Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Slowly putting this together.

Removing the stickers revealed a really discoloured shell, probably due to 30 years of UV exposure, so I decide to paint. My first go around was an utter disaster. Why? Well, my usual spray paint brand of choice, the hycote XUK acrylic range really didn't want to stick because (I realise now) I had picked up caliper paint; I thought 'caliper blue' was a colour description like 'post office red' or 'crocodile green' but actually no, it's for........ painting calipers (whatever they are) and it utterly failed to work with the ABS. 😅 So I had to take it all off and start again. 

After much scrubbing I cleaned it off and this evening I repainted with Tetrion Mild Blue. It was super easy, so I will keep a look out for this brand.

7BDkrhq.jpeg

I am happy with how totally 80s monster truck it's looking. It's around 1/16 or GF01 size so much smaller than a Clod or such but has similar proportions. 

I will print some simple bigfoot stickers and stick on. Power is with AA batteries and a 2030 Ezrun. I have made a few of these but never with such a nice shell.

PS I have since learned that crocodile green is NOT for painting crocodiles, it just makes them angry. These things should come with some sort of warning.

• Like 7

On 2/17/2024 at 8:24 PM, BuggyDad said:

Oh man, I've got to get myself to one of these. Will do soon. So many cars I'd like to run round a track like that just for fun with like minded folk. 

If you're talking about this:

20240217_122119

I'm in 100% full and complete agreement. I've got a CR01 with a Landcruiser J80 body on it which I love, but every time I see a monsterised one with a Ranger body it just makes my knees tremble.......

• Like 4

well, yesterday really, but finally painted my Christmas present.
Please be kind, first build in 40+ years since my Rough Rider in 1979 (gosh I feel old) and first time cutting out a lexan body and painting one!
And accidentally purchased a Hornet re re last week although my goal is to have another Rough Rider one day (got a sand scorcher shell waiting for that project too )

2038340420_WhatsAppImage2024-02-19at12_18.43_b8cb1eb5.thumb.jpg.8822e20f9f387fe2ca2f02f44c709965.jpg2109026233_WhatsAppImage2024-02-19at12_18.43_014f7345.thumb.jpg.e6e28d008957b3efc31f9bb571482a8f.jpg

• Like 13

4 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

If you're talking about this:

20240217_122119

I'm in 100% full and complete agreement. I've got a CR01 with a Landcruiser J80 body on it which I love, but every time I see a monsterised one with a Ranger body it just makes my knees tremble.......

Well I was referring to my own buggies that I'd like to try out on a track without the competitiveness of racing, but if I had something like that it'd be right up the list too. 

• Haha 1

New project disease strikes, I will try to match the spirit of the original colour with a touch of motorsport. Second last photo on far left of the lexan cut off shows me combining two PS paints as a brief experiment attempting to achieve something similar. Right half has two other colours combined for a Honda match.

N1BF7Mc.jpeg

k4RlpGU.jpeg

QEJ6o2f.jpeg

iIeR2PI.jpeg

G9DhRqp.jpeg

• Like 11

Got son's DT-03 CVAs reassembled with blank pistons drilled to 3x1.3mm on the rear and 400 oil. They feel to me on the bench like the rears need a bit less damping (I'll probably drill them to 1.4mm one evening) but in driving terms it is already a big step forward. You can really get the power down with it now. Rear end grip is good (for the conditions). Another example of how smoother shocks can make a big difference in driving terms. I'm becoming obsessed 😉

That's my son's orange one with big wheels. Mine (yellow) is already handling nicely. So now they're pretty well matched. Different, mainly because wheel size, but both good. His feels quicker, but in a drag race they come out about the same. Mine has softer damping all round, it tracks rough terrain with aplomb and I like that, but I couldn't say for sure it's "better". I expect his will be far more capable at bigger landings. 

20240219_160743

There was a mishap. Big hit did for a 3d printed rear knuckle. But it was a big hit and the failure does not show a design weakness (to my eye). And a swing shaft (maybe I can straighten it? That's where the cost is). It was a collision between the two cars (dad more to blame than son) and the other one is fine, they are tough little b***ers these two. 

20240219_160601

Occurred to me also that a 3d printed part like this, while expensive on the surface, can be a relatively cheap fix simply because you only have to buy the one part, not a whole parts tree. I have a pair in stock for a future project so son's DT can steal one of those and the project await the next order. 

Addendum: these truck tyres are very good for our general use. JC Racing King Pin on the back, Schumacher stagger rib on the front. 

• Like 11

Very cool @technics, although I'm not sure it'll be easy to replicate the bonnet scoop of the Cooper S...

Tamiya made the OG 5-spoke "Spider" wheels in a Ltd edition white moulding. They would look pretty cool B) I saw some for sale on Yahoo auctions, but they had yellowed so would need some work. I would have bought them but I couldn't find the bodyset, so fair play to you!

• Like 2

My buyee xv01 showed up today! So I disassembled it so I could put all the hop ups onto my other one :D

IMG_2622.thumb.jpeg.920da7a70d313a96c0b3e73f85683bdd.jpeg

Now I have a pile of spare xv01 parts to deal with, plan to build a stock one with them but maybe I’ll have to build two.

IMG_2623.thumb.jpeg.00a5f219464ff23c029aac502f402f58.jpeg

I bought the grey clodbuster when it came out. Assuming it came with a mechanical speed control because I was too lazy to read, I bought a hobbywing 880 for it. Since it came with one and the other original clod sitting in the garage was already updated, it’s been sitting in the parts bin and I’ve been wanting to use it on something. Wanted to do a simple dual motor without sourcing tons of parts or making my own, so figured I’d build a ta03 but wasn’t finding the parts as cheap or available as I’d like. Came across the Embie Racing chassis (lets you easily build a rear motor xv as seen in @Verskis thread) a few months ago so decided it’d be the simplest way to make my pointless creation, so I ordered one and started to build :D. Unfortunately the rear motor doesn’t allow the use of the mud guards so I left those off, and still waiting for my steering servo to show up :(. So here’s the result of me having a spare esc sitting around :lol::

IMG_2625.thumb.jpeg.b417e9f4e9e5b3683a4f9f7518f7f3ef.jpegIMG_2626.thumb.jpeg.db6a95af9d83924176812376446b6514.jpeg

After the pics I realized I put the rear body posts on backwards, they’ve been fixed, hopefully I didn’t mess up anything else :lol:

• Like 17

I've finished the Alfa Giulia Sprint on the M-06 chassis and used the optional GTA 1300 Junior decal set to make it a bit different from boxart.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've used Tamiya PS2 red for a few projects in the past and I really wish I had a camera that could accurately capture this pure, rich beautiful color.  My Olympus always makes it look a bit orange. 

• Like 25

First lexan paint experience, 4 coats done.  Very chuffed with the window masks, just smoke to apply tomorrow then can see what’s under the outer film!

IMG_0166.jpeg

• Like 13

I drove this little guy all around the apartment making little obstacle courses and stuff to climb over. I am loving this thing! Still too cold to paint so the body is gonna be nekkid for a while. 

IMG_5386.jpeg

• Like 14

3 hours ago, gogsyfinnie said:

First lexan paint experience, 4 coats done.  Very chuffed with the window masks, just smoke to apply tomorrow then can see what’s under the outer film!

IMG_0166.jpeg

Looks great for a10th paint job let alone your first!

Good luck with your window smoke.   Here's three steps for window smoke:

1- Spray VERY light coats

2- Spray VERY light coats

3- Repeat steps 2 and 3.......

• Like 5

4 hours ago, OnTheTrail said:

Looks great for a10th paint job let alone your first!

Good luck with your window smoke.   Here's three steps for window smoke:

1- Spray VERY light coats

2- Spray VERY light coats

3- Repeat steps 2 and 3.......

Thank you!  Very happy with it so far.

Will heed your advice on the light smoke application.  Last time I was spraying smoke paint it was to black out the rear lights on my MG Metro circa 1999 and it was a heavy handed application 😂

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, gogsyfinnie said:

Thank you!  Very happy with it so far.

Will heed your advice on the light smoke application.  Last time I was spraying smoke paint it was to black out the rear lights on my MG Metro circa 1999 and it was a heavy handed application 😂

Yeah PS-31 smoke is very tricky, because it darkens as it dries. This means that when you apply it, you can't see it. It's like you've applied a fine varnish. It can also mean getting consistency across a large bodyshell is...problematic! Really light coats and I would add to what @OnTheTrail says and leave 20 minutes between 'coats' as this will give you a better idea of the amount of tint...

It's very stressful, especially if you have an expensive bodyshell!

To make matters worse, and I've found this with all Tamiya translucent paints, if you apply them too thick they 'attack' existing paint finishes :blink:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, gogsyfinnie said:

IMG_0166.jpeg

Nice 👍🏻 Just to add about the Smoke, maybe squirt a bit on some Lexan off cuts first to get the feel of it.

I find heating the can in some just boiled water helps for a more consistent mist coverage. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, IXLR8 said:

I've finished the Alfa Giulia Sprint on the M-06 chassis and used the optional GTA 1300 Junior decal set to make it a bit different from boxart.

spacer.png

Looks great to me 😃

I’ve kind of committed to another Giulia body myself as I ordered the wheels the other day. Hoping the XM-01 isn’t to pricey around these parts when it arrives for it to sit on 🤞🏻 

• Thanks 1

Next step in the conversion of my TA02 from touring car to drift car. Replaced the ball differential with a locked bevel differential. I also replaced the ancient and heavy brushless set with a 60A / 19t brushed combo: small, light and easy to handle.
Drifting actually went a little better now. A friend brought his MST Drifter with him. Apart from the typical specs of a drift car, the difference in weight was particularly noticeable. By the way my new homemade Pit Bag Vers. II "Eco"  proved very useful in its first practical use.  :-)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Thanks all for the tips on the smoke!  For today’s effort it was 3 very light coats, dry in between and very happy with the result.  Wasn’t looking for a dark tint as I’d like to fit a rally cockpit in the future and actually see inside!  

As ever the hints and tips on this forum are invaluable

IMG_4538.jpeg

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Looks great to me 😃

I’ve kind of committed to another Giulia body myself as I ordered the wheels the other day. Hoping the XM-01 isn’t to pricey around these parts when it arrives for it to sit on 🤞🏻 

Thanks!

That should make a great build.

So. where have you found wheels?  I was looking for them last week but no success.  I'd like to have a spare set to mount slicks. 

• Like 1

Measured, drew, printed x3 times over before I clicked order. Hope they turn out well. Some oem+ decals for my civic project(s) 

( most definitely not the wheels i will use ) on the desk placeholders 

nyRM3wj.jpeg

wbfCA14.jpeg

es22ov6.jpeg

bgJ0kgC.jpeg

Dsf1seR.jpeg

• Like 15

More work on the GT3 Cup on TT02 Type S Chassis. Messed up and ripped a couple of the stickers...

Still yet to do the light buckets and trim the body posts. Also waiting on some different rims, but its getting there. Will try it as a postal racer, currently has a cheapo GoolRC non-sensored motor in it.

Compress_20240220_152839_9075.thumb.jpg.675590b97083ff2bcf64d31d17d6630b.jpg

• Like 16

More progress this afternoon.

I think just about ever rally car livery was red/white in the 70's and 80's it's all I seem to paint.😅

53541696029_a36fd7eeef_k.jpg

• Like 16

Entertained today by more DT-03 action after replacing rear knuckles with kit ones temporarily. Son had friend round for the day. Constant busy pit crew, amazingly found a lost spring in the gravel yard, three times over two days. Time to replace the offending eyelet. Noticed at one point the friend ragging a buggy about while son rapped the theme tune to Fresh Prince, standing atop a van. Oh so very 1990s...

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, IXLR8 said:

So. where have you found wheels?  I was looking for them last week but no success.  I'd like to have a spare set to mount slicks. 

I found some (I hope) at RC Hobbyland, no picture of them, just part numbers. I may have got the last ones as they say ‘out of stock’ now 😬

RC Mart still have stock, I nearly went with them initially as they had the body as well. Wheels were 6 bucks delivery but shot up to 75 with the body added 😳 so I’ll probably just go RCJaz for that instead.

• Thanks 1