Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

How cool is that! 

The dampers or the dickie bird?

My lad hand reared him from a week old chick after he was rejected, he has the whole house for myself!

The damper cylinders cost less than buying stuff for Frank 🙄

• Haha 1

I've been trying to get rid of the CR-01 sitting on the bench getting dusty, by setting the electronics today. It's moving around, like an old crab (get can't the two servos to play together correctly - baah!). Half success. Sort of.

• Like 2

My GF01 now has Absima crawler tyres on Tamiya rims. I think they look better on the Land Cruiser than the original ones. Will see if they perform as well. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

I've now idea how @Re-Bugged gets such amazing airborne shots, whilst I struggle to take a photo of a simple wheelie!

Practice practice practice 😉

Pistol & trigger controllers certainly help as it’s easier to drive with just the left hand so the right hand can take (literally) hundreds photos on burst mode to get a couple of good ones.

I had to re-learn a bit once Apple changed the burst mode from a simple hold the button in to drag it left a bit and hold. I think it’s possible to take still’s from a video clip but I haven’t tried yet.

Love that Big Foot of yours by the way 👍🏻

• Like 3

* One of those ‘Double post’ phenomenon*

I'm an incurable Jeepaholic. :D  

I bought this FMS-ROC Hobby 1/6 scale Jeep a couple years ago and although I like driving it, it’s always seemed a bit too slow for me – it’s truly a “Crawler”.  So today I replaced the FMS-branded 35t 550 motor with a peppy little Traxxas 20t 540 unit.

AP1GczNeK4tg2FAzuIeIzRPnaEAJrq5_4TAi0mNG

Now, it’s fast enough to fling payload out of the trailer…

AP1GczMeL6tkEMyJgFuxy1YOtu9VFW8ixa_KUKhi

… but not quite this fast.  

AP1GczOHrf6BMZemGpL3Thb9aMG11ivPRrXOR9Dm

I’ve also taken some time today to do a little research.  Please pardon me while I geek-out on a little Jeep history. :D

The US Government’s contract to produce Jeeps was awarded to Willys-Overland Motors and Ford Motor Company in 1941.  The Jeep’s design actually belonged to Bantam USA (they won the design contest) but the US War Department’s daily production requirement greatly exceeded Bantam’s manufacturing capacity (they employed 15 workers at the time) so manufacturing rights were handed to Willys and Ford.  Of the roughly 647 thousand WWII Jeeps, about 277 thousand were made by Ford. Anyway, during war-time production, Willys' Jeep was known as an “MB” while Ford's were called the “GPW” (G=government, P=wheelbase code (80”), and W=Willys engine design). 

This FMS RC model is marketed as a “1941 Willys MB”.  Early Willys Jeeps included a multi-part grille (similar to the original Bantam’s) that was constructed from flat stock – they are called “slat grille MBs”. 

AP1GczO7YKcXRWA8bGMiETIJO1G2Wqbx-S2n-tAJ

Since the Willys grille was (needlessly) complex, Ford suggested a much simpler-to-make single-piece stamped steel part (it featured 9 slots), the Government approved the design change so all Fords and post-‘41 Willys featured the new stamped grille.  This FMS model includes the 9-slot grille so it cannot be a ’41 Willys but it could be ’42 or later. 

AP1GczOvgCZ58thpQy13SB7k3oD4U_IUWM9U_2TC

But there’s more.

There are a few subtle differences between Willys' MB and Ford's GPW; The glove box door and speedometer markings to name a couple.  This model actually includes the projected glove box door and speedometer marked in 1 MPH increments which were featured in the Ford GPW.  The MB's glove box doors were flat and speedos were marked in 10 MPH increments. 

FMS-ROCHOBBY-1-6-1941-MB-SCALER-INSTRUME

So why is FMS calling this a “Willys MB”?  Probably because most fans of the Jeep have always associated it with Willys-Overland; it’s a "Willys Jeep".  Also, since Willys-Overland Motors no longer exists (the company became defunct when it merged with Kaiser in 1953), this saves FMS licensing costs.

I’ve also learned that:

“Jeep” is not slang for GP

“GP” does not mean “general purpose”

and “Willys” is pronounced “will – ess” not “will – ease”.

Okay, most of this will appear on Monday's exam.  I hope you were taking notes.  :)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Made some wheels look more vivid with some paint I’m happy with for the Subaru and the Honda.  Made small logos for the enkeis. Not perfect as I noticed an error but it’s enough to please the eye imo. Happy Friday everyone! 

EZLbs5a.jpeg

5lei1cM.jpeg

qe0cJWp.jpeg

nDzPjeu.jpeg

• Like 12

23 hours ago, RyantheRed said:

Minor after-bash repairs and adjustments to the trophy truck.

20240418_191505.jpg

Thank you for calling it a "trophy truck", as opposed to a "crawler".

