Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok today is D-day for the merc shell as it's clear coat time it was a lovely day apart from the wind but I was only spraying outside then straight back in for it to dry esp asmthe wife is at work so no moaning about smell. The 2k clear coat in a rattle can had a thingymabob under the base that req pulling and rotating 360 then shaking. The first coat went on a dream and I mean a dream I left it 15 mins before recoat as per instructions from surplyer then I thrown one the second coat and all I can say is wow I have never seen a finish like how that as turned out. 2 coats was all it took. I never expected a finish like that its the second shell I have painted using that paint t and I will use it from know on

• Like 2

Did a little impulse buy today and got these two nice cars 

CB0A3D5A-9A35-4F06-8787-AECF6DC44644_zps

1E8D2204-1266-4AB0-9FCD-ED1E6C7F0332_zps

• Like 3

Tonight I set about reassembling my boys Mad Bull that I stripped and cleaned yesterday.

All went great, it flew back together. I got a new TBLE-02S ESC mounted  -slight error there, I'd meant to keep it loose so I could use it for testing my Blackfoot when I rebuild it, but I servo taped it in. Oops!
I mounted the receiver from the Tactic TTX300 radio, that thing is tiny, about the same size as the Core RC micro receivers. I didn't re-fit the mounting plate for the throttle servo and mechanical speed control, so I was able to mount the ESC and RX in the bottom of the tub. For now I'm just using the Acoms steering servo that it came with. It will probably get updated at a later date but for now it'll do.

During the assembly I did notice the lower mounting eyes on the front shocks are showing signs of wear and fatigue. They will probably be first on the list for an upgrade. But at least a bit of grease has stopped the awful squeaking from the shocks!

Once everything was back together I slid in one of my NiMH packs. I couldn't fully secure it as the packs I have are a bit too long for most Tamiya battery holders, will have to get the boys some shorter ones. I powered up the TX, turned on the switch on the car and had a tentative drive down the hallway.

I was greeted by a horrible grinding, crunching sort of noise.. The gearbox sounds like it is full of gravel. :(

I stripped the gearbox again and had a look. It all looks and feels fine when turning by hand. I added some more grease and tried again. Same result.

So I've ordered a new set of gears, both the plastic and metal gears from the diff. Hopefully that will cure it..

4 hours ago, topforcein said:

Ok today is D-day for the merc shell as it's clear coat time it was a lovely day apart from the wind but I was only spraying outside then straight back in for it to dry esp asmthe wife is at work so no moaning about smell. The 2k clear coat in a rattle can had a thingymabob under the base that req pulling and rotating 360 then shaking. The first coat went on a dream and I mean a dream I left it 15 mins before recoat as per instructions from surplyer then I thrown one the second coat and all I can say is wow I have never seen a finish like how that as turned out. 2 coats was all it took. I never expected a finish like that its the second shell I have painted using that paint t and I will use it from know on

You can't say that and then not show us any pics... 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peter_B said:

Tonight I set about reassembling my boys Mad Bull that I stripped and cleaned yesterday.

All went great, it flew back together. I got a new TBLE-02S ESC mounted  -slight error there, I'd meant to keep it loose so I could use it for testing my Blackfoot when I rebuild it, but I servo taped it in. Oops!
I mounted the receiver from the Tactic TTX300 radio, that thing is tiny, about the same size as the Core RC micro receivers. I didn't re-fit the mounting plate for the throttle servo and mechanical speed control, so I was able to mount the ESC and RX in the bottom of the tub. For now I'm just using the Acoms steering servo that it came with. It will probably get updated at a later date but for now it'll do.

During the assembly I did notice the lower mounting eyes on the front shocks are showing signs of wear and fatigue. They will probably be first on the list for an upgrade. But at least a bit of grease has stopped the awful squeaking from the shocks!

Once everything was back together I slid in one of my NiMH packs. I couldn't fully secure it as the packs I have are a bit too long for most Tamiya battery holders, will have to get the boys some shorter ones. I powered up the TX, turned on the switch on the car and had a tentative drive down the hallway.

