Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Elbowloh said:

Looking forward to watching the full Mario Kart racing series...

Toad needs a ride next…

IMG_0321.thumb.jpeg.54ba3f612617bcdd9d7bd369b739411e.jpeg

• Like 9

Just opened the box to have a look at the parts bags etc and apparently this “support package” isn’t in the far east kits? Which is kinda ironic because it’s all in Japanese!

IMG_0349.jpeg

• Like 10

For me, started making road signs (caution turn arrows) for my pretend pylon test course last night.  Will finish the base and sign posts for them this morning and paint away.  B)

I hope to get that finished for my next reel which I shall start in a few days.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, IXLR8 said:

For the suspension ball joint slop, I'm going to attempt something I've done on my TT-02; wrap a layer (or more) of aluminum tape around its spindle.  Once assembled, this will expand the ball making for a tighter fit in the socket.  Not sure if this will work for the MB but I will try it.

Also, when the MB-01 is built per to the instructions, there's a lot of bump steer at both ends of the car. 

It's the same basic setup, some aluminum or Teflon tape should do the trick. Anything that reduces plastic on plastic friction should help your steering.

I didn't know about the bump steer! Makes sense.

Made a start on the C11 body. It looks like it’ll be a while before it’s warm and dry enough to actually put some paint on it though.

GqbBrkK.jpeg

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Sogogi said:

That looks fun. I wish it snows here… just raining all day due to warmer than usual weather.

I was hoping to run it on a dry surface to see how the stabilizer works.   Blowing all the snow out of it and drying it out wasn't so much fun but running it certainly was.   Are you in a climate that never gets snow or just didn't have any snow going on recently?   

One of my favorites is when the top layer of snow crusts over and now my entire yard can become a track.   Lots of fun with the 4wd rally cars!

• Like 2

@Nick-W cool, I'm right there as well :lol: just finished cutting and filing the body yesterday, now on we go with the masking... I just haven't been saying much about it yet, as my intention is still to do a build thread on my first Group C chassis experience (very enjoyable by the way!).

Good luck with the painting... For what concerns me, it won't be warm or dry for at least 5 months around here so I'll have to figure something out indoors. Fortunately I can count on a huge communal garage area, it's dusty but doable if I'm careful.

• Like 4

On 1/5/2024 at 5:36 AM, Pylon80 said:

Some night postal driving with Das Auto.

MGiCPFm.jpg

This shot illustrates well just how tiny this Golf is! The box said '1/12 scale', no kidding 😅 It makes it look even faster with the scale effect although that does nothing for the lap count.

That Golf is lovely! 

• Thanks 1

Loose fitted a hotshot cage to my TD4. Would need some modification and some custom brackets, but I think it might go. 

20240107_164645

Unfortunately hotshot cages (apart from blockhead) are out of stock everywhere with sensible shopping costs, so this will go on the back burner, but I think it's worth pursuing. Maybe with a Super Hotshot body. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Toad needs a ride next…

IMG_0321.thumb.jpeg.54ba3f612617bcdd9d7bd369b739411e.jpeg

Is that a QD clod? Jealous! My next build is going to involve a Tonka.

29 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Loose fitted a hotshot cage to my TD4. Would need some modification and some custom brackets, but I think it might go. 

20240107_164645

Unfortunately hotshot cages (apart from blockhead) are out of stock everywhere with sensible shopping costs, so this will go on the back burner, but I think it's worth pursuing. Maybe with a Super Hotshot body. 

That is looking nice. Out of curiousity: Have you tried this on a Dragon? I am thinking about putting a Boomerang body on mine. I always wanted a Hotshot as a kid, but when I should get a no bull**** 4x4 buggy last year I made the sensible choice and went for the Thunder Dragon. The plan was to mount the Dictator body on it, though (or a more conservative looking one, since the Dictator was a little too short and I did not want to cut in it at the end).

• Like 1

Finished insulating another section of the Ray-cave attic. I'm about one quarter finished now so plenty more to do.

After that, there was some time to change 8 screws that were too short on the Duke Nukem Mighty Foot monstertruck. Took some time as getting to those screws required taking out 32 more screws first.  Still worth it as I wanted 20 of those screws swapped out by new Allen key bolts as well so it was all in 1 go.

This makes this monstertruck finished for now. As long as I don't drive it nothing can go wrong. :lol:

• Like 2

On 1/6/2024 at 9:58 AM, IXLR8 said:

Hmmm, 33.  

I've been on YT watching vintage style racing and looking for possible livery and number inspiration.  This is all new to me and the numbers are all over the place - as in, I'm a Yankee and nothing really connects considering my very limited exposure to racing in Europe.  So I have to ask, is there a connection between the Giulia GTA and 33?

The number 33 is considered Alfa's lucky number.. and also is the model number of their most epic and exotic build.. the Type 33 Race Car and Street Version

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Andreas W said:

That is looking nice. Out of curiousity: Have you tried this on a Dragon? I am thinking about putting a Boomerang body on mine. I always wanted a Hotshot as a kid, but when I should get a no bull**** 4x4 buggy last year I made the sensible choice and went for the Thunder Dragon. The plan was to mount the Dictator body on it, though (or a more conservative looking one, since the Dictator was a little too short and I did not want to cut in it at the end).

No, I haven't tried it on a Dragon. I like that body too much 😉

• Haha 1

Just realized buyee has new coupons for yahoo auctions.. gotta resist.. ok i will just browse :)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Nikko85 said:

Is that a QD clod? Jealous! My next build is going to involve a Tonka.

Yes it is. I sold my rere clod a while back. It was very cool but I never used it, it was huge and I purchased it complete so never had much connection to it. The next week I saw the QD listed cheap so decided to grab it. Lovely little truck and goes well with my GF01 Bullhead!

1 hour ago, Raman36 said:

The number 33 is considered Alfa's lucky number.. and also is the model number of their most epic and exotic build.. the Type 33 Race Car and Street Version

Ah, thanks for that.

I'm reading the Wikipedia page now. 

Of all the Alfa's that carried the 33 designation, this one really caught my eye - the T33/2.  Impressive!

spacer.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ferruz said:

@Nick-W cool, I'm right there as well :lol: just finished cutting and filing the body yesterday, now on we go with the masking... I just haven't been saying much about it yet, as my intention is still to do a build thread on my first Group C chassis experience (very enjoyable by the way!).

I was thinking of a build thread too. I think it’s different enough from anything else I’ve done that I’ve learnt enough to be useful to others. If that makes any sense at all 😆

For me, I finished the signs and mounted them on my pretend pylon test course.  Looks good, I think.  B)  I also got an extension cord for my umbrella light to make my work flow better while taking video clips.

I also checked my MID spare parts stock and found I still have 2 more spare bodies, so going to paint one of them white (box art) for my outdoor MID in the coming weeks.   I decided to keep the aluminum chassis one on display and move the YeahRacing CF chassis with 3rd party under tray for outdoor driving.  Should make it easier to keep the car clean.  B)  If the tray gets destroyed I have those Kyosho factory under carriage protectors for CF decks so will use that, I suppose... and perhaps down the road swap it back to aluminum tray as I have 3 spare ones..

Also did a minor decal tweak on my MID Night livery. B)

• Like 2

Measured & counted the bearings I have and made a list so I know what and how many I need to order for future models! Also put them into an organising box

AIVUKs2l.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, CoolHands said:

Measured & counted the bearings I have and made a list so I know what and how many I need to order for future models! Also put them into an organising box

AIVUKs2.jpg

Haha i am also almost out of 1050..

Went to my LHS, they've sold my Telluride so I'm just down to a 2wd Rustler as my only Traxxas RC.

I've also learned that thanks to Horizon Hobby prioritizing Amazon orders, my LHS (one of the biggest HH vendors in the area) is having difficulties getting parts from HH for their customers.

Finally, I had a look at their never ran, display TT02 (with the terrific Mustang body on it), I can't help but notice that it had a bit less slop than my used TT02s.

• Like 1

Today I've finished painting the Giulia body and finished the grill.  I went with 3 coats of Duratrax Bright White backed with 3 coats of Walmart brand white enamel, 1 coat of silver and 1 coat of flat black.  I'm happy with the results.  It doesn't show in the photo but the body is very shiny - as they always are just after removing the protective film.  This is the best it will ever look. 

I've started applying decals and I really wish Tamiya would provide those front side indicators as a separate plastic part to be painted and perhaps screwed to the body.  Instead, they provide decals which are extremely tiny and difficult to apply over that convex surface.  Also, I think it's going to be hard to prevent them falling off and becoming lost - they are really tiny. 

Also, the lower edges of the body are super thin at the trim line and if you use the score and snap method for trimming as I do, your knife will simply fall through during the scoring process so care is needed to avoid a trip to urgent care.

As I look at that front edge, I really need to trim it a bit more and clean it up.  I'll use my curved scissors for that.

Some extra decals are provided if you choose to go non-boxart.

Anyway, that's enough for today.  I'll probably finish the body tomorrow.

spacer.png

Goodnight everyone.  :)

• Like 9