Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

just after I posted my last update the doorbell rang and it was the postman with my servo!

So my lovely Egress is now finished (bar the still undecided window tint and the tyre lettering)

Oh, I forgot - there is one more upgrade I made which was alloy servo posts.

IMG_2590 IMG_2587 IMG_2586

While I was out in the garage I was looking for my turnbuckle wrench (if anyone has seen it, could they please let me know because I can't find it anywhere) and rummaging through my kit boxes I unearthed this beauty:

IMG_2595 IMG_2594 IMG_2593 IMG_2591

I'd forgotten just what a gorgeous chassis this is. I really need to get the body finished for this!!

• Like 13

It's not flash but I gave my DT-03 new wheels and got the wing mount fixed on tightly. It's definitely not the weather to run it at the moment though. The old CVD grub screws keep coming loose now and their pins and cups are worn. I think I need to strip them again and give all the bits an ultrasonic bath or something, to get the grub screws to stay tight. Maybe threadlock too? 

20231102_131937

Also trying out an aftermarket (FRP?) bumper.

And this arrived, for a build with some ideas a bit out of the left field, no idea whether they'll work or not:

20231102_131347

• Like 4

Just a note that Kyosho America just got inventory of Scorpion, Turbo Scorpion, Tomahawk, and the Beetle.  (just posted on Instagram a few moments ago). 👍

I have to say the Beetle is a fantastic car.   This car drives so nicely for in front of my house bashing.

IMG_2023-7-11-153418.jpg.c3f36839c6fa0d087121943c2c3e3a36.jpg

• Like 10

So that leaves me looking like this from a Tamiya point of view. Ignore the TRX4, that will move to the Traxxas shelving when space allows....

ryQzONr.jpeg

it upsets me the TA-04 Loctite GTR is a new in box..... I really want to build it and get it dispalyed next to the Xanavi..... but thats kinda taboo! Also have an Avante Black NIB thats not in the pic....

Getting there :)

• Like 14

A nice couple of hours supervising my 10 year old working on his DT-03. Very wet half term holiday. We opened up the gearbox to stiffen up the diff, fitted some CVDs and new toed in uprights, so it's nice and tight now and should drive more like mine, which is much easier to control. And we got geeky (for a 10yo) about different kinds of suspension. Hopefully tomorrow we might rebuild the shocks. Or maybe just rag our cars about the woods and try not to lose any wheelnuts. 

2023-11-02_06-55-27

Anyway, it gives me great pleasure to see him get a bit mechanical.

He's of the opinion my new sticky-out bumper is going to snap in a heartbeat. He may have a point. 

He's also getting into trains but oh my is Hornby expensive! 

• Like 13

On 11/1/2023 at 2:16 PM, BuggyDad said:

If the servo saver isn't some proprietary part and a fairly standard one would do, it isn't something I'd consider 3d printing for. I'd just buy something suitable. 

yeah, i need to check the specs i need and see if any ready made part. the person i know has a 3d printer but in resin, so not suitable to RC purposes.

For me, I finished painting the main body and the vertical side section of the rear wing of my JJ WC Ultima.  I applied the decals only to keep missing the critical points of positioning.  Not sure WTFunny with this car and me, but I keep running into issues.   It looks okay and will finish it tomorrow, but I decided to redo the body in its entirely since it's a special edition car.

Photos in my Stories if interested... my mistakes for kicks and giggles. :D   I don't care any more.   I can't wait for my XM1S to arrive.  

• Sad 1

i watched this video:

I have quite a few other RadioMaster transmitters, and all of them (and a couple others) run EdgeTX.   I like the way the opensource firmware (ERSkyTX, OpenTX, EdgeTX) work on a bunch of my stick style radios.

Worked on the body placement and stance. Happy to say I made my second ever styrene object and it is the horizontal lower grill insert / block off area. Not much but it adds a bit of detail and is a milestone for me most imporantly.

