Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Today I've put all my plastic Blackfoot parts in a bowl of fairy liquid and hot water.

The gearbox parts and other aluminium parts I gave a soak in WD40 for 15-20 mins. Then I gave them a scrub with a toothbrush before dumping in their own tub of hot water and fairy.

Any glaring errors there?

3 hours ago, i_am_scarecrow said:

It is yes, was quite excited when I saw it!

What body are you using on yours? I'd really like to see some more pics of the chassis.

Looking forward to seeing those Minis refreshed and that clubman body painted!

I'll get some more pics of the chassis next week and put them. Perhaps I ought to put a thread in the build section after all...

The chassis plates aren't pretty and I don't know whether they will hold up to running. It will be fun finding out!

It will have a Kamtec Minor van ABS shell, which determined a 205mm wheelbase.

My designation for this vehicle was M07 (from 3+4) until the new chassis was announced.

Now it will be the Minortaur.

6 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Have you got the shell yet? I popped in there a couple of weeks back and tried a few shells, the minor bonnet doesn't clear the front M03 shock towers.

44 minutes ago, i_am_scarecrow said:

Have you got the shell yet? I popped in there a couple of weeks back and tried a few shells, the minor bonnet doesn't clear the front M03 shock towers.

Uh oh! Shell is part-trimmed in the garage, chassis on my desk at work. The two were planned to meet once I'd trimmed the body.

I wonder what I could use instead...

My daughter gave her TT-02 Suby XV a proper run in the dirt today:

06.17.2017-19.36.png

And I installed and configured a new WiFi router.  I shouldn't have any signal drops now!  It's a D-Link 3200 Ultra if anyone was curious.

06.17.2017-19.37.png

It was so worth it too.  I was getting ~10 Mb/s using the WiFi router from my ISP.  With the D-Link I get 30-35 Mb/s.  :o  That's more than 3X the throughput!

On 6/16/2017 at 2:27 PM, berman said:

Yeah i was hoping it would be free install for ours but we bought it on 'sale' (still nearly a $2k fridge) and our 10+ year old washing machine and our kettle packed it in all in the same weekend. Plus $100 of the $200 was to get a 'authorised installer' to change the door over. I can do that. Our only has the cold water option (and the old fashioned ice tray) but I can't help think of the John Bishop skit on fridges with the cold water 😁 

Hoping to find what I did with my spare 1060 esc (as my bronco got robbed) and take it for a run and hopefully some half decent photos today!

Sorry for the cell pic here:

20170616_183228_LLS_zpsidffrriv.jpg

GREAT, now I have wasted countless minutes on YOUTUBE watching/listening to his bit, I don't know if I laughed louder at the water bit or the DUMP bit!!!! Thanks for that. Nice sexy Bronco there BTW

On 6/16/2017 at 3:27 PM, i_am_scarecrow said:

I did a bit of trading today and bagged myself two new M01 Mini's. The deal even included a new Mini Countryman shell! 

19141638_10154764947351158_1894868566_n.

19250891_10154764947461158_355888783_n.j

19206334_10154764947671158_1411043358_n.

19250907_10154764948021158_1615682421_n.

And my current shell on one of the new chassis, need to replace those rally block tyres asap!

19206533_10154764949126158_1544552487_n.

Now WHY can't I get that lucky, NICE FIND and the near impossible to get yellow minilite wheels too@!!!! If you really hate those rally block tires, hate them my way. Too bad we aren't a bit closer, we could do some horse trading with those chassis.

16 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

I'm working today but this little beaut arriving in the post made up for it somewhat! 

IPyTDGO.jpg

Just missing the spotlights but I have another one at home that's pretty rough looking except for the spots are all there! I'm going to make one for the shelf and the other one I may be crazy and slip a mini brushless motor in there!

After work I'm taking my brushless grasshopper to the beach, it's the only place I enjoy driving it. Even with a silver can 540 it tends to flip over and spend more time on it's roof on most surfaces but at the beach everything handles well!

The solid axle and simple overall construction make it pretty simple to clean afterwards too.

Would you look at that, smaller scale OVAL BLOCK tires from the HotShot, interesting buggy.

6 hours ago, Peter_B said:

Today I've put all my plastic Blackfoot parts in a bowl of fairy liquid and hot water.

