Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thanksgiving seemed as good a day as any to take the re-re Rough Rider out for a spin. (sorry, I dislike the "new" names the re-releases get even if it was called Buggy Champ other places) As you can see from the 10ft of antenna wire, I'm still rockin' a radio with crystals. Cassette tapes are poised to make a comeback, I'm sure.

RR2 RR3

This last shot was a little interesting. My daughter was cruising by and somehow it looks like the Rough Rider was caught in "heavenly" beams (aka sunshine) of light from above. Well, it was Tamiya's first buggy after all...:P.

RR1

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, ImALlama said:

More truck progress, have a transmission now :)

F44F736A-4BC4-455C-A1D0-C34D0255F32E.jpeg.c97e724a155c9bed42d96dab0acc9524.jpeg

Mmm straight cut gears, just like a race car...right?!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Clearly this was designed for racing :lol:. I was surprised how similar it is to some real transmissions. Building it actually gave me flashbacks of all the times I rebuilt the trans on my track bike, got tired of fixing it and buying parts so I gave up and just changed the sprocket, I lose a lot of speed, but I can ignore 1st and 2nd (and tearing the engine/trans case apart all the time, wear and poor design caused it to go into neutral whenever it was in 1 or 2, not fun on a racetrack surrounded by other bikes :()

As for the truck, body and paint left :D. Due to the fact I’ll be tearing it apart to modify it, I figure paint and all the details will be done after most of the changes have been made. I’ll probably get the main body pieces on tomorrow and start getting some stock lap times.

CB60CFE3-B01B-4D75-BC7A-22ADF0205C56.jpeg.cfb3b13516b4eea5ce6d6b70a53acddc.jpeg

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, ImALlama said:

Clearly this was designed for racing :lol:. I was surprised how similar it is to some real transmissions. Building it actually gave me flashbacks of all the times I rebuilt the trans on my track bike, got tired of fixing it and buying parts so I gave up and just changed the sprocket, I lose a lot of speed, but I can ignore 1st and 2nd (and tearing the engine/trans case apart all the time, wear and poor design caused it to go into neutral whenever it was in 1 or 2, not fun on a racetrack surrounded by other bikes :()

As for the truck, body and paint left :D. Due to the fact I’ll be tearing it apart to modify it, I figure paint and all the details will be done after most of the changes have been made. I’ll probably get the main body pieces on tomorrow and start getting some stock lap times.

CB60CFE3-B01B-4D75-BC7A-22ADF0205C56.jpeg.cfb3b13516b4eea5ce6d6b70a53acddc.jpeg

Awesomeness!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Here’s one in all its mighty action while I was building a Knight Hauler, look at it go!!

They really are quite something 😉

• Like 5

Not much spare time lately, but managing to get a five minutes here than there to add a few stickers to the Scooby Doo,

IMG_6079.jpeg 

Well at it’s definitely a Rally car of sorts now, it says so on the bonnet.

• Like 14

6 hours ago, ImALlama said:

More truck progress, have a transmission now :)

F44F736A-4BC4-455C-A1D0-C34D0255F32E.jpeg.c97e724a155c9bed42d96dab0acc9524.jpeg

This was the most difficult part for me on one of my truck builds.  for the other truck, i just bought a Lesu 3 speed transmission.  problem solved. :)

• Like 2

@Re-Bugged  Looking very nice!   Love the super sharp lines and color choice! 

For me, finished installing the jack stands on all 7 cars yesterday (did I already mention this?  my memory is all over the place), changed my GF01 FJ40 display location and gave the small shelf 3 Kyosho cars, and posted a reel on instagram this morning.  B)  

Then made an easel for Kogawa-san's business card I want to display with the '3 Kyosho beauties' I posted on Instagram this morning.  Once the paint dries I will assemble the card into a picture frame I made and display on the shelf like an event poster or signage.  Photos on Instagram Stories if interested..

After lunch I plan to paint the aluminum BBS wheel spokes to a darker color on the yellow Kyosho Beetle.  It looks okay as it is, but I want more contrast and make it look a bit more interesting. 