Also trying out two small manufactuers wheels, the ronals I have begun blasting in a black basecoat before a gentle build up of shiny final layers. Never tried this before either! 

The Steelies came this great colour already.

rXNAetK.jpg

0HHU3AH.jpg

EN3Um3B.jpg

OPnXDn4.jpg

jdl33N2.jpg

IwQ1HHm.jpg

• Like 12

21 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

just after I posted my last update the doorbell rang and it was the postman with my servo!

So my lovely Egress is now finished (bar the still undecided window tint and the tyre lettering)

Oh, I forgot - there is one more upgrade I made which was alloy servo posts.

IMG_2586

Such a beautiful car!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:blink: So continuing on with my doomed JJ WC Ultima body, finished painting the center section of the wing this morning.  And luck just needed to drop another chuckle into my painting process causing a light smear (big lint fell, lightly sanded to remove lint only to find my sanding sponge was contaminated with prior light colored paint that I did not see until after I added another layer) that is visible from the front.    I don't know what it is with this car, things just do not fall into place.  I mean for most folks that drive these cars this is probably well within acceptable limits and I am exaggerating, but mine is supposed to be a representation of JJ's car in my pretendRCshop..  this is not a representation of my work.  :wacko:

I hope the replacement body arrives ASAP!  I need to get this fixed.    I will say that the actual car looks 10x better in person than the photos you see online.    Some cars have a hard time with attractive photo angles and this is one of them.  

Besides this fiasco I created, I am expecting my XM1S to arrive today, so I will work on the chassis over the weekend. :D   I think I'm going to paint Beetle#3 in a single yellow/orange color.. with black bumpers and trims it should look good.. I hope.  :ph34r:

Working today, but got outside on my lunch break (i'm at home) to spend a few mins driving the TT02 Lancia round some cones on the drive. I'm still very new to the hobby, so have had very little practice at controlling a car.

I'm using a wheel tx, but can't help thinking i'd be better with a stick as I grew up with SNES, Playstations, etc and still play with a PS4 and Switch now.

• Like 1

So I received the XM1S and the 239mm conversion kit..  man, I did not realize but the conversion decks are CF!   woot. :D   Now this just made my day as I thought I was getting FRP..which was fine, but CF is a pleasant surprise.   👍

Going to go finish my JJ WC Ultima now..  well, at least the Take1 version.  Take2 version shipped so should have it by next weekend.  

9 hours ago, technics said:

Worked on the body placement and stance. Happy to say I made my second ever styrene object and it is the horizontal lower grill insert / block off area. Not much but it adds a bit of detail and is a milestone for me most imporantly.

Also trying out two small manufactuers wheels, the ronals I have begun blasting in a black basecoat before a gentle build up of shiny final layers. Never tried this before either! 

The Steelies came this great colour already.

0HHU3AH.jpg

Wow @technics, great minds think alike!

I'm literally working on the same body and have purchased the same wheels (both RC Legends Ronals and the SURGING RC ones!)

Mad how similar we are thinking. Almost spooky, as I've never seen your previous posts about this car (if you have posted anything!) :lol:

The only thing I do have experience of is that Fastrax paint. It's really not great <_<

I did the window surrounds and bumper sections on this Ferrari:

51206437132_2023ab694d_b.jpg

It's definitely more shiny than metallic silver, but I was expecting Chrome and I was disappointed.

I did some research and found a colour I'd never heard of - Tamiya TS-83. No first-hand experience yet (I'm still recovering from paying £12 for it!) but the results online look really, really good:

997b829bb6b9944090145181b3368d37

• Like 4

@ChrisRx718 Wow great haha! Haha yes I made a breif post or two on this daily thread.

