Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I'm sure that a garden track can be made to look somewhat like a scenic garden path with some clever planning and use of decorative plants. Could be a fun project!

Yeah, I was looking at my backyard landscaping this morning with the flower beds and all, and I was imagining a 3ft width brick walkway around the flower beds, and around the entire perimeter .. as long as there is no actual dirt showing (like a bare spot in the grass) I think I can make it look real nice while still keeping a yard-like appearance.. (?)   I don't want to dig up the grass as it's a low point of our property where rain water tends to collect and always moist... I need to keep drainage in mind so that I do not end up with a puddle.   :wacko:   .. or make a small koi pond since I already have a cherry blossom tree planted..?  oh man.. let's not go there as we will start talking about rock beds and making a crawler course next to it... lol

But that amount of brick laying might cost upwards $10-15K.. I will need to check with my landscape guy as he also does brick work.  I am sure he will be totally confused as to why a normal person would want to do this to his back yard... then 9 years later tell him to strip it all away.   :lol:   He might tell me to go with gravel instead..

• Like 1

Tamiya Taiwan told me just now on instagram that a I am a mook.  :lol:   haha.  Very precise evaluations!  👍

Well, I'd like to say it with Bob Ross: "We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents." Painting of my Škoda 130RS is done.

Side note: The quality of the body is far from Tamiya and it came without stickers / decals. But I'm glad I found a body of an older Škoda at all.

PXL_20231025_184149186.jpg

PXL_20231025_184226291.jpg

PXL_20231025_184138798.jpg

PXL_20231025_183937463.jpg

PXL_20231025_183609978.jpg

• Like 10

I forget who it was, but a member on here mentioned something about using screws and washers to protect the lower eyelets, vs the gold ball connectors.

Might be useful to anyone running "nicer" shocks, I like them because it means less of me my prying shocks off to change springs!

20231025_145403.jpg

• Like 1

For me, drove my M01 with Monte Carlo  Mini Cooper body after work.  B)  Considering how Tamiya was able to make a front/rear reversible car back 30 years ago (?) successfully, the MB01 is quite sub-par.

The M01 drove around my tiny pylon test track no problem (without any TDK, just used the stock treaded 55D tires) and it was actually fun to drive.  👍

• Like 1

I painted two bodies yesterday and was planning on painting two more today, but started to rain halfway through painting one of them :(. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish them up, will post pics after I sticker them all.

• Like 3

The Sand Hopper chassis is finished now.
The front body mount took a while but it's working good now, it's a lunchbox mount joined to a plastic stalk and mounted on a metal bracket and is adjustable by adding plastic washers.   All the mods are reversible.  
I also did the servo horn mod for the battery door, 
because it's a Grasshopper I've decided to paint the body green.  :)   It runs nicely too.  

sand hopper chassis (1).JPG

sand hopper chassis (3).JPG

sand hopper chassis (5).JPG

sand hopper chassis (6).JPG

sand hopper chassis (7).JPG

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Pizza Frog said:

The Sand Hopper chassis is finished now.
The front body mount took a while but it's working good now, it's a lunchbox mount joined to a plastic stalk and mounted on a metal bracket and is adjustable by adding plastic washers.   All the mods are reversible.  
I also did the servo horn mod for the battery door, 
because it's a Grasshopper I've decided to paint the body green.  :)   It runs nicely too.  

sand hopper chassis (6).JPG

I never knew of that servo horn mod, do you plan on adding a driver?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

I never knew of that servo horn mod, do you plan on adding a driver?

It will get a driver
My old Hornet used to drag it's battery so I did some reading and found out about the mod, the servo horn is attached with a 3x18 tapping screw which seems to be about the right length.    

• Like 1

Painted my BBX. Can’t wait to complete it. Backed the red with silver and black. But darkened a bit too much. Let’s see when finished.

IMG_0700.jpeg

• Like 10

Nice job @Pizza Frog!!   👍 and I bet it drives 10x better than the SRV's.  :D 

For me today my XM1S #3 m-chassis electronics are arriving (1252MG, XR10 Justock 21.5 BL combo, and 25.5 BL to try), so going to work on changing one of my Billy helmet from gunmetal to racing white to start preparing for the build.  For some reason I now have this fixation with racing white helmets on my on-road Billy's.  :lol:  He just looks so simple and yet very cool inside the cockpit covered by bright livery.

I am also going to swap headlights on my Beetle #2.. I painted the entire lamp semi-gloss black and was hoping the decal would bring out more a tinted glass headlight look, but it ended up looking like shrimp eyeballs :ph34r: so redoing it with a fresh headlight and decal.  I wanted to get a spare bumper set anyway (part of the j-parts tree with headlights and bumpers, etc) as I wanted to cut the top portion of the bumpers to see if I can make a standard low profile bumper for Beetle #3 powered by XM1S with 239mm conversion.  It's going to be awesome.. with hope. :ph34r:

IMG_2023-10-16-173646.jpg.1a152ace71e925255d43984f6cad0155.jpg

• Like 12

I found some reasonably priced low friction TT02 suspension balls, so I ordered a set and threw them into the MB01. They do help reduce the play a bit.

