Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Got lost in the woods, it was relaxing. Long time coming this project being used where it should.

oHumbSc.jpg

kNfTiCk.jpg

z1JGnZi.jpg
6snuQfb.jpg

• Like 18

I had the afternoon off today and a new delivery from PJ so I set about the Dark Impact. I mainly picked the parts up to make up for the delivery cost but they still look cool. Although, I’m not sure what good that third heat sink does next to the motor.

There’s still no sign of the slipper clutch coming back in stock, which is a shame, just that and some front universals to go. 

I also put some Velcro on the sides of the chassis as it kept bulging out. 

3IsgfBq.jpg

wEq11R1.jpg

KB6PDrf.jpg

M7QXvs5.jpg

• Like 11

For me, got a lot done today.. considering the tedious work involved.   I finished making 8 jack stands (8 more to go) and also completed wiring up the display shelf in my pretend pylon test course with LED  lighting.  It looks 10x better as expected.. just hadn't been able to get to it until now.   I think I'm going to look for 2 battery powered lighting for the 2 shelves that I want to light up for when I want to take photo's or clips.

I am going to wire up new lighting in my pretend_RC_shop's tiny shelf tomorow.. I expect that it will make the Akira Design corner look even more complete.  :D 

• Like 1

I fitted the electrickery, cut, painted and stickered up the body, so my widened* BBX is now a runner. Still got the driver to do and a few little accoutrements but it's pretty much there.

Bet you didn't expect me to paint this colour with the chrome wheels**. 

20231122_000726 20231122_000651 20231122_000515

My idea is a sort of "bare metal" look, like some guy beat the panels in his barn in time for some desert race but didn't bother to paint it (because like me he was too busy knocking up parts to make it wider). Or one of those bare metal race cars from the [30s?]. Not sure it really works but that's my story and I'm sticking to it! 

The paint went on nicely but frustratingly I have some internal shell cracking from bending to snap my cut lines in some awkward spots. Unnecessary mistakes. 

Overall I'm quite pleased though. The main thing is that (wheel choice excepted) I don't think the essence of BBX has been lost at all with my mods. I have tried to avoid them drawing the eye and I hope I've been reasonably successful. 

Tyre wise, I will hopefully find a slightly larger diamater (but still 2.2 buggy) rear tyre. 

I also intend to rebuild it as stock at some point, for the sake of driving comparison. I had intended to do this first but I got carried away with mod ideas. 

*it's 20mm wider than stock through using a mishmash of different suspension parts, some 3d printing and a bit of old-man-in-shed sawing and spannering. If you want more info see my build thread:

**they don't really go, IMO. I had intended them to go with a coloured body but I changed my mind and went for this first instead, and I do have some white wheels I could fit. A second body should follow (probably blue) 

• Like 14

Started my truck, only a few steps in. A bit longer than I thought it’d be

27519C35-3268-483D-BA03-63CA6503C48A.jpeg

• Like 6

For me, going to make the last of the 8 stands today and wire up the smaller display shelf in the Akira Design corner in the pretend_RC_shop.  B)   I need to check whether I still have an extra 1:3 way splitter for the power supply.. hummm.. wish me hope.. :ph34r:  If not, I need to run an errand today anyway so will stop by the hardware store.

I am also planning to post up some photos of the display lighting I did yesterday on instagram.  Please check it out if interested. #pretend_RC_shop 

I hear my VW van is arriving today.  I also got a couple of sets of premounted foam wheels for my Fantom which is great.   

• Like 4

18 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

20231122_000651 
Tyre wise, I will hopefully find a slightly larger diamater (but still 2.2 buggy) rear tyre.

i think it looks much better now with the front/rear tyres - it might have been the imaginary downward line of the cage that fooled my eyes.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Bet you didn't expect me to paint this colour with the chrome wheels**. 

20231122_000726 20231122_000651 20231122_000515

Other than that weird gap at the tip of the nose, I like it. It has a sort of Wild One/Fox look to it, definitely better than stock.

On my end I adjusted the TT02 a bit, it drives fine now. Unfortunately, in less than three runs I'm already chewing through the Chinese tires that came with it.

20231122_123032.jpg

20231122_123343.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Other than that weird gap at the tip of the nose, I like it. It has a sort of Wild One/Fox look to it, definitely better than stock.

On my end I adjusted the TT02 a bit, it drives fine now. Unfortunately, in less than three runs I'm already chewing through the Chinese tires that came with it.

20231122_123032.jpg

20231122_123343.jpg

I find the kit rally block tires last long and provide an insane amount of grip for what they are, i.e. rally tires, even on the dusty basketball or tennis courts I have here. And of course they work really well off-road. I do use foam inserts with them. I ran my car for 3h this week off a new set and can't see any visible wear yet. Temperature at night is around 17c so not really cold but still I can't believe how much grip I get. Something about how the knobs produce grip 😎

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

I find the kit rally block tires last long and provide an insane amount of grip for what they are, i.e. rally tires, even on the dusty basketball or tennis courts I have here. 

I'll probably switch to those for any serious driving, and keep these "junk" tires for asphalt drifting.

For me, finished installing the display lights on the small shelf, posted the pretend pylon test course new display on instagram, finished the last 8 pcs stands, and got my VW van.  :D   Very productive day.   Pictures available on instagram if interested.