On my end, I picked up a scratch and dent Redcat "drift" car. It's a decent runner if cheaply made in some areas (ton's of self tappers). What's nice is that it takes AE and Tamiya springs, there's plenty of adjustability out of the box, and bodies are cheap. Also, this tire setup is awful, but it's all that I have to work with for now.

20240419_154443.jpg

• Like 5

Working on the TNX's 3D printed body.
It's currently sitting in plastic primer, I'll spray-putty it later today.

Up first: tidy up the Ray-cave. It is quite a mess..... :lol:

• Like 3

Purchase a NIP hop up shock spring set for the XV01. 

Nice and cheap £10 delivered 💥

• Like 3

I have a lot of cars/bodys waiting to be made, but this audi came in last week and i just had to make it.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-20 at 15.51.33.jpeg

• Like 16

On 4/18/2024 at 8:20 AM, chris.alex said:

My GF01 now has Absima crawler tyres on Tamiya rims. I think they look better on the Land Cruiser than the original ones. Will see if they perform as well. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Are diffs locked? It looks very cool and would be a great trail rig.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 5:20 PM, chris.alex said:

spacer.png

Looks great! What size are these tyres? I was sort of thinking they might go well with a Wild Willy 2 too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimBear said:

Looks great! What size are these tyres? I was sort of thinking they might go well with a Wild Willy 2 too.

I did something similar for a while

1000014418.png

but went back to the original wheel / tyre combo in the end, just not quite silly enough. Reckon they would suit the 4WD version better though.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sogogi said:

Are diffs locked? It looks very cool and would be a great trail rig.

Thanks. I locked the rear diff using the CC01 diff-lock parts which is very easy compared to diff putty. At the next opportunity I'll see if it's more off-road capable now. Didn't lock the front diff because I was afraid of a reduction in manoeuvrability. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

By the way I was very pleased with the excellent condition of the diffs and the whole gearbox. It looked like i had just built it yesterday and not eight years ago. And the vehicle has been through a lot. 🙂

Edited by chris.alex
Added pictures
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JimBear said:

Thanks! Diameter is 110-112mm, width is 40mm. I used rims with 6mm offset. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chris.alex said:

Thanks. I locked the rear diff using the CC01 diff-lock parts which is very easy compared to diff putty. At the next opportunity I'll see if it's more off-road capable now. Didn't lock the front diff because I was afraid of a reduction in manoeuvrability. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

By the way I was very pleased with the excellent condition of the diffs and the whole gearbox. It looked like i had just built it yesterday and not eight years ago. And the vehicle has been through a lot. 🙂

That is great to know! I heard it is hard to clean if diff is locked with diff putty. 

I really like the new aluminum roll bar on my CC02.  As it turns out, the ebay seller had a second one…

Fresh out if the packaging:
L8MW0Oy.jpeg

After a scrub with hot Dawn water:

EnHsxBR.jpeg

After a good run-down with some 3000grit paper:
cTNbahx.jpeg

And finally, after a nice rub-down wiyh some Mothers brand aluminum polish (Home Depot): 
mpY4qnT.jpeg

Looks beautiful in the poor light of my RC Room (the dining room).

Terry

• Like 6

Tidied up the bench and surrounding bomb site then proceeded to install the YR blue bling on the back end of my M06 😃

IMG_7776.jpeg

As I was that chuffed with it I then polished the TT motor a bit before putting it back in. 

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I did something similar for a while

1000014418.png

but went back to the original wheel / tyre combo in the end, just not quite silly enough. Reckon they would suit the 4WD version better though.

The GF01/6 wheels fit and look pretty decent as well imo 👍

BD366-A75-45-F0-40-F3-B6-AE-F977047-C597

• Like 1

Had a great week off, spent some quality time with my wife, got some stuff done on the ‘honey do list’ and even managed a little ‘T’ time.

Been quite a spendy month on RC, however there’s more than enough lined up to keep me away from eBay.

I’m going to initially just work on the Blitzer and XV01, with a plan to then build the Grasshopper and finish the Sand Scorcher.

I’ll pick up some small bits a long the way for the Lunchbox kit and paint for the TT02D.

The plan is too use as many of the spares I have and make the most of what I already own.

Realised along the way I have a lot of wheels and tyres and that I also have a lot of motors and shock absorbers….I’m sure this is a common problem 😂

Picked these up yesterday @ £4 each from Asda, very happy 😊

image.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I did something similar for a while but went back to the original wheel / tyre combo in the end, just not quite silly enough. Reckon they would suit the 4WD version better though.

Silly is Wild Willy country, really! :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy pants said:

The GF01/6 wheels fit and look pretty decent as well imo 👍

BD366-A75-45-F0-40-F3-B6-AE-F977047-C597

You're absolutely right - got a set in my stash but have never fitted them!

Yet another project that has never been realised - it requires a refresh of the WW2 body and the use of TS paint. The paint cans have been waiting in my paint store for quite a while now :ph34r:

That combo of black body with the chrome chassis and low profile tyres looks mean.

• Like 2