might sound dramatic to some, if you are used to having a well stocked Hobby shop nearby, but in my context trust me, with none of it around in my area, this really was a big breath of fresh air. The guys there were cool and super into vintage RCing, I realized I was having my first real face to face RC conversation since I got back into the hobby 6 years ago (yep, that bad around my area). I even brough in my Terra Scorcher, as they were interested in seeing it. It felt so good to have real interaction for a change.

My wife was extremely supportive, and while I was disoriented she helped me navigate through the heavens without completely losing my mind :D
As by then, the undeniable reality was clear to both... there was only one way I could ever leave that place: with a new kit in my hands.
After all, this felt just right: as a wise TC member said a while ago, money spent on RC while on vacation doesn't count (thank you @Re-Bugged 😉👍).

So back to feeling overstimulated. How are you supposed to function properly when every kit you've dreamed of is there, in front of your very eyes and at the same time?
This is loosely my wishlist, in no specific order:
-Kyosho Turbo Optima
-Tomahawk
-Scorpion
-Fantom EP
-Tamiya BBX
-Mercedes Benz C11
-Lancia 037 Rally
-Ford Capri TT02

Every one of those was available. While trying to decide, my wife pitched in with her two cents reminding me that I've been also wanting something monster truck oriented in order to finally give a break to my trusty Big Boss. She had a point there. I noticed that I tend to be very careful when running my newer, more detailed builds, so I'd love something that is purely fun oriented for a change. I was considering all this when we laid our eyes on the Kyosho Mad Van, and I guess it was love at first sight. So nevermind the wishlist, we left that shop with this huge box and a lot of excitement for the new purchase!

20230914-115015.jpg

It had to be purple, as it's my lady's favourite colour and she helped me a lot with the decision. It feels good that we chose it together. That shell is gorgeous and I'll probably have to get a basher one now, in order to preserve it. The kit was also good value for the price, as it comes with full electronics and a remote. Only dull point is it's RTR, but it's ok for me, I don't mind too much as I know I'll be taking it apart sooner or later as I do with all the other cars.
Can't wait now to detail it a bit with my -wife's:ph34r: - personal taste, and most of all can't wait to go run it!

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ferruz - how cool is that ... :) Just noted that there is a lot of Kyosho in that wish list ... I guess I would be as lost as you, having so many wonderful choices. :D

I hope you'll get a lot of fun with the Mad Van!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the look of the TT02D Z Tune R34 GTR Nismo. But I dont need the car so a whilw back I bought the shell from TTP with the intention of painting it Blue. But silver grew on me so I went box art. Over the passed few evenings I got this done. Far from perfect but.

 

juSvh4h.jpeg

 

Ive got some kit TT02R Black wheels which will look good, and Im just going to find a cheap Tamiya Roller to put it on. Im watching a few on eBay or I might wait try and find something a bit different like a TA04 or something

 

What really threw me out. PRE CUT DECALS!!! I Didnt know Tamiya had that in their locker, I actually cut the first few out haha

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ferruz said:

We started the way back towards home and opted for a small detour, in order to check out an RC shop in a nearby town.
I had no idea what I was in for, though I got a clue when I saw their shop sign outside, boasting a Super Clod Buster.

20230912-140225.jpg

Once inside, I was gobsmacked. It was like entering the Taj Mahal for the Tamiya/vintage RC enthusiast.


They had a huge stock of pretty much every current/recent release from Tamiya, Kyosho and Losi along with the usual Traxxxas, Arrma and Big Bro stuff. The Tamiya stock was especially massive: from the Grasshopper to the BBX, to a big selection of body sheels they have it all, you name it it's in there. Kits I only saw in pictures so far were all suddenly at hand's reach. This photo barely shows a fraction of it. I was gonna take more, but got overwhelmed!

20230912-141428.jpg

I got so overly stimulated that I swear I had to exit the shop for a few minutes to clear my mind! 😅 This might sound dramatic to some, if you are used to having a well stocked Hobby shop nearby, but in my context trust me, with none of it around in my area, this really was a big breath of fresh air. The guys there were cool and super into vintage RCing, I realized I was having my first real face to face RC conversation since I got back into the hobby 6 years ago (yep, that bad around my area). I even brough in my Terra Scorcher, as they were interested in seeing it. It felt so good to have real interaction for a change.