I also opened up the WPL and discovered that the last postal race cracked a gear, so I have metal replacements on the way.

• Like 2

For me, was able to finish the Beetle's headlights (looks good) and new bumpers with the simple design.   The bumpers took a while to fill the holes and putty it, but it turned out okay.  Also repainted Billy's helmet and most of his body.  Will finish tomorrow.  :D 

• Like 3

Best life includes a fresh blade each lexan. The blade itself is totally good afterwards but the tip… it’s nice to have a great tip 😁. Decided to start timing projects, the golf will be the first.

To me the mk2 golf needs the quad headlamps. Without it I feel it looks like “euro tuner” and too empty. The mk1 has great single pod headlamps already.. will attempt to pull off fixing this.

Tw59xO8.jpg

dGVdhCL.jpg

Y3OWhVU.jpg

CkO65Xa.jpg

lzW5fgM.jpg

• Like 6

@technics  If I was to do it, I would make an entirely new grill out of styrene.   Wouldn't be difficult to do as it's mostly flat and basic shapes.   GL with your approach!  👍    

I will be making a new rear wing for Beetle #3 for sure..  :D   I think I found the colors I am going with..

For me going to swap back the LM's to Tamiya's white wheels on Beetle #2, heat treat the headlamp decals one more time, then finish Billy and perhaps start on the seat back for Beetle #3.  I will also paint the headlamp pair I took off Beetle #2 and paint it gunmetal/silver gradation to see if I can make them look a little better than shrimp eyeballs.. :blink:  wish me hope.. :ph34r: 

• Like 2

Spurred on after seeing what a great job @Eric_N did.

Bodyshell was painted some months ago but I kept putting it off due to decals. I have to say its a challenging job with 100+ decals to fit :(. Glad its now finished.

3GFN19d - Imgur [800x600].jpg

• Like 9

After over 3 years I finally managed to finish the DF01/DB01 Frankenstein Top Force. What a great day and very satisfying to complete such a long project.

IMG_20231027_140120 Kopie.jpg

IMG_20231027_140212 Kopie.jpg

• Like 10

Finally got the cougar body painted and on, was going to go box art but instead went with whatever colors I had on hand and whatever design I came up with in the moment. Not perfect but I’m happy with it, still undecided if I’ll put any of the stickers though. It’s PS-52 Champagne Gold Anodized Aluminum and PS-49 Sky Blue Anodized Aluminum.

E3869CD9-2595-4A51-AF06-52617145992F.jpeg.1b1cb31f8fb30a60bb47ccad8b109fb3.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tobyone said:

Spurred on after seeing what a great job @Eric_N did.

Bodyshell was painted some months ago but I kept putting it off due to decals. I have to say its a challenging job with 100+ decals to fit :(. Glad its now finished.

3GFN19d - Imgur [800x600].jpg

Looks great! I’ve been wanting this body since release but keep putting off buying it because of the decals :lol:. Went through that nightmare once before with the old version, and even though I really want to do an alternate color version I’ve been avoiding painting the second body I have for a couple years now I think :(, it’s probably not as bad as I remember but I remember it seemed like the decals would never end.

3A62FBC2-5839-4DF9-802C-0A7BEECC6505.jpeg.2ed8b8be3ccde385f5dc46a5f9bf1cc5.jpeg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, ImALlama said:

Looks great! I’ve been wanting this body since release but keep putting off buying it because of the decals :lol:. Went through that nightmare once before with the old version, and even though I really want to do an alternate color version I’ve been avoiding painting the second body I have for a couple years now I think :(, it’s probably not as bad as I remember but I remember it seemed like the decals would never end.

3A62FBC2-5839-4DF9-802C-0A7BEECC6505.jpeg.2ed8b8be3ccde385f5dc46a5f9bf1cc5.jpeg

Wheels look nice… mind asking what those wheels are?

On 10/19/2023 at 8:20 PM, Re-Bugged said:

Reached a crucial stage in the manual today, the bit where coffee and a croissant is required while pondering electronics install....

QCcmwan.jpg

First thing to consider is the SPT servo sits a bit high off the mounts by a few mm's. Spacers are provided if you intend to use a standard size servo, but I'm not. As luck would have it there are 4 unused swing arm spacers on sprue A that will work perfectly, result there.

The next consideration is the motor wires, I'm trying to make this as tidy as possible for a change instead of 'bunging' it all in because I don't think @Nicadraus will be passing by my front door any time soon to demonstrate one of his clinical picture perfect install's for me 😉.

So I'm thinking of Velco'ing the ESC down to aid easier changing of pinions if need be as the ESC sits right in front of the motor adjusting screws and the wires will pass over the spur cover getting in the way as well.

Job for the weekend after another coffee I think...

Vegemite? :D

I placed an order for a TT02R and a Subie Impreza body. We shall see how I get along with it but I am excited now! 

• Like 5