Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Sogogi said:

Made some progress on m05 build

IMG_9916.jpeg

What is the turnbuckle wrench for? ūüßź

33 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

What is the turnbuckle wrench for? ūüßź

Haha i just had one next to me and thought it would go well with other blue parts…

44 minutes ago, Sogogi said:

Haha i just had one next to me and thought it would go well with other blue parts…

It does actually ūüėȬ†

On mine I have managed to use 3x10 turnbuckles so that I could have adjustable toe and camber but it was a lot of fiddling.

• Like 1

Someone (who shall remain nameless :unsure:) forgot to order a bearing kit for the Fiat 131 so that got pushed to the side of the bench for now so I figure I'd put this kit together.   While I've had a few Traxxas RTRs, this is the first kit from them I've built.  Actually pretty impressed.   Nice instructions, great hardware, well packaged parts bags but most impressive is how little slop there is in the suspension.   A lot of Tamiya kits I've built have quite a bit of slop that needs tinkering and/or lots of shims.  The Traxxas was just very tight right out of the box.   This went together in about a night and a half. 

Probably start painting the body tomorrow.  

Slash 1.jpg

• Like 6

Put lights on the mini 4wd as it's difficult to see with the comic wrapping paper.but the AA's weren't strong enough to power them so added a 2s lipo. Not running the motor on 2s lipo,.....yet!.....,.....

• Like 3

Project Completed! 

Proudly posting I am finished my Golf MK2 GTI project! Thank you everyone for your encouraging words throughout!

Specification Details - 
Tamiya M-05 239mm FWD  
Volkswagen MK2 Golf 16v - Tamiya 51706 

Ronal R10 Wheels M scale, Ronal raised lettering / RC Racing Legends
Wheels / Montana Chrome spray, XF brush paint black, Liquid chrome pen 1mm lettering

Body / PS-23 Gunmetal, PS-5 Black backing
Exterior Details / Styrene lower front grill, Quad lamp front grill with generic inner bucket
Decals / OEM Volkswagen GTI inspired, drawn, printed metal like finish ( extras available! )
Magnet Mount / Generic

Write up -
Not all too much elaborate on other then to write I tried to build it as high of quality as possible / and better then box stock. A Tamiya GTI quad headlamp Volkswagen Golf mk2!

awpqkOb.jpg

luBbUTj.jpg

0Q8Wego.jpg

9KUsUaT.jpg

HEItKoP.jpg'

CLDwj5T.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, technics said:
Project Completed! 

Proudly posting I am finished my Golf MK2 GTI project! Thank you everyone for your encouraging words throughout!

Specification Details - 
Tamiya M-05 239mm FWD  
Volkswagen MK2 Golf 16v - Tamiya 51706 

Ronal R10 Wheels M scale, Ronal raised lettering / RC Racing Legends
Wheels / Montana Chrome spray, XF brush paint black, Liquid chrome pen 1mm lettering

Body / PS-23 Gunmetal, PS-5 Black backing
Exterior Details / Styrene lower front grill, Quad lamp front grill with generic inner bucket
Decals / OEM Volkswagen GTI inspired, drawn, printed metal like finish ( extras available! )
Magnet Mount / Generic

Write up -
Not all too much elaborate on other then to write I tried to build it as high of quality as possible / and better then box stock. A Tamiya GTI quad headlamp Volkswagen Golf mk2!

awpqkOb.jpg

luBbUTj.jpg

0Q8Wego.jpg

9KUsUaT.jpg

HEItKoP.jpg'

CLDwj5T.jpg

You made a shipping container into a Tamiya cardboard box? You strange man. 

Oh, it's 1:10 scale. As you were.

ūüėČ

• Haha 4

@ChrisRx718 I am a sucker for dark colours and metallics.. It helps hide the toy / rc ness, if that  is something one likes that is!

Part of me wanted to make the 1:1 i used daily for years from 15 years back, one day i probably will!

If you¬īre curious you¬īll have to search everydayisrallyday.tumblr.com now as i do not own the original domain anymore :D¬†

Not much rally chasing anymore. too busy adulting..

DJwHJu0.jpg gUSpNil.jpg 4wWhYt8.jpg iNdgqJv.jpg jS32MrJ.jpg

• Like 4

Great job @technics!   Are you going to install a driver in your car?   Billy would love to drive your car on my pretend pylon test course for a relaxing weekend drive.  :lol: ;) 

Speaking of which, the M06L Beetle reel I posted a few days ago on instagram is doing rather well, captured some big name RC and Beetle enthusiast followers which is very encouraging.  In hindsight there are a few areas I could have done better on that reel, so will apply what I learned on the next reel.  Same shot sequence so that folks can see and compare my various cars if they like.  B)    I hope to have a whole collection by end of 2024.

I think I want to get some mini faux plants to place in the background as shrubs..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Willy iine¬†Thank you! I¬īm pleased. Hehe no interior on this one, but I plan to have on the next, not sure if it¬īll be the large bobble head ones though¬†:D

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, OnTheTrail said:

Someone (who shall remain nameless :unsure:) forgot to order a bearing kit for the Fiat 131 so that got pushed to the side of the bench for now so I figure I'd put this kit together.   While I've had a few Traxxas RTRs, this is the first kit from them I've build.  Actually pretty impressed.   Nice instructions, great hardware, well packaged parts bags but most impressive is how little slop there is in the suspension.   A lot of Tamiya kits I've built have quite a bit of slop that needs tinkering and/or lots of shims.  The Traxxas was just very tight right out of the box.   This went together in about a night and a half. 

Slash 1.jpg

Slash or nice. I have the same kit that I am prepping for Mudboss racing this spring.  The slash chassis is mandatory. Dirt oval racing based on full scale dirt modified race cars. 

The picture shows a slash mudboss racer 

images.jpeg

• Like 2

*Nods at @F-150's mudboss racer*.      What scale is that?

For me, got the FPV shot done just now.  :D   It took me no more than 15 min tops (setup to finish) to get the shot I wanted.   This is the pace I want to maintain with my video taking side as I'm not a digital creator.   That MicroRS4 camera car is doing great.  I'm running a ESC/RX combo unit taken off my Flamingo since I'm running a 1:18 ESC and Spektrum receiver on that trike.  The ESC/RX combo has good modulation so it makes it easy to control the camera car.  B)

Unfortunately for hands-on RC side, I need to head to the office today for my money making gig as my pretend_RC_shop generates no revenue.. so that's pretty much all for today.  I think I'm going to shop for faux plants during my break. :lol:

1 hour ago, F-150 said:

I have the same kit that I am prepping for Mudboss racing this spring.  The slash chassis is mandatory. Dirt oval racing based on full scale dirt modified race cars. 

I have a friend that ran Mudboss indoor for a few years.   He said it's a great way to get into racing without needing a huge budget.   My plans are to run this at an indoor track series specifically for stock Slashes.  

TA02 build complete,  I don't plan on running the chassis, will just shelf it instead.  Temporary lid will be a well used, well raced 993 GT2 body.  I have a NIB still, but need to find a livery before I paint it up, preferably something that raced in Europe. Would be nice if Tamiya started to release these body sets again.. 

IMG_1777.jpeg

• Like 8

11 hours ago, OnTheTrail said:

Nice instructions, great hardware, well packaged parts bags but most impressive is how little slop there is in the suspension.   A lot of Tamiya kits I've built have quite a bit of slop that needs tinkering and/or lots of shims.  The Traxxas was just very tight right out of the box.   This went together in about a night and a half. 

Slash 1.jpg

Isn't it nice having machine screws? Bellcrank steering that works? Ballbearings?(!!!)

I'm not a big Slash fan, but Traxxas does make decent entry level kits at the end of the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

*Nods at @F-150's mudboss racer*.      What scale is that?

It's 1/10th Traxxas Slash with a dirt oval body and some other minor modifications. The one in the picture is not mine, mines not built yet. I have the same exact body as that one.

They have different classes from totally stock slash right down to the tires, to 12 turn, low center of gravity modified slash. I drove someone's at a local track and I knew I had to do this. I was surprised that all they are is a slash.

Here's a video of some mudboss racing. I also want to try 4wd buggy racing this year and have an associated B74.1 kit I got on clearance after the .2's came out. Got it for 180 dollars less so why not.

I'm getting away from collecting shelf pieces to getting actual usable cars that I can run without worrying about hurting the value. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, F-150 said:

It's 1/10th Traxxas Slash with a dirt oval body and some other minor modifications. The one in the picture is not mine, mines not built yet. I have the same exact body as that one.

They have different classes from totally stock slash right down to the tires, to 12 turn, low center of gravity modified slash. I drove someone's at a local track and I knew I had to do this. I was surprised that all they are is a slash.

Here's a video of some mudboss racing. I also want to try 4wd buggy racing this year and have an associated B74.1 kit I got on clearance after the .2's came out. Got it for 180 dollars less so why not.

I'm getting away from collecting shelf pieces to getting actual usable cars that I can run without worrying about hurting the value. 

Man, that looks like fun.

I raced dirt oval BITD (mostly converted RC10 and CW Dominator) and I really miss it.  I still have those cars but have nowhere close by to race them. :mellow:

Here's my scratch made RC10 sprint car.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Anyway, thanks for posting the video and bringing back some great memories.  :)

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, IXLR8 said:

Man, that looks like fun.

I raced dirt oval BITD (mostly converted RC10 and CW Dominator) and I really miss it.  I still have those cars but have nowhere close by to race them. :mellow:

They have classes from stock slash to what you have, a converted RC10 which would be the unlimited/modified class. I have a Custom Works Outlaw-4 sprinter that I will drive half way through next season. For now I'm just getting my feet wet. 

My Outlaw-4 is not direct drive that I wanted, but our rules say no direct drives. 

Is that RC10 sprint one with the old conversion? I know back in the day they had oval track conversion kits for the gold pan. I'd like to get a used gold pan and build a classic oval car like that later...back in the day I was a kid and couldn't afford....boy was I a jealous kid back then lol.

I have a mudboss track about 12 miles from me.

Nice car....  That is real cool, I'm a huge full scale sprint car fan, even worked on a crew once that raced 360 c.i sprint cars. Awesome machines.

Today I dropped on the floor a part even more annoying than the famous E-clip. One single ball out of a thrust bearing. 1/16". Gah! Now that is never getting found. What a fool.

If anyone has one they'd like to swap for half a tonne of E-clips let me know! 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Today I dropped on the floor a part even more annoying than the famous E-clip. One single ball out of a thrust bearing. 1/16". Gah! Now that is never getting found. What a fool.

If anyone has one they'd like to swap for half a tonne of E-clips let me know! 

Had crawled around on the floor with a torch for 10 minutes but gave up then wrote the above. There are gaps around the floor and under the skirting board, there's the deep and evil hairy place under the fridge and whatever great unknowns exist under that kitchen island, where no one's ever dared to venture. A fool's errand for sure. So I emailed RCJaz, from whom I await an order, to see if they'd pop a spare in the envelope.

But a few minutes later a change of heart. We have a shiny new vacuum cleaner, one of those Dyson ones in which you can see the fruits of your labour spinning round in a transparent plastic vortex. A passable chance, thinks I, that a recently lost little steel ball could be among this floor's more suckable particles. So I moved the furniture, went round methodically with the space aged wonder machine, felt something under my sock, directly under the chair where I'd been sitting at the fateful moment, and lo and behold, Hallelujah, THERE IS A GOD! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

felt something under my sock, directly under the chair where I'd been sitting at the fateful moment, and lo and behold, Hallelujah, THERE IS A GOD! 

Great to hear.   Oh, and if ever anyone in the future says to you, "that's like finding a needle in a haystack", you can respond with:

"Hold my beer...."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

What have I done today? .... Slapped myself for looking at another collectable rccar after I vowed to get NO MORE shelf cars or vintage re releases or anymore cars whatsoever this year.

But I go and look at the Super Dog Fighter that just came out, watched a video and I want a SUPER DOG FIGHTER so baaadddd!!!!!ūüėÖ

Like 500 dollars all said and done, no no no....I tell myself..

I never thought I'd like one of those, but reading about their extensive history, winning many races and just how it is set up....man that thing is cool!.

I gotta walk away from it tho....just like the JJ Ultima, optima worlds, rc10cc and now the super dog fighter. 

Still going to hold out for a TOMS and a Ultima 2 pro, hopefully next year, but this year, nope...I vowed after I bought my 600 dollar RC10 gold pan, that it was it for a long long time.

But dammit the SDF is so awesome!!... I hope those of you that get one, enjoy it a lot. I'll be watching the threads 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F-150 said:

They have classes from stock slash to what you have, a converted RC10 which would be the unlimited/modified class. I have a Custom Works Outlaw-4 sprinter that I will drive half way through next season. For now I'm just getting my feet wet. 

My Outlaw-4 is not direct drive that I wanted, but our rules say no direct drives. 

Is that RC10 sprint one with the old conversion? I know back in the day they had oval track conversion kits for the gold pan. I'd like to get a used gold pan and build a classic oval car like that later...back in the day I was a kid and couldn't afford....boy was I a jealous kid back then lol.

I have a mudboss track about 12 miles from me.

Nice car....  That is real cool, I'm a huge full scale sprint car fan, even worked on a crew once that raced 360 c.i sprint cars. Awesome machines.

Thanks!

Well, I have an Ascot RC10 sprint car conversion kit in a box somewhere but the car in my photo was almost entirely scratch made by a racer buddy from BITD.  Very little of the donor RC10 remains - basically just arms, uprights and bulkheads.  Trans is TPS chain drive and shocks are by Delta.

When I left racing in early '90's, the direct drive cars were just entering the market.  Custom Works makes some amazing RC's, that's for certain.

That's awesome that you have a track so close.  Sadly, there are no RC tracks within 50 miles of where we live.