My wife was extremely supportive, and while I was disoriented she helped me navigate through the heavens without completely losing my mind :D
As by then, the undeniable reality was clear to both... there was only one way I could ever leave that place: with a new kit in my hands.
After all, this felt just right: as a wise TC member said a while ago, money spent on RC while on vacation doesn't count (thank you @Re-Bugged 😉👍).

So back to feeling overstimulated. How are you supposed to function properly when every kit you've dreamed of is there, in front of your very eyes and at the same time?
This is loosely my wishlist, in no specific order:
-Kyosho Turbo Optima
-Tomahawk
-Scorpion
-Fantom EP
-Tamiya BBX
-Mercedes Benz C11
-Lancia 037 Rally
-Ford Capri TT02

Every one of those was available. While trying to decide, my wife pitched in with her two cents reminding me that I've been also wanting something monster truck oriented in order to finally give a break to my trusty Big Boss. She had a point there. I noticed that I tend to be very careful when running my newer, more detailed builds, so I'd love something that is purely fun oriented for a change. I was considering all this when we laid our eyes on the Kyosho Mad Van, and I guess it was love at first sight. So nevermind the wishlist, we left that shop with this huge box and a lot of excitement for the new purchase!

20230914-115015.jpg

It had to be purple, as it's my lady's favourite colour and she helped me a lot with the decision. It feels good that we chose it together. That shell is gorgeous and I'll probably have to get a basher one now, in order to preserve it. The kit was also good value for the price, as it comes with full electronics and a remote. Only dull point is it's RTR, but it's ok for me, I don't mind too much as I know I'll be taking it apart sooner or later as I do with all the other cars.
Can't wait now to detail it a bit with my -wife's:ph34r: - personal taste, and most of all can't wait to go run it!

MAD VAN! 

 

Hubba hubba. ❤️❤️

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice @Ferruz!!! 

 

For me, shipped out Billy for his race in Japan. :D  Hope he does well.  Now going to do some work on the house and then work on my XM1.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ferruz if i was about to buy a RTR it would be MadVan as well, but i must add watching all your pictures and reading you're stories i cant help thinking a BBX with your own paint theme would be right up your alley. 

But for Sure the MadVan will blast the badword out off the locations you usually drive (most off all the beach), looking forward to the pictures :)

Edit: oh and great location you found there, my wallet would also catch  🔥 for sure

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More work on my Malcolm Wilson Total Escort this evening. Got one side and the front done. Off side needs decals...

53188098858_f7fa5a5e90_k.jpg

 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Again, I still can't upload pictures and it's been a few weeks now, am I the only one?

 

Are you on TC Photos? Because my TC Photo account is doing odd things lately. It won’t sign in properly so I can’t upload either. 
My technology tolerance threshold well and truly breached recently with all the new micro chips I now have to contend with at work in a Truck with so so many false alarms it takes everything I’ve got not to put a hammer to them.

I’m just using my old Imgur account for now for sanity’s sake posting pictures. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Willy iine said:

For me, shipped out Billy for his race in Japan. :D  Hope he does well. 

That’s awesome 😎😂 Go Billy!!!!

Will there be some ‘Billy World Tour’ T-Shirts available for support with him printed on it?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

That’s awesome 😎😂 Go Billy!!!!

Will there be some ‘Billy World Tour’ T-Shirts available for support with him printed on it?

Hahaha!  Thanks @Re-Bugged.   :lol:

Once the new owner posts up info about where Billy is heading publically, I will post up links.  :D    Should be fun.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad I could help Mr @Ferruz 😁

My word, what a find that place is, I hope you warned them of a very full inbox of enquiries once the secrets out.

I know exactly where you’re coming from being overwhelmed, as there’s nothing remotely close to that here either. Even the big city shops aren’t as well stocked as that. That’s my kind of holiday now 👍🏻 My (now favourite) nephew is living on Vancouver Island so that would be a perfect excuse to visit Canada again 😄

Love the Mad Van what a great souvenir for the trip, great wife too. I’m sure you going to have fun with it.

Just a couple of things I did with mine was add a bit more grease to the Spur/pinion, which is easy done. And the back corner of the body split a bit after a mishap, so I’d recommend reinforcing them with a bit of self adhesive mesh and some Shoe Goo as it’s been fine since.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Another nice thing (personal) is the actual wheel is not too shiny-flashy-chrome-bling like the vast majority of wheel transmitters on the market. 

 

Hey hey hey now...the flashy chrome wheel on my Sanwa is classy and tasteful! 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...