..  and sushi in about one hour.  It is a rockin' day today.  B)   Much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

Depending on which gap you're referring to there are a couple of reasons. 

1. I didn't check the manual properly and cut the shell including the cut outs for front lights when I shouldn't have. Annoying, and entirely my fault. 🙄

2. Because the paint is new I haven't fitted any velcro so the whole main body section is not secured down in the pics. I going to let the paint cure for a while before I stick velcro to it. The way it's designed, I suspect the nose velcro has quite a lot to do to pull the nose down, being forward of a shock tower transverse bracing bar that the shell actually has to bend over a little. Bit of a design question there actually, IMV. 

Only spent a little time on rc today, but made some more progress on the truck. Suspensions on, looks like next up is the 3 speed :)

5C2F90C1-03F2-4761-AB5F-283B64A34000.jpeg.8abbabc69317468b0e42fbb4e4eb3bdf.jpeg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ImALlama said:

Only spent a little time on rc today, but made some more progress on the truck. Suspensions on, looks like next up is the 3 speed :)

5C2F90C1-03F2-4761-AB5F-283B64A34000.jpeg.8abbabc69317468b0e42fbb4e4eb3bdf.jpeg

I see lots of screws. I hope those screws don’t screw over lol

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, ImALlama said:

/.../ made some more progress on the truck. Suspensions on, looks like next up is the 3 speed :)

Keep on truckin' ! :D

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 11:04 PM, naturbo2000 said:

I put together a 186mm wheelbase MF-01X. I've got to stretch it out to 190mm yet, but figure I can do that at the wishbones. I'd best get some small radio gear on order.

It's going to be touch and go as to whether the chassis is low profile enough as it'll be easier than taking 20mm out of an M06 (I at least have a backup plan for 15mm there).

embed?resid=F34B5BC67882BE09!216374&auth

My word. It might just work!

@Willy iine it's a Tamtech Gear 934  with a wheelbase of 190mm. Width is fine at the front. I'll need spacers to build out the rear.

@Nikko85 - thanks for the offer of chassis lengtheners, but I've literally got no space to use them. The pic below is resting on the shock tower and gearbox. I need to add the 4mm in the arms. Something like 1mm in the front and 3mm in the rear.

_20231123_124532.JPG

• Like 7

For me, going to paint the 28 jack stands today.   While I thought about using a color that stands out, I decided to use gunmetal.  No sense having visible stands that confuse where to look at the car on the shelf.  B)

Besides that, I'm going to re-arrange my GF01 FJ40 display and then just take a break and enjoy my RC space since I updated the configuration and lighting in both rooms pretend_RC_shop and pretend pylon test course this week.   

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!   I am thankful for my healthy family so that we can all enjoy our own hobbies, while it might all be different.  👍

• Like 3

M05 build is on pause, while I await some parts, so made a start on the BBX!

But that is now paused as I have to make a brief trip to Kuala Lumpur to see my sick dad.

Pushing my way through with my golf build. Sits on a faithful fwd M-05 chassis. Body is in place but still sliding around exact position have not glued in the magnets yet. As my usual favorite technique all black areas, window trim and red stripe was painted from the outside using the body spray film as a mask.

Ronal wheels were done by inspired by oem colours. They were both done with a black base, the bronze could use a smoke and a gloss, But i like them in person. I wont be making them gloss, I like the rather satin finish. Both are still to be detailed and cleaned up including the Ronal text for the silver ones.

Body will get lamp buckets, and a lower grill I made.

RwZhzKk.jpg

ndHRyCR.jpg

WW4y45e.jpg

QjkPrW6.jpg

veoCSVe.jpg

zGL8hdN.jpg

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Elbowloh said:

M05 build is on pause, while I await some parts, so made a start on the BBX!

But that is now paused as I have to make a brief trip to Kuala Lumpur to see my sick dad.

Doh.. sorry to hear about the the pauses and most importantly, hope your dad is okay!   :(  Hang in there!

1 hour ago, technics said:

Pushing my way through with my golf build. Sits on a faithful fwd M-05 chassis. Body is in place but still sliding around exact position have not glued in the magnets yet. As my usual favorite technique all black areas, window trim and red stripe was painted from the outside using the body spray film as a mask.

Ronal wheels were done by inspired by oem colours. They were both done with a black base, the bronze could use a smoke and a gloss, But i like them in person. I wont be making them gloss, I like the rather satin finish. Both are still to be detailed and cleaned up including the Ronal text for the silver ones.

Body will get lamp buckets, and a lower grill I made.

RwZhzKk.jpg

ndHRyCR.jpg

WW4y45e.jpg

QjkPrW6.jpg

veoCSVe.jpg

zGL8hdN.jpg

Lovely. Going to be putting the golf gti body on my M05 also, but more a rally build.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Doh.. sorry to hear about the the pauses and most importantly, hope your dad is okay!   :(  Hang in there!

Thanks. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Recently found out about the seller from buyee (via japan auction) that sells lots of rare / cool tamiya rc kits (and other stuff).

I ended up winning few kits.. and need to stop lol.

if you are interested…. Dn-01 and DF03ra are up.. in case some TCers are interested…

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/u1114853078

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/n1114842816

• Like 1