I bought those surging wheels back in 2020/2021 for a Toyota Vitz project I haven’t finished. I have only opened them today they are perfection for 90s and earlier cars.. The fastrax paint was the first thing I found chromish in a rattlecan. I will not use it on lexan just on the Ronals, I learnt Tamiya has a paint also that mimics chrome same one you mentioned a few days after I bought this. I am going through the process of elimination so I’ll try this first. So far the tests of the paint applied over black it looks good / fine no complaints imo. It’s not a mirror of course, and actually I don’t prefer a perfect mirror chrome look more as shiny as possible is the goal.

Really rough test shot below , two black coats two chrome.

My goal for the project is the main inspiration image seen below. Happy Friday! 

PDeWqT6.jpg

UH61MEi.jpg

lzW5fgM.jpg

• Like 6

I finished the JJ WC Ultima and posted in the gallery only thread (and below).  I have another picture I wanted to post, but out of attachment memory..  more photos posted on instagram #pretendRCshop.  Please check it out if interested.  B)

My car looks fine, I think, to most people..  the main areas I will fix on the redo is the front body post hole location along with the tower openings, and 2 decal positions.   Otherwise the car looks pretty much the way it should.  Again the car looks so good in person it's a shame I can't take better photos of it..

IMG_2023-11-03-142434.jpg.1fabee1eee85bb2082134e0b29f5c263.jpg

• Like 6

My transmitter got a new steering wheel. It is a little wider than the original and fits very well. Now I can better distinguish it from my second one. After all, I dedicated 5 minutes to my hobby today. 🙂

PXL_20231103_175338914.jpg

• Like 2

@Ferruz I saw a post on instagram by TamiyaUSA that they released a rally chassis cover for the TT02.  PN: 22023. 

Not sure if this product has been around, but just thought of you when I saw that post. :D 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@Ferruz I saw a post on instagram by TamiyaUSA that they released a rally chassis cover for the TT02.  PN: 22023. 

Not sure if this product has been around, but just thought of you when I saw that post. :D 

Was originally released some time ago i think on the TT02FT chassis👍

It fits really well too.

Finally got round to fitting a magnifying lamp onto my work bench. Getting to that age now where I need a little help painting driver figure details....

l9gcTUD.jpg

Dyht6ZU.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, toyolien said:

Finally got round to fitting a magnifying lamp onto my work bench. Getting to that age now where I need a little help painting driver figure details....

I swear I was ok until the optician suggested I was at an age where my near vision was going to be impacted. Since that day, I can't see a thing...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, naturbo2000 said:

I swear I was ok until the optician suggested I was at an age where my near vision was going to be impacted. Since that day, I can't see a thing...

Yep same here. My eye sight is fine but it takes a little longer for my eyes to focus close up....

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Yep same here. My eye sight is fine but it takes a little longer for my eyes to focus close up....

I started wearing reading glasses 4 years ago as I realised I was struggling with tyre lettering, and now that I use glasses my eye sight has gone downhill rapidly!

I can’t read menus or labels when we are out and about 🙁

• Like 4

I too can't read menus nor receipt either, especially in darker restaurants.   My vision lost of a lot of contrast too.. I can't see black screws over black chassis unless it is under intense lighting.   I must use the magnifying LED lamp while working on Mini-Z's for sure..

Where I thought my lights in the room were sufficiently bright 10+yrs ago, I think it's kind of dark these days..  but I am happy that I got most of the cars I wanted in my pretendRCshop so new builds will be less and less from this point forward.

What I like about working with styrene is it is white in material so I can see pretty well, and if things do not fit I can reshape it so it does.  B)   One of the main reasons why I don't go into detailed designing as it won't matter at the end.  I will just make bits fit.

IMG_2022-12-29-210949.jpg.97d45a628b4c554ead44ae36f9b61bce.jpg

IMG_2023-1-3-213558.jpg.50226a2a01cb08db6fbd477a28d0ba57.jpg

• Like 6

For me today, going to work on my XM1S to the point I am ready for electronics.   B)

.. I also need to knock down a huge birds nest in my magnolia tree.. :blink: :lol: