Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Picked up some old Tamiya shock oil, it'd be nice if the other brands sold shock oils in bundles like this, vs having to buy each one seperate.

20231104_111703.jpg

21 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Ferruz I saw a post on instagram by TamiyaUSA that they released a rally chassis cover for the TT02.  PN: 22023. 

Not sure if this product has been around, but just thought of you when I saw that post. :D 

Thank you Willy iine for thinking of me 🙂 I am sure intrested, I was looking for one! 

Man, that serial number PN: 22023... I can't help but notice, it is eerily almost identical to the license plate of my old beloved Fiat 500 from 1971 !!! Despite me living in another continent and not having driven it for the past 10 years, I managed to somehow hold on to that car ... until last week, that is 😖😓😭. Car just had to go, because well... life. I was forced to sell it off quickly and I still haven't recovered from the blow -hence me not being able to even go through the recent "what car is in your garage" thread 😅- I guess it's a good sign I manage to mention it now... after all it's just a car, but man what a car!! How incredibly lucky I was, driving that beauty throughout my twenties ♥️🚗

20231104-144601.jpg

Sorry about the rant, the message pretty much wrote itself, guess I needed to get it out as I know that people here will understand :rolleyes:

• Like 7
  • Sad 4

@Ferruz  wow, sorry to hear you had to part ways with your Fiat.  :(  That is one very good looking car in that picture for sure!  B)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Willy iine said:

For me today, going to work on my XM1S to the point I am ready for electronics.   B)

.. I also need to knock down a huge birds nest in my magnolia tree.. :blink: :lol:

So this nest I knocked down..  it wasn't a bird's nest at all.  My neighbor told me it was a squirrel's nest most likely and it was good that I knocked it down as it was using live branches that it must have chewed off to make the nest.   :angry:  Totally pyssed me off as I take great care of my lawn and land scaping.. well my landscaping guy does the work, but anyway.. my lawn is kept up real nicely.

My landscaping guy mentioned something about this in the past where squirrels killed a magnolia tree at one of his client's place as it kept chewing away at the branches.  

• Like 1

@Willy iine thank you! She does look good I agree... :wub: kept her to 100 % original specs with the only exception of the rims, which I painted cream white (originals would be grey). Power was 21 HP at the wheel, believe it or not 🤣 -and yet she would drive up and over the Alps in the winter in third gear... just priceless. In fact, a daily relationship with one of such old cars is much closer to the dynamics one would have with a dog, or a horse, than any modern vehicle... that explains how hard it is to part with it, or maybe I'm just looking for justification 😅

Anyway, you know what, if I ever make it back to my home country, I will try to buy her back 😎😉

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ferruz said:

@Willy iine thank you! She does look good I agree... :wub: kept her to 100 % original specs with the only exception of the rims, which I painted cream white (originals would be grey). Power was 21 HP at the wheel, believe it or not 🤣 -and yet she would drive up and over the Alps in the winter in third gear... just priceless. In fact, a daily relationship with one of such old cars is much closer to the dynamics one would have with a dog, or a horse, than any modern vehicle... that explains how hard it is to part with it, or maybe I'm just looking for justification 😅

Anyway, you know what, if I ever make it back to my home country, I will try to buy her back 😎😉

I believe that.  Vintage cars make all sorts of character noises and vibrations that make it feel its alive!    Yeah it would be fantastic if you can see her once again and enjoy her company.  

• Like 3

Today I installed mirrors and even a pair of windshield wipers on some vehicles. 

I noticed it again: drilling holes in body shells is a science in it self. 😅

PXL_20231104_170716426.jpg

PXL_20231104_143845319.jpg

PXL_20231104_142147596.jpg

PXL_20231104_142127009.jpg

PXL_20231104_142410704.jpg

PXL_20231104_142344309.jpg

PXL_20231104_142236518.jpg

PXL_20231104_142309198.jpg

Edited by chris.alex
  • Like 13

Took out the old redneck Blackfoot with the horrible, yet somehow sturdy 3d printed nylon rollcage/cab (also has Thorp diff, dog bones, hubs, Trinity shocks, and a Tekin ESC). I almost threw out that original body because the cab was so broken, but that ugly thing saved it. :) 

Started running it and the old Parma 14t motor wouldn't turn. Rather than throw the whole thing back on the shelf, I went ahead and took it apart, found broken pieces of magnet, cleaned it up and threw it back in. This time, just horrible squealing from the motor. Removed it again, put in an old 540 and off she went.

After running my Losi LMT, my Tekno MT410, then this, it was quite the change, but the fun factor was a little higher. I love how it just jumps over curbs.

VRfP9Nl.jpg

ZjukW50.jpg

zY5ZABa.jpg

• Like 10

For me, basically finished the XM1S chassis.  I installed a 25.5BL this time.  I will be working on the rest of the electronics tomorrow.   One of the damper housing stripped at the base (where the o-rings go) so I could not use it.  Luckily, I have an entire kit I am using as spare parts so pulled a new housing and new aluminum collar thingie and moved on.  B)   Also the aluminum deck support (post) was not tapped on one end..:wacko: weird.

I think I'm going to get a rear CF shock tower as that is the only thing 'missing' from the chassis being fully CF.   Going to see if I can also source the Competition dampers as those are all aluminum as they should be.  Fine screw pitch on plastic injected parts is just asking for trouble.

Update..  I also realized I needed the servo mount in CF to make my 239mm XM1S CF (actually the XM1 Competitoin has CF knuckle extensions for the steering linkage, but anyway...) so ordered that as well.. along with misc parts I consumed from my spare parts bin today.

I also saw that I could source Fantom foam pre-mounts from Japan at basically half price vs KyoshoAmercia, so ordered a couple sets and a new body set.  I want to drive the car in my pretend pylon test course as it's 4WD.   But the real reason why I placed order was because I wanted to get the peppermint Javelin wing.. it's the same shape as the Optima MID's wing so will use that just in case I mess up painting the mint color MID's polycarbonate wing.

• Like 4

Played some hide and seek with a squirrel at the local park 😂

20231104-205245.jpg

20231104-165342-1.gif

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

I took the blitzer beetle for a last run before it goes into temporary storage because I've run out of space now that another car (frog) has arrived.  I need a new shelf.
Also clear coated the Sand-hopper body.

bb15.JPG

• Like 8

Tonight I took my trusty Porsche to the local tennis courts and lapped around my "proving ground" track for 30 min. I got into the rhythm and the car, tires and track felt perfect!

1312379807_PXL_20231105_0350511532.thumb.jpg.fa6950991ed9ed29ac92246c6e6abfb7.jpg

I was actually testing a new servo from the Hitec D series. I have to say the way it's holding its position and the total lack of play is something I have never seen even on servos costing 3 times more 😯 I was also trying the TRF solid arm for the first time. I'm quite pleased with how solid everything felt compared to my usual HT servo savers.

1618721377_PXL_20231105_0404141772.thumb.jpg.3cd9a678d61e5daad727cc3dc87e8cc9.jpg

RC is fun.

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

I was actually testing a new servo from the Hitec D series

Hitec d645mw and d625mw are my go to servos. (And jx servos for bashers)

A spot of masking today for me…

IMG_5952.jpeg 

Just hope I mange to get a layer of paint before it starts peeling off 😅

• Like 10

@Re-Bugged wow, that body is going to look fantastic as always!  GL with the painting.  B)

For me, going to finish the XM1S today to the point I can test drive the chassis.. I suppose if I push myself I might be able to get to the body post bases as well..will see as I need to run a few errands today.   I might drive my XV01 Delta in front of the house too since I'm going to be cleaning my daily driver on the driveway.  :D 

In other news, I saw that my replacement JJ WC body should arrive Tuesday so perhaps by the following week I can fix the body to where the front body post hole (and tower openings) should have been.. Mine is 5mm too far aft due to 'couldn't comprehend instructions'...and fix the decal placement.   If this was a normal kit I would just let it go, but since it's a limited edition I decided to fix it completely.  

One of my instagram buddies in Japan commented that the JJ WC Ultima drove very well compared to the regular Ultima. Light weight, longer damp stoke, and alignment, he said..  I was a bit confused what he meant about the alignment, but anyway great to hear it drives that well on an actual off-road track.  Mine will probably never see the outdoors as I only bought one unit.. For me, once a car goes outdoors it never comes back inside the house unless it's in a clean bin for temporary storage.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2023 at 5:30 AM, Pylon80 said:

my trusty Porsche

What chassis is underneath as I may ask?

Previously I have seen in some peoples photos of their display shelves, cars stored above doorways. Apologies to whoever had the idea, I forget which of the members on here posted the photos. Anyway I realised it was just unused space in my den so I put up a shelf with the intention of keeping RC cars on it. I used acrylic rather than wood so I could at least see the cars even if it is just the underside.

shelf.JPG

• Like 8

For me I finished installing the electronics on my XM1S, passed bench test and test drive, made custom body post mounts and aligned the wheels.  It's got a nice low stance and zero rubbing.  B)   Even with the longer wheel base, (as with the M06L) it still turns much sharper than the MB01.  👍

Meanwhile.. (I sound like Colbert :lol:) I took my 1:1 WRX to my local car wash place, then polymer sealed the paint when I got home, cleaned the wheels, dressed the tires.. while charging 2 NiMH.   I drove my XV01 (Delta) and Scorpion afterwards and had a great time. :D

I also shopped around for video cameras.. not sure if I should get the iPhone15Pro  or just get a real camera..  the issue with the iPhone is that 15 is much bigger in size and not sure how I can transport it while I'm out.. like where do I place while I'm walking or riding my ebike?   It won't really 'fit' my pocket.. :wacko:     One of my reels have reached over 96K views and at this pace will reach 100K in the next few days.   So with a larger audience I want to improve my reels as that is one of the themes for 2024.   #pretendRCshop 

Today I am going to paint the body post bases I made and wash/mask the body.  I need to head to the office for my money making gig so that is pretty much how far I will get today, I think..k

Update:  Painted the body post bases, assembled, and now the chassis is complete.   B)  I also masked the Beetle body's windows so it is ready for paint .. will probably do that tomorrow.   I also received my JJ WC Ultima body spare, so I will be re-doing the main body later this week.   The wing turned out okay, I just could not follow the instructions on the front body post hole and tower openings due to stupid.  :wacko:  :D    Photos available on instagram Stories.  👍

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

What chassis is underneath as I may ask?

It's a RWD conversion of a TT-02. I shared a few pictures in the TC Design forum over a year ago. It's evolved for years without ever being totally finished nor satisfying but after driving @Rinskie's M08 this summer (what a blast!) I decided to put in a little work to make it drive well. It's definitely getting there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had this TA05 v2 pre-built and never ran chassis sitting in a box for ages, bought on eBay for what I thought was a bargain £90. 

Finally got around to fitting the electrics today, complete with the GT tuned motor that arrived last week. 

IMG_20231106_122021352.thumb.jpg.da8ab06b721774caa52a8beb0858eacd.jpg

Next up, the Toyota Corolla body. 

spacer.png

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

a TT-02

It's a Tamiya Porsche body then?  I assumed it was an HPI one because mine is and that is also green 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 10:28 PM, Sogogi said:

Hitec d645mw and d625mw are my go to servos. (And jx servos for bashers)

Yes sir. It's the 625MW I was testing the other night. I also really like the 322hd which is an incredible bargain for casual driving. And there is a 425HW on it's way to me too 😳

Put the XV01 into a bath of Coke to try and shift a bit more grot off the remaining rusty screws. 

And painted some gold buttons silver for my wife using some Tamiya paint - it was a 1st for me 😂

• Like 4

On 11/5/2023 at 3:43 AM, Pizza Frog said:

I took the blitzer beetle for a last run before it goes into temporary storage because I've run out of space now that another car (frog) has arrived.  I need a new shelf.
Also clear coated the Sand-hopper body.

bb15.JPG

Great choice these, had loads of them and it is still one of my favourite chassis’ to run.

• Like 2