The gearbox parts and other aluminium parts I gave a soak in WD40 for 15-20 mins. Then I gave them a scrub with a toothbrush before dumping in their own tub of hot water and fairy.

Any glaring errors there?

I don't know if I will ever NOT GIGGLE when I read about a car going into "fairy liquid" The poor fairies, how do they make that stuff???

6 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Looking forward to seeing those Minis refreshed and that clubman body painted!

I'll get some more pics of the chassis next week and put them. Perhaps I ought to put a thread in the build section after all...

The chassis plates aren't pretty and I don't know whether they will hold up to running. It will be fun finding out!

My designation for this vehicle was M07 (from 3+4) until the new chassis was announced.

Now it will be the Minortaur.

You know, there are some other options there too, 4+3=7(X2)= M14, or there is 4x3= M12 or even 4+3=7(squared)= M49, the possiblities could be more than that.

1 hour ago, Effigy3 said:

My daughter gave her TT-02 Suby XV a proper run in the dirt today:

06.17.2017-19.36.png

And I installed and configured a new WiFi router.  I shouldn't have any signal drops now!  It's a D-Link 3200 Ultra if anyone was curious.

06.17.2017-19.37.png

It was so worth it too.  I was getting ~10 Mb/s using the WiFi router from my ISP.  With the D-Link I get 30-35 Mb/s.  :o  That's more than 3X the throughput!

I SEE A CLEAN SPOT, GET BACK OUT THERE AND GET MORE DIRT ON THAT CAR(BTW, it is the body post that is clean) And that router!!??!?!(*)( Wow, looks like the machines will eventually take us over. Does it have a glowing eye that moves like a Cylon or KITT???

• Like 2

Well , Yesterday i got out my Vintage wildone , with re re rear shocks & run it on my track .

Well it was great fun & would do with a balldiff . So i was playing & looking at the rear wheel as

it didn't look great :(  .

ec6f3815f0fc3372c0f0b303ee1799f2_zpsu7z7

So i had to stop & was thinking it needs a good tidy up & put new front shocks & wheels all round . Redid the rear

shocks , oil seals etc .  Redid diff & put in ALOT of antiwear grease on metal gears to help to lock it up ish :lol:  .

This is a runner .

cdb01e38d9275709a4e06a33a98bcee7_zpslght

Now it's ready to run again . I want to get the rear shocks softer , need to find better springs , soft would be great . 

As it's bouncy , so they are not working to well . Way to stiff :(  . Now it will be great if Pintopower gets the ball diff

done for this & of course the hotshot etc buggys . 

• Like 2

Today I swapped to a rear gear diff on my Tamiya F150 TA02 chassis. The stock rear ball diff always slipped no matter what I tried since it was new. Its the only one that I've ever had that always slipped... But now the truck has 4wd like its meant to. Plus who wants a Fwd 4x4!  -lol

• SP-602 Diff Bevel Set
  • SP-529 Touring & Rally Gear Set

Picture 002.jpg

9 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:
On 6/17/2017 at 10:34 AM, nowinaminute said:

Would you look at that, smaller scale OVAL BLOCK tires from the HotShot, interesting buggy.

Toy grade really was a different world in the late 80s/early 90s. Not quite hobby grade (although some Nikko stuff pretty much was) but worlds apart from modern toy stuff too. Toy grade stuff back then kind of went off in a different direction somewhere between the two with some amazing design and engineering. Taiyo blatantly "took inspiration" from many Tamiya designs back then which wasn't necessarily such a bad thing. The Taiyo Jet Fighter was very much a homage to the Boomerang with a little bit of Bigwig thrown in! And there was a twin motor "mini King Cab" too!

JF22[1].png

ce65e9d5d6994c3bb8fdc74adcdb0179[1].jpg

Took my 58110 Super Blackfoot out for some photos.

Not many inner or out of box of these about. I could only find 2 entries with generic all in one shots in the showrooms and none on Google.

All specific parts are labelled Super Blackfoot including the chrome grills and driver set, blisters all good, body and chassis together in a bag. Interesting that the card insert/box divider is correctly stamped/embossed 58110. Only parts not sealed are the rims but they are correct.

The parts box still has the seals on it but they have lifted so I opened it.

IMG_20170618_122254584-1047x588.jpg

IMG_20170618_122302912-1047x588.jpg

IMG_20170618_122327727-1047x588.jpg

IMG_20170618_122312404-1047x588.jpg

IMG_20170618_122350928_HDR-1047x588.jpg

IMG_20170618_122522235-1047x588.jpg

IMG_20170618_123314718-1047x588.jpg

IMG_20170618_122856173-1047x588.jpg

IMG_20170618_123129163-1047x588.jpg

IMG_20170618_122955494-1047x588.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

Today I swapped to a rear gear diff on my Tamiya F150 TA02 chassis. The stock rear ball diff always slipped no matter what I tried since it was new. Its the only one that I've ever had that always slipped... But now the truck has 4wd like its meant to. Plus who wants a Fwd 4x4!  -lol

• SP-602 Diff Bevel Set
  • SP-529 Touring & Rally Gear Set

Picture 002.jpg

That sure looks good with that body on it, who made that body?? I am wondering what it might look like with some Lowride MP wheels and some cool 4x4 1.9 tires

3 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

Toy grade really was a different world in the late 80s/early 90s. Not quite hobby grade (although some Nikko stuff pretty much was) but worlds apart from modern toy stuff too. Toy grade stuff back then kind of went off in a different direction somewhere between the two with some amazing design and engineering. Taiyo blatantly "took inspiration" from many Tamiya designs back then which wasn't necessarily such a bad thing. The Taiyo Jet Fighter was very much a homage to the Boomerang with a little bit of Bigwig thrown in! And there was a twin motor "mini King Cab" too!

That sure does look like a Boomer and BW offspring, pretty cool. I think the Nissan King Cab got a ton of toys made for it as it has that great color scheme on it.

2 hours ago, Prescient said:

Took my 58110 Super Blackfoot out for some photos.

Not many inner or out of box of these about. I could only find 2 entries with generic all in one shots in the showrooms and none on Google.

All specific parts are labelled Super Blackfoot including the chrome grills and driver set, blisters all good, body and chassis together in a bag. Interesting that the card insert/box divider is correctly stamped/embossed 58110. Only parts not sealed are the rims but they are correct.

The parts box still has the seals on it but they have lifted so I opened it.

OUCH, you are digging those nails into my eyes. I have looked all over for just the SBF box and they really don't come up for sale on eBay much. The last one I saw came complete with a beat up chassis as such, but I just couldn't add another project or pile o parts to my collection, so I let it slip through my fingers. Some day, I might have that box.

37 minutes ago, Crash Cramer said:

OUCH, you are digging those nails into my eyes. I have looked all over for just the SBF box and they really don't come up for sale on eBay much. The last one I saw came complete with a beat up chassis as such, but I just couldn't add another project or pile o parts to my collection, so I let it slip through my fingers. Some day, I might have that box.

Yer, this came as the full kit boxed with owner history which is good.

I hadn't appreciated how rare they are in this condition especially in the UK. 

The kit the seller has that I was really after was the Bush Devil; since that was in a mib condition I hadn't seen since my new one all those years ago. To make the deal palatable I bought several kits. In many way the Super Blackfoot was a happy coincidence. I spent more £ but got more........

I'm not having much luck this weekend! I still haven't looked at what's wrong with my Brushless Grasshopper's ESC because I've been busy looking after my daughter but she went home a little earlier so I thought I'd have a bash with one of my hobby converted toy grades and do a little photo shoot too while the weathers nice. I only got as far as trying to change the model memory on my Flysky GT3C from the Grasshopper to the Radio Shack Jeep when the thumb wheel switch thingy broke off and disappeared into the casing. I opened the case up and used an allen key to temporarily spin the mechanism and switched the model memory to my Jeep. I gave the Jeep a quick test in the living room to make sure the TX was working ok and a gear stripped on the servo.....

I'm giving up for this evening.....

Here is a few more pics of the Bush Devil. All sealed and original. Even the parts box and tyre box are still sealed and the body shell stapled to the backing card.

It came with a rather nice RC Line 1994 brochure with a great line up of RC cars featured. 

Like the Super Blackfoot you don't see many Bush Devils in this condition. This was my first Tamiya RC kit I built although I won't be building this one.

IMG_20170617_140615955_crop_531x438.jpg

IMG_20170618_120938186-1336x752.jpg

IMG_20170618_121107069-1336x752.jpg

IMG_20170618_121639407-1336x752.jpg

IMG_20170618_121715563-1336x752.jpg

4 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

That sure looks good with that body on it, who made that body?? I am wondering what it might look like with some Lowride MP wheels and some cool 4x4 1.9 tires

Its a Proline brand body  .   https://www.prolineracing.com

Wheels - I like the appearance of those stock Tamiya wheels. They were a major selling point for me to buy this truck. But I swapped the body because in the present day of stadium trucks from other brands out performing this Tamiya model. I didn't want its performance to not backup its looks. So a more stock truck body seemed more correct. Plus a like the retro look.

Today I pulled the 50's Chevy body as I'm looking at touching up the chipped paint. (Back story, I drove this truck on a race track for a while, and subsequently it got crashed into numerous times by other drivers.) I'm thinking about painting the chips in another color in order to get a more patina appearance. But I'm not totally sure how the outcome will look. My other thought is to repaint them in the same color in knowing that the touch ups will be obvious and view able from the outside of the body. Old trucks always have dents and dings. So maybe the touch ups will give it this appearance. I don't know, I suppose I will just "wing-it" and we will see how it turns out!

Have just rebuilt my boys Mad Bull gearbox with new gears and counter shaft.

The nasty grinding noise is gone but it's still not quiet. I guess that's just the nature of the beast

Got the grass cut and had a rather pleasant hour or so bashing my cars around the freshly mown lawn. I also managed to get myself sunburnt somewhere during the day so now I've got three cars to clean grass clippings out of and after sun to put onto the back of my neck. 

All in all a pretty good wee day 

• Like 1

So, having put the Mad Bull back together, I thought I'd give it a little test outside.

Put one of my 4500mah NiMH packs in which are a bit long, so I couldn't clip it in. It'll be ok I thought, I'm only having a little go on the flat.

Obviously the battery slid out and got dragged along and now has a few scars in the heatshrink.

Bit annoyed at that.

• Like 2

I finally got around to cutting out the body for the Ultima, which took an hour and a half! Someone said they find this relaxing...

The body I have is a JConcepts one so once I worked that out it became easier. Because the car has multiple options for motor position and gearbox type there is a lot of work to get the body to fit.

My wife loves storage stuff and found these boxes which she thought would be perfect for my cars. She was right. 1 box per car and they have a tray insert thing which can take the spares, wheels etc for the car. This will make life a lot easier taking the 2 cars plus tools to the track. Toolbox has room for the universal stuff like charger, batteries and tools, the boxes can take the stuff thats specific to the cars. Just like a hauler bag but 1/6 the price. Perfect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

My wife loves storage stuff

Your wife hates clutter mate, especially all your toy car nonsense...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StrokerBoy said:

Your wife hates clutter mate, especially all your toy car nonsense...

Haha she would say the same thing...then leave her stuff all over the place and always getting round to putting it away! Although she bought a bunch, toy boxes for our son and I guess toy boxes for me

She has been pretty good about the toy car nonsense so far, although tapped out for a while now at 7 cars, next car is Christmas I think, my son wants a Monster Beetle to go with his Plasma Edge II and Novafox and who am I to argue?

• Like 1

Just now, Peter_B said:

@Jonathon Gillham Have you got a pic of those storage boxes mate?

I will try, I need to work out how to post pictures - I'm not nearly as old as that suggests!

Its this range, the 27 litre bin fits a buggy in the bottom with wheels, body and wing on, then the storage tray (called utility tray white) goes on top and that is big enough to hold tyres, spares etc, then a lid on that.

http://sistemaplastics.com/products/storage

That probably means I don't need to work out posting pictures! 

13 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I will try, I need to work out how to post pictures - I'm not nearly as old as that suggests!

Its this range, the 27 litre bin fits a buggy in the bottom with wheels, body and wing on, then the storage tray (called utility tray white) goes on top and that is big enough to hold tyres, spares etc, then a lid on that.

http://sistemaplastics.com/products/storage

That probably means I don't need to work out posting pictures! 

That's great thanks. I like the idea of being able to have a box, with parts tray, for each buggy. Unfortunately the 27 litre box isn't wide enough for my Twin Detonator (not with wheels on anyway).