Jump to content
Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, IXLR8 said:

Yes, MB-01.  The tires tuck under the wheel arches.  To my eye, the fit is perfect.

Not sure what's going on with Tamiya's photos.  I planned to purchase the kit anyway and simply fit thinner hexes if necessary.  Anyway, tire fit is not a problem.:D

 

spacer.png

What is a slight problem is the number.  Not going with "53" for my build. :rolleyes:

Tamiya should have used “33” not 53

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

For me, posted my pretend production reel of my M06L Beetle on instagram.  Please check it out if interested.  B)  #pretend_RC_shop 

 

I did check it out -- your driving is very smooth and scale.  :)  Wish I had space here to setup an indoor course like that.

Anyway, the Beetle will almost certainly be my next M chassis build.  With regard to accuracy, I think Tamiya have nailed the Beetle.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IXLR8 said:

I did check it out -- your driving is very smooth and scale.  :)  Wish I had space here to setup an indoor course like that.

Anyway, the Beetle will almost certainly be my next M chassis build.  With regard to accuracy, I think Tamiya have nailed the Beetle.

Thanks!  

Yes, as you said, Tamiya certainly did a great job on the Beetle body..   it has become one of my favorite bodies especially since they come with those hard plastic bumpers and mirrors.  Really adds that special touch.  👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@Raman36 No worries, you weren't missing out on much.    :lol:   GL with the build!  

The included front blue knuckles, use the TA03 out drive and bearing. I pretty sure the original kits didn’t have these knuckles. Not sure why Tamiya decided to go this route. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following some discussion initiated with friends, I create a page for Silver Triple designs on Facebook. (I'll add a link later on - for the time being it seems it doesn't work - You may searh for "Silver Triple designs" in facebook)
qdkKSYz.jpg
On this page, I'll share more visuals of my projects (sometimes here I don't share all pics, while there would be usually more pics on my facebook wall but very much less written details)...
(don't worry, I'm too attached to the interaction mode we have on forums with lot of interesting exchanges helping to progress and learn a lot of things, I won't leave old fashioned forums like this one)

Edit:
link to the page : https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61555214226826

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

Tamiya should have used “33” not 53

Hmmm, 33.  

I've been on YT watching vintage style racing and looking for possible livery and number inspiration.  This is all new to me and the numbers are all over the place - as in, I'm a Yankee and nothing really connects considering my very limited exposure to racing in Europe.  So I have to ask, is there a connection between the Giulia GTA and 33?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

The included front blue knuckles, use the TA03 out drive and bearing. I pretty sure the original kits didn’t have these knuckles. Not sure why Tamiya decided to go this route. 

Huh, you're right.  I looked at my TA02 just now (Al Schnitzer M3) and they are indeed red in color.  I bought this car back in 1995.. raced it in stock class in 1998(?) and got my butt handed to me.  :lol:  I then got my first HPI car (RS4 by Ito-san/Kogawa-san) and did a lot better, but not until I got the AE TC3 when I started actually winning parking lot races the stores hosted.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IXLR8 said:

Yes, MB-01.  The tires tuck under the wheel arches.  To my eye, the fit is perfect.

Not sure what's going on with Tamiya's photos.  I planned to purchase the kit anyway and simply fit thinner hexes if necessary.  Anyway, tire fit is not a problem.:D

I'd be careful running thinner hexes on the MB01, I had wheel rubbing issues with mine. I ended up using slightly wider than stock hexes on mine.

 

20231129_154023.thumb.jpg.78950d79a4620582a1988d416871cb46.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kids are asleep, so making a start in my CC02, starting with gear box. Stainless hex screws, tap and bearings in hand.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First run with the BBX.   Not the best weather but fun none the less.  Definitely need to extend the battery plug on the esc.   Real pain to plug in a battery after I added the side netting.  

bbx 13.jpg

bbx 14.jpg

bbx 15.jpg

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elbowloh said:

Kids are asleep, so making a start in my CC02, starting with gear box. Stainless hex screws, tap and bearings in hand.

It seems that my CC02 has unexpectedly come with a torque tuned motor rather than a standard silver can 540. I've got a 35t to go in, but the TT is an added bonus that I'm sure I can use elsewhere.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Willy iine said:So far, I am basically non-existent..  :lol:   

The problem is that it seems most of the people that quickly get attention and build followers do so through silly stunts, destroying stuff, etc.  

Keep doing your thing and building slowly is probably the only sensible and sane way to go!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much time still for any major builds so I decided to dust off a few unfinished projects and try and get them going again.

First up was the SW-01 to Donkey Kong kart build to join my Mario Hornet! Still a few things to do but it’s getting closer with the kids help 🤪 

This has been a lot of fun…
 

Donkey Kong RC

 

Donkey Kong RC

 

  • Like 10
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

I'd be careful running thinner hexes on the MB01, I had wheel rubbing issues with mine. I ended up using slightly wider than stock hexes on mine.

 

20231129_154023.thumb.jpg.78950d79a4620582a1988d416871cb46.jpg

Oh that's right.  I forgot.

Thanks for the reminder.  

One thing I noted as I built mine is just how poorly the wheel bearings fit their bores in the uprights.  This allows the wheels to flop around a lot.

In fact, everything fits loosely on the MB-01.  :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OnTheTrail said:

First run with the BBX.   Not the best weather but fun none the less.  Definitely need to extend the battery plug on the esc.   Real pain to plug in a battery after I added the side netting.  

bbx 13.jpg

bbx 14.jpg

bbx 15.jpg

That looks fun. I wish it snows here… just raining all day due to warmer than usual weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I finally got around to starting work on repairing my Madcap/Super Astute mongrel runner. She was battered after only a couple of runs last summer, but she is running a very low turn vintage Reedy Fury motor, so has some pace. The rear arm mounts were both destroyed, not sure how, probably hit a tree root I reckon! Anyway, whilst I await some parts for the EVO build to arrive from overseas, this is my workspace this evening...

irFcwbA.jpeg

See @GeeWings, it was this one that was next on the list to be worked on, you spurred me into action mate👍😃

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IXLR8 said:

Oh that's right.  I forgot.

Thanks for the reminder.  

One thing I noted as I built mine is just how poorly the wheel bearings fit their bores in the uprights.  This allows the wheels to flop around a lot.

In fact, everything fits loosely on the MB-01.  :rolleyes:

On some of my on-road Tamiyas, I'll slip a 5x8x0.5mm Teflon washer between the wheel pin and the bearing just to reduce slop, it seemed to help straight line stability. You can get a nice set of 100 of them (basically a lifetime supply) off Amazon or ebay.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

On some of my on-road Tamiyas, I'll slip a 5x8x0.5mm Teflon washer between the wheel pin and the bearing just to reduce slop, it seemed to help straight line stability. You can get a nice set of 100 of them (basically a lifetime supply) off Amazon or ebay.

Tamiya shims 53587 are basically made for that 👍 I found that almost every car needs shimming, sometimes only 0.2mm and sometimes almost a full 1mm depending on the drive shaft and wheel hex combinations. I don't know if I would feel the difference when driving but it definitely feels a bit more hobby-grade when you behold the car! ;)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrapped up my "TT-02B(R)" build. I'd had an issue with mounting the TRF201 wing using the stock wing mount on the carbon towers but sorted that out using some DF-03 wing mounts I had (in blue!). All I can say is, if you want a TT-02BR, buy the kit, don't do what I did (which was start with a TT-02B and add a bunch of hop ups...), though the build was fun nonetheless. Excuse the poor lighting; it's painted in PS Fluorescent Yellow and is quite bright.

image_50436609.JPG

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

On some of my on-road Tamiyas, I'll slip a 5x8x0.5mm Teflon washer between the wheel pin and the bearing just to reduce slop, it seemed to help straight line stability. You can get a nice set of 100 of them (basically a lifetime supply) off Amazon or ebay.

Thanks for that tip, I need to order those.

I've gone back and packed the axles using some metal shims - one source of slop addressed. 

For the suspension ball joint slop, I'm going to attempt something I've done on my TT-02; wrap a layer (or more) of aluminum tape around its spindle.  Once assembled, this will expand the ball making for a tighter fit in the socket.  Not sure if this will work for the MB but I will try it.

Also, when the MB-01 is built per the instructions, there's a lot of bump steer at both ends of the car.  At the rear, the uprights have two toe-link mounting locations - high and low - and I've found that by moving the link to the low mount, bump steer is reduced.  Doing this at the front would almost certainly reduce bump steer there as well but moving the link to the lower mount will also change Ackermann so instead, I'm going to cut the high mount down.

Like the TT-01, the MB-01 is an inexpensive, entry level chassis that offers plenty of opportunities to tinker and refine -- if one is so inclined.  Running the just-finished chassis around in the house proves to me that it will drive okay in stock form but I must "tinker and refine" - spending an absurd amount of time on what is essentially a plastic toy car.  But, that's what I do.  :rolleyes:  :D  

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While waiting for some replacement body posts to arrive I added some other bits to my F103 chassis that ive had knocking around.

Fitted the old style hop-up alloy motor mount / heat sink with the fixed height bearing hole, the adjustable tie rod steering set and a high torque servo saver (had to swap out the adjustors to cup type ends as they rubbed on the servo saver body) and a low friction aluminium damper with a white TRF internal piston and Ti coated piston shaft to replace the friction damper.

Before;

spacer.png

After;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I imagine the damper will realistically not do a lot but it looks cool.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Not much time still for any major builds so I decided to dust off a few unfinished projects and try and get them going again.

First up was the SW-01 to Donkey Kong kart build to join my Mario Hornet! Still a few things to do but it’s getting closer with the kids help 🤪 

This has been a lot of fun…
 

Donkey Kong RC

 

Donkey Kong RC

 

Looking forward to watching the full Mario Kart racing series...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Tamiya shims 53587 are basically made for that 👍 I found that almost every car needs shimming, sometimes only 0.2mm and sometimes almost a full 1mm depending on the drive shaft and wheel hex combinations. I don't know if I would feel the difference when driving but it definitely feels a bit more hobby-grade when you behold the car! ;)

👆💯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...