I was greeted by a horrible grinding, crunching sort of noise.. The gearbox sounds like it is full of gravel. :(

I stripped the gearbox again and had a look. It all looks and feels fine when turning by hand. I added some more grease and tried again. Same result.

So I've ordered a new set of gears, both the plastic and metal gears from the diff. Hopefully that will cure it..

If you did what I did to my FAV, perhaps you might have missed a shim or bearing inside that gearbox build. I didn't believe it myself that I had messed up like that after all these years, but sure enough, pulled it apart and plain as day, missing a bearing on the inside of the gearcase half where the axle shaft passed through. DOH

4 hours ago, berman said:

I SECOND THAT!!!

• Like 2

SO, today I got up earlyish and mowed my yard and the neighbor's front yard. Took shower, went shopping at the home center, ate a burger out, Talked to Tamiyamandan for about 5 minutes and then the NEW FRIDGE(HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HONEY) showed up, empty out old fridge, vacuum under old fridge, etc, watch men push in and install new fridge water line and all, then the waiting for it to cool off for several hours began. I guess I shouldn't have picked a 90+ degree day to swap out fridges, but who plans these things??? The old 14 year old fridge was "singing" to us whenever the freezer was cooling off, figured it was on its last leg and I don't have room in my garage for the old with what with all my "TOYS" as the wife puts it, so out to the truck went the old fridge. I did score a couple of nice Hot Wheels and played in the garage to get a box ready to ship to my brother and Dan, but I was sweating all the time out there, too bad I can't just sweat off these 30 extra pounds!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

SO, today I got up earlyish and mowed my yard and the neighbor's front yard. Took shower, went shopping at the home center, ate a burger out, Talked to Tamiyamandan for about 5 minutes and then the NEW FRIDGE(HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HONEY) showed up, empty out old fridge, vacuum under old fridge, etc, watch men push in and install new fridge water line and all, then the waiting for it to cool off for several hours began. I guess I shouldn't have picked a 90+ degree day to swap out fridges, but who plans these things??? The old 14 year old fridge was "singing" to us whenever the freezer was cooling off, figured it was on its last leg and I don't have room in my garage for the old with what with all my "TOYS" as the wife puts it, so out to the truck went the old fridge. I did score a couple of nice Hot Wheels and played in the garage to get a box ready to ship to my brother and Dan, but I was sweating all the time out there, too bad I can't just sweat off these 30 extra pounds!!!

Hilarious. You and me both Chris. When we moved 1-1/2 months ago we bought the old owners fridge off them as they offered it to us because it wouldn't fit in there new house and it fitted perfectly in ours. It packed up 2 weeks ago, so barely more than a month. 😡

The freezer over defrosts and freezes the line to the fridge so nothing stays cold. I have been pulling the panel off the freezer and defrosting the core with a heat gun every 4 days since. I got a phone call from the store to say my brand new fridge has turned up and they are going to deliver it tomorrow. I have to install it myself as I won't pay $200 for the guy to as i have to change it to open from the right (90% in the store open from the left and a lot don't have the option to change). 

On a on-topic note, I decaled my bronco last night.

Well, last night really, but made some more progress on my Scania. On to the slower paced painting section now. I'm going to deviate a little from box art and keep it simpler, as i don't think I can achieve clean lines on some parts

IMG_0169.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

If you did what I did to my FAV, perhaps you might have missed a shim or bearing inside that gearbox build. I didn't believe it myself that I had messed up like that after all these years, but sure enough, pulled it apart and plain as day, missing a bearing on the inside of the gearcase half where the axle shaft passed through. DOH

I wish it was simple like that, but no I checked everything and it's all where it should be, I didn't have any left over pieces after pulling it apart and putting it back together.

I didn't test run it, after buying it, before I stripped it down. It could well have been grinding before, could even be the reason why it was sold.

