Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Loads of work done on the Hilux since I last updated, 3 pages of updates in my showroom;

Part 6, part 7, part 8.

Scratchbuilt an ARB winch bumper for my new 3 Racing winch.

Cosmetic work shaping & sanding the moonvisor.

More work done on the dropped bed, scrapped the previous wheelarch design & did it properly.

Rear light buckets built & reflectors added.

Made a working tilt bed for battery access.

Basic electrics installed & tested.

Gearshift linkage redesigned, tested & working.

Converted my lowly 3 channel radio to a full 6 channels !

Everything's packed!!!

Off I go to Tamiya-meeting in Eskilstuna Sweden!!!

So, What have you done today?

Badboy

An awesome day and alot of awesome people!!!

PICT0154.jpg

Tamiya meet 2009!!!

(more than half of the cars where already gone when the pic was taken)

Badboy

My friend Dennan shot this at the Tamiya Meet 09.

Thanks Dennan.

It's two Rough Rider fighting...? (mine and a friends)

It's me in purple hooddy...

Badboy

Very busy day. Not only did we register our marriage, put in an offer on our first house, and go out for dinner to celebrate but...

Took the Pajero for its first run. SuperStock BZ motor is still binding when warm. It's really odd - the truck won't move unless given a little shunt. Motor brushes binding on armature or something? I've never rebuilt a motor before, so not sure what to look for. Did the same when it was in the Manta Ray and the LunchBox.

Gave up with that, and ran my NiCad packs through the BearHawk. It really is great fun with just a Sport Tuned motor, nothing special, but fast enough to challenge the handling on a gravel track. Spent about two hours running that, got through 7 NiCads in it!

Having got my brother into R/C last weekend, had a think about it, and I think I can build a LunchBox from spare VLB and Hornet parts I have. Only thing I have to buy (according to the re-re manual from my previous build) is wheels and tyres, a front bumper, and a motor pinion.

I have a set of original (not re-re) decals, and a tin of TS-16 paint, so I will paint up the body with that, original decals on, and make a shelfer/occasional runner VLB.

so I'm going to lend my runner (with the CVA shocks, upgraded wheelie bar etc.) to my brother, but will probably take the EZ-Run kit out of it and put a Sport Tuned motor back in so he can run it with some spare NiCads and my old clockwork charger. If he keeps it up and wants to get serious, he can buy his own kit!

EZRun is going to go into my new KingCab stadium truck. Finally got my hands on one, after lusting for a Hilux ST for for long, I bought the cheaper KingCab. Turns out the body is exactly the same as an actual Nissan Pickup I used to own about 7-8 years ago! I'd never noticed as the paint jobs usually obscure a lot of the detail. Anyway, I will try to strip the shell and repaint to how my old truck was if I can. Think the KingCab will handle the brushless better than the VLB!

It doesn't drive at the moment though. Wheels spin when not on the ground, then as soon as you set it down, it just makes noise and doesn't move. Assume it's the ball diff that needs to be tightened?

Anyway, I have more projects than runners now (and I have 7 runners!), so I really should do something about that. Fix them up rather than bid on new stuff on ebay.

Still, house we've put an offer on has a massive workshop (current owner is a carpenter), so plenty of space for my modelling in there. Really hope we get it!

Very busy day. Not only did we register our marriage, put in an offer on our first house, and go out for dinner to celebrate but...

Congratulations!!!

Badboy

Congratulations!!!

Badboy

Cheers dude. Been with her now for over 8 years, so thought I better do the honest thing. Proposed to her on her birthday back in February, getting married in September.

As the housing market has collapsed here in the UK, we can finally afford to get on the property ladder, so looking at houses that have large garages or sheds for me to work on my 1:1 cars as well as my r/c stuff. This place has space to build a garage, and two workshops as well. Absolutely perfect - just hope our budget can stretch to it!

Anyone got any tips for the ball diff on the KingCab though? Sounds like it just needs tightening?

Anyone got any tips for the ball diff on the KingCab though? Sounds like it just needs tightening?

Prolly a good idea to pull that ball diff down and check it over. The manual is listed here if you need it (Page 9). Quite a complicated ball diff. I don't see any adjustment apart from shimming it. Check the splines on the outdrives and disc hub.

Congrats on the marriage licence/proposal. My wife and I got engaged on her birthday too, married on mine. I'll never forget my anniversary :P Hope things go well with the property too. :D

If you are running an EZrun set up in the King cab you might want to swap the tranny for something better like the super astute or lethal weapon 2 tranny,

the last one being a great tranny but pricey.

other then that TA-mark is right the only adjustment is by shimming the diff, I had no end of trouble with my hilux running a 14 turn motor until i got a lethal weapon tranny, now any problems i have are down to bad driving.

Stewart

If you are running an EZrun set up in the King cab you might want to swap the tranny for something better like the super astute or lethal weapon 2 tranny,

the last one being a great tranny but pricey.

other then that TA-mark is right the only adjustment is by shimming the diff, I had no end of trouble with my hilux running a 14 turn motor until i got a lethal weapon tranny, now any problems i have are down to bad driving.

