Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Kowalski86 said:

There's supposed to be a 30% off sale going for brand new ones, might be cheaper than buying from a breaker.

Right now based off AMain’s sale price 

Clear body,+ accessories set ( roll bar , carburetor etc ) + grill come out to a little less than the painted assembled body is right now . 
Add in paint plus time and it’s pretty close either way. 
To me , the advantage of getting a clear one  is it comes with decals and window masks . The RTR assembled body has painted windows with stickers for windows 

I carved a wing out of a slightly larger wing, with a pair of scissors, for my frog build.

This is the frog's 'runner body'  I'm also working on a shelf body with a yellow wing 

DSCF6627.JPG

• Like 11

I havent really done anything related to rc for some time now.All my rc cars are broken... 2wd slash broke a rear knuckle and 6 year old bearings so rusty they are stuck inside (i never cleaned them even when it got submerged into the ocean 3 times lol ), tt02 servo saver is done and my nitro slash motor went kaput.Here comes summer!

I converted the second bathroom in the basement into a temporary spray booth to paint some parts for the Javelin... :lol: Needs reverting, before the Misses finds out! 

IMG_20240223_103410945.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

12 minutes ago, donfilippo said:

I converted the second bathroom in the basement into a temporary spray booth to paint some parts for the Javelin... :lol: Needs reverting, before the Misses finds out! 

Hope she doesn't find out! Slippery slope. Booth looks great though.

57 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Hope she doesn't find out! Slippery slope. Booth looks great though.

Yes, bit risky. But I did not want to wait until the weather gets better! 

Spotlights and headlamps today...

My OCD is screaming at me to straighten the spotlamps up but this is standard practice.

53546242822_d2fe6e5ed0_k.jpg

• Like 21

Put in a Plaza Japan order today, my first in a while. 

Having had my Tamiya plastic nippers for about nine years, I bought some from another brand for my other 'plastic crack' hobby. Within six months, I've broken them.

So, new nippers ordered along with some tape and M chassis tyres and foams.

• Like 2

Using the MST vertical servo mounts I changed the position of the servo in my XV01 (inspired by the experiences and wisdom of some TC members). Now it should happen less often that the servo horn gets blocked by small stones, which means I can no longer steer properly. These little moments of shock were not my favorite experiences, even if it only happened twice.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

A small victory today, I partially rebuild the TNXs front gearbox/suspension.
It'll have to wait now for the new knuckels/uprights I ordered on eBay to arrive, as 1 of the original ones is broken.

The rear differential needs to wait for the Tamico order to arrive, so no progress there.

The steering rack has a lot of play in it due to 2 aluminium axels that are badly worn due to the slide bearings. I've filled the grooves with JB-weld, and will rebuild with the 8x5x2.5mm  ball bearings.

One more dirty job on the to-do list: strip, clean and rebuild/fill the shocks.

• Like 4

Impreza done!  Very happy with the result, although steering is pretty sloppy so tie rods and kimborough servo saver on their way, contemplating some metal bits with bearings too!

IMG_4549 Copy.jpeg

• Like 14

12 hours ago, donfilippo said:

I too have turned a spare bathroom into a winter paint booth before… and now my vent fan is orange :lol:, I figured all the other stuff I painted after would cover it up and turn it white again (I painted lots of white stuff after), but guess orange is the only color it can suck up or sticks or something :lol:

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, naturbo2000 said:

I added some bling to the Top Force Evo. I race it, and the price Plaza Japan wanted for these shocks was just too tempting to turn down.

embed?resid=F34B5BC67882BE09!217403&auth

Amusingly, those collars and bottom mounts are the only blue on the build.

Looks lovely, that. Where did you get those shock cap protectors? They look like they should do a good job without standing out too much. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, donfilippo said:

I tried something similar several years ago. Theres still red paint on the carpet behind the tv in the living room today. That paint dust travels everywhere.

• Haha 3

My homebrew buggy "Project X" is a runner! 