Then I am going to look at all sorts of race tracks and gymkhana setups to see if I can add or make more interesting pieces for my pretend pylon test course.  It's a functional and looks 'okay', but I know I can make it look a lot more exciting.. and why not make my rooms that I spend most of my winter days exciting, right?  :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The race meet yesterday didn’t go according to plan. It was just my luck it would be the collar which I don’t have a spare for. Oh well, time for another order from Japan. 

IMG_5731.jpeg

• Sad 6

I decided to keep my Optima an Optima for the time being rather than swap to the Javelin cage. Out for a run in the chilly weather.

OP5 OP2 OP1 OP3

Actually got a little air on that last one. I have to practice getting more jump shots. 

I went with B&W for the last one. It kinda reminds me of the early days of RC Car Action magazine, when not all the photos were in fancy full color. I oddly wish I could return to those simpler "black and white" days, even if it means using Nicds and MSCs.

OP4

• Like 17
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I oddly wish I could return to those simpler "black and white" days, even if it means using Nicds and MSCs.

OP4

Those are some good shots, we definitely need more "scale" buggies and less racer-stuff.

On my end, I went crawling with a Kia Telluride, which is really NOT a crawler! It is a decent front yard/backyard go anywhere RC though.

20231124_145849.jpg

• Like 4

Ordered a brushless motor and ESC for a future project. :lol:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

I went with B&W for the last one. It kinda reminds me of the early days of RC Car Action magazine, when not all the photos were in fancy full color. I oddly wish I could return to those simpler "black and white" days, even if it means using Nicds and MSCs.

OP4

What are you thoughts on the optima? It's suddenly popped up on my radar and peaked my interest 🤔

For me, finished the Kogawa-san business card easel and took a few snaps.  Looks good, I think.   I need to make more plants.

I proceeded to paint the BBS wheels as well... it took forever, very tedious work as I had to brush paint all the little openings in the mesh wheels (LM style) but considering I got done making 28 jack stands yesterday, I suppose this was a walk in the park..:lol:  But the most annoying part wasn't the painting at all.. I dropped one of the front bearings in my nearly full trash bin and had to dig it out.  :blink:  Telling you man, I am just a clumsy son of a gun.

Anyway, I the wheels look 100x better now as expected, and I am excited to post some photo's soon on Instagram.  B)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

What are you thoughts on the optima? It's suddenly popped up on my radar and peaked my interest 🤔

The Optima is a great car and you can see where it revolutionized 4wd off road buggies. In Kyosho's design-style lineage, I'd put it between the mostly metal cars like the Scorpion and the more plastic ones like the Ultima. The gearcases and suspension arms are tough fiber reinforced plastic, but there is still plenty of metal plates and rails in its construction. As others have said, its really built like a tank. Its not a car I'd want to service often because, just looking at it, it seems there would be much tear-down to get into its deeper innards. Fortunately, its reliable and the fact Kyosho gives you the choice of chain or belt is pretty cool. I was shocked how well it cornered and turned in my grassy yard. Its a great complex, but not difficult, build that oozes Kyosho's usual re-release quality. I liked the build more than the Mid build even if the Mid is considered the superior performer. The older Optima is no slouch though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saito2 said:

The Optima is a great car and you can see where it revolutionized 4wd off road buggies. In Kyosho's design-style lineage, I'd put it between the mostly metal cars like the Scorpion and the more plastic ones like the Ultima. The gearcases and suspension arms are tough fiber reinforced plastic, but there is still plenty of metal plates and rails in its construction. As others have said, its really built like a tank. Its not a car I'd want to service often because, just looking at it, it seems there would be much tear-down to get into its deeper innards. Fortunately, its reliable and the fact Kyosho gives you the choice of chain or belt is pretty cool. I was shocked how well it cornered and turned in my grassy yard. Its a great complex, but not difficult, build that oozes Kyosho's usual re-release quality. I liked the build more than the Mid build even if the Mid is considered the superior performer. The older Optima is no slouch though.

Thank you for that info. I'll have a look and see what's still available here, and maybe pick one up for a future build. Sounds like it'll be a fun runner :D