Stewart

Do these fit in easily? I've not had a chance to have a look at it yet as I've just been out for a massive run with the Pajero. I managed to make 3 1400mah Tamiya Racing Packs (yes, they are that old!) last for three hours of solid running. Got some good crawling in, some bashing around the grass and pathways, up and down streams (making great bow waves!), all over the place.

Much more satisfying than ten minutes of flat out running with the DF-03 I reckon. Was really good fun seeing what it could and couldn't get up, if only it had more ground clearance...

Successfully improved the turning radius on my vintage Hotshot. It almost turns as tight as my DI now and has no binding or dogbone issue. Ended up making a longer servo arm out of some extra parts and after some dremeling got everything to clear. Can't wait for the rain to quit so I can give it a thorough test outside.

Just bought me self a Grass hoppa!!! ;)

+ some esc's.

Badboy

Picked up my NIB M03 Mini from the Post Office - this is to be my first proper "race car" - cant wait ;)

;):P Took the ancient rebuilt Mardave Meteor LWB that I own out for it's first run in 'oo knows how many years.

Three things are apparent.

1.There's a cat living in the gearbox judging by the amount of yowling it does.

2.It needs more speed Egor.

3.It definitely needs more steering lock.

Waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy different than the Optima Mid I used to race 20 years ago :lol:

Mark

Replaced the manual speed control on the wrx i had for a very longtime already.. Started to run it a bit suddenly it won't run there is steering controls. The novak speed conrol just flicks its light when i engage the throttle..hmm...Wonder whats wrong with it..

Finished my spare Lunch Box body...

newvlb01.th.jpg newvlb02.th.jpg

...realised I have enough spare parts to build a whole new LunchBox (only had to buy tyres!), so am lending my current VLB runner to my brother who I'm trying to entice into r/c again. I'm going to start him off with a stock 'box, then upgrade the motor to a Sport Tuned, then oil-filled shocks, then a faster motor and ESC, eventually all the way up to LiPo and Brushless power with chassis weights etc.

In the meantime I will be building all my parts up into a shelfer/house use 'box, stock. Can anyone spot something special in the pics?

While my bro has my VLB, I have this to amuse myself:

pajero01.th.jpg pajero02.th.jpg pajero03h.th.jpg pajero04.th.jpg

Locked rear diff. Did have a SuperStock BZ motor in it, but that has seized up for some reason. Getting much better run times with very little noticable drop in performance on a standard Mabuchi 540 though, so that will be staying until I can afford a CR-Tuned motor I think. Had a very fun run with it on Sunday, 3 hours with 3 NiCad packs...

Also got all the parts to rebuild my original Hornet in the post today, so that's the next project after the VLB. Might finally build my LunchBox Jr. to accompany it on the shelf though. Oh, and I need to make some progress on the Mardave. And get the second BearHawk up and running (same spec as the current one so I can race it with mates). And fix the Manta Ray. And I've got a Clod and a KingCab in the garage...busy Easter weekend for me!

The Grass Hopper arrived today!!!

Awesome!!!

Badboy

I have tried to formulate a plan to stop me bidding on every **** thing i see on ebay......its working so far.

also worked out the front CVA mount idea for GH

Took the day off school to do coursework ;) now I'm getting my TC5 ready for racing tonight, hoping to follow on from last weeks first and second place and winning the C-Final

Matt

Ive started prepping 7 cars for a full weekend of oval racing, theres 2 Stockrods, 3 Bangers, 1 Saloon Stock and a Ministock - and 15 packs of cells to cycle and charge.

Oh and 4 of the cars need new shells triming and painting - snip snip hack spray spray polish ;)

Here's the Grass Hoppa:

PICT0002-1.jpg

And here's the esc's:

PICT0004-1.jpg

Badboy

A mate of mine said he'd be interested in a quick bash before dinner (we cooked roast pork for them this evening), so we went out with the brushless Lunch Box, the Pajero and I fixed up the Hornet to run with the Ansmann Clash 15T motor.

paj01.th.jpg both01.th.jpg lunch01.th.jpg

His favourite was the Pajero, he totally got the technical crawling aspect rather than going for the out and out speed of the other two, which is interesting. Most people I bash with just want to know how fast it goes, and jam the throttle all the way on.

hornet01.th.jpg hornet02.th.jpg hornet03.th.jpg

A lot of people slag off the Ansmann motors, but for £3 purchased on eBay, this motor goes amazingly well in a light car. Great in the Mini, **** in the Lunch Box, and apparently, great in the Hornet too. Ran for 15 mins with a 1600mah NiCad, fast enough to make kids come up to ask the usual "how fast does it go mister?" questions. I did spend ages trying to work out why the new ESC wouldn't reverse, only to realise I'd bought a Viper Tempo instead of a Viper RV. No wonder it was so cheap!