20240223_215945

I've only given it a quick spin and it was dark, but it drives pretty nicely I think. Very planted, predictable, much more balanced than my more basic buggies and pretty fast too with a 27 tooth pinion in a BBX gearbox. 

20240223_220801 20240223_215725 20240223_224117 20240223_215825

It's mainly my own design, made with 3d printed plastic parts and a chassis made out of a CF sheet base and a pair of vertical CF sheet sides for bracing. Gearbox is off a BBX and rear shock tower a TD4 but there aren't many other donor parts. 

• Like 28

Rather than be a responsible adult I set up the lap timer and track today :D. Forgot to charge anything that I could record videos of the laps with though but hopefully I’ll remember tomorrow.

First car I brought out is the Volvo semi! Finally! Was a blast, I was shocked at how fast and stable it actually was. It only tipped over once, due to hitting a large bump at high speed while cornering. Other than the one time I could not get it to roll. The track I setup seemed to be a little to small to use 3rd gear so basically just ran it in second whole time, only had one real tight turn that it might have benefited to drop it into 1st but didn’t bother, I’ll play around with shifting more next time. The suspension is garbage, no real surprise, it’s leaf springs dampened by more springs, I’ve already been looking into different ways to add oil filled dampeners to it, which will probably be the first upgrade as I turn it into a race truck. It did however manage to be just under 1 second a lap slower than my other car so I am quite pleased.

The other car I ran was the dual motor XV01. At first was tail happy but very controllable. Had me thinking it’d make a great drift car. From time to time it’d feel like an overpowered rwd, but still manageable. As I drove it more it stayed feeling like a rwd. After I finished running it I took a look and the reason the feel kept changing was because the front motor only worked intermittently. By the end it was only rwd :(, going to try swapping the front motor out first and see what happens.

IMG_2629.thumb.jpeg.2f7c5b338a09a25872c1ec2de263e8c5.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

Looks lovely, that. Where did you get those shock cap protectors? They look like they should do a good job without standing out too much. 

Cheap ebay UK item: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403791147593

Were required for one place I've driven and now mostly courtesy to look after the carpet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2024 at 6:49 AM, bRIBEGuy said:

It's amazing how they managed to make a simple and intuitive process so darn terrible.  :blink:

On 2/23/2024 at 7:20 AM, toyolien said:

Tell me about it! I'm looking for another hoster, even if i have to pay...

My Flickr account is basically full (without paying for pro), and I cant get TCPhoto’s to work for me (Apparently I have an account but cant reset the password, just dont get emails), so was looking at imgur, but this feedback above doesnt sound great

48 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

My Flickr account is basically full (without paying for pro), and I cant get TCPhoto’s to work for me (Apparently I have an account but cant reset the password, just dont get emails), so was looking at imgur, but this feedback above doesnt sound great

Same here, it's maddening. 

• Thanks 1

My titanium coated shock shafts arrived the other day so I put my shocks together and I think I'm done with my TC01 now :D. Except for the body :lol:

IMG_2632.thumb.jpeg.2aa178df520aa279f8db239872347da7.jpeg

• Like 11

Got some shocks in the mail today but other than that and maybe some tire foams some day, this one is done.   While the body was pre-painted (which was nice) the decals could be challenging on this one.  Have almost two full nights cutting these out and applying them.   The blue stripes on the wheels I thought were going to be tricky and I left them for dead last actually went on super easy.   Tricky to cut out quite easy to apply.  

gtr d.jpg

gt3 b.jpg

gtr a.jpg

gtr c.jpg

• Like 13

14 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

My homebrew buggy "Project X" is a runner! 

20240223_215945

Yay for that! That Tomahawk (?) body looks so good on there. :)

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2024 at 11:34 PM, naturbo2000 said:

I added some bling to the Top Force Evo. I race it, and the price Plaza Japan wanted for these shocks was just too tempting to turn down.

embed?resid=F34B5BC67882BE09!217403&auth

Amusingly, those collars and bottom mounts are the only blue on the build.

What part number are those shocks?