New gears and a new counter shaft are on the way, will hopefully arrive tomorrow. So the only original parts will be the drive shafts. Hopefully that will sort it.

Do the half shafts have thick shims between the E clips and the bearings?

1 minute ago, TurnipJF said:

Do the half shafts have thick shims between the E clips and the bearings?

Yes they have washers between the clips and bearings.

Fitted the universals and aluminium hubs to the XV-01 tonight.  The stabilizer set doesn't include everything you need, which I found out halfway though putting on the rear bar.  It turns out you need extra screws for mounting the bar to the chassis that Tamiya don't include for some reason.  I hopefully have spares, but having to buy the rod stoppers separately was annoying enough.  I see this as the universe punishing me for not following my plan of no hop-ups allowed until I break something.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, berman said:

Hilarious. You and me both Chris. When we moved 1-1/2 months ago we bought the old owners fridge off them as they offered it to us because it wouldn't fit in there new house and it fitted perfectly in ours. It packed up 2 weeks ago, so barely more than a month. 😡

The freezer over defrosts and freezes the line to the fridge so nothing stays cold. I have been pulling the panel off the freezer and defrosting the core with a heat gun every 4 days since. I got a phone call from the store to say my brand new fridge has turned up and they are going to deliver it tomorrow. I have to install it myself as I won't pay $200 for the guy to as i have to change it to open from the right (90% in the store open from the left and a lot don't have the option to change). 

On a on-topic note, I decaled my bronco last night.

Boy, did you get a sharp stick to the eye. We bought our "old" fridge second hand from a friend 7 years ago at age 7 already, so putting 14 years worth of food and all in there was quite a good thing I suppose in the long run.That $200 installation stings too, my fridge came with both free delivery and installation, only catch was that I HAD to buy a new water line for the icemaker as per protocol. $10, so not that bad a deal really. It is finally cold in there and making some paltry portions of ice, so that will be a new thing to get used to.

I did get some hobby time in late last night, one box for Dan ready to go as well as some gold wheels painted for an Instagram photo or two. I am named "cubooth" on IG for all you Hot Wheels fans out there, drop by and give a look.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, berman said:

ha ha sorry but im gonna have to keep you waiting as i want to finish the general build first before i post anymore pics 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

Boy, did you get a sharp stick to the eye. We bought our "old" fridge second hand from a friend 7 years ago at age 7 already, so putting 14 years worth of food and all in there was quite a good thing I suppose in the long run.That $200 installation stings too, my fridge came with both free delivery and installation, only catch was that I HAD to buy a new water line for the icemaker as per protocol. $10, so not that bad a deal really. It is finally cold in there and making some paltry portions of ice, so that will be a new thing to get used to.

I did get some hobby time in late last night, one box for Dan ready to go as well as some gold wheels painted for an Instagram photo or two. I am named "cubooth" on IG for all you Hot Wheels fans out there, drop by and give a look.

Yeah i was hoping it would be free install for ours but we bought it on 'sale' (still nearly a $2k fridge) and our 10+ year old washing machine and our kettle packed it in all in the same weekend. Plus $100 of the $200 was to get a 'authorised installer' to change the door over. I can do that. Our only has the cold water option (and the old fashioned ice tray) but I can't help think of the John Bishop skit on fridges with the cold water 😁 

Hoping to find what I did with my spare 1060 esc (as my bronco got robbed) and take it for a run and hopefully some half decent photos today!

Sorry for the cell pic here:

20170616_183228_LLS_zpsidffrriv.jpg

• Like 2

On 2017-6-15 at 9:45 AM, Badcrumble said:

Tidied up my m chassis build.  

Now need to finish off trimming the body and replace the build wheels with a new set.

IMG_0269_zpstjxl7icn.jpg~original

What is it??? Have a missed a build thread?? Looks like a bit of a Frankenstein rwd converted M03.

I did a bit of trading today and bagged myself two new M01 Mini's. The deal even included a new Mini Countryman shell! 

19141638_10154764947351158_1894868566_n.

19250891_10154764947461158_355888783_n.j

19206334_10154764947671158_1411043358_n.

19250907_10154764948021158_1615682421_n.

And my current shell on one of the new chassis, need to replace those rally block tyres asap!

19206533_10154764949126158_1544552487_n.

• Like 5

I stripped down my Blackfoot, getting it ready for a good scrub.

Found a few bits that need replacing. One part of the front arm fell apart in my hand. Not sure if due to age or previous damage.

Fortunately I have some of the parts already due to ordering some parts trees to get hold of the servo saver parts. Some others I'll need to order.

Other than that, and being filthy, it doesn't seem too bad. Will definitely need some tyres and a body.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, i_am_scarecrow said:

What is it??? Have a missed a build thread?? Looks like a bit of a Frankenstein rwd converted M03.

There's not much new in TC-land, and having seen one thought it might be fun to try. The rear is M04, the front M03. Dual motor, 860 ESC, toe-in rear hubs and universals all round.

It felt wrong doing a build thread when I haven't finished my first one, bit disloyal to the Bowler!

Perhaps a summary thread if/when I finish the body...

You've had a great score with those Minis! Those Clubmans are so rare! Is it an ABC?

I'm working today but this little beaut arriving in the post made up for it somewhat! 

IPyTDGO.jpg

Just missing the spotlights but I have another one at home that's pretty rough looking except for the spots are all there! I'm going to make one for the shelf and the other one I may be crazy and slip a mini brushless motor in there!

After work I'm taking my brushless grasshopper to the beach, it's the only place I enjoy driving it. Even with a silver can 540 it tends to flip over and spend more time on it's roof on most surfaces but at the beach everything handles well!

The solid axle and simple overall construction make it pretty simple to clean afterwards too.

I'm working today but this little beaut arriving in the post made up for it somewhat! 

IPyTDGO.jpg

Just missing the spotlights but I have another one at home that's pretty rough looking except for the spots are all there! I'm going to make one for the shelf and the other one I may be crazy and slip a mini brushless motor in there!

After work I'm taking my brushless grasshopper to the beach, it's the only place I enjoy driving it. Even with a silver can 540 it tends to flip over and spend more time on it's roof on most surfaces but at the beach everything handles well! The solid axle and basic overall design make it easy to clean after going on sand too.

• Like 2

Now have a rolling chassis for my Mercedes G320.

Just need to fit the radio and it should be good to go.

Tried to upload picture but it says too big.

Didnt used to say that.

7 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

There's not much new in TC-land, and having seen one thought it might be fun to try. The rear is M04, the front M03. Dual motor, 860 ESC, toe-in rear hubs and universals all round.

It felt wrong doing a build thread when I haven't finished my first one, bit disloyal to the Bowler!

Perhaps a summary thread if/when I finish the body...

You've had a great score with those Minis! Those Clubmans are so rare! Is it an ABC?

It is yes, was quite excited when I saw it!

What body are you using on yours? I'd really like to see some more pics of the chassis.

9 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

After work I'm taking my brushless grasshopper to the beach, it's the only place I enjoy driving it. Even with a silver can 540 it tends to flip over and spend more time on it's roof on most surfaces but at the beach everything handles well! The solid axle and basic overall design make it easy to clean after going on sand too.

Well that was a fail, **** ESC wouldn't "arm" never had that problem before. ESC makes the initial chime but then doesnt beep twice for the cell count and then make the second chime. Servo works fine so not a radio issue as far as I can tell. Tried a spare RX I happened to have on me but the same thing. Checked and quadruple checked everything but no dice. The only change recently is that I used the same ESC and motor in a different vehicle and then put them back in the Grasshopper.

I gave up trying to get it to work in the end, will take it all apart and have a good look later. It's only a relatively low budget hobbywing leopard 60a so I'm guessing it's either dead or one of the connectors has come loose, apparently quite common with these.